Stryker 12-Nov-18
Jethro 12-Nov-18
midwest 12-Nov-18
Hunting5555 12-Nov-18
Junior 12-Nov-18
LKH 12-Nov-18
NEIAbowhunter 12-Nov-18
12-Nov-18
Upgraded grinder this year and went with the 1 3/4 horse from Cabelas. Was very disappointed with performance grinding burger. Was grinding burger from a steer that I had slaughtered and it was fine on the initial grind with large plate but couldn’t hardly get it to run back through on second grind with smaller plate. It kept plugging up in auger and would not move through plate. I did not add any extra suet to the meat and meat was cooled very well. Any suggestions or has anyone else ran into this problem.

12-Nov-18
I bought a new Cabelas 3/4 horse carnivore series last year and thought it did great on both 1st grind and smaller grind. Way, way faster than my older grinder. My meat was partially frozen yet which does help.

12-Nov-18
A 1.75 hp grinder with a neck that size should be able to handle any you throw at it. Other then a mechanical motor issue the main cause of what your saying comes from two causes. First the plate cover isn't tight enough. You have to really crank down on it. Second either a dull plate or knife blade or a missing knife blade. I have seen guys try to run second grinds though without a blade. No good. Dulled up blades and plates will gum up.

12-Nov-18
I've had the 22 neck, 1 hp for about 15 years. I picked up a third plate between the small and large size that came with grinder. I also found the plates have to be perfectly flat and the blade sharp. Now I have better luck with the small size. I also like the meat to be slightly frozen while grinding.

12-Nov-18
Some grinders you can put the blade in backwards. It will clog terribly. No experience with the cabelas model.

12-Nov-18
I've had my LEM for a long time. She keeps on grinding and stuffing. I've never sharpened the blade and probably due for it. Youtube has some good vids on how to sharpen the blades and smooth out the plates.

12-Nov-18
I have had the cabelas 1/2 hp pro model for 3 years and have always been pleased with the grinding with both the coarse and fine plates. Couldn't ask for a better grinder.

12-Nov-18
I agree, I think it's either a faulty unit or you reassembled it slightly incorrectly the second time. Mine is a beast, it amazes me every time I use it whether it's a beef or a wild critter.

12-Nov-18
I have the Cabelas 1.5 hp and can't imagine stopping it! I think you could almost throw the whole steer in there and grind it! lol Seriously, this grinder is a beast and grinds faster than I can feed it.

12-Nov-18
You have something jazzed up....that grinder will chew up pop cans.

12-Nov-18
I have a cabelas 1 3/4 also

The fine blade it came with was way too fine. I bought a courser one and have ran thousands of pounds through it since with no problem.

12-Nov-18
We had to shim the blade with a washer on one of ours. This was brand new grinder. The blade has to be snug against the screen plate.

12-Nov-18
I’ve cranked the wheel as tight as I can as that was my first thought but did not change outcome. I own the 3/4 horse and have used it for years but wanted something a little bigger. Not sure what the issue is. Can’t find anything put together incorrectly. I agree this thing should eat a whole steer. Thanks for the suggestions

12-Nov-18
I'm at work, so I don't have my grinder close by. Doesn't it say NOT to overtighten the front ring? Maybe that is the problem.

12-Nov-18
Stryker, See Junior's post. That would be my guess what your problem is.

12-Nov-18
My experience has been like everybody else..... #22 Cabela's grinder. 1st grind is course and 2nd grind with fine plate. It runs through with no problems. When a container gets full on the 1st grind, we put it in the freezer while we grind the rest. Usually the top layer will be slightly frozen when we start the second grind.

12-Nov-18
Ours problem was diagnosed by a butcher with lots of experience thank god. Nothing worse than being in the middle of a grind when problems arise. Something else we learned is we dont change screens no more on second grind. Try a burger twice ground with same screen and see for yourself.

12-Nov-18
I use a small hardwood block and a rubber mallet to tighten my grinder. Same for opening it after the grind. As far as I'm concerned you can't get it too tight.

12-Nov-18
I have the 1 HP model. I've been super impressed the past few years since I bought it. I have learned that partially frozen meat works best but have always struggled trying to grind it a second time through the fine plate. It just doesn't have anything to "grab" and push through. I know if I went really slow and didn't overload the grinder with once ground meat it would work ok but take forever. I've gone to just chunking the meat up a little bit smaller and running it through the fine plate right off the get go with no issues.

• Sitka Gear