Genesis 31-Oct-18
Lark Bunting 31-Oct-18
HorbachJ 31-Oct-18
HorbachJ 31-Oct-18
Genesis 31-Oct-18
Genesis 31-Oct-18
29-Oct-18

HorbachJ's embedded Photo
My 10 yo niece at her first deer kill site.
HorbachJ's embedded Photo
My 10 yo niece at her first deer kill site.
Saturday evening I finally got to see the buck we’ve been getting on camera, he was a large n in charge 12 pt with a goofy kicker. Right at dark he was at 83 yds rubbing up everything he could touch and it was an Awsome show! I felt confident I would see him again on Sunday with the rain that came in shortly after so I stayed well so into dark and then slipped out.

So yesterday At 8am I heard a deer coming through the brush behind me and was full of anticipation. I turned slowly with phone camera recording video and was pleased to see a buck. He wasn’t the brits I’ve been seeing but he was close and he had no idea I was there. I got set up, ranged a small window in his path, hit him with a “Mehh” and just like that I arrowed my first deer with a bow. He was a healthy 2 yo 3 pt. This is not my first deer taken ever but just with a bow. I double lunged him at 20 yds from 20’ up. He ran 100’ into a meadow and stood there at 41 yds for a minute. He then laid down and I figured he would expire right there. Done deal..... 2 hours later he still was head up and ears moving but You could tell he was fading. Then He stood up and just stood there stoned. It got the best of me and I sent another arrow for a 41 yd shot which managed to land well maybe just a bit high but still did the job. He ran another 100 feet to the other end of the meadow and into the thick stiff where I lost sight. I waited 15 minutes for my hunting partner and his 10 yo daughter to come help and then got down and went to my first arrow. Lung blood on the arrow. No blood on the ground, in the grass or in the brush.... We then advanced to the next spot where he laid down for 2 hours. There was a small puddle of blood where he laid but nothing like you would expect.... I got a little nervous now but knew my first shot was golden. We spread out and advanced slowly towards where he went. Starting to think this was going to be a wounded deer tracking session I checked the footage (Reviewed the bow mounted GoPro video) we determined the general area he entered the thick stuff and worked to the edge. The grass was tall and the brush was thick, no blood trail to follow, very hard to see a bedded deer. My buddy posted up and said to hold because he saw him. Moments later we determined he was dead, right at the edge of the thick brush. I was relieved! We approached him and I was smiling ear to ear. So no we analyze what happened- both arrows full pass through. I was using the G5 Montec carbon steel broadheads. The exit holes were perfect slices like the three bladed projectiles. Our determination was that those holes “sealed up” and barely allowed that deer to bleed out. He was full of blood.

All in all he was a good deer and I couldn’t be happier to have my first bow killed deer in the books and venison in the freezer!

Who else uses the G5 Mantecs? Have you seen this before? I’m not impressed one bit and will likely be switching to something different for next season. My buddy uses the rage broadheads and says that those things leave piles of blood to trail, a lot more devastation.

29-Oct-18
Congrats on your first bowkill! That's one you will never forget!

To answer your question, I've been shooting Montec G5s for well over a decade....for whitetails, pronghorn, caribou, moose and elk. I don't think they are nearly as durable as some of the newer fixed blade heads (like VPA), but I've always been happy with their accuracy and performance.

If the deer was full of blood, it is more likely the first exit wound was high enough to allow blood to pool in the bottom of the chest cavity....rather than the hole getting "sealed up". FYI, lots of people use the term "double lung", but if you actually take out both lungs, the animal will be on the ground for good in seconds. Congrats again!

29-Oct-18
That is so cool! Congrats to her and you!

29-Oct-18
Congratulations nice recovery

29-Oct-18
Congrats buddy! Nothing like your first bowkill.

Obviously I wasn't there but with the deer still alive 2 hours later it sounds more like a liver hit. Regardless....you got it done and sometimes they don't die exactly like they are supposed to.

30-Oct-18
Thanks guys. It’s amazing how everything happened so fast. All the training you do in the off-season builds up to that one moment when a decision is made and then the 50 things you need to do when making that shot just happen and in hindsight you don’t even remember. Range, draw, finger in back of release. Anchor, anchor, anchor, steady, breathe, “mehhh” release, follow through, all that happened, I just don’t remember it. I remember seeing my lumi nock flying and the “thwack”. Then the silence except for The Sandhill cranes coming into the neighbors field. When I sent the second arrow later at 40 yds it felt like it flew for ever. Unforgettable. Can’t wait to do it again.

30-Oct-18
Congrats! No better feeling!

30-Oct-18
That’s awesome congrats!

30-Oct-18
Congrats!

30-Oct-18
Congratulations, John! Feels good, huh?

30-Oct-18
Congrats! It never gets old!

30-Oct-18
Congrats

30-Oct-18
Congrats good job!

30-Oct-18
Nice job?

30-Oct-18
Nice job and a tender and tasty deer to boot.

I would say on the exit wound sealed up that either you nicked the liver or gut and that blood clots from the liver or the contents of the gut plugged the exit wound. And I would also say, by the reaction of the deer, it was as stated above a one lung hit.

31-Oct-18
Great Picture :)

31-Oct-18
More times than not your first few deer with a bow (especially close shots) are high and their is a good chance you hit high in relation to the lungs possibly missing or nicking one.

Curious if the buck was facing to your left when you shot the first time.?

31-Oct-18
"he was a large n in charge"

What?

31-Oct-18
Genesis- he was facing left as I was looking at him. Quartering away

31-Oct-18
Lark- the buck I was looking at Saturday at dark was tearing up the rub area, thrashing everything. All 12 points tearing bark and breaking branches. At 83 yds. For about 10-15 minutes before it was dark.

31-Oct-18
Left lung is smaller so from elevation the onside lung damage just may not have been as extensive

31-Oct-18
Left lung is smaller so from elevation the onside lung damage just may not have been as extensive

• Sitka Gear