Ermine 10-Dec-18
Ward's Outfitters 11-Dec-18
Ward's Outfitters 11-Dec-18
Ermine 11-Dec-18
Ward's Outfitters 18-Dec-18
14-Nov-18

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
Vortex broadheads are absolutely superior to all other mechanical broadheads.

14-Nov-18

Vortex broadheads are made to maintain integrity under the worst conditions.

14-Nov-18

Vortex broadheads fly perfectly, and have been tested to speeds over 450 fps.

14-Nov-18

Vortex broadheads

14-Nov-18

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo
Not a giant to everyone but his first bowkill. Could not have been happier with a world record!

Killed with a Vortex broadhead given to me by Rodney Ward. Thanks Rodney!!!

14-Nov-18
Great job Greg! That’s. a Trophy all right

14-Nov-18
Thanks for the post "edit"

Douchery should be outlawed! Or at least punishable by an open hand slapfest.... ; ^ )

14-Nov-18
Those are some toads. Lol, I thought the Midwest “was” all corn

14-Nov-18
Slick tricks would have killed them just as dead. Thunderheads also, muzzy etc. you make it sound like to kill a giant you have to use vortex. Tell us about the ones that haven’t been found over the years.

14-Nov-18
ditto ki-kie. But it's already approaching time for another edit.

Ward's a sponsor of Bowsite. He's one of many paying for the luxury of all of us to have this great forum.

Another head may or may not have killed any of these deer. We'll never know. These are great trophy photos taken with site-sponsored broadheads. Accept that this thread is generally a promotion of said broadheads and move on if you don't have something constructive to say. That could be constructive criticism as well if you actually have something factual to discuss.

But don't razz Ward just because he's posting trophys taken by his customers.

Ward all I can add is "nice deer, congrats".

14-Nov-18
Right on smarba. This sponsor helps pay the bills that give us access to this site. Take it for what it is.

14-Nov-18
Who cares Buckiller....what do corn feeders have to do with this thread?

14-Nov-18
We need to open a "What I'm offended by" thread so we'll know if we can post or not. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone's delicate nature by killing an animal with the aid of a feeder, a food plot, a game camera, a firearm, (OMG), scent reducing clothes, tree stands, pop-ups, a mechanical broadhead, an atv, a rangefinder.............................well, you get the picture

14-Nov-18

1 booner i can assure you a couple of these bucks had high probability of not being recovered if they had not been shot with a large cutting diameter Vortex broadhead. Like others have mentioned I am a sponsor of this site and I am bragging about the animals Vortex broadheads have assisted being harvested. I can assure you and would challenge you any day to show me a mechanical broadhead that will perform as good as Vortex Broadheads.

14-Nov-18
Egads! Somebody shot my ex-mother in law!

14-Nov-18
Can you imagine that animal sticking its head in your tent.. Yikes

14-Nov-18
Smartba though I can’t disagree with the premise of your post and I’m sure the Vortex BH is a fine BH but for him to insinuate, in so many words that no other BH would have killed these animals is purely an opinion and not the facts that you want us to recite. All are beautiful animals but all could have been killed with other BH’s with a well placed shot. I’ll stand by that fact!

14-Nov-18

Matt's embedded Photo
Matt's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of a pretty decent sitka blacktail I recently killed with Vortex's new 125 gr. 2" steel. The new design worked just as well as the old version has over the past ~15 years, which is to say really well.

And you don't need to use Vortex to kill a giant buck. You just need to wear a sexy hat.

14-Nov-18
Great buck Matt and cool picture.

14-Nov-18

You Guys amaze me!! I never said that the only way to harvest a Giant buck was to utilize a Vortex Broadhead. I did say in a later post that they did help with the recovery of the Deer basically turning a poor shot into a marginal shot because of the Large cutting Diameter.

14-Nov-18
Great Buck Matt , I love the mass

15-Nov-18
Awesome bucks!! Wow

I must hve missed where he said that you can only kill bucks like that with a vortex?

I think we all know a fixed blade broadheads can kill too...! But man awesome bucks!

