1boonr 12-Nov-18
dgb 12-Nov-18
ELKMAN 12-Nov-18
Buglmin 12-Nov-18
ElkNut1 12-Nov-18
Bentstick81 14-Nov-18
Scooter 14-Nov-18
05-Nov-18
If for 2019 you were offered a Free Bow of your choice what would you choose? Lots of choices out there! What's Yours!!!!

I think I'd choose the New Hoyt, I like their looks & it appears to be a good shooter & not too heavy & bulky looking!

ElkNut/Paul

05-Nov-18
I too would choose the new Hoyt RX-3. And they would need to give it to me for free, because unfortunately I can't afford it and will have to continue to shoot my old Carbon Matrix... Now if you know of someone that wants to give me one...it sure would be nice to use on the two premium hunts I've drawn for next year including free range bison in Arizona! Ha

05-Nov-18
Black Widow KB recurve in osage.

05-Nov-18
PSE Omen Pro - I have it!

05-Nov-18
PSE Evolve 35

05-Nov-18
I already have it! 2 Blacktail recurve's and now a New Blacktail 3 piece take down longbow! Thanks!

05-Nov-18
If I was going to get a new bow it would be a PSE Carbon Air 35 EC.

05-Nov-18
I will take A Border Covert with Hex 8 limbs. Thank you Paul. Do you need my shipping address:)

05-Nov-18
Geez, I don't think I can afford you guys! (grin)

I don't even know what a Border Covert with Hex 8 limbs is????

ElkNut/Paul

05-Nov-18
A Grayling Bear wood handle “A” takedown in 50#.

05-Nov-18
I have no idea. I’d have to shoot them first to know which one works best for me.

05-Nov-18
My buy list this year, PSE evoke 31, New Breed BX2, Elite Ritual 30. Probably order all of them then see what I like best if any.

05-Nov-18
A Bear Takedown.

05-Nov-18
I would need a compound with a long ATA (finger shooter). So the carbon bows are probably out of the picture.

I'm pretty happy with my Elite Pure. If it ain't broke...

05-Nov-18
Primal Styk X R66 62"54#@261/2 Longbow by Robertson

05-Nov-18
I can't even find a new bow that works for me anymore...... That's why the archery industry pretty much lost me some time ago. There has not been enough performance innovation to make it worth my while to buy a bow in a really long time.

05-Nov-18
I'd ask if anyone has a Mathews "Outback". My current bow and my favorite. Won't give it up for anything.

05-Nov-18
Hoyt rx3

05-Nov-18
Right now - in my price-is-no-object daydreams - I’m leaning toward a Border Hawk Hunter GL in 62”; then I just have to figure out the right poundage. But it would (ideally) be right around the same as the length. Maybe a shade heavier.

A longbow that can throw a hunting-weight arrow with a Broadhead on it 300 yards ought to kill whatever I need to shoot.

05-Nov-18
Zipper SXT with bocote and both recurve / longbow limb sets

05-Nov-18
Probably one of the new Bowtechs. And i currently shoot a Hoyt.

06-Nov-18
Already have em, and have for a few years... 1) WhippenStick Phoenix take down recurve and 2) Same bowyer, but a one piece RD longbow.

Good to go.

06-Nov-18
Toelke Chinook!

06-Nov-18

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Funny question. I just went through this and bought two new bows last spring and summer. Sold both of them and am still shooting my 5 year old carbon knight !!!

It's 5 fps faster than the 6.5" brace 2018 bow I first bought and it doesn't have all the doohickies all over the limbs to catch on the oak brush I hunt in. In addition it's about a pound lighter than the new ones which allows me to put stabilizer weight where I want and still be manageable.

I found that newer and fancier isn't always better when it comes to my tools of the trade. Attached a pic of an actual 3" group at 60 yards. It's a beautiful thing when you already own what you really want and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

06-Nov-18
You guys are taking me by surprise! I had no idea so many would be choosing Trad Bows, very cool! It must be the In thing! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

06-Nov-18
I'm an Elite guy, but I'd probably opt for an RX3 Ultra. The lighter weight and longer ATA appeals to me. My bow shoulder is bad and a lighter weight bow is desirable for me. Probably 50 pounder.

06-Nov-18
And the Krazy-Kool thing is that you can go absolutely nuts on a custom Tradbow for about the cost of a high-end, completely soulless wheelie. But then you aren’t obligated to keep on spending for sights and rests and stabs and quivers and noise-reduction doohickeys and releases and all that kit...

Plus, a nice recurve or longbow is purty enough that the Missus will let you keep it out where you can see it. ;)

06-Nov-18
A new Pronghorn take down longbow. I have a great one but one with some fancier wood would be fun. Longbows and recurves have been the "in thing" for me since my dad brought be home a recurve from a garage sale in the 70's. I have a dozen or more around and built a few of my own.

