ELKMAN 07-Nov-18
320 bull 07-Nov-18
Hessticles 07-Nov-18
JL 07-Nov-18
scentman 08-Nov-18
04-Nov-18

Hessticles's embedded Photo
So last night I made a bad shot on a good deer. Shot was about mid body about 8 inches in front of back hip. We found alot of blood to start with but fizzled out. We seen him about noon today about 18hrs later walking away slow in real thick cover. We backed out, think he will be dead by tomorrow morning? Neighbor thinks he seen him bedded at 20yrds while checking his cameras but ended up busting out of there when a coon walked by him.

04-Nov-18
Yup, gut shot if it got stomach or intestines, dead deer. Usually in 24 hrs or less. Shawn

04-Nov-18
Lot s blood for a gut only shot.

04-Nov-18
Best of luck on the recovery.

04-Nov-18
Bou not sure if I caught liver also? Blood trail was bout 200 yrds total before it fizzled out, 100 yrds of that was pry some of best blood trail I've had, I did find a chunk of hair that had bile like color and smell to it! I shoot muzzy trocars

04-Nov-18
Not unusual at all to have lots of blood especially sine they are walking and standing for long periods

04-Nov-18

Hessticles's Link

04-Nov-18
double post

04-Nov-18
Your video looks like walking blood and then standing a good while is behavior of a gut hit deer. Did you trail him ANY in the first hour?

I had one to live 3 days once.Ive unfortunately gut shot a lot of WT and it seemed that the further back I shot them the quicker peritonitis set in.The centerpunched deer would take longer but that may not hold for everyone.

I always said if your gonna hit back hit waaaaaay back

04-Nov-18
No I waited for bout 3 hrs before looking, as far as i know we didnt push him last night, today he was about 150yrds from where last blood was

04-Nov-18
Are you sure the deer that was seen later was the same one you shot? Just going on the video, that buck isn’t going far or living long.

04-Nov-18
Yes, friend said he was 100% sure he seen a dried blood spot in same area where I told him I thought he was hit, he had binos on him at 60ish yrds

04-Nov-18
Shitty feeling! I didnt sleep one bit last night!

04-Nov-18
That looks like a heavy blood trail for a gut shot. Did you recover your arrow or any part of it? Was the deer shot from a treestand or ground bind? Any chance the arrow quartered into the off side back ham? To me the blood seems to heavy for a gut shot.

04-Nov-18
Shot was ground level, he was pretty broadside, it was on the top of a ridge so if it went through it sailed into a swampy bottom.

04-Nov-18
I'm with powder all day long. Never seen a gut shot produce that amount of blood. Something else got hit and it wasn't liver.

04-Nov-18
Well guts were also hit, and hes still alive so that's what I'm trying to figure out! Hes a 150-160" whitetail possibly bigger

04-Nov-18
I've had to trail a few and many were alive 15+ hrs later. I now always wait as LONG as I can ( 14-24 hrs). I agree with everything Genesis said. It's definitely a dead deer so keep looking. Terrible feeling man....fingers crossed!

04-Nov-18
Well guts were also hit, and hes still alive so that's what I'm trying to figure out! Hes a 150-160" whitetail possibly bigger

04-Nov-18
Sorry repost

04-Nov-18
Sucks but if you knew it was a gut shot you have to wait 8hrs minimum and overnight would be better. He would of bedded and not been able to get up the next morning. Hope ya find him! Shawn

04-Nov-18
It was walking 18 hours later. No guarantee it would have died in 8. What makes you think it would have

04-Nov-18
Hope you find him. Sounds like he’s been bumped a few times but he’s lost a lot of blood. I can’t imagine he’s far from the last place he was seen. Let him bed and die. He won’t be far.

04-Nov-18
Keep searching,,good luck, variables in the field are sometimes a factor.

04-Nov-18
I would think that will be a dead deer by that amount of blood....he`s dead....you just have to find him now.

05-Nov-18
Any update/pics??

05-Nov-18
Look around water. Typically, that's where they end up dying.

05-Nov-18
Agree on the water. I've found a couple marginally hit bucks in a nearby creek. They definitely seek out water.

05-Nov-18
I've unfortunately had blood tails look like that and never recovered the deer.

If you hit him in the guts as well, he should be dead. Keep looking. Good luck, keep us posted.

05-Nov-18
Cause they obviously bumped it. If let lay and the deer calms and is not getting pumped with adrenaline peritonitis sets in fairly quickly and it will get very sick feeling and not want to get up. They normally die within 8 hrs or so. not always but bumping them does nothing to help because if they keep moving and heart keeps pumping it slows the death process! Shawn

05-Nov-18
deer dog available?