15-Nov-18
The Rage Trypans are a far better head than anything Vortex makes.

15-Nov-18
I talked to Steve about a month ago about the Vortex head , was impressed what he said and decided to give the heads a try . I was looking for as better head than I was using , I just got tired of hearing a broadhead rattle in my quiver . After talking to him, called Vortex talked to the guy that answered the phone a little bit about what head would work best for me and my set-up. I placed the order and was very surprised I got the heads in two days . I got the heads and was very impressed with the quality of the head . After Steve telling they don't have a practice head yet , said they are working on one . Told me all I needed to do was pull off the 0-ring and put some electrical tape or wire around the head . The first practice shot I took was at 20 yds and was perfect , took a 30 and a 40 yard shot those shots were dead perfect . Heads few great , and was ready for my Ohio hunt . The second picture is the buck I killed last week , the shot was 37 yds , the head work great . The exit wound on that deer was bigger than my fist . Very impressed with this head .

15-Nov-18

15-Nov-18
I used the Trypans , the Vortex is a way better head .

15-Nov-18
ELKMAN x's2

15-Nov-18
For those that are saying the Trypan is a way better head, is that because of direct empirical evidence (you have first hand experience with both) or just an opinion?

Asking for a friend.

15-Nov-18
Weren't Ward's the ones behind the inverter broadhead?

15-Nov-18

Elkman Bowbender REALLY?

15-Nov-18
If i cared I'm sure I could find a picture of a vortex head that had been shot into a concrete block also...LMAO!

15-Nov-18
Steve,

Just so there is no mistake, I was asking why the Trypan is better than the Vortex. Asking for hard evidence so to speak. Wasn't bashing Vortex or Rage.

Not sure what your pic shows....

15-Nov-18
I have shot dozens of different broad heads through all different animals as I like to have First hand experience before I comment on how a head will work. I have shot 7 different deer with a 100 grain vortex this year. They are extremely good heads, produce great entrance and exit holes and great blood trails.

I did not have to blood trail the buck in the first picture as he made it only 70 yards and fell in site.

For all the haters out there- my buck was also a free range giant from Iowa.

Steven- thanks for the great heads and I cant wait to put them though a ton more animals.

15-Nov-18
Rage are garbage made in China.

15-Nov-18
Gold Tip arrows are garbage made in Mexico. (LOL...fixed it!)

15-Nov-18
I believe Goldtips are made in Mexico..not China but I could be wrong.

15-Nov-18

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Here is one I shot a rabbit with. It did hit a shoulder blade though. lol

15-Nov-18

Bowbender sorry bud I didn't mean to place your name in that comment. Elkman Do you have first hand experience with Vortex Heads? If you need photos of Vortex heads shot into cinder blocks I'll be happy to share those with you. I just hare destroying Arrows.

15-Nov-18
Why do I get sucked in to this crap? Damn!! Ermine he wrote in his earlier post that “vortex broadheads are absolutely superior to all other mechanical broadheads”. That is nothing more than opinion!

15-Nov-18
I have shot one animal with a Rage. Made a good shot and had a quick, clean kill. Recovered the arrow and the blades were broken. Glad I put it in the right spot. That was also the last time I shot a rage. I have shot several animals with a Vortex. Not once has a blade been broken. Bent, yes, broken, never. The bent blade is still able to cut and continues to work as long as it remains in the animal. The broken blade becomes a bad sliver at best. We all know that any well placed arrow can get the job done. I just appreciate that little bit of extra help that a durable and large cutting Vortex will give me because sometimes the shot doesn't always go as planned.

15-Nov-18

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
4 ribs cut in half with a Vortex.
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
4 ribs cut in half with a Vortex.

15-Nov-18
The new stainless steel ferrule combined with spring steel blades makes the new 125 gr Vortex formidable. Spring steel can bend and twist but is almost impossible to break. It’s also a very simple design with regards to functionality. Great mech head.

15-Nov-18
I'm gonna give the new 125's a try. Maybe use one on one of those AZ elk someday Steven!

