Outside 28-Oct-18
Bowriter 28-Oct-18
Lark Bunting 28-Oct-18
Lark Bunting 28-Oct-18
Kevin @ Wisconsin 28-Oct-18
Lark Bunting 28-Oct-18
Lark Bunting 28-Oct-18
27-Oct-18
Any recommendations for good jerky recipes and tutorials? I’ve never made it before. I do have an electric smoker I’ve never used either.

Usually have to stretch out game meat to make it a year so jerky has never made it up the opportunity list. Absolutely NOT the case this year!!!...and we still have a late bull tag to fill.

27-Oct-18
Soy,woshtershire,Tabasco , salt pepper, mustard, lil maple syrup. Soak for 1 day. I have to fight the kids off

Jd

27-Oct-18
I think soy and woershestire are the main ingredients to the best jerky. After that it's just seasoning with whatever you like best. More tobacco, cayenne, crushed red peppers if you like it hot. Add garlic if that's your thing. Just experiment.

27-Oct-18
Just finished a batch of venison jerky tonight. It’s headed to my Adirondacks hunting camp Monday! Kids are hitting it hard already, hope it lasts!!! 4 lbs ground venison (thin strips will work also) I use a jerky gun. 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup soy low salt 1 cup teriyaki 1 tbs garlic powder 1 tbs onion powder 1/2 tbs black pepper 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper 1/2 tbs liquid smoke Mix all ingredients together then mix it into the venison. Refridge overnight. In the dehydrator for about 4 hrs. Sometimes I do longer or less time depending on how “dry” I want it. I also sometimes and more or add less of some of these ingredients just to try something different. There is no wrong or right, depends on what you like. This recipe is a good base, google jerky recipes and all these ingredients will be listed. Make a batch like this and then adjust to your tastes.

28-Oct-18
Thanks. Daughter shot her first deer yesterday and she really likes jerky so we’ll start cooking tomorrow!!

28-Oct-18

midwest's Link
This is a pretty good site. I prefer "cured" jerky using sodium nitrite. I also like mine smoked rather than using a dehydrator so I leave out the liquid smoke in any recipe that calls for it.

28-Oct-18
I use nothing but ground meat in a "Jerky Shooter" can get from BP or most any big box store. Use LEM's jerky seasoning according to recipe, (can find on line) put in oven with door open for about 40-minutes on 200. Put in smoker, low heat, high smoke for an hour.

28-Oct-18

midwest's Link
If you want to try some premixed stuff, you might check out Curley's Sausage Kitchen. He lives nearby and I just picked up the Spicy Cowboy and Chipotle Pepper jerky seasonings yesterday.

At my link...

28-Oct-18

Outside's embedded Photo
This mix is really good. I always finish this one in the smoker.
Outside's embedded Photo
This mix is really good. I always finish this one in the smoker.

28-Oct-18
The phone number for LEMs is 877/536-7763. Based in West Chester, O. He has the jerky guns and all the various seasonings for jerky and sausage.

28-Oct-18

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
I use Mccormick's seasoning/marinade and follow the instructions on the package but only add a tablespoon of oil. I will also shake some Tones 6 pepper seasoning on some for spice.

I like my jerky extra dry so leave it on my dehydrator for about 5 hours.

It's rare I ever get to freeze some but I have a secret stash for my brother when he comes to visit. Usually it's just my daughter and I that eat it.

28-Oct-18
Anyone ever end up with venison jerky that tastes really fishy? It's few and far between but when I get one of those batches it sucks. Not sure if it's the cut of meat or the marinade or just a mystery.

28-Oct-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Lark did you use Worcestershire? It is mostly anchovies that might be where you are getting your fishiness.

28-Oct-18
No, just the recipe I posted above.

28-Oct-18
But, I just checked and the McCormick seasoning has Worcestershire in it!

• Sitka Gear