drslyr 08-Nov-18
patdel 08-Nov-18
ACB 08-Nov-18
SBH 08-Nov-18
Feedjake 08-Nov-18
spike78 08-Nov-18
Will 08-Nov-18
07-Nov-18
I’m looking to try Alpaca socks for cold weather.

What brand do you suggest? Blend?? Thickness???

07-Nov-18
So many brands from the farm shops. I look for close to 100% blend as I can get. Not sure if 60% is good enough but I love mine the thicker the better!

07-Nov-18
Same here 100% blend and thicker the better. Look up Alpaca farmers.

07-Nov-18
I believe there is a outfit from Wisconsin that makes them....I was looking into buying them also.

07-Nov-18
Alpacas of Montana. They'll spoil you. I dont want to wear anything else. I've got the heavy light grey ones for hunting. And some thinner ones for normal use.

I've got a bunch of merino wool socks, that I dont even really want to wear anymore.

07-Nov-18
While your at it, check out the hunting hat they sell. They claim it's the warmest hat out there. Could be true. I love that thing. Comfy too.

07-Nov-18
WoodsEdge Farm Stockton NJ Grow all their own wool, llama, and alpaca good tight weave socks,BOOT inner soles which I added to my Schnee boots under the wool liner, and knit gloves Alpaca just does seem a little bit warmer

07-Nov-18
All the guys wearing wool don’t know what they are missing. I haven’t worn wool since! I also have a pair of thick Yak socks coming from Russia to try out. The Russians must know what they are doing when it comes to cold.

07-Nov-18
How do they wear?

08-Nov-18
spike78 - What's your source for Yak socks?

08-Nov-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Here is my 100% Alpaca socks after 4 seasons of constant wear. Almost look new!

08-Nov-18
Zbone the seller for the Yak socks is woolengoods. The ship time may be awhile although mine say shipped already. Hoping they are good!

08-Nov-18
I bought some at an alpaca farm in Belchertown MA. Pretty happy withem

08-Nov-18
Ike, I'd say they're not as durable as wool. The heel starts to wear thin after a year or two. But I work outside all winter and wear them Mid november to March. So that's really not too bad.

But they are more comfortable. Soft.

08-Nov-18
That is the problem with Alpaca socks that I have found some do not hold there shape or hold up to heavy use . The quality is all over the place because of all the little farms making there own . That being said when you find a supply that does you will find a warm product.

08-Nov-18
I'm interested. What is so much better about them over wool?

08-Nov-18
Less weight than wool, hypoallergenic because there's on lanolin, and naturally water resistant. Pretty cool stuff!

08-Nov-18
ACB I think that may have to do with how you wash them. I don’t believe you are supposed to wash them with hot water or even throw them in the dryer. I do it anyway but I bet they last longer if done correct way.

08-Nov-18
I get mine from an Alpaca farm in Philipston MA. Popple Camp Alpaca's I believe is the name. I tend to get them at some local "craft" festivals, or, at a local orchard shop that sells them. That said, the owners have said if I call, they ship as well.

This orchard sells some of their stuff all year http://redapplefarm.com/. I learned recently that you can call and they may ship. They dont have them online or anything, you would have to call and ask if they have alpaca socks available, and see if they can ship.

Regardless, I've never used a warmer sock. They are unreal!

• Sitka Gear