KHNC 28-Mar-19
Babine Guide 30-Mar-19
Goat Guide 30-Mar-19
Huntcell 31-Mar-19
Boreal 31-Mar-19
09-Nov-18

Babine Guide's embedded Photo
It's starting to get to that time of year again. We're just finishing up our last moose hunt and starting to think about getting ready for the trapline. Yesterday I made up about 50 wolf and started to get some baits out . One of the moose clients this trip wanted to get a lynx and we ended up getting this big Tom out on the trapline with him yesterday. There is a lot of lynx this year again. Our first client arrives on Dec. 13th and we will go till the end of February. We had a client pass away who was booked in for Jan. 20th and also one who was booked in for Jan. 8th who had to move the trip to the following year due to a school schedule change. So we now have a couple spots open for this winter. The trips are 6 days and cost $7500 Canadian plus tax, tags and licenses. The trip includes 2 wolves, and 1 of each other species caught or shot during the trip. Feel free the PM me or call 1-250-697-6249 if you're interested.

09-Nov-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

09-Nov-18
Cool... Always look forward to this annual thread... Thanks...

09-Nov-18
Love this thread every year,great pics.

09-Nov-18
Can't wait to follow along again this year. Always one of the best!!

24-Nov-18

Goat Guide's embedded Photo
Started collecting lots of bait and preparing traps for the first trip in the middle of December but it is still very warm and hardly any snow. We still even have a boat in the water with no sign of freezing on the lake so far.

25-Nov-18
how was the moose season this year

25-Nov-18
Thanks for the up date

25-Nov-18
I can’t even imagine the smell coming from that trailer. But I love this thread.

25-Nov-18
I’m going to do this trip someday Jack and Lloyd...If my January wasn’t already booked, I would’ve already called! ;)

25-Nov-18
Curious - Those round things, are those guts?

26-Nov-18
You got a lotta guts hunting them thar predators... ;)

26-Nov-18
The moose season went good this year. At the end it slowed down because we didn't get any snow. We will collect 2 times the amount of bait that's on that trailer every week till about the middle of January. Then the bait needs will slow up to a truck load or 2 a week.

26-Nov-18
So those are moose guts?

26-Nov-18

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Best..............trip............ever

26-Nov-18
This trip looks like so much fun every year! Really looking forward to following along. Stay safe and best of luck to you and your hunters again this winter!

26-Nov-18

dickbird's embedded Photo
Did it several years ago, great trip. These guys are the real deal.

27-Nov-18
Your mounts really turned out good Richard, those are cow guts.

27-Nov-18
Your mounts really turned out good Richard, those are cow guts.

27-Nov-18
Taxidermist did an excellent job on your wolves dickbird. Rock50, great scenery. Awesome thread.

27-Nov-18
Always a great thread! Where do you guys get your offal, etc., for your baits? Mostly roadkill?

27-Nov-18
Thanks Babine Guide...

t-roy - I suspect from the slaughter house...8^)

06-Dec-18
Waiting............ :-)

06-Dec-18
I don`t think people realize how much work handling a barrel full of guts is. The weight alone is massive. You certainly aren`t afraid of hard work.

06-Dec-18
this is always a great thread and well done in that you don't show live animals trapped before being shot.

06-Dec-18
I love running my little line in North Dakota, that trip would be a dream come true!

16-Dec-18

a batch of snares boiled and ready to set.
a batch of snares boiled and ready to set.
The first trip is well underway. It has had some challenges so far. It has been warm and no snow. The winter was about a month late in getting started. It has finally come though. This is the first time that I can remember that the lake wasn't frozen by the middle of December. We're a couple days into the trip and have caught 4 species so far. We spent last night in one of the cabins waiting to see if any wolves would come in, we only seen a coyote. We decided to pass on it hoping that a wolf would come by.

16-Dec-18

The first animal on the trip. A marten
The first animal on the trip. A marten

16-Dec-18

16-Dec-18

16-Dec-18

16-Dec-18

last snare that we checked today
last snare that we checked today

17-Dec-18
Here we go!

A Bowsite Classic for sure!!!

Mark

17-Dec-18
My favorite thread.