15-Nov-18
"If i cared I'm sure I could find a picture of a vortex head that had been shot into a concrete block also"

If you REALLY didn't care, you wouldn't have posted to the thread.......you fan boys are a hoot....

15-Nov-18
Steve are you going to make an all steel 100 grainer?

15-Nov-18
The buck I took last week in North Dakota (snow pic) I imagine I could have killed with a field point but thankfully I used a 100 grain 2" Vortex instead so the blood trail was five feet wide and less than 90 yards long. With my recurve and longbows I use several types of heads (prefer the Rothhaar snuffer) but only Vortex are found in my compound bows quiver. DISCLAIMER: Vortex broadheads must be shot from a Hoyt bow to obtain maximum effectiveness

15-Nov-18
I'm a Rocket Steelhead 125 fan through and through. That said, when my stash of steelheads finally runs dry, I'm going to shoot the new all steel 125 vortex. I like the design though I prefer the steelhead's 3 blades. Pete

15-Nov-18
Guys should be required to post what companies/products they are sponsored by when posting on these forums.

My sense is there would be a trend of "the best broadhead is____" being the same as "the broadhead that pays my rent is____".

16-Nov-18
I have no skin in this game. I buy everything I use. But I remember my brother in law shooting a deer on an angle with the vortex in the early 90s and it kicked sideways. Has that been resolved. Do all mechanicals with this deployment design have that issue of the blade tip catching first and kicking the tail of the arrow a little bit?

16-Nov-18
^^^ That is one of the many issues with the old technology over the top mechanical heads. Rear deploying heads are better in every way.

16-Nov-18
I think the whole kicking out on angles shots is overblown. I can't imagine the animals that have been shot with overt the top mechnicals.

16-Nov-18
Fixed blades deflect, mechanicals deflect, that argument is overblown. I've also tested steelheads on an angled piece of plywood which I realize is not an animal but in fact a worse medium for deflection than an animal. Performance was roughly similar compared to a slick trick and a 3 blade VPA. One could even argue fixed heads are more likely to deflect on impact with bone that strikes just off the side of the leading point. Weird things happen on seemingly perfect shots regardless of head. The vortex look impressive the only thing that concerns me is the lack of angle on the first part of the blade on heavy bone.

16-Nov-18
My buddy shot a deer with the old Vortex and it went in straight and kicked upward into the deers back.

16-Nov-18
I shot a deer with a muzzy 3 blade years ago that entered high lungs and exited the body cavity only an inch or 2 lower on the opposite side. Somehow....it deflected and rode straight down the rib cage between the ribs and the hide and exited at the elbow. Any and all heads can deflect and can do so without obvious explanation.

16-Nov-18
Elkman again do you have firsthand experience with Vortex broadheads? Vortex blades are shatpened to the tip of the blade, this keeps the broadhed from deflecting. In my career of Outfitting and being a part of over 500 archery kills their isn't a broadhead i havent seen used. I can tell you from experience that rear deploying mechanical heads like rage Do not penetrate or out perform the flip style blades. I Guarantee you that a vortex broadhead will out perform and penetrate a rage broadhead especially if heavy bone is encountered. This is not an opinion its a fact.

16-Nov-18
Steve, what makes the flip top out penetrate a rear deploy? I’m not much of a mech guy but I’m curious.

16-Nov-18
Anyone recall Seinfeld arguing with Kramer about the baseball spittle spoof of JFK assasination one shooter versus two? I think we solved the riddle..."the first shot hit, and bounced off, then stopped and turned in midair mind you, and then angled back..." LOL

16-Nov-18
Spike78 It's very simple, when a rear deploying head hits the animal it instantly becomes completely deployed. With that said if that broadhead is a 2" head then you are pushing 2"s of blade through hair, skin, fat, muscle then bone. All that reduces energy, imagine having to push that through a shoulder blade. I'll use Vortex as the flip style head. Ok in the closed position the head is 7/8" if its a 2" head its only pushing 7/8" of blade through the hair, skin, muscle and by the time it get to the bone it will have started to deploy and woukd be pushing approximately 1" of blade through the hard bone. With a vortex style head the broadhead has to travel the lenght of the broadhead plus approximately 1 inch before its completely deployed. This requires les energy thus giving better penetration. I hope this is a good explanation.

