Deerplotter 05-Nov-18
sdbowhunter 06-Nov-18
DAVE EWERT 06-Nov-18
Timo 06-Nov-18
fastflight 06-Nov-18
ACB 06-Nov-18
Cocoon Man 06-Nov-18
02-Nov-18
Simple question, do you guys push the base of the ladder stand into the ground or do you put a board under the base of the stand to keep it from settling into the dirt?

02-Nov-18
I have feet for mine, got them from Sportsman's Guide. They're also great for leveling the ladder.

02-Nov-18
I have rubber caps on the bottom of mine however I lost one a number of years ago. I found a 2" tapered cork at ace hardware and modified it to work. Tapped it in with a hammer.

02-Nov-18
Done it both ways.

02-Nov-18
Board. I had one bowel stimulating experience in the dark one time when I was half way up and the "ladder slip" occurred. It wasn't much of a slip, but it definitely put the "thrill" in that hunt before it even started!

02-Nov-18
I always stand on the bottom step and kinda jump to get the legs to go into the ground. Then climb up and strap it on. Gives more support to keep it from moving when I am strapping it on amd it never slips.

Good Luck!

03-Nov-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
What Rick3 says.. Son & I have a few & all this way.. Firms it up.

03-Nov-18
I am a board guy myself. generally 1-3/4" oak planks if available, but will use ash in a pinch.

also have been known to use concrete patio blocks but not slate.

03-Nov-18
They work too. I do brick paving and there's always a few extra ones in the back of my truck.

03-Nov-18
I’m a stomp it down into the ground guy. Extra ratchet straps too....

03-Nov-18
As a follow up, I prefer to push the legs into the ground as it solidifies the base. I hunt with some that like the board on the bottom but I just feel like the legs can slide off too easy. Most of our stands are in areas that are pastured and cows tend to push them off. Guess I was hoping to hear everybody pushed them in but sounds like its 50/50.

03-Nov-18
I don't set the legs on the board, I set the bottom rung on the board and then push it all the way down.

03-Nov-18
Into the ground for me

03-Nov-18
into the ground for me, too

03-Nov-18
Into the ground for sure. Feels way more solid.

05-Nov-18
Into the ground.

05-Nov-18
Into the ground for me, then set it in a board after the season. I also loosen the straps and remove my safety lines.

05-Nov-18
Into the ground no doubt. Ratchet strap 1/4 way up securing it firming before going up and wrapping ratchet on stand top.

06-Nov-18

sdbowhunter's embedded Photo
sdbowhunter's embedded Photo

06-Nov-18
Into the ground to the bottom step.

06-Nov-18
I don't understand the board thing. Why wouldn't you want the base of the ladder secure into the ground? Jump on the bottom rung and that ladder won't move a millimeter. What am I missing here?

06-Nov-18
Timo, the guys I hunt with dont want to lose the six inches to a foot of height which happens by pushing it into the ground.

06-Nov-18
Into the ground

06-Nov-18
Board with cleats to keep it from sliding off. leave mine up all year shoving it in the ground accelerates rust. I drill a hole through the cross member at the V and put a structural screw into the tree.

• Sitka Gear