18-Dec-18
Today not a lot happened. We got a bunch of marten and a weasel. We seen some new wolf sign in one of the areas so we set up a bunch of snares there. Tomorrow we're going to stay out at one of the outpost cabins.

19-Dec-18

We had a little excitement at the cabin. When we got there, there was wolf tracks all over and they were howling down the lake. It sounded like about 5 wolves or so. In the morning when it got light the wolves weren't around. At 9 a single wolf popped out on the lake shore about 500 yards down. It started to come towards us and it lied down 400 yards away. After about 10 minutes it got up and started towards us. At 300 yards it stopped, if it turns right we have a clear shot. It turned left and went up into the trees. On the drive home we seen a lynx at the end of a long straight stretch. We got to about 50 yard of where it went off the road and we set up an electronic call. After about 15 minutes the lynx popped out in front of us at 30 yards. Tony shot the big tom with a 17 and it only went about 15 yard. We checked a couple more lynx sets on the way home and got another big lynx.

19-Dec-18

20-Dec-18
AWESOME!

20-Dec-18

Today was Tony's last day and we'll be heading to the airport in the morning. Last night Tony said it sure would be nice to catch a fisher or wolverine tomorrow to end the trip.

20-Dec-18

We also got this big coyote in one of our wolf snares

20-Dec-18
That’s either a HUGE coyote or a little guy! Great stuff as always Jack and Lloyd.

28-Dec-18

We have new guy that came in last night and started today. Jack is doing this trip before he goes to the Dallas show. They aren't doing any hunting this trip, just trapping. Today they got a lynx, marten and weasel. They also set out more lynx sets, put out more wolf snares and a couple leg holds.

28-Dec-18

28-Dec-18
What an exciting adventure. Keep the reports coming.

28-Dec-18

Jen and I stayed the cabin for Christmas this was the wolf tracks on the bait in the morning. It looks good for hunting there next hunt.

28-Dec-18

28-Dec-18
Is it legal to shoot wolves with an artificial light at night? Can you shoot them at night under moonlit conditions?

Like others have said, one of the best threads on here. Looking forward to upcoming weeks!

29-Dec-18
Supporting trapping to control predators should be in every hunters best interest. Trappers and predator hunters need access, good move by private landowners to let them in and support their efforts.

30-Dec-18

Yesterday was a slow day with nothing in the traps. We just had a big dump of snow and it covered up all our snares. Today was much better day with a weasel, marten, coyote and a nice lynx. So far we have not seen any sign of wolves thou.

30-Dec-18

A nice pic of todays lynx

31-Dec-18
Very kool Thread as Always!!

One of these years, I wanna come Up and do this!!

Good luck, Robb

31-Dec-18
Wolfs are wising up, to dangerous to live next to the Babine clan, wolfs are heading south accross the border for refuge status.

02-Jan-19

The internet and phones have been down for 3 days which why no updates, but for the first two of those days this was all that happened. 1 Weasel, no tracks and warm wet weather. We spent some extra time putting up a last minute wolf station in a different area to try and make something happen but it will only have a 2 day soak before we check it.

02-Jan-19

Today started out better with the very first trap having this nice marten.

02-Jan-19

We checked another wolf station and had no luck but then had a great surprise with this fisher. For us catching a fisher is very rare.

02-Jan-19

After checking some more sets after the fisher we had no luck or even much sign of movement and on our drive back to the lodge while settling on the marten and fisher for the day a lynx ran across the road and we managed to take him with the 17 rimfire. Tomorrow is the last day and the last chance to hopefully ad another species to the trip.

06-Jan-19
Sorry for the late update, we tried our best to get that darn wolf but just could not make it happen on this trip. We did get a couple of marten and weasel on the last day but still very little sign of wolf on the trapline. We did see lots of tracks at a bait station were we will be hunting thou off the trapline. We will be starting a couple new snare stations as the lakes start to freeze giving us access. Hunting wolves can be hard because it is illegal to hunt at night and most of the time that is when they come in.

08-Jan-19

Conrad showed up yesterday and we're going to mainly concentrate on getting a couple wolves. Maybe try calling in a lynx too. This morning he shot a coyote on the bait from the lodge window. Tonight we'll stay out at one of the cabins.

