oldgoat 04-Nov-18
Franklin 04-Nov-18
oldgoat 05-Nov-18
SBH 05-Nov-18
sdkhunter 06-Nov-18
Franklin 07-Nov-18
eddie c 07-Nov-18
04-Nov-18
A friend of mine was telling me that if you have Location set to on on your phone and Send someone a pic that if the person receiving it knows how he can get the cordinates for the pic and will know right where you took the pic .... like your secret honey hole.... he showed me his phone and the Location was off . He kept telling me about a friend of his who took a guy to his favorite spot and a couple weeks later the guy he took and another guy posted a pic of a big bull and the first friend ask where he killed it, he told him about 10 miles from where you took me a couple of weeks ago. Said the guy got the long and lat of the pic and it was killed at his honey hole he had shown the guy..... not friends anymore . I had never heard of being able to get the location from a pic with location on in your settings . Is this legit ?

04-Nov-18
Yes

04-Nov-18
Yep! My buddy had his on and I noticed when he sent me a pic. I freaked out.

04-Nov-18
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/14633033/tracking-via-your-cell-phone-pictures/

04-Nov-18
If you don't want image locations logged, you can permanently turn off Location Services for your phone's camera.

For an iPhone: Settings / Privacy / Location Services / Camera / Never

04-Nov-18
I would recommend a phone app Also. named "GPS Privacy" that automatically deletes the GPS location tags if the photo is taken in a privacy area – like around your home, school, work, etc. This way you don't have to remember whether you have the GPS tags on or off. Simply define your privacy areas, and your pictures won't have GPS coordinates when made in these zones.

04-Nov-18
Forums like this one generally strip the gps data. You get into trouble when you text a pic. I don't get too worked up about someone finding my location, it takes a novice about 8 seconds to get someones address.

04-Nov-18
Yes I'd heard this before so just went & checked my Iphone, it was on Never, cool!

Thanks for bringing it up!

ElkNut/Paul

04-Nov-18
Actually it works well for scouting. You can imbed the photo into google earth at the proper location, helping to make sense out of everything a month later.

04-Nov-18
Paul hopefully you haven’t texted anybody a grip and grin picture. They’ll be able to pin point the location to about 30 feet.

04-Nov-18
Also be a good boy. Because the”Man” has busted a lot of bad guys that are uninformed. The founder of McAfee internet security got busted and located from photos sent from a phone.

04-Nov-18
Gianni, even if my Iphone is on 'Never'? I haven't that I know of other than family.

ElkNut/Paul

04-Nov-18
Be careful when loading new apps. Many turn it back on.

04-Nov-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I was watching an elk hunting video the other day and at one point I was looking at the background.

Jumped on GE and found it.

04-Nov-18
Usually takes 2 settings. First is location services on the phone. Without that things like maps won't work.

You then have to give your phone access to location services. The phone then records the location of each photo

04-Nov-18
Location ....Off... when camera is on from now on !! I’ll turn it back on whenever I might need it. Finding big bulls is a big deal around here. Guys find them and txt pics but are sworn to secrecy as to where they found them lol . I helped pack out a big bull this season and was about to take a pic and the guy I was with threw a fit ... said people will know where we’re hunting by seeing that background in the pic. Background hell, they’ll have our coordinates .

04-Nov-18
Easy way to figure out if it’s on if you have an iPhone. Go to your photos then albums. Then if you have an album labeled “places” open it. It’ll show a map with pictures. Continue to zoom in until you’re about 100 feet above the spot the photo was taken. Then try to remember how many people you sent the photo to and hope they’re not very smart. Haha

04-Nov-18
I’m sure you didn’t mean smart. But uninformed. A lot of smart people are not tech savvy. This thread probably has a lot of people freaking out about how many photos are instantly sent everywhere as soon as an animal is down.

04-Nov-18
Thanks altitude! I like it.

04-Nov-18

SixLomaz's embedded Photo
SixLomaz's embedded Photo
With location on in general, and off in the camera settings on Android platform there is mo GPS info attached to pictures.

04-Nov-18
Open a picture, then use the menu to get to info on the picture. It will show the location if it was saved

04-Nov-18
Thanks Bob H in NH. I just opened a pic and my location is turned off (Whew!!). Also, at the bottom of the menu is a "Show date and location tags". Hit that and you can turn on/off the tag for the photo. I had no idea about this so thanks.

04-Nov-18
Not sending a pic is easy. But some asshole on Instagram blowing up the world with scenery pics or even pictures of the rock formations is what really ends entire units. Or these statements ..."ya, we went down into town to Wal-Mart...."

04-Nov-18
That's why you need to be smarter than the phone!

04-Nov-18
No phone....no problem. Maps and a compass. Whatever did we do before the 1980`s.

05-Nov-18
Try talking a picture with those Franklin! What are you hauling in, a Polaroid?

05-Nov-18
well done cnelk! my buddy did the same thing with a deer spot. He kept telling me this is where were going and sending me the video, I didn't believe him. Then when I got there I couldn't believe he had pieced it all together and found the spot. Be careful what you post!

06-Nov-18
As mentioned, sometimes you can turn off the GPS location for your pics and it can get turned on by accident... So what I do is take a screen shot (which shouldn't be geotagged - unless that has changed) of my couple of favorite pics and then mark them as favorites so I can easily know which ones are which and then just send those...

07-Nov-18
Actually I do take in film camera....lol. I`m hunting....no need for a phone or a GPS.

07-Nov-18
i became aware of this last year when stopping at a rest stop with my family. had the location active for the map feature on the phone. took a scenery pic wit my daughter at the rest stop and before we got back in the truck, Goggle texted me " we noticed you took a picture at Kansas rest stop. would you like to post it on Facebook?"

• Sitka Gear