Paul@thefort 05-Nov-18
Carcajou 05-Nov-18
Paul@thefort 06-Nov-18
01-Nov-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
something got spilled
something got spilled
We have all heard the saying "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". Well that sure was the case on my second and return trip to hunt buck WTs in Nebraska. I just got home after a 5 hour drive, now 10 pm, so this story will have to wait until tomorrow some time.

PS, insert teaser picture

01-Nov-18
Booooooo

02-Nov-18
You’re killing us, Pauls! Looking forward to this read while I’m perched in the stand this weekend.

02-Nov-18
If you have every deer hunted on a large SWA property where they might rotate the planted crops, you notice that one year it may be all in corn, the next year beans and the following year or two, Milo and winter wheat. Last year the major crop was beans but this year when I arrived, it was millet and winter wheat. The millet had been harvested leaving row upon row of knee high stalks and very noisy leaves. The farmer by contract needed to leave 10% of the crop in the field for wildlife. The particular 100 acre field (one of three or four areas) I had targeted to hunt around had been winter wheat last year but was in harvested millet this year. The field did supply the deer with some food and cover but it looked very dry and was noisy to walk through to get across. Also last year, the field have been in wheat leaving some good green deer feed after the harvest.

Making matters worse, the adjacent private property was in clover, a deer magnet , and yes, the "grass was green on the other side of the fence", and evidence showed that very few of the deer were crossing the fence where I could hunt them. And across the creek on private to the east, was a corn and bean field yet to be harvested so the deer over there had all they needed to be "happy" and did not need to come my way. And even last year, my trail camera showed that all of the bucks traveling by, on my side of the fence came by in the dark.

The big question was, how to get them to come over during hunting hours?

02-Nov-18
Bring it, Paul!

02-Nov-18
Very interesting observations Paul, i cant wait to hear how you over came them.

02-Nov-18

their side of the fence, ie, green
their side of the fence, ie, green
my side
my side

02-Nov-18
That looks familiar Paul....! Wish you would have messaged me that you were out this way. I’d have came up for a visit. If my guessing is correct, my buddy is hunting just east of you. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

02-Nov-18

transition from green to dry. Through the stick cane and over the fence.
transition from green to dry. Through the stick cane and over the fence.
The majority of the time I hunt on the ground as it is hard to find the right tree in the right place, at the right time. And if you live in Cottonwood tree county you know what I mean as most of the trees are wind bent over the years and only a ladder stand may work. And with the ever changing winds of the far mid west, hunting off the ground in a natural hide, allows me a lot of flexibility to move when needed. So this is how I had hunted around this field for the past few years and the first two days found me in the same situation, on the ground. The deer came out early, sun still up with just half the field in shade. Mostly does and a few young buck, 2-3 pointers but the young bucks were feeling spunky and running around after a few of the does.

Nearing last light, I tried a few buck grunts and got the attention of one of the 4 pointers who was 150 yards away on the green. Well, he was curious and came to the fence, jumped over, came through the thick tall grass and was standing within 30 yards of my ground hide , that is, until he smelled me and was gone back over the fence.

I had brought two tree stands and a climbing stick and a 15' extension ladder just in case but I needed to find a good tree and as of date was unable to do so, at this fence crossing.

02-Nov-18
I gave up on this area and hunted other parts of the SWA that I was very familiar with but with a very full moon and dry, hot conditions, the very pre rut, the deer were not moving during hunting hours. Last year, it seems that every where I went I got into deer and had a few close encounters at this same time of year. This year just seemed different and I was running into many more bow hunters from various parts of the country and it seemed that most were putting up at least two tree stands here and there. Ok, 6 days into the hunt and I had had no close encounters and a few times, in the mornings did not see a single deer.

02-Nov-18

Time to rethink. Find a concentration of doe deer. My thoughts drifted back to the green field.

02-Nov-18

easy climb up
easy climb up
and 20 yards from the field edge. Maybe this might work. All I needed was the right wind, from the North or NW.
and 20 yards from the field edge. Maybe this might work. All I needed was the right wind, from the North or NW.
I returned one afternoon and started to examined the few trees in the area of the fence but there was no perfect ones in the right place but wait, how about this one. A little trimming here and there and I could use the extension ladder and while I would only be 8 feet off the ground, I would be well concealed and higher than the field below. Twenty yards to the field edge. NOW how to get them to come over to my side. One can not use deer bait in Nebraska so that was out so instead of attracting them with food, how about SEX or something like that!

02-Nov-18

the challenge was on
the challenge was on
some pushing and shoving
some pushing and shoving
and then both leave the field. I buck grunted and horn rattled to there was no interest, UNTIL.........
and then both leave the field. I buck grunted and horn rattled to there was no interest, UNTIL.........
My weather radio stated, NW winds tomorrow evening. Time to give this a try!

