Overland 07-Nov-18
ground hunter 07-Nov-18
Tracker 11-Nov-18
Tonybear61 11-Nov-18
Feedjake 11-Nov-18
KPD 11-Nov-18
ELKMAN 12-Nov-18
07-Nov-18
I've used a HSS Pro Series harness for years. There are times I like the vest design but lately I've found I think I'd prefer more of a minimalist harness, not to mention it probably wouldn't hurt to replace my harness after 10+ years of use. What are you guys favorite harnesses and why? Thanks,

07-Nov-18
I personally like the HSS vest design, that said there are some really nice ones out there now that are more minimalist. If I were you though and wanting to go in that direction I would look into using a rock climbing harness. Lots of guys on here swear by them!

07-Nov-18
I still have one of the original SOP's. It is a good design.

07-Nov-18
Brotsky what I don’t like about the rock climbers I’ve seen is they attach in the front. Seams good for climbing or falling but not so good sitting and shooting. I know little about them though.

07-Nov-18
Been using a RC for about 8 years. Right now I have. vario speed harness, light weight, easy to go over any layers I have on , no problem shooting at all, in fact its way less in the way then tether that hangs off you back.

07-Nov-18
Love my RC harness, never tested it but way better to hunt in than the hss or any of the other ones, wearing mine right now

07-Nov-18
Link- I thought the same thing. This is my second season in a rock climbing harness. I think it is much more out the way than strap behind you. Mostly when shooting behind you more than 90 degrees to the side. I also like that it is smaller. I forget I have it on walking or takes up less space pack. Also a plus is adding removing clothes while on stand. That was always a issue with a harness.

07-Nov-18
Rock climber here too and I love it. I don't encourage anyone else to use one just based on my experience. Wear what you are most comfortable with so you will not hesitate to trust it and use it every time you're in a tree.

07-Nov-18
^^What Lost Arra said. I went with a Rock climber and like it much more than any other that I have tried. Never believed it would work until I went to REI and goofed around with one. I also liked the fact that a tree hugger had to listen to me tell them what it was for. :)

07-Nov-18
I had the vest style harness until last year and decided to try out a muddy harness. It’s so much easier to get on and off and the hooks on it are great for hanging a range finder or binocs. And now I have access to all the pockets in my jacket that the vest style harness covered up.

07-Nov-18
Unfortunately where I'm at here in Indiana we don't have anywhere that sells rock climbing harnesses. So...what RC harness are you all using? Do they allow you to connect a lineman's belt when needed for hanging a stand or whatever? Tell me more, you have my interest now!

07-Nov-18
Im using a petzle

07-Nov-18
https://m.petzl.com/CA/en/Sport/Harnesses/TOUR

07-Nov-18
Rock harness here too.

07-Nov-18
I use the HSS Bowhunters harness. Very minimal and easy to get on and off. Been using it since they came out with it

07-Nov-18
I like the rock harness. It’s also nice because I can get out of my climber and move it above branches or adjust the leveling on it.

07-Nov-18
I'm a rock climber and own many, many harnesses. For hunting I use a Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness. It's super easy to put on and take off, and you will forget you're wearing it in the stand.

07-Nov-18
For you guys using the vario speed harness, will it fit a trim 80 lb kid? I just ordered a women’s harness because my daughters waist measurement was at the bottom end of the waist specs. After getting it, it lacked enough vertical and leg adjustment for a tall 9 year old. It fits her waist though, lol. The vario on steep and cheap says “one size fits all”.

07-Nov-18
I have the same Summit harness that Pat is talking about, and I really like it.

07-Nov-18

Scrappy's Link
Riock climbing harness for me to and wont ever go back. Look on YouTube for answers to all your questions about one. 15% off your first order here.

07-Nov-18

Scrappy's Link
This is the one I actually have.

07-Nov-18
I’m using a rock climbing harness also. My only issue is getting it on when I have on insulated bibs and muck boots. My hss was easy to put on. Mostly I prefer the rc

07-Nov-18
The leg loops on the petzl i posted open so its easy, i where it under my cold weather camo, sometimes i put it on at home

07-Nov-18
I was right.

07-Nov-18
I am another that switched to a rock climbing harness and I don't see ever going back. All the advantages listed by others above and no disadvantages that I have found. Like JohnMC mentioned I find it easier to shoot around both sides of the tree than I did with a full harness. The rope is simply not an issue if you set up for it correctly.

