Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
sitO 01-Nov-18
Paul@thefort 01-Nov-18
TREESTANDWOLF 02-Nov-18
LBshooter 03-Nov-18
M.Pauls 04-Nov-18
01-Nov-18
If he turns away from your decoy, I would rattle, and have figuring what is there to lose. GL.

01-Nov-18
Don't think that's gonna work personally...if they see a decoy, and are interested in a decoy, they will come. Like Frank said, however, if he starts away or goes out of sight, it's worth a try.

01-Nov-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
buck comes out in the far grass. I get his attention with a few buck grunts.
buck comes out in the far grass. I get his attention with a few buck grunts.
a couple of snort wheeze sounds (by mouth) gets him running to within 12 yards.
a couple of snort wheeze sounds (by mouth) gets him running to within 12 yards.
buck grunt got his attention and the snort wheeze brought him running. I did that with this buck and he came from 150 yards away, in last Oct.

02-Nov-18

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
More often than not, rattling when they see the decoy and just leaving after, when you rattle, they will bolt.

When they turn away,, a grunt or two very soft sometimes works, but usually IMO, the gig is over at that point.

When a buck is focused on kicking your decoys butt, it’s game on.

03-Nov-18
I wouldn't rattle I'd call , grunt or blest depending on what decoy your using. If it's a buck decoy then throw some low grunts, if he continues to leave them I'd give it everything you got. Grunt like its a kazoo, long and loud , I have had bricks come in for the challenge. Get some movement with your decoy, tail or toilet paper, movement is key.

04-Nov-18
I’ve played with a buck decoy quite a bit. Blind rattled many times for them to come check it out. Have had that work. Not sure why it wouldn’t. Also I’ve rattled to bucks 300+ yards away that aren’t looking my way. I stop once they do because they’ll be expecting a lot of movement. Long and short of it, script a likely story in your mind of what’s going on. If the story you’re telling is believable, and what a buck sees when he comes in matches the script, go for it.

04-Nov-18

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Here is my favorite from a ground blind. (Raining today)

04-Nov-18

This is a long 5 acre plot so me decoys are on high ground. It pulled a small buck and two does in yesterday afternoon. I switched out the buck decoy for a bigger one today, yesterday I used scar face.

• Sitka Gear