Contributors to this thread:
DMTJAGER 24-Oct-18
Paul@thefort 24-Oct-18
Glunker 24-Oct-18
midwest 25-Oct-18
DMTJAGER 26-Oct-18
craig@work 27-Oct-18
24-Oct-18
Thanks in no small part to the members here I have my bow shooting my fixed blade BH's and FP's within a few inches of each other out to 40 yards. I have two questions. First one is about my fixed blade 100 grain Wasp Boss SST broad heads. I did all my shooting using the 3 blade version and they are flying like lasers. About 2 or 3 years ago stumbled across a fantastic deal on the four blade version and thought WTH might as well give them a try. Well the 100 grain 4 blade version flies so close to the same point of impact at all distances as the VS the 3 blade that the difference is utterly negligible. My only question is does anyone know if a 4 blade broad head will penetrate significantly less due to the added resistance of the forth blade VS the 3 blade version of the otherwise same broad head? I'm shooting a 434 grain arrow at 272fps. I am of the opinion penetration is the most important factor in killing an animal with a arrow.

Second question is concerning nocks. I have two different types of Easton nocks one is noticeably tighter on the string than the other. The one that has a looser but more than adequately tight hold on my string are the ones I am using now. I haven't bothered trying any of the other tighter type out as its less than two weeks to my first hunt and I feel it unwise to risk experimenting with my set up now that it's dialed in. But I was wondering can a to tight of nock have a detrimental affect on your arrows accuracy? I know short answer is shoot some and find out, but it can not hurt to be for warned ahead of time. Thanks Art.

24-Oct-18
" I am of the opinion penetration is the most important factor in killing an animal with an arrow".

Not to pick apart your post but....

While penetration is important, a Sharp BH and Proper Shot Placement is the number one factor in killing an animal at one's effective range.

24-Oct-18
You are over thinking the 3 blade vs 4 blade issue regarding penetration. I did not know that could be a 4 blade version. Hope the offer it in a 125 gr. version.

25-Oct-18

26-Oct-18
Thanks for the link Midwest, excellent video explains nock tightness "ArthurProof simple", and thank you to others who replied. Paul no disrespect meant what so ever, but shot placement and a scary hair popping sharp broad heads are requirements that are pure common sense and the cornerstone basics of all successful archery hunts I felt need not be mentioned any more than one needs tell a rifle hunter to use expanding bullets suitable for deer and not solid non-expanding dangerous game and to confirm 100% their scopes properly sighted in if they desire a quick clean humane kill. Again no disrespect meant but I feel there are certain things any hunter above complete novice need not be told.

27-Oct-18
The way I understand it is that a 3 blade cuts in 3 different planes of tissue where a 4 blade cuts in 2. I like my 4 blades.

• Sitka Gear