I did have to look around quite a bit to find one to fit. I have a 38 waist and needed extra to be able to go over layers as well. Apparently not many fat guys are rock climbers. Mine is a Petzl and I went in to REI to try them on and find one that would work.

07-Nov-18
Another great addition to my rock harness system is a GriGri descender device. It replaces the prusic knot and allows you to slowly lower yourself to the ground if somehow your stand or step system failed or for some reason you weren't able to climb back down normally after a fall.

07-Nov-18
McCree, a lineman's belt attachment is a little "tricky" with the RC, but it can be done. You have a couple options. 1) attach both in the center, a little narrow, but doable. 2) just clip into the sides of the RC or 3) attach loops...but you better be sure of your sewing or knot tying ability.

Adding and subtracting coats, bibs, bino-harness are all a breeze with the RC. I wear it over my pants and then pull my bibs on once i cool down in the stand. I either leave the zipper open or briefly disconnect to thread it through the bottom of the zipper.

07-Nov-18
Black Diamond rock climbing harness.

07-Nov-18
Seat of the Pants, with added carbiners on the side ( climbers loops from REI, EMS, Petzel, etc. for my redundant lineman's rope.

I use leg irons for excellent grip and flexibility in most situations.

07-Nov-18
I have an original SOP and like it. Admittedly I have not used others. I like that it has a contained suspension strap on it and packs into it's own fanny pack so I don't have to strap up until I get to the tree and put on any layers I may have left off on my walk in to avoid overheating.

I am probably going to try a rock climbing harness at some point. But I think, even if I had an RC harness, I would use the SOP for hanging stands as it is simple for using the linesman belt.

07-Nov-18
I went to a rock climbing harness from a SOP and love it

07-Nov-18
I'm fairly young and hunted over a decade in stands with no harness. Never gave it a thought. However, I've recently got my wife into bow hunting and thought she's not used to stands so I bought her the HSS Hybrid Flex. Her jacket doesn't have as many pockets as mine and it has some almost like spandex type pockets that hold her grunt and rangefinder. It also has a band that goes over the leg buckles that keeps them from clinking when she walks. I decided to try one since I also have two boys now and bought the HSS X-1 Bowhunter. It doesn't have the pockets but I don't need them. I really like it. Only thing is mine didn't come with something over the leg buckles so I hear a clink when I walk so I don't buckle them until I get to my stand. Heard great things about the Summit ones too though.

07-Nov-18
Thanks guys. I just ordered a Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness from Moosejaw.com for 20% off and free shipping. $38 to my door, can't beat that for a harness in my book. What do you guys use for a lanyard on yours? I have a customized rope lanyard on my HSS. I'll probably reuse it unless you all give me a better idea.

07-Nov-18
rock climbing harness connected to a tree stand wingman, which lowers you to the ground should I fall... without a way of getting back into your stand or being lowered to the ground, id be in trouble..and I'm sure, many others would be too..

07-Nov-18
McCree,

I think you'll be happy with the switch and happy with that harness. You might have been able to beat the $38 to your door - did you go through activejunky.com for 10% cash back on your moosejaw order? If anyone else is ordering from moosejaw, use activejunky.com. It also works on most outdoors-related sites. I won't spam my invite code on the forum, but if you use my invite code you and I both get $10 on your first order. That would make the Alpine Bod harness $24.20. PM me if you want the invite code, or just sign up on your own. Free money is free money!

07-Nov-18
had the SOP, but after 20 years, replaced it,,,,, Tree Spider

11-Nov-18
I use my SOP to set stands then the RC the rest of the time. I have a Petzl and love that thing. I set it with no slack when I sit and hand full rotation to shoot all around. I used the SOP for 20 years but it never gets worn any more.

11-Nov-18
Tried the tree spider, rode up too high and was uncomfortable even after adjustment.Especially when I had to tie my boots, bend down to clip my leg climbers on. My son uses it seems to fit his frame better.

11-Nov-18
Went to the Black Diamond Alpine rock climbing harness this year and love it! Easy to put on, stays out of the way. I won’t be going back!

11-Nov-18
Has anyone here with an RC harness actually fallen and have a caught you? Is it difficult to recover ?

I have a tree spider speed harness, and fell this year. It’s swung me back into the tree face first. Got a few stitches in a nice shiner, but otherwise it did as it should.

12-Nov-18
Rock climbing/line men's harness. Black diamond on amazon hands down

• Sitka Gear