c3 13-Nov-18
APauls 13-Nov-18
Treeline 13-Nov-18
12-Nov-18

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
My daughter shot her first elk Saturday. Just pulled this broadhead out of the shoulder blade. Looks like it has been there a while and it’s and old bull. G5? One of the newer slick tricks?

12-Nov-18
Looks like a Wac-Em fixed 3 blade.

12-Nov-18
Scratch that, it's a G5 striker for sure! I was 50/50 on which one until I looked closer.

12-Nov-18
G5 striker

12-Nov-18
G5 striker

12-Nov-18
G5 Striker

12-Nov-18
Must have been a mechanical if it didn’t go through.

12-Nov-18
Where in the blade? I'm shocked that a compound didn't penetrate through the blade. Wonder if it was a light poundage or light arrow. Kind of a cool find.

12-Nov-18
ditto Ambush

;-)

12-Nov-18
Definitely wasn’t expecting to find it. Hide was fine over it. Just never know and be careful working on them!

12-Nov-18
And a large collective "shucks" was heard from the fixed blade aficionados. LOL.

Just poking you guys!!!

12-Nov-18
That’s why I shoot a 555 grain 2 blade German kinetic at 277fps at 82lbs. Cracks me up when people say “nobody needs to shoot more than 70lbs.”

12-Nov-18
Nice find yzf-88. The bottom edge of the scapula is over 3/4" thick and there is no compound bow in the world that will go through it on an elk. If you find a montec in that bottom edge of a true giant 6x7 in Wyoming, I'm pretty sure it might be mine :(

Congrats to your daughter !!!

Cheers, Pete

12-Nov-18
C3 maybe there’s a part of the shoulder blade that a Broadhead can’t penetrate but I put one through an elk hard quartering away and still had enough juice to penetrate the off side shoulder.

13-Nov-18
No doubt John. The center of the blade is thin, but the rib down the 1/3rd and the bottom edge very big bones and stop arrows like a steel plate.

I tired to be cute on a 26 yard shot and tuck one right in the v corner of the shoulder blade and leg bone that angles back. Whacked the bottom edge of the scapula and embedded perfectly about 2" high of a heart shot. That arrow was a new appendage of that bull permanently. I filmed him on private land lounging with 8 cows the day before rifle season a month and a half later. The arrow was gone, but I'll guaranty that bh was still embedded in that bone.

In any case this issue has absolutely nothing to do with bh choice, but simply the excruciating pain of missing by an inch.

Cheers, Pete

13-Nov-18
Ouch that hurts Pete! I feel for ya buddy!

13-Nov-18
Have found a surprising number of broadheads in elk over the years. Also a few bullets. They are definitely amazingly tough animals.

Over the years have seen a number of broadhead/arrow fails on elk. It definitely helps to have a heavier arrow with a solid broadhead up front.

It sounds like UCS is using a pretty solid setup.

Get that arrow mass up about 50 to 100 more grains, tuned to the bow, and use a good solid single bevel and there would be no question that arrow would break through the heaviest bones on an elk and penetrate through enough to get into the vitals.

• Sitka Gear