Trial153 29-Oct-18
JohnMC 29-Oct-18
Trial153 29-Oct-18
Trial153 29-Oct-18
JohnMC 29-Oct-18
Don K 29-Oct-18
Brotsky 30-Oct-18
29-Oct-18
When I am out and about I am amazed that I get phone and internet in 90 percent of the places in Colorado... I am pretty cr***y at tech stuff.... I would love to be able to use my Ipad while in the hunting for ON X's and Google Earth as the bigger screen just lots easier to see and maneuver. My IPAD goes "offline" when I am not at my house can I make it hot in the field where my phone works????

29-Oct-18
You would have to have one of the cellular capable iPads as well as a data plan through Verizon or someone. Your iPad is likely WiFi only

29-Oct-18
Can you use your phone as a wifi hot spot? Then run your ipad off your phone? This is what I do when we're camping.

29-Oct-18
What he said^^^^^^^^. Mine is cellular capable because I bought it for work. It made field work much easier and would do the same for your purpose.

29-Oct-18
Brotsky not sure if it is or not how can I tell??? If it is how do you get it hot??? thanks...

29-Oct-18
Do you have an IPhone? If so just go to settings and enable the personal hotspot. Then you can access through the ipad just like any wireless network.

29-Oct-18
I pre warned you not good at this stuff ;) I have a Samsung Ipad? tablet??? and my phone os a verizon android Moto pretty new

29-Oct-18
I'm not good with Android but I assume you could do the same thing. Someone will probably be along shortly to give you a heads up on hos to do it.

29-Oct-18
Wow, I did not know about the hotspot option. Does it hurt anything if I leave the hot spot turned on?

29-Oct-18
Find a teenager to help you!

29-Oct-18
First, a little education so that others can understand your requests better in the future and help you more quickly. iPad is not a generic term. It means it is a product made by Apple, just like an iPhone is made by Apple. They are COMPLETELY different than every other brand of products on the market, with very different operating systems. Your Samsung (and every other brand that isn't an Apple) is a "tablet", just so you can avoid confusing people in the future if you ask for help. I'm not at all trying to be offensive, just letting you know since you said you didn't know much about tech. It's important, because like I said, Apple products work completely different than all other brands. I would say that all iPads are tablets, but all tablets are not iPads.

For your Moto phone, the phone needs to have the capability of acting as a Wi-Fi hotspot and your data plan has to allow you to do so. My previous, expensive, unlimited data plan with Verizon would not allow me to use my Samsung phone as a hotspot, but my far less expensive limited plan will allow me to do so. You can always call your cell phone service provider and ask them.

To activate it, go to the settings on your phone. I'm not familiar with the Moto phones, but on my Galaxy you press the button marked "Apps" and look for a button that looks like a gear marked "Settings". It will probably be a white gear on a blue background, but yours may be different. If you look down the menu, one of the choices should say "Mobile Hotspot". Switch it to the on position. If it allows you to do so, that should mean that your provider allows it on your plan I would think? Then, turn on your tablet and look for the wireless network now created by your tablet. It may sound a little complex, but it really isn't that bad.

29-Oct-18
Dale,

Just like your phone doesn't use data unless it is searching a website or downloading email, even though it is always connected to a cell tower when within range, your tablet is not using your phone's data plan unless you are doing an activity that uses data (one that would also use the same amount of data if you were doing that task on your phone). The tablet is basically acting as a second "handset". If it would charge your data if you do it on your phone, it will charge your data if you do it on your tablet using your phone as a hotspot.

Consider your home phone. It doesn't matter which handset you use to make a long distance call (assuming you have several around the house). The phone service will still charge your main line for the use. I would not think it should matter if you left it turned-on, but you can always call your cell phone provider to verify that.

29-Oct-18
I checked my phone and it does allow for me create a hot spot... I am gonna stop by the Version place tomorrow with both devices in hand

Appreciate all the thoughts...

29-Oct-18
Agree, if you have a Verizon store handy that would be by far the easiest way to have them show you and answer your questions. We should have suggested that first! Ha

29-Oct-18
For onx, download the area maps and layers for the places your hunting. You then will not need to be online at all. You can run the ipad or phone in airplane mode. If you tieing your iPad to you phone your still better off running the preloaded maps in air plane mode onx gums up with spotty service

29-Oct-18
Trial I could be wrong but the problem with that and maybe with using a hotspot is. That the tablet won’t have gps to show where you are at. If that is not needed downloading maps would work perfectly.

29-Oct-18
Nope, works fine In airplane mode. No problem at all.

29-Oct-18
I have used my phone as my GPS from just below the artic circle to Mexico with out any issue.

Not only have I used onx, I have used earthmate and gaia as well.

29-Oct-18
I am referring too using a tablet as a GPS. As in only downloading maps to tablet. Then taking it to use OnX or other map on. For example I just looked at where my IPad thinks I am. It has my location in a big blue circle but is off from my exact location by about a 1/2 block. I think that is off of internet carrier???

29-Oct-18
I bought a Lenovo tablet this year and used OnXmaps on it and it works great. You download the maps for offline use for the area your going into. Spent a month in the mountains this year with and it was great.

30-Oct-18
John, depending on the tablet, it should have GPS capability just like your phone.

• Sitka Gear