JohnMC 28-Oct-18
WV Mountaineer 28-Oct-18
Big-Al 28-Oct-18
lewis 28-Oct-18
sitO 28-Oct-18
28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
I'll attempt to capture my the story of my first archery killed whitetail. I'm blessed to live within walking distance to my stand and I have a great neighbor that allows me to cross the river and hunt 10 acres below along the river by my house.

I've been chasing whitetail on my river bottom for a couple years now. Killed many mule deer and a few elk with my bow, and several whitetails with my rifle. This year I was committed to taking my first whitetail with my bow. With that being said, I created a small tree stand/platform about 12' up in an old, dying cottonwood tree. The diameter of this tree is 10' and it has most definitely seen its better days and many, many animals pass it by.

I've created several mock scrapes on the travel corridor I hunt. They have been hit fairly regularly this year. I also run several trail cams on the river bottom and have captured several massive deer that move in to breed our local doe herd. This year, I've only captured a few small bucks on cam, however, I found him the two nights ago. I know he was a younger deer but had a decent rack and a big body. I decided that if he gave me the chance, I would gladly take him...

28-Oct-18
I checked my new Drury Outdoors deercast app for today and it said "ok" for the morning hunt but I really didn't care too much. I knew there were several bucks in the area (I sat Friday night and the buck in the trail cam pic came through that night) and I knew they were cruising a bit and chasing a little. I set up in my tree at 6:45 this morning and wait for it to get light enough. As soon as it does, I see a few does 200 yards out in the neighbors field. I grunt and little rattle and a small 4 X 4 comes in from the opposite way and stops broadside at 50 yards...Not yet, I tell myself and keep on watching for something better. 10 minutes later, the nice broken 10 steps out and runs off the little buck and is chasing the older doe around. He proceeds to run the does out of my viewing area and I consider them gone for the day. I hit the black rack horns and little grunt and those two does come back from 200 yards and are milling around my stand sight now...

28-Oct-18
put phone down.. pick up bow

28-Oct-18
The buck that just ran off the little buck is now following the same trail from about 150 yards out and coming right to my stand. Meanwhile, the two does are right under my stand just milling around and eating. There are 3 mock scrapes within 60 yards of my stand and these does are checking them and the lick branches above. The buck is committed and working right toward me. At 40 yards he starts to veer to the left and I lose him in the brush...

28-Oct-18
Ha! Cord 62, I should have said I checked my deer app before hunting. Not on my phone, bro ;)

28-Oct-18
The buck pops out at 32 yards and is quartering away. Feels like i've used my range finder to spot every dang tumble weed and briar out to 60 yards so I feel pretty good choosing my 30 yard pin...

28-Oct-18
30 pin selected. Draw, pick a spot, breath, exhale, release, and follow through!...Slick Trick Viper Trick on the way. Buck jumps at the shot but the arrow has already done what it's designed to do--penetrate and slice with surgical precision.

28-Oct-18
Buck sprints away through heavy brush and comes out 3 seconds later into the clear...Stops....Looks back in my direction and crashes. 3-4 seconds and 30 yards later....

28-Oct-18
Good work

28-Oct-18
I give him 30 minutes, although I could have walked right to him. I give thanks to the Lord and text my wife and daughters (they both have rifle tags down here). I'm chilling and reliving the events and the shakes take hold of me....It's been years since I've felt that!!! Well, 2 years since I killed my 350" bull... I'm just chilling when I catch movement 150 yards out. A absolute giant and another really nice buck step out and are walking toward my stand...I'm done and so excited so I get down to look for my arrow, however, I'm excited for my daughters!!!

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
I find my arrow, the blood trail and a view back to my blind....

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
I found him 30 yards later following a blood trail that Ray Charles could have followed.

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
Entrance...Took the bottom of his heart out.

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
It was a beautiful, cool Colorado morning. I gave thanks and broke him down.

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
I decided that I only have had about 1/2 mile to pack him out, so I decided to put the entire buck in the Icon 7200...

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo
Why!?!!?! Ha, I'm not 23 anymore, but my 43 years old dumb ass doesn't know that at times! That being said, It was all good, but painful, until I was crossing the river and about dumped my ass stepping down into it, and then crawling up out of it! Selfie time...

28-Oct-18
Wanted to go semi-live hunt from CO, however, the CT guys had it covered. :)

28-Oct-18
Congratulations! Nice buck, Alex!

28-Oct-18
And this lil guy is what I'll try to get my daughters to shoot in the next couple weeks...

28-Oct-18
Congrats! Beauty of a deer.

28-Oct-18
Thanks, men. Rifle tag but I wanted to get er' done with my 2002 Mathews conquest!

28-Oct-18

Big-Al's embedded Photo
Big-Al's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18
Awesome first buck!

28-Oct-18
Very cool

28-Oct-18
Geeat job and a beautiful buck! Thanks for sharing the story. Now on to your wife and daughters' hunts. Update this thread with how theirs goes. I need to get my GF a doe next week so I can get on with my plains muley hunt!

28-Oct-18
Yes! Looking forward to your post on your hunt!

28-Oct-18
Well done! congratulations

28-Oct-18
Awesome whitetail! Way to go Big Al! What a great first with your bow! Congratulations!

28-Oct-18
Nice job

28-Oct-18
Congrats on a great buck!

28-Oct-18
You kill that today in eastern CO?

28-Oct-18
You did good man.

28-Oct-18
John, front range of CO PLO unit 20 tag. Rifle tag but I filled it with my bow.

28-Oct-18
Congrats you are screwed Lewis

28-Oct-18
Great buck and story, congrats!

• Sitka Gear