06-Nov-18
Paul the reason I picked a Border Covert is because you are buying:) I would never pay that much. Twice what we complain about an RX3

06-Nov-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Little Blonde's first kill!
Little Blonde's first kill!
Spot and Stalk Antelope with my little guy a few years back
Spot and Stalk Antelope with my little guy a few years back
2017 Bull Elk
2017 Bull Elk
2018 Antelope
2018 Antelope
Good question, Paul.

Built my first bow in 2005.

Cute, dainty little blonde with nice curves. Not only cute, but silently sends arrows down range as fast as any custom bow costing way more. Wasn't sure how well my untrained hands could do and worried that being with me might prove to be fatal in short order and she might not even live to make it to her first birthday. She has definitely proved herself in hellish mountain country from Alaska to Argentina and is still going strong.

Damn, but if she doesn't seem to get prettier every year with her auburn streaks and swirls! Her beauty marks and scratches prove she ain't no princess but make her even more beautiful with each passing year.

First critter I shot with her was a buffalo. Blew thru his lungs and stuck in the snow 20 yards on the other side. Not sure how many elk, mule deer and whitetails she's sent arrows through but it's been a pile.

More recently, she was my companion on my elk last year and my antelope this year.

Have bought and used a number of different bows over the years but she's still my favorite little killer. Feels like I am cheating on her if I shoot a critter with something else...

Keep thinking I need to build her a little sister, but am afraid she will get jealous and quit killin' stuff if I am not careful.

Although she wasn't free - think I had about $200 in materials and still have enough for another one - I think I will go ahead stick with her for 2019. She's been awfully good to me.

06-Nov-18
Too bad that trad gear wounds so many animals;)

06-Nov-18
"Too bad that trade gear wounds so many animals;) "

Uh oh!!!....here we go.

For a compound I'll stick with APA bows. For a string bow...I'd consider anything that has a safe 30"+ draw length.

06-Nov-18
Yup, my little blonde has wounded a pile! Without those wounds and blood, it would be a lot tougher to trail and gather up the dead ones;-)

06-Nov-18
With my compound I always see them fall;)

You know I am just playing around!

06-Nov-18
Best recurve I have ever shot is my wing presentation 2 followed by my 3 wing thunderbirds. I have many other recurves and longbows but they are the ones I like the best. As far as compounds are concerned I am happy with my Mathews z7 extreme. I also love my Excalibur matrix 355.

06-Nov-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
44 years running. DARTONS hunting

06-Nov-18

Dartons 44 years Field, Target & 3-D too

06-Nov-18
My any bow is being built right now!

Rivers Edge Recurve XL. 62" 50#@29". Black walnut and myrtle burl riser with myrtle burl limbs under clear glass. Expected 1st week of December, just in time for a merry xmas!

06-Nov-18
The one hanging in the tree with me right now! Good luck bow hunters

06-Nov-18
Its NOT the gear that wounds animals, Its the NUT shooting it! You do YOUR PART and your gear will do its part! Seems like a "NO BRAINER" to me! Good Luck this fall!

06-Nov-18
Mint 1957 56" Bear Kodiak, anywhere around 45-50 #'s. I really need a new compound but doesn't hurt to dream about the good old days does it?

06-Nov-18
I'd pass and keep my D350 ;)

06-Nov-18
One that wouldn't miss.

06-Nov-18
Bear signature takedown recurve

08-Nov-18
Trad gear has been around for thousands of years,compounds not so much. I would take a lefthand Beartype 1 C riser at 50 pounds

08-Nov-18
Treeline, little blonde is quite the catch! Good work for a first bow for sure!

Me: it would have to be my TallTines recurves. They’ve become as much a part of my hunting as my two hands. Would be very hard to put them down

08-Nov-18

jsgold's embedded Photo
jsgold's embedded Photo
I already own it. River's Edge Recurve (RER) Arroyo. 58" length and 50 lbs. @ 28" -- Looks great and shoots even better. Awesome bow!

08-Nov-18
Bowtech

08-Nov-18
Yep, I’d like to shoot the Realm SR6.

08-Nov-18
At the moment it would be my current Elite Ritual in 40-50#. Very good bow.

Tomorrow or 2 yrs from now- who knows. Depends whats being built and how comfortable a reliable it is to shoot.

08-Nov-18
Wow. Many traditionalists at heart. Who'd a thought ?

08-Nov-18
Wyo bullshooter, what are you shooting now?

p.s. great bull you took, congrats!

