wv_bowhunter 17-Feb-19
EIStone 18-Feb-19
bighorn 20-Feb-19
RossR 23-Feb-19
Heritage 23-Feb-19
Shawn 23-Feb-19
Heritage 23-Feb-19
14-Nov-18
I think this now is the sleeper of 2019. Trimmer riser and gets out to 32.5" dl. I bought a 2017 halon 32 6 and couldn't warm up to it. I bought a used 2015 htr and am in love! The traverse looks like an absolute winner and would be my choice if I buy new this year.... which I likely will.

14-Nov-18
It is the one that appeals to me but I draw 31”. Which limits my choices.

14-Nov-18
It don’t hold a candle to the new Hoyt.

14-Nov-18
If I was to buy a Mathews, this would be the one. But it's too heavy for my aching shoulders. The Hoyt Ultra would be better for me.

14-Nov-18
I still have some years with the ole chill x hopefully, but if I was in the market this would be the bow that has most of my interest out of all that have been released this year.

14-Nov-18
Although the bow is very interesting, and finally something different and new, I'd give it time to be proven and pick up a used one, or new in box old stock, before I bought. I'm not looking for a new bow though.

14-Nov-18
I like the straight riser look of the Traverse, less deflex than the shoter bows.

14-Nov-18
Yeah it looks really good. It would be on my short list if I was in the market this year. I'm not sure I really get the need for the switchweight mods on the vertix. Seems like it will help shops out with inventory more than most archers. I'm not sure I've ever touched my draw weight after initial set up.

14-Nov-18
It’s definitely the best Mathews option this year. My concern is how top heavy it will be.

I have a Halon X and Chill X and the chill is such a well balanced out bow. The top heaviness of the Halon really turned me off.

I like being able to get up to 75#’s just by changing a mod.

The new grip angle will be the real big news and what Mathews has been missing th boat on since the late 90’s.

15-Nov-18
Agreed it is Mathews only "real bow" this year. But it won't hold a candle to the Realm X or the Hoyt Rx3 Ultra. Their cam system is just pain to tune with and work on, not to mention the weight is just ridiculous. But it is good to see them offering a real axle to axle bow again on the hunting side of things.

15-Nov-18
Elkman, have you shot the Mathews offerings? Do you get tired of spouting your drivel every year?

15-Nov-18
I agree with Elkman, changing those spacers to move the cams for tuning is a complicated system.

15-Nov-18
cath8r. That's what I thought.

15-Nov-18
I like dimensions, im not crazy about that cam system, i will stick with my realmX and experience

15-Nov-18
I’m a Mathews owner and fan. But I rarely ever buy any piece of machinery until it has a track record. ONLY time in the field, in the hands of hunters can prove a bow good, bad or mediocre. I’m not really looking but am always open.

It always kills me when the new trucks come out with the claim that it is “..the most dependable, reliable, longest lasting truck we’ve ever built..”.

How the heck do you know that if it isn’t even on the road yet?!?

15-Nov-18
It’s a Mathews. It’ll be just fine. Just like the Hours, Prime’s, etc.... it might not be best suited to some shooters. But, in today’s bow world, it’s going to be dependable.

15-Nov-18
The top hat system is not as easy or convenient as yokes for tuning but it’s not hard to do.

It would be great if other companies adopted how Mathews installs the axles. It’s far superior to e clips and shims that just fall away when the axle is removed. It’s real easy to pull your axles out, clean and lube.

15-Nov-18
I just got done shooting the traverse along side a Realm X, SS, and SR6. Top two were the SS and the traverse. The balance and the deadness of the Traverse were fantastic. Not top heavy like the Halons and the grip is better. As long as nothing irresistable comes out at the ATA show it will be my next bow.

16-Nov-18
Hilarious how Mathews are 'heavy'.What does the Hoyt Helix weigh guys?Hoyt can even make carbon heavy,a feat in itself though.

16-Nov-18
The Hoyt Helix is HEAVY too. Ridiculously so. I wonder why though???

16-Nov-18
All ribbing and Jones aside about brands and such. But, why are now companies building these bows with such a small brace height. The only advantage they offer is 10-12 FPS. That’s it. And, that doesn’t equal a hill of rice seeds. It just makes no sense to me. All of them shoot much easier then they did even 5 years ago. Point better. Balance better, stay in tune better due to strong materials. But, the trend is sub 7 inches. That’s unfriendly to the slightest flaw in form, heavy clothes, etc..... it just makes no sense to me.