16-Nov-18
Yup perfect. I’d like to see some high speed camera in gel that would be neat.

16-Nov-18
Yup perfect. I’d like to see some high speed camera in gel that would be neat.

17-Nov-18
And that is why there is a pin hole entrance with the over the top style mechanicals with very little blood trail if you don't achieve and exit wound. Our testing and field experience shows that the rear deploying heads are superior in every way including penetration... (All things being equal) I notice you had the photos of the competition deleted from your thread.

17-Nov-18
Never had a pin hole entrance with a vortex, ever. in fact all of my shots on both deer and elk with these heads have been near full deployment. Elkman, your thinking of a Schwacker or Sanoran. It takes very little for them to deploy unlike the new collar on Rage and the locking detent feature on Killzones. But the main reason IMO for better penetration is that the blades are not as flat as the rear deploying head out on the ends of the blade where the leverage to slow a head down is playing a major factor in penetration. The inside of the blade towards the body is choppier but it's a very small area compared to Rage or Killzone. Both of those heads are choppy rather than slice. The outside blade angle of the vortex is much more slice than of the rear deploying heads.

17-Nov-18
Elkman, my buck pictured in this thread had no exit wound , I shot it at a very steep angle, the Broadhead went in the short ribs going completely through the entire body cavity. The blood trail was as wide as my trucks tailgate. I wish I had videotaped it, the blood came out the entrance hole with an aerosol effect, you can kinda see it in the pic. Steven would probably send you some heads to try, you wouldn’t be disappointed. Of course as with most things archery related you need to use what gives you the greatest confidence. Post some more elk pics, they’re awesome!

17-Nov-18
Sponsors pay the way for us to use this site for free. Questions about their product is one thing.... crapping on their threads is another.

17-Nov-18
What holds the blades on a Vortex closed? Looks like a rubber o-ring? For those who haven't shot the new Trypans, the new keyed collar is awesome. If you're not getting enough kinetic energy out of your setup to snap two small plastic tabs, you should rethink it. The Vortex looks like a nice head, and if it's working for some folks, that's great....shoot whatever gives you the results you desire. As far as crapping on products who are sponsors, don't forget Rage is a huge sponsor of the Pope and Young Club. Thank you for supporting Bowsite, Mr. Ward....if my Trypans fail to produce, I'll give your Vortex a try...especially if they're powered by real tornadoes! ;-)

17-Nov-18
"And that is why there is a pin hole entrance with the over the top style mechanicals with very little blood trail if you don't achieve and exit wound."

Direct question: do you get paid by or receive free/discounted product from Rage?

There is a big difference between being passionate and recommending a product and being a shill.

The Vortex has a 7/8" closed width and sharpened blade tips. My experience is that the entrance holes are generally just over 1", pretty comparable to 2 blade COC broadhead. Ergo, not a pin hole.

The Vortex design permits the BH to penetrate through the hide before fully deploying which conserves energy compared to rear-deploying broadheads like Rage, increasing the likelihood of achieving an exit wound.

Not that it necessarily matters, but I paid full price for the dozen Vortex 125 gr. steel I recently purchased,.

17-Nov-18
Elkman No point in arguing with you, you sir are obviously uneducated in physics and mechanics. Have a nice day.

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18
Looks like you threw a DOUBLE bitted axe through there.

17-Nov-18
Steve just tell ELKMAN you shot those with a Hoyt and he will only be half a douche bag lol. Those 2.75” heads are rediculous. What is the draw weight on the bow?

17-Nov-18
Spike78 We reccomend no less than 60 fp of ke

17-Nov-18
They look like a great head for a crossbow

18-Nov-18
I would Sam but the counter side of this discussion is not aloud to post photos on this thread. They will be deleted immediately. And Spike: I shoot a Realm X so I'm not sure what your taking about. Steve: Anytime you want to seriously discuss physics relating to this topic, you just let me know...

18-Nov-18
So, are you sponsored by Rage or not?

