Bill in MI 26-Jan-22
APauls 26-Jan-22
Tilzbow 26-Jan-22
Matte 28-Jan-22
DanaC 28-Jan-22
Woods Walker 28-Jan-22
DanaC 28-Jan-22
09-Nov-18
I have been buying Kuiu gear since their start. Placed an order this morning and got charged sales tax for the first time. I also ordered in October with no tax , so I guess it’s a new law or something oh well, I’ll just be a little more selective on my needs and wants in the future.

I also have a no shipping charge that comes when you spend 1000 which adds up fast , the $ 9.95 I save on shipping doesn’t look so great anymore when a $12.95 shipping charge.

Not sure about other states? I’m in Tennessee.

09-Nov-18
I think there will soon be sales tax charged on all online purchases for all retailers, due to new laws.

09-Nov-18
Check your new tax laws, Kuiu doesn't control those...

09-Nov-18
I'm all for lower taxes but it isnt fair that a local shop has to charge it but online retailers dont.

09-Nov-18
I agree with mn_archer completely. On the other hand, it feels I'm like saying "This seller has to poke me in the eye, so it's only fair that all sellers should poke me in the eye". I'd love to see sales tax collected from online sales, and have it result in a lowered sales tax rate everywhere. Wish in one hand.....

09-Nov-18
I wish the ONLY taxes we had to pay were consumption taxes. Would be the fairest and simplest system in the world.

09-Nov-18
Yes as a CPA this will be a normal for all states soon.

09-Nov-18
If you think it's bad for consumers, think of the sellers ... they have to deal with tax laws in 50 states now, all of which vary slightly and have reporting requirements. That's something a KUIU-sized company can absorb ... but not the small mom-and-pop shop selling online ... it really keeps them out of the market. IMO, this is bad for our country and consumers -- and decreases choices by keeping smaller retailers out of the market.

09-Nov-18
Deertick nailed it...

09-Nov-18
"Free shipping when you spend $1000"....that's a pair of pants and a t-shirt...lol. When you are blowing a grand on hunting clothes I think you can swing $13 for shipping. They must really think their customers are dense...."buy this new truck and get a FREE coffee cup".

09-Nov-18
It adds up fast Franklin. They sell solids to and lots of their stuff I can wear when not hunting. You are right about a bunch of money though that's why I said I will watch my spending with them in the future.. I drive an 05 truck and want be buying one of them anytime soon either. Things are changing in the online sales world for sure.

09-Nov-18
Hey, I got a "free" coffee cup with a truck I bought once! Still have the cup, not the truck;)

09-Nov-18

09-Nov-18
I think it applies if they have physical presence in your state.

09-Nov-18
America, the largest corporate government partnership in the history of mankind.

09-Nov-18
I ran a small business and had to keep track of two States sales tax for online orders. A state can also have different rates in different districts as well and they change constantly. Some states are monthly, some quarterly based on gross sales.

No way a little business can cope without some automation.

09-Nov-18
After calling Kuiu today apparently a new law ( Supreme Court) went into effect on the first of November and 24 states were picked up to pay sales tax and Tennessee is one of those, he also said all states will be paying sales tax soon on Kuiu gear.

09-Nov-18
Oregon doesn't have sales tax.

09-Nov-18
Glunt ... I may be pessimistic ... but I am pretty sure the idea is to keep small businesses out of business. Big businesses are generally in favor of these laws. One wonders why, since it increases their costs ... but then you see ... it destroys their competition, and protects their market. No wonder the really big businesses are in deep with the politicians.

09-Nov-18
DeerTick ..John, your spot on. Industry has been lobbying this in key states for the last decade. Follow the money and its leads back to our corporate government partnerships.

09-Nov-18
Southern Draw is correct. You will be noticing this on most online purchases now.

09-Nov-18
And I am sure that everyone will be getting their state taxes reduced when the states get this windfall of revenue.

09-Nov-18
I just bought my wife one of their solid jackets for her birthday and received free shipping but, had to pay taxes on it. I've had to pay taxes on everything I have ever bought from them.

10-Nov-18
Pretty sure all of you who also live in states where you would have had pay a sales tax at the local store, also are legally liable to pay the same tax on your online purchases if they are not paid by the seller at time of sale.

The only thing that has changed with the "new law" is the requirement for more retailers to CHARGE the tax at the time of purchase. You were liable (even if not likely) to pay it before. If you chose to be a tax evader before, that "new law" is surely bad news, but if you were among the 2% or so who actually kept track of the out-of-state sales taxes you owed and paid them at the end of the year when you were supposed to to stay legal, the change just simplified your bookkeeping.

You guys didn't REALLY think that stuff was "tax-free", now , did you?

10-Nov-18
You guys can thank the state of SD for suing Amazon and taking it all the way to the Supreme Court for this new ruling.

10-Nov-18
Lol South Dakota. Are they still a state?

25-Jan-22
I live in Canada right near the forest, so I often hunt. And as many people know, real hunters wear the Kuiu brand. If you are so confused by taxes on their brand, then before ordering, contact the seller and check with him all the features. You can also search the site to determine if this online store has taxes and which ones. To do this, look at the phrase "sales tax" or VAT. It can be found in any tabs or questions and answers. Also, the site search engine helps in some cases, where this word is driven in. But I usually don't bother sellers because I find all the information in my paystubs. https://www.paystubcreator.net/

25-Jan-22
Re Kevin - "I'd love to see sales tax collected from online sales, and have it result in a lowered sales tax rate everywhere. Wish in one hand..... "

Be careful what you wish for! You're very likely to get the first half of that, but the second? Slim/fat chance!

25-Jan-22
Brandon said several years ago that paying taxes was just part of being a good America! Let's go Brandon !!