05-Nov-18

1 lung and guts, died last night he was still warm when we found him about noon!

05-Nov-18

05-Nov-18
great deer well done. knew that blood was more than gut!

05-Nov-18
Congratulations on a nice buck, and for sticking with the search. Where's the story about the recovery?

05-Nov-18
Hell of an effort. Well done and congrats!

05-Nov-18
congrats on keeping with it

05-Nov-18
Fantastic. Way to go. Bad hits will happen eventually, and no one enjoys it. Great job on the follow through

05-Nov-18
Congratulations! Glad you stuck to it and were able to find him! Great buck!

05-Nov-18
Awesome!! Great buck and a happy ending! Congratulations.

05-Nov-18
Entry was left side of the deer, I didnt look real close as he was rank, but caught back of lung went through diaphragm and through the stomach

05-Nov-18
Good job!

05-Nov-18
Way to stick with it, Great deer!!

05-Nov-18

05-Nov-18

Exit

05-Nov-18
Looking at your video link convinced me that was a dead deer walking. Nice buck.....and nice shot....nothing wrong with it.

05-Nov-18
Nice job. Congrats!

05-Nov-18
Congrats and well done on sticking with it!

05-Nov-18
Great deer.

I'm happy for you.

05-Nov-18
How far from last sighting was he found? Man, animals are tuff!!!

05-Nov-18
Congratulations. That’s a dandy all day long.

05-Nov-18
Excellent deer great job on recovery.

05-Nov-18
Atta boy!

05-Nov-18
Really nice deer. Based off your description I was expecting the shot farther back. That’s a good shot. A touch back and low but a good shot. Congrats on a good buck and way to recover him.

05-Nov-18
Great job keeping after it!!

05-Nov-18
Ambush he was pry 350 yrds away as crow flys from where we seen him

05-Nov-18
This is good, congrats man...nice buck!

05-Nov-18
Nice buck! Glad you persisted and found him!

05-Nov-18
Awesome man!!!! I watched the video before getting to the pic of you finding him. I figured he was quartering too after seeing the blood

05-Nov-18
That is great! Congrats and way to stay with it!

06-Nov-18
Well done, sticking with it and finding the deer. Nice buck!

With that blood trail (video) it would be hard to imagine not finding that deer and surprised he made it that far...

The first pic looks like someone spilled their cherry cobbler on the ground

06-Nov-18
Good job on the recovery! Congrats!

06-Nov-18
Nice recovery on a nice deer. Seeing the large amount of blood I knew it was more than a gut shot. Had to be a main artery cut.

06-Nov-18
wow. just watched the video... I would never have thought guts on that shot. Id have trailed him till he ran out of blood.. congrats.

06-Nov-18
excellent buck and job on finding him!

06-Nov-18
Nice work!!! Great buck too!!

06-Nov-18
Thanks guys! Definitely bittersweet! A lot of sleepless nights! How I shot him was dumb luck!

06-Nov-18
What broadhead were you using?

07-Nov-18
Muzzy trocar

07-Nov-18
Good job!

07-Nov-18
Nice job for sure!!!

07-Nov-18
So little story on the luck I had on shooting him! I shot a decent buck a couple weeks ago and a buddy helped me drag him 3/4 mile as there was no way else of getting to him, I told him I'd buy him and his wife dinner for helping. Well on Saturday on my way up to hunt my wife informed me that we were meeting them for dinner, she wasnt happy I told her I would hunt til dark and then meet up with them. About 6pm I hadn't seen much so decided to get out of the stand early to meet them, on my way out I was about 100yrds from my jeep and noticed two deer in the corn, pulled up the binos and almost shit when I seen him! So I started side stepping and got the jeep between him and I and snuck up to my jeep. He was still bout 100 yrds out. Bout that time a doe came out to my left in the corn and he went over to check her out, it started getting dark so I thought my only shot was to grunt at him, the doe turned on a dime and headed straight to me with him following. She jumped the fence and then he did also, she came straight down the fence to me as I was pretty much in the wide open. At about 30 yrds she spooked a little and went around me, he veered off a little to the trees unsure of why she spooked. He was about to drop down into the bottom when i shot him. The rest of the tracking story was pretty much all posted above! Sometimes just takes dumb luck!

07-Nov-18
Hey...I'll take luck everyday. Of course sometimes ya have to make your own luck.

08-Nov-18
Nice job, I thought blood was kid of bright. Happy endings are nice to hear!

• Sitka Gear