18-Nov-18
Why have I never seen a deer shot with a fixed blade run off with almost the entire arrow sticking out. Without a doubt there have been more calls to use my tracking dog who shot mechanicals than fixed. I’m not sayin they don’t work but they don’t fix every problem caused by taking poor shots

18-Nov-18
I like the ballistics gel idea. Wrap a block of get with some leather or pig skin and do some slow motion videos of several types of broadhead. I think points could be prove6 so to speak.

18-Nov-18
1boonr, because they use a super light arrow with a MBH, then take long shots. That's great but the super light arrow comes off the bow fast then has no energy left when it reaches the target. They only care about speed off the bow, and don't understand some weight is needed to carry that speed, (momentum), to have energy down range. It's all about who's arrow is fastest off the bow, sad.

18-Nov-18
1boonr, because they use a super light arrow with a MBH, then take long shots. That's great but the super light arrow comes off the bow fast then has no energy left when it reaches the target. They only care about speed off the bow, and don't understand some weight is needed to carry that speed, (momentum), to have energy down range. It's all about who's arrow is fastest off the bow, sad.

18-Nov-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
Entrance hole from a few hours ago this morning

18-Nov-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
Exit hole 40 yard recovery

18-Nov-18
Note the “pin-hole” entrance... ??

18-Nov-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
Made for a fun recovery for my pups....Ray Charles could follow the blood trail.

18-Nov-18
Folks often comment about poor penetration with MBH's based on situations they see in hunting videos. I've read and heard that, as examples, the Drurys shoot relatively light poundage and very high arrow speeds which infer very low arrow weights (53# draw weight and 321 fps were referenced in one interview). There are lots of factors that play into penetration, but for some reason pundits tend to get tunnel vision when accounting for poor penetration when MBH's are involved.

18-Nov-18
Elkman weren’t you mr Hoyt or maybe someone else?

18-Nov-18

Elkman you obviously have never shot Vortex broadheads. You are also out of your mind to think that a 2" rage would out penetrate a 2" Vortex if they were shot into the exact same median

19-Nov-18
Spike: I'm "Mr. who ever is making the best equipment". Right now on the bow side that is Bowtech with the Realm series, and on the broad head side NOTHING sucks the life out of an animal faster than a Rage 2 blade... NOTHING

19-Nov-18
Hey at least you have an open mind lol. Just messing with you.

19-Nov-18
Steven, Thanks for being a Bowsite sponsor! And gents, I am no fanboy, just ask Steven... But good grief he is showing what his product can, and does do, and very well and impressive I might add, and I don't shoot mechanicals... If you don't like it just keep scrolling! I knew before I clicked on this thread what it was about. Keep putting them in the freezer Steven, and thanks again for being a sponsor!

Scar

19-Nov-18

Ward's Outfitters's Link
Elkman just in case you missed this.

https://www.facebook.com/steven.ward.3701/videos/vb.1119994385/10213382160244702/?type=3

19-Nov-18
Hey guys use what you believe in. I know I will. There were some VERY strong statements made at the very beginning of this thread by Steve. I am just making countering statements on my side/opinion on things. Not really a fair fight/debate though when the OP deletes any opposing proof now is it. I'm sure Vortex is decent broad head for old style expandable technology, but I prefer a rear deploying head and HUGE entry holes in case there is no exit. My profile page is FULL of the proof...

19-Nov-18
Elkman I agree with using what you have the most confidence in. What are you referring to that was deleted.

19-Nov-18
can you also post how many have been lost when shooting Vortex? what's that number?

19-Nov-18
Perhaps the Bowsite admins deleted posts which were perceived as thinly veiled Rage advertisements as they were made by what we can only assume is a paid Rage spokesperson?

Allowing that sort of content isn't really fair to paying Bowsite sponsors.

19-Nov-18
I did not click on the link Steven posted above, but I am assuming it is the plywood shoot through test he posted on FB a few weeks back. I did watch that and will say I was VERY impressed. I would also like to say that I have never purchased a Vortex OR and broadheads from Rage. I'm not a fan of mechanicals. But, after seeing that plywood test and how that head did not come undone after a dozen or so penetrations through 3/4" plywood, I have to say I am considering a stroll to the dark side....lol

All that to say, has a comparable, non partisan test been done with any Rage product? I'm sure both heads have killed plenty of game, but what does the durability comparison look like?