The next evening finds me in the tree stand at 5 pm but it was not until the whole field was in shadows did the first deer appear. During the last few days the corn and the beans across the creek, had been harvested so this might have changed the deer's patterns to come out later that before. First a few does and then these two bucks of which I had not seen before.

02-Nov-18

UNTIL, the 4x4 came back to the field to check on a few of the does which were only 100 yards away from me but on the green. Time for some SEX. Well, at least some sexy deer calling. I did some light rattling, buck grunting, and tossed in a few doe bleats. Fifteen more minutes of shooting light. I was running out of time. THe buck joined the does and sniffed around. I was giving up hope until I looked through the tree limbs with my binoculars and saw him heading in my direction. Will he get here in time? Will he cross the fence? Will he leave the green? Food or sex, food or sex, which will it be in the deer's mind and desires. As the saying goes, " is the grass greener on the other side of the fence?" The buck had two does near by on his side of the fence, but his curiosity had been stimulated and would his curiosity get the best of him. Lets wait and see. Ten minutes to go.

02-Nov-18
Curiosity killed the....

02-Nov-18
He was coming and disappeared behind the trees and thick cane grass along the fence line. I turned up my hearing to a 10 x. A jump and landing sound and a twang of the fence wire! A very slight breaking of brush! Here he comes. He stops, no shot, I wait. Five minutes to go. His tail wags and he moves forward into the shoot lane 21 yards down slope. I am at full draw and softly doe bleated, he stops, looks up, and slightly quarters towards me. I pick a spot in the diminishing light and put some pressure on the string release. the VAP tipped arrow on it's way; the green tracer lighted nock showing the way. WACK! The buck reverses his direction, crashes through the cane, jumps the fence and heads out into the green. I pick him up in the binoculars and trace his path away. He is slow and limping but then disappears behind the tree limbs heading away and across the green field and back onto private property. Will he make it to the tangle near the creek? Darkness surrounds us all. Now what?

02-Nov-18

not too young, not to old, but a good eating buck for sure.
not too young, not to old, but a good eating buck for sure.
After waiting 30 minutes and in the dark, I advanced to the shot area and follow some light blood to the fence but I do not dare to cross. I had the property owners phone number and hiked back to the truck and gave her call and after explaining the situation, she came me permission to advance and look for the deer. I ask her if I found the buck could I drive into the green field to retrieve it. She stated, with a big smile and and warm, SURE! keep me advised. Thank GOD for nice people. I later crossed the fence and looked for the blood trail but found none. WHAT? I am sure he headed straight away so I grid searched that way scanning back and forth with my light. Where is the blood? Did I make a killing shot? Here is he? Did he make it to the creek?

Wait, that is that. There he is, dead 60 yards from the field edge.

02-Nov-18
Paul, you are my favorite story teller on Bowsite!

02-Nov-18

on the tail gate at last. I process the deer the next morning and head back to Colorado, a happy hunter.
on the tail gate at last. I process the deer the next morning and head back to Colorado, a happy hunter.
I marked the deer with the still lighted nock and returned to the truck, met with the land owner and she game me directions to the green field to recover the buck and take a hero picture.

After gutting the deer off the field edge, I had to figure how to get the heavy buck onto the tail gate. If they could build pyramids back in the day, I guess I could figure how to get his buck up on the tail gate with out breaking my back. I tied the head and antlers to the side of the truck bed- hook and then lifted and heaved the rear of the deer up and on the tail gate. I took me a few tries to do it. I thought I had attached it properly but driving out of the field and up a slight hill, the buck fell off and I had to do it all over again. Well, practice make perfect.

02-Nov-18
Nice!!! Congratulations on a hard earned buck. Thanks for taking us along on the ride.

02-Nov-18
Great story Paul!! Congrats on a great deer!!

02-Nov-18
Congrats Paul on a nice buck. Great story!

02-Nov-18
So " is the grass greener on the other side". Well not only did the green field provide a good source of food for the deer but it also created a concentration on deer to observe.

Also, through the buck's mine, even though he had every thing he needed in the green field, ie, food and girls, he just had to cross over the fence to see if the grass was actually greener on the other side. I guess he found out much to his demise that it was not.

02-Nov-18
Thanks for taking us along, Paul. Another great hunt and better story!

02-Nov-18

actually spot where buck was hit. lots of blood on leaves and blood heading for fence. I had not seen this as much in the dark.
actually spot where buck was hit. lots of blood on leaves and blood heading for fence. I had not seen this as much in the dark.
at the fence, I found some slight blood, but the buck took a different direction than I though, and I found this in the day light 30 yards from the fence.
at the fence, I found some slight blood, but the buck took a different direction than I though, and I found this in the day light 30 yards from the fence.
the arrow hit the right side of the chest and came out the opposite, behind the front shoulder. Some lung damage.
the arrow hit the right side of the chest and came out the opposite, behind the front shoulder. Some lung damage.
So one last comment. I returned to the kill sight the next morning as I wanted to see the hit spot, and blood trail and what direction the buck actually took after the hit. I learned this, one can miss so much evidence of blood and travel in the dark of night with a head lamp. A few pictures as evidence.

