MichaelArnette 05-Nov-18
GF 05-Nov-18
stealthycat 05-Nov-18
WV Mountaineer 06-Nov-18
scentman 06-Nov-18
GF 06-Nov-18
GF 06-Nov-18
03-Nov-18
Last night my crossbow broke a limb while I was de-cocking it. Since it will probably take several weeks for it to get warrantied, it would seem that I am without a bow for the next week that I took off of work. Since buying a new bow is out of the question (wife's words not mine) my only real option is to use my daughter's bow. I took it out this morning and ran it over the chronograph as well as weighted each arrow. Anyway, based on the speed and weight of each arrow would this be enough to kill a deer or am I SOL? 411gr arrow at 153ft/sec at 5 yds OR 336gr arrow at 203ft/sec at 5 yds

I would be using NAP hellrazor broadheads.

03-Nov-18
Yes. Either one

03-Nov-18
If all you had was a X-gun before you were already with out a bow. Just saying

03-Nov-18
If your arrow weights are correct, you better send your chronograph off to get fixed too.....

03-Nov-18
Yes!! Go have fun and keep shots close. Greg

03-Nov-18
If all you had was a X-gun before you were already with out a bow. Just saying

Not if he's in Ontario crossbows have been considered archery equipment for many years here :p

03-Nov-18
just saying lol

03-Nov-18
Your shooting roughly the speed of a recurve bow so yup.

03-Nov-18
Timbr some people consider Bruce Jenner a woman...

03-Nov-18
If you had to be hunting with a crossbow to begin with I’d say your odds of getting a deer within 5 yards are slim to none

03-Nov-18
I saw a post not that long ago on one of my professional social Media accounts. It said:

I don’t care how much money you make, what your title is, or how good you are. What matters is how you treat people.

Get off your high horses folks. It’s not very becoming of bow hunters. You’re a black eye to the sport.

03-Nov-18
Go with the heavier arrow, get out there, and have fun. Life is short:)

03-Nov-18
I'd use the heavier arrow.

03-Nov-18
DConcrete you are right on the money. You holier than thou hypocrites are a blight on true outdoorsmen. This site is here for many reasons and one of them is for people to seek out help when they have a need. Shame on some of you folks for putting down someone bold enough to post a question. If you don’t have anything nice to say then your best bet is to keep your mouth shut.

03-Nov-18
Thank you for typing what I was thinking Dconcrete. ~Cheryl

03-Nov-18
Apparently people aren't entitled to their opinions. But that's the world we live in , no one can be told no or be disappointed anymore. Sad but true. Hunt with what you want if it is legal and you think it is ethical.

03-Nov-18
The bottom line is he wants to be able to get out and enjoy hunting and that’s all that matters. Some you guys on here are a bunch of douche bags.

03-Nov-18
A while back I posted to this site about having to switch to a crossbow for medical reasons after bow hunting for 40 years. It was a tough switch after that many years. When I put the post out I received nothing but positive comments and encouragement from the site. Mostly to the effect to just get back out there and enjoy the woods during your favorite time of the year. So what’s with the negative and demeaning comments? What about united we stand as hunters and sportsman. There are a lot of people that love hearing us bash each other.

03-Nov-18
LOL. Im thinking you need a new pair of pants and tell the wife you are buying a new bow..... What you have to use is plenty. good luck.

03-Nov-18
If the bow meets the 30lb draw weight you are good to go, they set the minimum for a reason. No need to question beyond that. Ignore the negative comments, some people have nothing better to do then judge others. Enjoy and goodluck

03-Nov-18
If you are physical unable to hunt with a real bow I am total fine with said person using a crossbow. But if not x-guns have no business in archery season. I am in CO it is hard enough to draw tags and find uncrowded places to hunt with out a bunch of rifle hunters picking up a x-gun and deteriorating archery seasons more. Call it a negative comment if you want. But x-bows that can claim rifle like accuracy at 100 yards is not bow hunting.

