snapcrackpop 13-Nov-18
Newhunter1 13-Nov-18
DEC 13-Nov-18
Newhunter1 13-Nov-18
DEC 13-Nov-18
painless 13-Nov-18
Tracker 13-Nov-18
13-Nov-18
Which specific make and model RC Harness do you like the best for hunting?

What do you like (or dislike) about the make/model you have over other RC harnesses?

13-Nov-18
Look at the petzl's

13-Nov-18
I have two of the Black Diamond Vario Speed Harness setups each with a 75cm Beal Dynaclip and carabiner. Been running this setup for the past 5 seasons and love it.

13-Nov-18
BD vario speed Harness as well, no issues no complaints.

13-Nov-18
BD Alpine Bod. No complaints, but the only thing I have to compare to is full body harnesses and I hated them.

13-Nov-18
What else do you need to attach yourself to the tree? Is there a way to attach like a lineman's belt for hanging a stand and sticks? TIA

13-Nov-18
Can someone please describe what ALL is needed for RC system. I’m not familiar at all with harness like this. I too hate the HSS style harnesses.

13-Nov-18
So I have been hunting out of the RC harness setup for the past 5 years or so. To answer midwest and BC173's questions ... I am sure others want to know too ... there is no set in stone system and it can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. I try to keep my setup simple.

I run the above RC harnes and the Beal Dynaclip. The Dyanclip is basically a tether lead that has deceleration built into it to take the edge off of the sudden jerk if you would fall. It is simply looped through the front loop on the harness. It comes with instructions to show you how, but pretty basic. At the other end is a good climbing rated carabiner. I actually use one from an old Summit SOP harness. From there on MOST of my stands, I simply stay clipped to the prusik that is on my static safety line that goes from ground to above my stand. I do have a couple of stands because of the way the tree is, that I have to unclip from the static safety line and then clip to a different rope/prusik that I wrap around a branch or the tree, this rope is just a like Summit uses, about 8' long total with a prusik. I try to avoid having to unclip and reclip but in some instances it just is tough to avoid. Overall a very simple setup.

Regarding a linesman's setup, my harness isn't setup for this. You can kind of make it work with an 8' rope and prusik by anchoring to the front loop on the harness, go around the tree, and clip back to the front loop. But it isn't as stable as a linesman setup clipped off at each hip. About the only time I truly need a linesman setup is when I am hanging a brand new set which for me is before seasons start. So then I use a traditional body harness with linesman points on the hips.

For hunting, I love the RC setup. The tether never gets in the way because it is a waist level. It is comfortable too. I did fall one time while wearing it while I was re-hanging a double hang on set and it was no big deal. It caught me right away, kept me upright, and was comfortable. Very easy to recover from too because it keeps you facing the tree, rather than away from the tree like a rear connecting harness does.

Like anything, do your homework and use what you are comfortable with. There are pros and cons to every setup.

13-Nov-18

elkstabber's Link
I use this harness by Petzl. To the eye in the center I have a 24" heavy duty lanyard made of 1/2" climbing rope. The loose end of the lanyard has a loop with a carabiner.

13-Nov-18

elkstabber's Link
This is the carabiner. It has to be a real one meant for climbing and not a light duty one. Because it is shiny aluminum I painted mine with the vinyl plastic that is used to dip tool handles into.

13-Nov-18
For a climber you need the harness and an 8' safety rope with a prusik knot that slides, attach with a CLIMBING carabiner.

For a ladder stand you would need a 20' or so "life line" with sliding prusik. It would be helpful to have about a 20" tether between the life line and the RC harness.

For a hang-on you need a lineman's configuration. The 8" safety rope & carabiners (or better yet, 2 to go around branches) and figure out how to attach it to the RC in the center clip or on the sides. Then clip into a safety rope in the stand. (never unclip transfering from the ladder to the stand)

13-Nov-18
DEC,

How does the BEAL Dynaclip work or work as a deceleration unit? Interested in keeping myself safe. I already switched to the RC harness.

13-Nov-18

DEC's Link
Newhunter1 ... It has to do with the material it is made out of. It is considered a "dynamic rope" type of material. When I say deceleration, what I mean is that it is simply designed so that it takes the edge off of the shock if you would fall. It is made for climbers to tie off with in the event that they slip and fall.

13-Nov-18
DEC,

I went and looked it up and watched it do a test. It has a lot of give in it and I think I'll go ahead and get one for myself.

13-Nov-18

DEC's Link

I need to do an updated video on my setup. Here is an old one ... please note ... I try NOT to do what I did in this video and that is unclip and re-clip. In this stand I didn't need to do this but I did it anyway. Most of the time in most of my stands I stay connected to the static life line. I do however re-clip like in this video in a couple stands where the tree is just goofy enough. Not ideal ... but ...

13-Nov-18
I use a Petzl with one of their via ferrata's.

13-Nov-18
I run a Petzl Pandion and a Beal 75 mm Dynaclip clipped to my tree tether.

• Sitka Gear