20-Nov-18
"Vortex broadheads are absolutely superior to all other mechanical broadheads."

I read this and immediately lost interest in ever shooting Vortex Broadheads.

20-Nov-18

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo
Just shot this deer with Vortex 2" head....... Bad shot big blood trail easy recovery!

21-Nov-18
Great Buck Forest.

21-Nov-18
I really don't see what some of you guys are complaining about. If you are the owner/manufacturer/marketer of a product and you don't believe it is the best out there then I might have a problem with you!

Steven Ward is a sponsor here and he makes a post promoting his product, good for him. He honestly believes his product is great, good for him. Others disagree with him, good for them too, it's still a free country. Steven Ward also clearly stated "I agree with using what you have the most confidence in". I don't think anyone can find fault with the guy for trying to give others confidence in the product he makes!

It's called advertising people, it happens all the time!!!

21-Nov-18
Would love to see penetration testing done by an unbiased source. IMVHO, the flat leading edge of the Vortex doesn't seem like it would do that well. Like I said, just an opinion. Just doesn't seem logical to me.

21-Nov-18
Hey Steven, I keep checking back on this thread to see if I will satisfy my curiosity. Never handled one of your heads in person. Could you make even a short video explaining how your broadhead penatrates deeper and has “delayed expansion” even if you just sort of mock it up going through a piece of paper and opening it with your fingers or something? Because just off pictures I would have assumed it opens like any other grim reaper or rocket steelhead. You have a lot of confidence in your head which is awesome, I would love to see what separates the vortex from the crowd

21-Nov-18
M.Pauls

Let's get past this hokiday weekend and i will make a short video.

21-Nov-18
I’m not shooting them currently, but I would agree there blades are dang tough. They bend a bit but I’ve never broke one.

21-Nov-18
I never shot mechanicals. right now I am shooting ramcat diamondback 125s. I also shoot a recurve #85 @ 30 inch draw. Would the 1.5 inch work on moose with this setup? Oh ya my arrow weighs 780 grains and was chrono graphed at 203 ft per second.

21-Nov-18
A thought came to me when Mr. Roher was talking about marketing tools. Well, You should have tried to market a new broadhead IN 1987...VORTEX when everyone you showed it to thought it was a fishing head. Our first profitable sale in the archery industry was May 2, 1988. We gave a good number out to anyone that would shoot it to test & to be sure it worked like it was supposed to on animals before we put it on the market. I must say one of my favorite demo's was shooting a fat Tucson phone book. You could open the pages and see how and at what points the blades were opening as it went into the phone book.

22-Nov-18
I'd rather use Rage

22-Nov-18
M.Pauls, the o-ring has to move down the ferrule a ways before the blades can fully deploy, which results in the BH penetrating a bit before the full cutting diameter is in play. There may be something to the sharpened blade tips slowing actuation as they may present less resistance on the hide/hair than BH designs with blunt tips which are presumably a design feature to force blade deployment.

23-Nov-18
I think most mech. shooters agree with Thornton...

23-Nov-18
You are probably right Elkman. Most mechanical shooters are robots and buy what they see the "pros" on TV shoot.

If they all shot Toxic heads, so would the masses.

23-Nov-18
Really looking forward to annual Coues hunt in a week and a half, hopefully I can at least kill a tiny Coues with a crummy Vortex.

23-Nov-18
"I think most mech. shooters agree with Thornton..."

Especially the shills that get paid to covertly pimp products.

23-Nov-18
I too have a hard time getting past the flat-ish front on it. That's always been my hangup.

23-Nov-18
Apauls.... they ain’t Purdy, till they open, lol

23-Nov-18
If there was two things I like they fly great , I killed the biggest bodied deer Ive ever killed in 46 years of bowhunting with a Vortex 2 weeks ago . Did not make the best of shot , will say that Vortex saved my butt. The exit hole on that deer was bigger than my first .