16-Nov-18
New engineering and I think the old rules regarding brace height and axle to axle dont apply like they used to..... but people still bring them up to sound 'educated' and poo poo a product.

16-Nov-18
Brace height and axle to axle keep coming down and the scores keep going up.

25-Jan-19
I just finished shooting the traverse and the realm SS side by side and wanted one of them to stand out ( they were both excellent) SS was definitely lighter and faster but the grip on Mathews I liked a bit more, I feel the SS grip might get cold on the hand up here in northern canada

14-Feb-19
I am in the market for a new bow this year. I have shot a Mathews Q2 since they came out in 2000.

I have shot the Vertix, Traverse, and the Elite Ritual 30 recently. I ha e decided to stay with Mathews and am trying to decide between the Vertix and Traverse. I really liked the new grip. I don’t have a need for the switch weight mods so that isn’t a selling point for me.

Curious if anyone has bought the Traverse and what your opinion is this far?

Vertix opinions are welcome also.

14-Feb-19
Until I can go naked in cold weather, I need some brace height. (At 6 5/8” this one is actually not too bad compared to most new bows)

15-Feb-19
Been shooting the Traverse for over 2 months now. Very dead in the hand and quiet. It is only a 6 to 8 ounces heavier than most bows out there. It is not too heavy and the draw is fairly smooth even when the cams rollover. Shawn

15-Feb-19
Thanks. I have no real experience with the shorter brace height. Only 5/8” difference between these two.

The weight really doesn’t bother me that much. As you said, it isn’t that much heavier than the Vertix.

I was only able to shoot about 9 arrows from each one. I plan to shoot them again before making my decision. I’m a smaller framed guy so I like the idea of the 30” Vertix, but the Traverse is comparable to what I have always shot. Is there enough of a difference to make the longer Traverse more stable?

I doubt I would go wrong with either one.

15-Feb-19
Get the Traverse between those two. It's the better bow by far...

17-Feb-19
Elkman is correct I could not believe the difference between the two. I believe the Traverse should of been this years flagship bow. Quieter, smoother at the shot and even though my draw is only 28.5"s the bow just plain settles in at the shot much better. Shawn

17-Feb-19
I bought the vertix. It was a lot better bow for me than the traverse.

All has been well with the 2 I have. Opinions will vary greatly, as they should

17-Feb-19
No doubt, everyone has to decide by shooting them. I appreciate the thoughts and comments though. Definitely going to shoot them both a few more times before I decide. Not planning on buying until late spring or early summer so I still have some time.

18-Feb-19
I don't shoot a Mathews or own one but three of my good friends all bought Vertix bows last year. Recently they went to a bow shop and shot the new Traverse and all three sold their Vertix bows for far less then they paid for them and ordered the Traverse if that means anything.

20-Feb-19
Shoot the Hoyt RX3 at the Hunting Expo very impressed to make me go to my Pro shop. Felt Great!

23-Feb-19
Though bow choice/preference is certainly subjective, the Hoyt RX3 is not faring well against any of the competition in online reviews. I thought it was harsh compared to the Mathews Traverse, which was my favorite of all the bows that I tried this year. I have a 60# Traverse in Subalpine on order and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

23-Feb-19
I bought the Vertix. I only have a 28.5 inch draw. I love it. I hold more steady on taget than any I have shot, and I have no stabilizer on it. The draw cycle is tough for sure, and when it rolls over I hit the wall pretty hard. Once back, it's a dream. I've struggled with target panic off and on, but with my solid hold I actually get a surprise release. I upgraded from the Creed, and really appreciate the ruggedness of the Vertix compared to it.

23-Feb-19
Heritage I thought the Vertix rolled over pretty smooth, not as smooth as the Traverse. Actually the smoothest drawing bow and no harsh rollover was any PSE with the Evolve Cam they drew super nice but was not great on release, the Traverse for me was dead at the shot and drew very nice and had a pretty good back wall. maybe a tad spongy but not really. Shawn

23-Feb-19
I am at 78 pounds and the 85% lettoff, so it might have something to do with that.

• Sitka Gear