Franklin 25-Oct-18
skinner creek 25-Oct-18
PAstringking 25-Oct-18
Chainsaw 04-Nov-18
Franklin 04-Nov-18
Chainsaw 04-Nov-18
XbowfromNY 05-Nov-18
24-Oct-18
So i posted the other day about what would you hunt..... And really got to thinking, i want to try my luck at a mountain lion, with my bow. Has anyone been with a guide you would 100% recommend? I think i would prefer ( if they still do it) an "on call" hunt, where they cut fresh tracks and you hop on a plane! Let me know if you have any insight, obviously doing lots of google searching, but there is so many out there where do you even start to look!

24-Oct-18
I would just find an outfit that calls you once the cat is treed. ;) The least amount of hunting the better.

24-Oct-18
Here is two names for Alberta. Kelly Morton Hunting Adventures - Has Facebook page I believe, not sure if he is setup to take non residents.

or

Byron Stewart of Tracks N Trails Outfitting (TNT) http://www.tntoutfitting.com/

24-Oct-18

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo
I had an incredible hunt last January in Nevada with Dave Gowan of Canyon's West Guide service and absolutely would recommend him 100%.

24-Oct-18
Canyons West 100%

24-Oct-18
that looks like a blast stek!

24-Oct-18
LINK.... i meant as in.... i don't want to book a date if the conditions are no good, several outfitters offer it, i'm guessing its totally unpredictable...unlike lets say a deer, when if your in the Midwest, anytime in November is great, every single year..... im guessing lions are not the same way!

24-Oct-18
I’m betting there are a lot of Midwest whitetail hunters that would disagree with all of November being great.

Steve’s a big guy. That’s a BIG cat.

24-Oct-18
Cat track outfitters in collbran colorado, he is pretty close to 100% success rate. Dogs work well in snow and dry ground. Snow conditions sucked when i went and still managed a p&y cat on day 1

24-Oct-18
I would recommend "on-call" if at all possible. I went a few years back and didn't have that flexibility. I set the dates and went and unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. We had no fresh snow in 10 days. The snow we had was crusted over due to a warm spell then refreezing. We tried hard and covered a lot of ground but it just wasn't in the cards for me that trip as we never cut a fresh track. Best of luck!

24-Oct-18
I would recommend "on-call" if at all possible. I went a few years back and didn't have that flexibility. I set the dates and went and unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. We had no fresh snow in 10 days. The snow we had was crusted over due to a warm spell then refreezing. We tried hard and covered a lot of ground but it just wasn't in the cards for me that trip as we never cut a fresh track. Best of luck!

24-Oct-18
No doubt Track Em outfitters in Howard colorado.

24-Oct-18
My hunt was "on call" in that I got the call when a good storm was in the forecast. I got out there the day before it hit and stayed in the hotel while it dumped on the mountains.

24-Oct-18
Wade Eckel (Arizona) if you want dry-ground, no snow needed.

24-Oct-18
g5smoke ill be headed out with cat track this January for lion cant wait

24-Oct-18
Not sure if he’s still guiding but Don Schauffler our of Ennis Mt was great he use to be stay till you kill your cat... and was 100% on mature toms... on the other hand he only took a few hunters a year

24-Oct-18
If you wanted to hunt Colorado I'd give Dick and Mike Ray a shout at Lobo Outfitters. They're out of Pagosa Springs. Mike is an excellent Houndsman and a great guy. They'll treat you right.

24-Oct-18
Can you book a Spider Cat hunt?

24-Oct-18

SS75's embedded Photo
SS75's embedded Photo
Noah Wiggans, just north of Calgary, has a great area and kills huge toms every year, you can book a hunt with him through BSC.

24-Oct-18
Ss75 that looks like a huge cat what did He weight

25-Oct-18
I personally enjoy hunting cats on horseback....S. Colorado...New Mexico etc. There are some huge cats being taken in the Pagosa area like "linehunter" suggested.

25-Oct-18
You need to decide if you want any cat, which would included females and youg toms or a big tom. then start doing your home work. If you are really looking for a big tom I would look at Alberta or the the Cariboo Chilcotin area of BC. For the amount of cats shot in the southern 48 not many are BIG toms, a good cat on the most part will be 130-150 down south. I hope this helps on your search.

PS: I don't do on call hunts, I expect the hunter to hunt along with me. If not it is just a hike and shoot.

25-Oct-18

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
I took this cat in southern Utah in mid December a few years back. It is a great area for cats but it is not typical to shoot a "giant" by BC/Alberta standards. Took him on the 6th morning of my hunt. A great overall experience.

04-Nov-18
Who hunts cats on horseback Franklin? That sounds like a lot of fun! I’m interested!

04-Nov-18
I actually went on the Tortensen Ranch in New Mexico....the former RMEF headquarters....in New Mexico. It was a blast and a very traditional feel to it. Chasing a cat on a ATV or snowmobile didn`t really get it for me (IMO). I went with the great houndsman Orville Fletcher but he was 85 at the time and I doubt he is still around. That ornery old cus rode me like a rented mule....lol. He was a "trip" to hunt with. He actually had his hounds the "Fletcher Hound" recognized as a hound breed. It was one of my all time favorite hunts....very western.

04-Nov-18
That would be awesome. I would definitely be interested if anyone has an outfitter that hunts cats on horseback that they would recommend.

05-Nov-18
Chainsaw - I'm pretty sure Wade Eckel in Arizona will do horseback if you want. But he will tell you that you will cover way more ground each day on ATV than horse.

• Sitka Gear