AFTERMERLE 24-Oct-18
Jaquomo 24-Oct-18
Kodiak 24-Oct-18
cnelk 24-Oct-18
Kodiak 24-Oct-18
Ironbow 24-Oct-18
eBike John 24-Oct-18
22-Oct-18
I'm Considering purchasing my 1st Ebike for bow hunting. I hunt a lot of public land and getting in deep in an area without spooking game seems at least a possibility using an ebike. I'm used to hoofing it in but alerting game has been an issue. Add in that at 62 yr young those strolls are getting longer. Quick, quite, and less scent are a plus in my book.

22-Oct-18
Just make sure you fully understand the rules regarding e-bike use on the public land where you wish to use it. Generally, if the trail use rule states no motorized vehicles, that excludes e-bikes, even if they are just pedal assist. But there are exceptions, depending on the state and the type of public land.

22-Oct-18

eBike John's Link
Have you seen the feature that Pat did back in a couple months back on the Quietkat ebike? I sell multiple ebike brands geared towards hunting and I'd be happy to help you out. I also offer all Bowsiters a discount so if you want to reach out and look at a few options I can help you.

John

22-Oct-18
I`m getting one....just haven`t figured out which one yet. Pricing seems to becoming more reasonable.

22-Oct-18
I love mine, I use it way more than I ever dreamed.

23-Oct-18
Hey Franklin, Grubby, Which brand did you go with?

23-Oct-18
I have a Rambo. My only complaints are that the bottom bracket is low so I often hit the ground with the pedals and that the rear derailer is unprotected and very vulnerable.

23-Oct-18
I am looking hard at Haibike. Anybody have experience with the Fatsix?

23-Oct-18

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
My only complaint with the Rambo is the same as grubby's. My girlfriend's RAD has 2" higher pedal clearance and was only $1500 to her door. They are amazing tools.

Rules vary. Here in CO they are considered a "bicycle" by law (Class 1 and 2) and permitted wherever other bikes can go. They are allowed in State Forest, State Parks, State Wildlife areas where bikes are permitted, and most county open spaces. USFS will eventually allow them on bike trails and closed roads, but as the Regional Trails Manager told me, the wheels turn slowly in DC. USFS and BLM initially lumped all e-bikes together with their travel rules where other jurisdictions like the State of CO recognize the distinction between pedal-assist and a true motorized bike more powerful than 749 watts.

23-Oct-18

TravisScott's embedded Photo
Well I’m in the later third of my season and wanted to give some updates on the performance of the Rungu eBike. So, to start the conversation one of the main questions I’ve had was “how the bike would perform in the mud”? A simple answer would be “great”! It wasn’t crazy deep mud but the slick “moondust” type that you often run across in the south west.

The next big question that I have gotten was how the range will restrict the hunting? Honestly this is a major question I had as well. So far, I haven’t run into an issue. I have had several days that I have had to run one of the cheapo Harbor Freight generators for a couple of hours near the truck to recharge at night but during the day I had plenty of juice to get around.

Overall, I have found the function of the bike to be incredible and in all honestly, it’s been a game changer on how I view hunts. Here in California there are almost endless trails in the unit I’ve been running around in. What the bike has allowed me to do is run these trails in a fraction of the time and energy to hike them. After I get to a ridge or drain that I want to be in, I’d park the bike and begin my hunting. I was in a situation at that point where instead of hiking 10- or 15-miles round trip and spiking out, I was able to get back to the truck every night. With this being my first true year hunting in California it’s been vital that I stay mobile. While this year has been a learning curb on what low deer densities really look like, I have been starting to figure it out. Unfortunately, the only thing I have to show for my efforts so far is hair off a bucks back after a LONG stalk. Hopefully this weekend changes the look of things.

Some of the things I have noticed the Rungu bike really showing the design difference is for me as a novice rider. It is very stable, even with a pack and bow on my back, I felt very stable on some skinny trails. The places it showed it’s worth the most is when I was riding on some skinny trails where if I was to fall I’d have a LONG LONG time to think about what just happened before I found the bottom.

I hope this helps

Good Luck to everyone as we start to come up on the home stretch of the year!

23-Oct-18

Well I’m in the later third of my season and wanted to give some updates on the performance of the Rungu eBike. So, to start the conversation one of the main questions I’ve had was “how the bike would perform in the mud”? A simple answer would be “great”! It wasn’t crazy deep mud but the slick “moondust” type that you often run across in the south west.

The next big question that I have gotten was how the range will restrict the hunting? Honestly this is a major question I had as well. So far, I haven’t run into an issue. I have had several days that I have had to run one of the cheapo Harbor Freight generators for a couple of hours near the truck to recharge at night but during the day I had plenty of juice to get around.

