wytex 22-Oct-18
Lost Arra 22-Oct-18
ROUGHCOUNTRY 22-Oct-18
Pyrannah 22-Oct-18
Lost Arra 22-Oct-18
Whocares 22-Oct-18
NoWiser 23-Oct-18
22-Oct-18
I'm curious to hear if any Colorado or Wyoming elk hunters got their elk tested?

How was the logistics of submitting sample and getting results?

This is something I'm afraid may be coming down the road in a lot of areas and not in a voluntary way.

22-Oct-18
You can stop at the Vet Lab in Laramie, Snowy Range Rd exit I-80. Go behind the building and they will take a sample from your animal. All G&F offices can also do it and check stations should be able to take a sample.

22-Oct-18
I know exactly where the lab is located but logistically it's a pain when you are looking ahead to a 900 mile drive home. I've never had a check station employee mention CWD even with numerous elk in the trailer and hunting the "hot zone" of Wyoming.

22-Oct-18
Just took my kids on a youth hunt here in Montana and they are collecting lymph nodes and brain tissue for testing..........results back in 3 weeks. They said antelope are immune.....didn't care about the one we had. The question is AFTER you've cut it up or paid for processing, do you throw it out with a positive test? They admitted it hasn't been documented of being passed to humans......

22-Oct-18
Yes, throw it away

22-Oct-18

Lost Arra's Link
From the CDC

22-Oct-18
Dropped my buck head off at a wildlife office this morning. They simply fill out a form, ask location of kill, and give you a receipt so you can check the results in about two weeks. Cut the antlers off before you take it in. If you are doing a European mount then you'd wait for them to get the sample. Have to clean the skull before you take it out of state.

23-Oct-18
I shot a buck last week on Tuesday. I drove it to a game check station where they removed the lymph nodes as I observed. It was quick and painless and I had my results yesterday, just 6 days later. My dad shot a buck on Friday morning of last week and I removed the lymph nodes myself. It was very easy after watching it once. I called the Cody regional office and the lady was super helpful and directed me to a truck stop right on our way home where I could drop them off to be later collected by a Game and Fish employee. It couldn't have been easier. I'd call the regional office of the area you are hunting and talk to them. They'll help you out. There's probably a video out there somewhere that shows how to remove them.

My deer came back negative which surprised me a bit given it's age and that it was shot in a hotbed for CWD. Still waiting on Dad's results back. I was not going to eat it if I got positive results. I was on the fence about personally consuming it, but there was no way I was giving it to my 2 year old daughter.

• Sitka Gear