09-Jan-19
We didn't have any luck at the cabin. Just as we were leaving we heard a wolf howling about a mile down the lake. We left all the bait that we brought with us and plan on staying there again over the weekend. We did get a black wolf in a snare on the way back to the lodge today though.

10-Jan-19

Hopefully Lloyd is having a better day than me, found a soft spot out in the middle of the lake.

10-Jan-19

I ran 400 yards of rope to the machine and after tying it up she finished breaking through. Skandik super wide track for sale with a little water damage CHEAP!!!!. Probably will not be available for pick up till spring. The seat is available thou.

10-Jan-19
My biggest FEAR!!!!

10-Jan-19
That'll get your attention. Glad (hope) you weren't alone and had to walk out.

10-Jan-19
Dang Jack!

10-Jan-19

We went to one of the other cabins today and found that a couple wolves were hitting that bait. We set out some snares and plan on hopefully going back there Saturday night. Tomorrow night we're going to spend at the cabin we were at the first night that had all the wolf sign. This is Conrads 4th wolf hunt/trapping trip and this is the first Fisher he's caught. This big male with make a great mount.

11-Jan-19
great pictures ! sorry about snow-machine. thanks for posting pictures.Pete53

17-Jan-19

Sorry guys, I got busy and forgot to update the last few days of the trip.

17-Jan-19

When we seen 7 wolves on the lake but the closest they got was 600 yards. We watched them most of the day and kept thinking they were going to come in closer. In hind sight we should have walked closer and tried to howl them in.

17-Jan-19

17-Jan-19

21-Jan-19
I don't think we have as many wolves as 5 years ago. We probably have the same number of packs but the pack size seems to be around 7 dogs where before the packs were probably averaging 12 wolves. A lot of the reason for not getting wolves this year is because of conditions. The lakes are now just freezing good and the wolves will start using them as a travel route. My last trip out I seem more wolf sign then anytime before this year.

21-Jan-19

I picked up Bill at the airport the other day and we went straight out to one of the cabins. There wasn't any fresh wolf tracks there, maybe a couple wolves were there a couple days prior. Nothing in the snares that first day, just a weasel in a marten trap.

21-Jan-19

We spent the next night at a different cabin. Thing were looking up. We caught 5 coyotes, a marten and a weasel on the way to the other cabin.

21-Jan-19

one of the coyotes was caught in a 330 that was set for wolverine

21-Jan-19

This coyote a wolverine got to it before we did.

21-Jan-19
Now that is something. I think unheard of. Have you ever caught a coyote in a body grip before?

21-Jan-19

There was lots of wolf sign at the second cabin but none can in while we were there. There was 4 coyotes that came in but we didn't shoot just in case the wolves were just around the corner. We were able to snag this wolf in a snare station on the way home today.

21-Jan-19

I think that's the 3rd coyote that we have caught in a body gripping trap. It seems like we get a fox or 2 every year in them though.

23-Jan-19

this marten is hanging around in the parking lot on the bait pile

24-Jan-19

We got the wolverine before he could eat anymore of our furs

24-Jan-19

This guy is built like a fall bear

24-Jan-19
The wolverine that is

24-Jan-19

We called this lynx in with the Lucky Duck call. It walked right beside the truck to get to it.

25-Jan-19

I dropped Bill off at the airport tonight and on the way to town we decided to check a few sets. We snagged this nice lynx and another weasel.

29-Jan-19

Today was Jeff's first day and it was pretty good start. He got a shot at a coyote first thing this morning and we were able to trap a couple lynx and weasels. We also made a trip to town and got another load of bait. We plan on spending tomorrow night out at one of the other camps.

29-Jan-19

29-Jan-19

30-Jan-19
We didn't make it to the other cabin. On the way over we caught another lynx, a coyote and a wolf. The coyote and wolf weren't frozen so we came back and took care of them. We try to make it other to the other camp tomorrow.

30-Jan-19

30-Jan-19
The size comparison there of a good sized Coyote, and an equally good sized Wolf is pretty cool. Amazing difference in the size of the Wolfs head and feet compared to his smaller cousin.

30-Jan-19
So cool! Need to bring my boy up there in a couple years!