Overall, I have found the function of the bike to be incredible and in all honestly, it’s been a game changer on how I view hunts. Here in California there are almost endless trails in the unit I’ve been running around in. What the bike has allowed me to do is run these trails in a fraction of the time and energy to hike them. After I get to a ridge or drain that I want to be in, I’d park the bike and begin my hunting. I was in a situation at that point where instead of hiking 10- or 15-miles round trip and spiking out, I was able to get back to the truck every night. With this being my first true year hunting in California it’s been vital that I stay mobile. While this year has been a learning curb on what low deer densities really look like, I have been starting to figure it out. Unfortunately, the only thing I have to show for my efforts so far is hair off a bucks back after a LONG stalk. Hopefully this weekend changes the look of things.

Some of the things I have noticed the Rungu bike really showing the design difference is for me as a novice rider. It is very stable, even with a pack and bow on my back, I felt very stable on some skinny trails. The places it showed it’s worth the most is when I was riding on some skinny trails where if I was to fall I’d have a LONG LONG time to think about what just happened before I found the bottom.

I hope this helps

Good Luck to everyone as we start to come up on the home stretch of the year!

23-Oct-18
Sorry for the double post

24-Oct-18
Have you guys had any issues with flat tires? Is that a potential problem or no big deal? Do you run Slime in the tires?

24-Oct-18
I have been running a Quite Kat Ambush,it is a great bike for out west here in Arizona and climbs hills well . The Ambush mid drive motor puts out much more torque than all the rear drive hub motors. it is a 750 watt motor and run it where you want to out here. be careful I'm 220lbs and it will run 25 mph and last right at 20 miles on regular roads with no assist more if you help it out . I run slime in my tires . i bought mine from the only dealer in AZ it was in chandler.

24-Oct-18
I put Tuff Goo in my tubes and also installed tire liners. All was good for lots of rides in all sorts of sharp rocks, goat heads and nasty stuff until I ran over some Russian olive branches someone had trimmed beside a city trail the GF and I were riding to go fishing. Those thorns drove through the liners and the Goo didnt help. I now carry a patch kit and a little CO2 tire filler kit.

Otherwise we ride all over in sharp rocks with no problems.

24-Oct-18
Thanks Travis for the update on the Rungu. I haven't had a lot of real world feedback on that one yet so that is very helpful!

24-Oct-18
Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased m2s All-Terrain R750 Fat tire out of North Carolina. It is set to be delivered Friday. I visited 2 bike shops and talked by phone with a local pro rider and all 3 seemed impression with the m2s Ebike (Specs) and my choice. I will be accessorizing locally as needs arise. The shops here recommend going tubeless with some kind of pressure sealant (not Slime).

24-Oct-18
When I started looking into maybe buying an Ebike. I had no clue there was so many options to choose from. I knew of Quiet Kat and maybe one other. The prices range from several hundred to several thousand. Interestingly enough, Dealing with state agencies clarify the legality of using one on public lands is quite comical. I called Kansas P&W and received 2 similar answers of sorts, "Good question, I don't have an answer". A face to face here at the OKDW on the other hand stated "its up to your local game warden", Where upon I asked "How many of them are in this State", "Lots" was their only reply".

24-Oct-18
Aftermerle, I went through all that confusion here in CO too. At least the State law is in place allowing them wherever regular bikes can go, unless a local jurisdiction rules otherwise.

But some agencies allow Class 1 but not Class 2. I haven't gotten an answer on whether I have to physically remove the throttle or can simply disconnect it to make mine "Class 1". I rarely use the throttle anyway so it doesn't matter to me. But nobody has ever checked so it's probably like the minimum bow draw weight rule.

The funniest thing is on USFS, where even USFS folks don't know their own rules and don't seem to care. This summer I encountered 9 different USFS folks back in on closed logging roads and nobody said anything besides how cool they seem to be. One USFS guy rode his conventional MTB along with us for awhile and joked that he needed to get one. A supervisor suggested other closed roads we could ride, where deadfall had been cleared.

24-Oct-18
I don't like it. To get back into my Colorado elk country I use a normal bike with my leg power. These motorized bikes will effectively shrink the country and essentially open up closed logging roads to everyone.

Nope, I don't like it.

24-Oct-18
" These motorized bikes will effectively shrink the country and essentially open up closed logging roads to everyone. "

Podcasts, YouTube and other social media outlets have already done a good job of doing that

24-Oct-18
Yeah but the average hunter isn't willing to pedal as far as I am. Now they don't have to, apparently. It makes it too easy, shrinks public ground.

24-Oct-18
Forget Slime, it is a terrible sealant. It will clog your valve stem far better than punctures!

The best I have used in my bike shop is Flat Attack if you are going to run tubes. It is completely biodegradable and works. Going tubeless also works well, just be sure you understand how it works. Orange Seal is probably the best tubeless sealant I have tried.

24-Oct-18
Since 2016 the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) have been using Quietkat 1000 watt ebikes to patrol the lands so I wouldn't worry about class 1 or class 2 ebikes. If anything they are in favor since they see the benefits..

• Sitka Gear