03-Nov-18

JohnMC's Link

03-Nov-18
I am not a cross bow fan in any way shape or form. And I am all for the airing of thoughts and ideas arguments on the issue. However doing it in this context, where a gentleman just asked a question.....is an asshole move.

03-Nov-18
JohnMC, I’ll just point out a couple of things. 1. A compound bow is also just as capable of shooting 100 yards. 2. Seeems like your real problem with crossbows is that they might possibly make it harder for YOU to draw a tag.

03-Nov-18
He didn’t mention Colorado. He didn’t ask for your opinion on the ethics of his crossbow. You jumped in just to get your dig in on a crossbow. Plain and simple.

03-Nov-18
I'm with Trail. The man is trying to BOW HUNT. He is asking if his bow is enough.

03-Nov-18
I paper tuned the bow tonight and checked the poundage just to be safe- 30lb .5oz skirting the line on a legal bow. If the deer cooperate and follow the runway connecting their bed site and the river, I should have a nice 12-15yd broadside shot at a deer.

03-Nov-18
I paper tuned the bow tonight and checked the poundage just to be safe- 30lb .5oz skirting the line on a legal bow. If the deer cooperate and follow the runway connecting their bed site and the river, I should have a nice 12-15yd broadside shot at a deer.

04-Nov-18
Right on Adam, you’re off to the races! Don’t forget to update us and let us know how it goes!!

04-Nov-18
You shoot an x-bow? Was it difficult to break it to your dad that you are gay?

04-Nov-18
Old goat - You think it's any more difficult than staying in the closet, like you are?

04-Nov-18
Another idiot from Colorado making a comment. Did you guys get your pink vests yet for gun season?

04-Nov-18

Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
I hunted for a number of years with a compound but some of my friends used crossbows. I never thought much of it and even decided to get one to try myself. Being from Ontario where they have been used in Archery season for as long as I have hunted I never thought much of it until I got on the Bowsite. It was then that I found out not only was I gay but I was the spawn of satan etc etc etc

04-Nov-18
Oh by the way good luck in your hunt hope you stick a couple .

04-Nov-18
I’ve tipped bucks over with rifles, compounds, and crossbows. I applaud anyone who hunts, especially when you have to overcome a setback to do so. Ignore the haters, the fact that they go to an online forum to profess their idiocy and ignorance in a insulting manner revels how poor their character is. I too think your daughter’s bow should suffice. Good luck and please let us know how your hunt goes!

04-Nov-18
Quote thecanadian: "....broke a limb while I was de-cocking..."

So much can be done with this. C'mon guys, show some imagination!!

04-Nov-18
Wow! You keyboard warriors are some really tough guys. Oldgoat, ever been called a bully? Something tells me you are really that stupid in real life too.

05-Nov-18

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
Shot this buck and 6 other deer last year with a 450 Gr arrow flying about 155fps not a single issue with penetration using a cut on contact two blade head...I’d use any cut on contact head and you should be just fine!

05-Nov-18
Cracks me up to see guys who shoot compounds giving a guy hell for a crossbow.

There are other COCs that penetrate more easily than the HellRazor, but I’d expect your daughter’s bow will be as deadly as your shooting.

05-Nov-18
what does speed matter except to bolster KE formula ?

"Cracks me up to see guys who shoot compounds giving a guy hell for a crossbow. "

they want their easier, they don't want anyone else to have easier

06-Nov-18
BINGO!

06-Nov-18
This thread be like a Diana Ross song... Upside down, and round and round we go again... lets sing it together now... Upside down an...

06-Nov-18
“what does speed matter except to bolster KE formula ?”

Matters to me! The better I learned to shoot the line, the more I think I need a faster bow! LOL

06-Nov-18

GF's embedded Photo
Low-light walk-up from about 60... First shot was the best with the red fletch
GF's embedded Photo
Low-light walk-up from about 60... First shot was the best with the red fletch

• Sitka Gear