25-Jan-22
MA started this a year or two ago. What we also did was tell EBay to notify the state when someone sold $600 or more on the site. So even if I sell used items on EBay I get a letter in the mail saying I basically owe the state taxes on my “made” income unreal.

25-Jan-22
I got tax form last year from PayPal for items sold on eBay. Also Facebook now keeping track (tax) of junk you sell on marketplace.

26-Jan-22
eBay definitely not what it was a few years ago.

26-Jan-22
Taxes, taxes, taxes. Your mind will be blown when you really look into just how much tax is paid. In NYS alone, to park in a parking garage you pay a whopping 18.375%. 8% parking tax, 4% NYS tax, 6% NYC tax, and .375% commuter tax. Look deeper and you will never look at your tax return the same ever again.

Here's another one, regarding electric vehicles. So everyone is crying about climate change, and the NEED to get away from fossil fuel and reduce the carbon foot print. All well and good, whatever you want to believe. So a lot of folks go out and buy hybrid or EV cars. Not buying a lot of gas though. So the states are not collecting as much revenue in gas taxes. Well, they want their money, so they are passing new "surcharge" laws across the country to compensate for that loss of gas tax revenue. This surcharge will be assessed when your vehicle goes in for it's inspection. It will be a per-mile fee that will be determined by subtracting your vehicle's last mileage from the current mileage. Enjoy!

26-Jan-22
Think about it this way. Every answer to any issue that arises seems to result in a tax today. What is going on. My effective tax rate is around 25 percent. That means that I work for 3 months January February and March just to pay the Federal government tax rate. My state tax rate is 5 percent which the next 3 weeks of April I work for my state. Social Security wants 21 days of your earnings on average. So now this brings me into May. Add sales tax and property tax up and I work another month for these taxes. Then throw in vehicle tax, gasoline tax etc. Conclusion... This means that every day you wake up for 5 to 6 months you give 100 percent of those earnings away for some type of tax. Your complete earnings from hard work are gone. Beginning in June you get to pay your bills. Somewhere in November or December you can actually begin to save money then here comes Christmas. It is redicoulous how anyone can understand how a tax is the answer. Just my thoughts. Save money...Live humbly!

26-Jan-22
For 2022 eBay will be sending sellers 1099-K forms when you sell $600 or more and you’ll have to report that as income. Last year it was $20,000. This isn’t an eBay move nor is the KUIU tax their preference. Both orgs, and many more elsewhere, now have to track sales and file tax forms with the gov’t adding expense on their side and they’ll surely pass those costs on to customers.

Don’t blame them, blame the fools who placed democrats in power in 2020 and much earlier in California.

26-Jan-22
The problem I have with that is I’m selling a used item I already paid taxes on so what now I have to pay taxes again like I made a profit?

26-Jan-22
Exactly, and thanks to the current administration, which passed the $600 threshold 2 weeks ago, ANY transaction of $600 or more MUST be reported to the IRS. This is just the latest of a long list of "tax" thefts by the DEMONcrats. And believe me, the RINOs are no better. But most tax creations are from the left.

When Hillary was a NYS Senator, she pushed for and got an intra-state tax on dairy farms. That is, anytime milk leaves the farm, and makes a stop, within NYS, a tax is added on.

And remember Carlos Danger, aka Anthony Weiner. He pushed really hard a ridiculous death tax for farms. After the matriarch or patriarch dies, the surviving heirs would have to pay the equivalent taxes not just on the farmland, but the structures, livestock, machinery, etc... Even though, as was stated above, taxes were already paid on everything when they were purchased, he argued: "not by them". That was his justification.

26-Jan-22
As having a mostly in-person small business in IN, I don't have to collect and distribute sales tax to states where I mail clients jewelry as long as my cumulative gross sales to people in those states remain below a $$ threshold. I imagine Kuiu exceeds those various thresholds. And yes...the absolute mess of my internal software needing to deal with the nuances of every state's tax code is utter BS. This is coming and the government will say 'deal with it and absorb whatever cost that tech/software upgrade comes with....'

26-Jan-22
If a small business ventures into the online world and is capable of having an online website/shop it isn't very difficult to automate sales taxes....should take a programmer all of an hour.

When people value service the small guys will rise again. Every business has to have a competitive advantage to survive. You can't start selling housewares and groceries based on price and cry about big business and the Walmarts of the world when it doesn't work out for you. If there's no reason for people to want your service/product you will die.

26-Jan-22
To add to my earlier post about eBay, I failed to mention if you can “prove” the original cost of the items you sold was more than you received from the eBay sale your tax should be zero. Prove is in quotes because you merely have to itemize the items and their original cost vs eBay sales price BUT if you get audited then you might have to produce original receipts or some other proof of what the item cost new. I’m not an accountant so take the above for what it worth…. Makes me happy that I sold most of my used gear in December. I sold a bunch of idle equipment quickly except for the four packs of new 125 grain Ulmer Edge broadheads no one seems to want.

28-Jan-22
I owned and ran retail stores for 20 years. If i have yo charge tax so should you. Unfair advantage online vs brick and mortar. Another one coming down the line will be "Free Shipping". Big companies have used that to lower their tax bills as a cost of doing business. That is not a cost of doing business that is a consumption cost by the consumer.

28-Jan-22
If you shop on ebay you can sort search results by 'price + shipping, lowest first.' Often the 'free shipping' items are total-priced higher than the ones they charge you shipping for. TANSTAAFL

28-Jan-22
The only way the government (state/local/federal) can give away "FREE" stuff, is to charge someone else for it. N O T H I N G is "free"!

28-Jan-22
Exactly. Print more money, inflation rises. A 'hidden' tax that's been known - and levied - for centuries.

• Sitka Gear