Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Titan_Bow 06-Nov-18
Scoot 06-Nov-18
SlipShot 06-Nov-18
Titan_Bow 06-Nov-18
PTArcher1 06-Nov-18
06-Nov-18
3 years ago I picked up the compound bow after 30 some years of shooting traditional. My son really wanted a compound and I knew absolutely nothing about them. So three years ago, I bought bows for he and I and started down the road of learning something new. In that time, I was shooting Black Eagle arrows with G5 Strikers out of a Hoyt Carbon Sypder at 65lbs. In that 3 years time, I’ve shot a bull elk and 3 deer. All were complete pass throughs and all were recovered in a very short distance. HOWEVER, other than the elk, bloodtrails have been pretty non-existent. Last night I shot a buck with them. The shot was 42 yards, slight quartering away. The arrow hit back of the lungs going in and came out forward on the lungs on the opposite side. Did not hit the heart, just double lung. The arrow zipped right through and the deer bounded off. Luckily I watched him crash not far from the shot. To my amazement when I got to the shot location, I found the arrow but hardly a drop of blood. I knew where the buck was so I walked to him then decided to back trail him to the shot location just to confirm. I followed his backtrail and was astonished by the lack of blood produced by a double lung pass through shot. I had similar results on a mule deer last year, and the other deer I’ve shot bled very little. All were double lung and pass throughs. The elk was liver lung and quartering away, and on that one, it looked like someone threw buckets of blood out! I’m starting to think maybe I should think about a different head with larger cutting diameter for deer? My boy shot his first deer last year and I had him shooting muzzy phantoms. He hit double lung and clipped the heart. I could stand at the shot location and look up through the grass and woods and see an almost solid line of red blood. I’ve shot loads of stuff with a Zwickeys, Magnus, STOS, and Cut Throats, and always had ample blood. Is it the broadhead here? Just circumstance and shot placement? What gives? I’ve been fortunate that none had required any real tracking, but my concern is I’m not always going to see them drop, I’d like a little better bloodtrail to follow! What are your thoughts and experiences with the G5 Striker? On the plus side, they fly great and all my animals they zip right through them

06-Nov-18
I've had good luck with G5 Strikers. Blood trails vary and the broadhead that created them is only one of the variables. Not all double lung shots will create the same blood trail, regardless of broadhead. Amount of blood from my Striker kills has varied some, but mostly they've been pretty good. I've never felt like if I had used a similar sized fixed head from a different manufacturer I would have had a better blood trail.

06-Nov-18
I have been shooting G5 Strikers for 6 seasons and they are deadly. I have killed 5 bulls, 1 cow, and 2 bear in the 6 seasons. All of the the animals except one bear died within 60 yards; most in sight. One bear went over 100 yards, but that was my fault as a pushed her. I really can't say how the blood trails compare to other broadheads.

06-Nov-18
SlipShot, that’s been my experience too. I have pretty much watched everything drop, fortunately. Maybe it is just circumstance. I don’t think I’ll change up things, as I’ve really had good luck with them and they fly great

06-Nov-18
I also have used Strikers the last two years. Shot 2 whitetails with them with excellent results, both found within 60 yards, but less than desirable blood trails. I also used them for elk, but haven't taken a shot. The lack of blood concerns me with both species especially elk. I'm trying the new Sevr broadheads for deer this year, unsure what to switch to for elk.

06-Nov-18
I used them for two years because with some hunting buddies they were all the rage, pun intended. They killed cleanly, but I was always disappointed in the blood trails. I still cannot fully explain it. I took to sharpening them out of the package, and that seemed to help.

Two years ago I switched back to Thunderheads. TH just seem much sharper than my G5s did. I still have two packages of the G5s and use them on the occasional coyote or other varmint.

I took one bear with the G5s, and one with TH. Both bears piled up within 40 yards, lots of blood with the TH, could never find blood with the G5. Everyone said it was because of the bear's long hair. Both were center punched double lungs.

Both shot out of 67lb Defiants using GT 340s, 100 grain BH. They flew true, no complaints on that. GL.

• Sitka Gear