31-Jan-19

The one thing that Jeff said to me before he came up was that he wanted to try to get was a ptarmigan to mount with a lynx. This one flew in front of the truck on the home today and landed about 30 yards off the road. He took it with a 28 gauge.

03-Feb-19

one of the outpost cabins that we stayed at the last night of Bills trip
one of the outpost cabins that we stayed at the last night of Bills trip
The last couple days Jeff and I had to fix all the sets. We had big dump of snow, strong winds and it got to -33 F this morning. We needed the cold to tighten up the ice. (maybe not quite that cold though.) We did get another lynx and coyote while going out and fixing the sets.

06-Feb-19

Yesterday was Charlie and Jay's first day and things were a little slow, we caught 1 weasel and had a wolverine visit one set with no luck.

06-Feb-19

Today went so much better with 2 wolves and a lynx. We saw much more wolf sign today than I have seen for a long time and expect that we will catch more soon. This one here is going to make a great life size mount.

08-Feb-19

A slow couple days with 2 marten and 1 weasel. Saw some wolverine sign and set some more traps hoping to catch him.

12-Feb-19

We had some movement with wolverine and a wolf through some wolf stations but we finished up the with another lynx. We are hoping to access another part of the trapline during the next trip if the ice is thick enough.

15-Feb-19

Started a new trip yesterday and had some luck with a weasel and a dandy coyote.

15-Feb-19

A happy family with one of the two lynx we caught today. We are very grateful for these cats because today was the last day of lynx season.

16-Feb-19

Today was an awesome day with a marten and this big male wolverine!!!!!! Things are starting to wind down and we are pulling many of our sets.

17-Feb-19
Great pics,thanks! Love the 'paw' shot of the Wolverine.

17-Feb-19

today was the day

17-Feb-19

17-Feb-19

even got it started after changing the oils and drying all the wiring connections

18-Feb-19
Who was the "lucky soul" that had to go into the water to hook up the snowmobile before you could winch it out?

19-Feb-19

21-Feb-19

Medicineman we were lucky to have gotten a rope tied to the machine before it broke through all the way and then just waited for the ice to thicken up. I dropped off the last trapline clients at the airport and what a great finish they had with this big male wolf. We will still be going after wolves until the end of March and will keep you posted.

22-Feb-19
Is this year a little slower than the past?

23-Feb-19
Awesome thread, glad you were able to rescue the Skandic!! Those wolverines, sooo fat!!

10-Mar-19

It has been a little slower this year for the wolves, still lots of lynx and coyotes though. Today was a good day, we got 2 wolves and 2 more coyotes.

10-Mar-19

11-Mar-19
Congrats on another incredible year guys!!

Thanks for taking us along!

Mark

22-Mar-19

I took the father in law down to the new wolf blind we built and had some luck.

28-Mar-19

The kids also got a couple fish for dinner on our last day out on the line
The kids also got a couple fish for dinner on our last day out on the line
The last couple days I pulled the rest of the wolf snares and had a pretty good last day getting 3 more wolves and a coyote.

28-Mar-19
Thanks for taking us along!

28-Mar-19
Is it much of a hassle to get the wolf skins back to the US?

30-Mar-19
Getting wolf skins back into the US isn't too much of a hassle but you do need to have a Cities permit and that can take up too a couple months to come in.

30-Mar-19

My daughter with her first coyote she just shot out on some bait on the lake. The 2 dogs are new Karelian bear dogs that are 9 months old and start training with Bart Lancaster next month. We are also going to use them for Lynx hunting. The dogs will be a great help this spring as we expect to harvest about 55 bears with clients but I am still surprised that not a single person from bowsite has ever booked a hunt with us for spring black bear.

31-Mar-19
I did a wolf hunt in Ontario this past Jan. Stopped in at office in Dryden the day after I shot the wolf and got Cities permit and went accross the border at International Falls the next day with the wolf skin and skull and permit. No waiting period for getting Cities permit at all.

Why would there be a waiting period in your area?

31-Mar-19
Great thread! What do you think you'll get for wolf hides this year? Are you spring bear hunts only dog hunts or spot and stalk also? Are wolves still in season during spring bear?

• Sitka Gear