02-Nov-18
Atta boy, Paul! Congrats and thanks for the story!

02-Nov-18
Thanks for following along, now I have to finish process the deer meat for the freezer. No more deer hunts until next January when I head back to AZ to hunt Coues deer buck.

Maybe, maybe there might be another story to share. My best, Paul

02-Nov-18
Nice buck and story, congrats.

02-Nov-18
Congrats Paul, way to get 'er done!

02-Nov-18
Nice deer and an even better story. Glad to see that you went back to check the blood trail in the daylight, it never hurts to learn more. As I have gotten older when I have to track a deer in the dark I now take 2 very bright flashlights with both on for tracking and carry at least one spare.

02-Nov-18
Congrats, Paul. Great deer and a great story as well!!

02-Nov-18
Congrats Paul !

02-Nov-18
Well done, Paul! No decoying for you this year, huh? Looks like you didn't need it! Excellent job, my friend.

02-Nov-18
Congrats!! Always enjoy reading your stories.

02-Nov-18
Congrats Paul and as always, thanks for sharing your story

02-Nov-18
Congrats Paul. I don’t use one, as I’m still young enough to have a strong back and weak mind, but a receiver hitch rack might have been handy in your retrieval. Sounds like your not equipped for killing bucks on private land. ;)

02-Nov-18
Well done, Paul!

02-Nov-18
Always enjoy your adventures. Congrats and thanks for sharing

02-Nov-18
That was a great Story Paul. Congrats on a really nice buck too. love how you tell your stories. I look forward to them every year. come on January!

02-Nov-18
Cool. Congrats!

02-Nov-18
You are the MAN Paul! Great work as usual! Too efficient of a hunter!

02-Nov-18
I'm already looking forward to an awesome Coues hunt story from you! Are we going to see some goose hunts between now and then? Congrats and best of luck in Arizona.

02-Nov-18
Good stuff Paul! Congrats! Driving up to the deer makes me jealous...

02-Nov-18
Good job Paul!

Time for some sky carp soon!

02-Nov-18

Nebraska sun rise over the hunting fields
Nebraska sun rise over the hunting fields
Sand Hill Cranes
Sand Hill Cranes
jumping WT
jumping WT
the reason to carry the camera and have it ready
the reason to carry the camera and have it ready
Tricia just asked me would I try to fill my other Nebraska doe tag before year's end? I answered was -- "maybe". Chase the wonder dog is also wondering when am I going to take him duck hunting this month.

Brad, Sky Carp? I will have to fit that in prior to Christmas as I will leave for AZ on Dec 26th.

So much to do and so little time. I bow hunt something for 9 month as it is. Just trying to figure how to bow hunt the other 3 months :). Maybe I will win the Magi Lottery. Thanks guys for the comments. my best, Paul

02-Nov-18
Congrats Paul. I always enjoy your hunt recaps.

you, BB, Bigdan and a few others keep me on BS. Keep at it!

02-Nov-18
Awesome as usual Paul congrats!

02-Nov-18
Great job as always Paul ! Congrats!

02-Nov-18
Way to go buddy.

02-Nov-18
Great story and a nice chunky midwest buck ! Still my hero........

02-Nov-18
Very nicely done Paul!

02-Nov-18
nice buck Paul

02-Nov-18
Thank you for a great story, and congrats on a great buck! Good luck in AZ! Jeff

03-Nov-18
Great story Paul. Congrats on the buck!

03-Nov-18
Jeff, this will be my 9 th trip to hunt Coues in AZ and most likely my last but looking forward to the trip again. What a great time to hunt deer in the January, the bow hunting only deer season when the temperatures up north are in the freezing range.

This will also be my 8 season hunting local geese with the bow but the house/property might be up for sale and that might end that goose hunt.

Time change, people change, available properties change, we get older and we change. Life is sweet but as we mature, life get shorter.

I surely enjoy sharing my hunts with my Bowsite friends and hope that I have inspired a few to keep at it. Having fun as usual. my best, Paul

03-Nov-18
Paul, you always tell a good story, about your hunts, sure enjoy them, take care for sure.

03-Nov-18
Great storytelling and pictures, as usual, congrats!

04-Nov-18
X2 Rickm. Great story Paul. Always look forward to your posts!!!

05-Nov-18

Speaking of Coues Deer Bucks. Here is a gathering of buck pictures I took a few years ago. January can not get here soon enough. Again, thanks all for your support.

05-Nov-18
Paul, as always, you are true inspiration. Love your story telling, too, as they typically exhibit success! Thanks again!

06-Nov-18
Thanks, my pleasure. Paul

• Sitka Gear