ElkNut/Paul

08-Nov-18
Thanks Paul. I’m shooting a BowTech BTX-28. Love the bow. Had it for 3 yrs , 3 shots, 3 elk. That said, I’m still in the market for a great backup! ;-)

08-Nov-18
My java man elkheart.

09-Nov-18
I will be the odd man out and pick a Mathews Triax, I was born into a Mathews household and it's hard to break tradition. Once they get marked down I'll trade in my Reezen 6.5 for one. I'm a shorter guy, I like a shorter ATA bow, and I love how it performs. But, if I had to pick a second, Hoyt Rx-3.

09-Nov-18
Anyone that Fred Bear used.

09-Nov-18
The Realm X, or the Hoyt RX1/3 Ultra. But the bow I will NEVER let go of is my Hoyt Alpha 35 Z3 cam. That bow is still the all time greatest.

09-Nov-18
I would get a Dick Boss longbow. I traded one of his 3 piece longbows off and really regret it. I'll continue to shoot my Diamond Black Ice, I'm not interested in a new compound, yet.

09-Nov-18
Rob, I hear ya, it seems we all feel there could be something better, of course that should make us Better too! (grin) 3 elk in 3 years with same bow, tough to retire that one!

ELKMAN, OK, what makes the Hoyt Alpha 35 Z3 Cam, so desirable? I had the Alphamax 32 & really liked the bow & took elk with it but it was nothing special plus it was jumpy at full draw if you relaxed even the slightest! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

09-Nov-18
I am very happy with my 2014 Obsession Evolution. If I could have another bow, it would be another version of the same bow. It's fast, forgiving and reliable. I shoot it better than any other bow I've ever owned or shot.

09-Nov-18
Realm SS After shooting it yesterday at our pro shop I was hooked.

09-Nov-18
I would settle for a set of 62", 48 lbs. limbs for my Black Widow MAII Graybark.

10-Nov-18
Paul: The Z3 cam is just the most forgiving efficient hunting cam ever made. Smooth draw force curve (Draw specific) and very efficient at lower draw lengths.(Still just as fast as my RX Ultra and faster than the Defiants by a fair bit) Because of the cam design and where the cables enter and attache to the cam they are VERY difficult to get to go out of time, and damn there impossible to get them to go out of tune. They will shoot anything from a 500 to a 300 spine at 70 pounds. And you know those arrows you shake your head as soon as the release breaks? They're in the middle too... Why do you think Randy Ulmer was spray painting his bow for 10 years and sitting them just so for the photos??? LOL! They are the ultimate hunting machine.

10-Nov-18
Casey, thanks a bunch, I'm going to see about getting my hands on one, I do have a shorter draw at 27-1/2" -- Right now I'm shooting the Energy Elite 32, it's a nice bow but am looking for another, thank you for the info!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Nov-18
Paul can I buy your bow. My new, latest greatest bow did not kill an elk for me. Your bow obviously kills more elk. Oh wait maybe it’s not the bow. It’s the Nut behind it. Hey thank you again for the hunting tips and techniques. It helped put a sharp edge on my basic knowledge. I used some of them this sept to help a friend shoot his first bull on his second elk hunt.

10-Nov-18
Ha Ha, I thought it was the bow, actually not a bad bow at all but I've had it for 3-4 years now. Used to be I'd hang on to one for 10 years or so but these days I like trading out.

That's awesome to hear a few of the Tactics shared were of help to you, thanks for mentioning it bud! I bet your buddy was stoked, very cool of you to help him out!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Nov-18
Without a doubt a custom Schafer Silvertip!

11-Nov-18
I already have it. Bowtech Realm. Haven’t shot the new Bowtech line up but love my Realm above all other major brands I shot before making a purchase. I’m looking to purchase my first stickbow now and am really impressed with the Stalker lineup from South Cox. Love supporting local good guys as well.

11-Nov-18
Paul PM me if you need a possible line on cams, or even a full build. What poundage do you prefer?

11-Nov-18
Casey, thank you, that sounds good! I've been at 65# 27-1/2" draw the last few years, my arrow is 425 grains with a 350 VAP V-1 shaft.

ElkNut/Paul

12-Nov-18
I would take gene wensels. It seems to work great.

12-Nov-18
I'd take Art Young's personal bow! (or Saxton Pope's)

12-Nov-18
I can definitely make you one of those Paul. Just need to locate a #3 cam.

12-Nov-18
I bought two custom sticks this spring, and I do love the Rampart Legacy Buddy from Poison Dart Bows made for me.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what Prime bow to get. We only get one a year, and I didn't like the Logic last year. Will probably get another Centergy decked out with custom colors.

12-Nov-18
Casey, keep me posted! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Nov-18
Mid 1980's Martin Pro Series Firecat.

14-Nov-18
Bow tech..Reign 7

• Sitka Gear