jsgold 10-Nov-18
ben yehuda 10-Nov-18
LUNG$HOT 10-Nov-18
BullBuster 10-Nov-18
PECO 10-Nov-18
Ken Taylor 10-Nov-18
Charlie Rehor 10-Nov-18
09-Nov-18
I found this video on YouTube. Brings back old memories and reminds me of a lot of my old setups. The guy shoots a little forward but this video shows how nasty those big Vortex 2.75" heads can be. I have killed lots of animals with the Killzone but I am starting to not tolerate the poor penetration. I am going back to one of my all time favorite heads....the 2" Vortex.

09-Nov-18
Cool! First compound was a PSE Jet Flight.

09-Nov-18
Fun

09-Nov-18
That was great. I like that guy a lot.

Maybe it's time to bust out my dads old Jennings Unistar.

09-Nov-18
Thanks for sharing kinda shocked me when he said 17 years ago he didn’t look old enough for that great video Lewis

09-Nov-18
Thanks for sharing kinda shocked me when he said 17 years ago he didn’t look old enough for that great video Lewis

09-Nov-18
Interesting. A compound shooting a mechanical head while wearing commercial camouflage clothing is old school to some people. So this means that Nirvana and Pearl Jam are now classic rock?

I agree that it's fun to look at where we've come from and it's neat that he has kept an old compound but calling this "old school" is a stretch. He should be calling it "using the best we had at the time" instead. "Old school" would be using the equipment that his father/grandfather bowhunted with when they were young.

I'd give him Kudos if he still had a Baker Portable Climbing Stand and had the guts to use it.

09-Nov-18
Kurt Cobain has been dead for 24 years...

09-Nov-18
Pearl Jam and Nirvana are 90s, that's 20+ years ago! We had some great music in high school...

09-Nov-18
elkstabber....guys shooting 5 year old bows are considered old school by many. LOL

09-Nov-18
Guess my Bamboo backed osage long bow would give them fits.

09-Nov-18
Wow, I must be getting ancient! That was way too high tech to be called “old school”!

Was hoping for at least early Fred Bear/Glen St. Charles era with a recurve...hunting from the ground in plaid wool...

True old school would be a self bow, cane arrow, chert broadheads, and brain-tanned deerskin on the ground!

09-Nov-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
First elk of the Big Eight in 1988
First elk of the Big Eight in 1988
and 11 years later, ie, 2001, the last of the Eight, the bear. Hard to believe that was 17 years ago.
and 11 years later, ie, 2001, the last of the Eight, the bear. Hard to believe that was 17 years ago.
Interesting old school. Reminds me of this. In 1988 I came to Colorado on my very first elk hunt with a Oregon Compound bow. Killed a bull that year. In 1992 I move to Colorado and over the next 11 years killed the Colorado Big Eight with that bow. The eighth and final species was a Colorado Bear and even though I had purchased a new compound bow a year before, I felt the need to use the Oregon bow for all eight species so I dug her out, cleaned her up, yep, alum, arrow with 125 gr Thunderheads. and then made sure she was right on. During bear season, I called in a black bear and killed it at 22 yards, with that Old School bow and arrows. I ended up giving that bow, arrow, case, to a youth at the CBA Banquet the following year. I still have good memories of that bow, she served me well over those 11 years. I do believe if she was in my hand today, she would be ready to rock and roll even though she might have a few gray hairs and wrinkles. . my best, Paul

09-Nov-18
Now kill one with a Longbow or a Recurve and you will be one step closer, when I shot my first deer with a Longbow it was like shooting the First Deer I ever shot 30 years earlier with my Compound. The same excitement all over again,for those that have never tried it, you should. Good video by the way.

09-Nov-18
Elkstabber…..you`re killing me...too funny.

09-Nov-18
Awesome video, really enjoyed it. Nice to watch a video of a guy just enjoying himself.

09-Nov-18

and then last week in Nebraska with the compound bow. I agree, the challenge and the satisfaction is much greater with the stick but I love hunting with both.
and then last week in Nebraska with the compound bow. I agree, the challenge and the satisfaction is much greater with the stick but I love hunting with both.
BigStriper, good points. Pictured my first deer ever with a recurve bow in 1962 and then my last deer killed with a recurve bow a few years back, 54 years later. Yea, old school still lives.

09-Nov-18
Damn it must be oldies and goldies day great pictures Paul Lewis

09-Nov-18
I thought the video and use of your old equipment was awesome and thank you for taking the time to share it. Some of these guys are probably upset that you didn't use black and white film. Not sure what defines certain items as "Old School" but many seem to think it means traditional only. I for one, can certainly appreciate that the bow you were shooting is a far cry different than what is being sold today.

On a side note, some of your equipment has proven to be so good that it is still being sold and in use today! I killed a mule deer with that same Vortex head a couple months ago and have every arrow in my quiver tipped with them today....as does my 24 year old son.

09-Nov-18
Bowfreak, Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Shot my first in 1960's. Remember it like yesterday. Not sure why guys have to be negative. The love of the sport is on display in your video. Thanks

09-Nov-18
Wasn’t being negative, just shocked at what some guys would consider “old school” these days...

09-Nov-18
At his age is was old school. It is what he started with.

I started hunting whitetails in 1974. Old school for me would be way different. Everyone will have their own perspective depending on when they started.

09-Nov-18
A couple of things....

That's not me. Just saw the video and enjoyed it.

I titled the thread old school because that's what the guy in the video said.

Lastly, I think we can all agree that old school is relative. That being said.....I didn't expect the phrase old school to generate such discussion. Lol

09-Nov-18
Bowfreak, Thanks for posting that up.I enjoyed it. The interpretation of "Old school" will vary with your graduation year.

10-Nov-18
Couple things. First thanks, Bowfreak, for sharing the video. Also, thank you to Paul@thefort for the pictures and for the perspective. Jeff

10-Nov-18
Have to grin seeing his enthusiasm and obvious love for the hunt.

10-Nov-18
Hell that stuff looks old School to this 34 year old guy! Especially compared to today’s modern compound setups. I agree, great video of a guy enjoying himself and a little nostalgia.

10-Nov-18
Cool video. Brought back lots memories.

10-Nov-18
Come on guys, the new 2019 compounds are out. The 2018 bows may not yet be old school, but they are obsolete.

10-Nov-18
I enjoyed the video.

For his age that's old school.

I guess guys our age are ancient, LOL!

Time flies... I thought Anna-Nicole Smith died about four years ago - T.V. yesterday said it's been eleven!

10-Nov-18
Yes old school is relative. I have a friend who hunts with his home made selfbow and used Scoutlook and trail cameras. Thank goodness we can each do what is fun for us.

• Sitka Gear