23-Nov-18
As in all things, shot placement is paramount. I don't go for all that "expand your kill zone" crap. Aim small, miss small. I will say, the large cutting diameter has saved my butt more then once on poor hits. I used to laugh at the vortex till I finally tried it. I did my research, adjusted my equipment accordingly and have taken 60 animals with them. From AZ to Africa, they have done well for me. No, I am not associated with Marden, just a satisfied customer.

23-Nov-18
^^^There is no arguing the beauty in a giant hole ;) From what I've seen generally guys that opt for the larger mechanicals end up backing away from the shoulder just a little more as bone is the major hurdle and are well served by it. A deer hit center of body vertically is a dead deer and those huge gashes seem to put them down in short order. Gut shots aren't the fear they used to be that's for sure.

23-Nov-18
I’ve read more crap about Rages opening on flight, not opening when they hit, broken cheap China blades, crappy penetration and yet the Rage users are bashing Vortex. I used a Rage once and it was the cheapest looking broadhead I’ve ever seen. Stopped using them after they opened on every little twig I bumped them on.

23-Nov-18
I’m interested in the 125 steel heads; looking at the pictures of the head, it appears the first section of the cutting surface is 90 degrees to the ferrule. Would this impede penetration?

24-Nov-18
Alzy Penetration is not reduced because of the angle of the blade when entering. Unlike most mechanicals our blades are sharpened so they are cutting their way in not punching.

24-Nov-18
My experience with vortex .killed several turkeys with the 2 3/4 inch version worked great. Took one the blades two pair of pliers bent it into curly q . It did not break and didn't bend easily. Last fall shot a bull square in the guts, backed out came back 5 hours later he didn't go a hundred yards. I know if I used a small head I would never have found him.

24-Nov-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Entry on my buck from a few days ago. Wasn't alive for 10 seconds, and dropped in sight as per usual. I haven't had to blood trail an animal in like 3 years... Nuff said.

24-Nov-18
Elkman, if f you’d like to advertise, then be a business man and pay your way on this site to do this. He’s doing an advertisement for himself.

Be a man and get rage to sponsor the site and then you can advertise. Until then, get off of other people’s coat tails.

You sir, are a joke to everything you represent. You push people away from your cause.

24-Nov-18
Elkman Is this a Rage post? I didn't think so!!! Keep it up and I will be sure to show countless hours of video footage where rage failed, broke, didn't penetrate. If you want to know which one is the best , buy a few Vortex and you will see the truth.

I would love to make a few videos, but i'm trying to spend a few extra hours with the family prior to going on my Desert Sheep hunt on Wednesday.

24-Nov-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
“I don’t always use a rifle, and when I do bowhunt, I use Rage broadheads”
t-roy's embedded Photo
“I don’t always use a rifle, and when I do bowhunt, I use Rage broadheads”
“I think most mech. shooters agree with Thornton”

Not your strongest argument, ELKMAN.

25-Nov-18
LOL!

25-Nov-18
Saying you have the best mechanical is like saying you took the cutest fat girl to prom.

A lot of those animals would have died to other Broadheads.

25-Nov-18
In the field of bad Broadheads, fixed blades have a larger array of garbage heads. Both heads have their time and place. To claim that it’s akin to taking the cutest fat girl to the prom isn’t even a close comparison.

You say a lot of those animals would’ve died. I can’t help but notice you didn’t say all would’ve died.

The simple fact remains. The vortex head is a bad ass head. At least give credit where credit is due. Small mindedness is not a good virtue.

It ain’t what we don’t know that gets us into trouble. It’s what we know that just ain’t so that does.

That’s a quote, or damn close to Mark Twain.

25-Nov-18
Brian,

You have no idea what you are talking about. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of of guys on this site that shoot mechanical heads shoot optimally tuned setups.

The laziness you talk about is best described by those who have opinions about certain things but yet have no experience to back up their opinions.

Assuming one has energy to burn statistically speaking a mechanical head will give one a better chance to kill than a fixed head.

25-Nov-18
Why would anyone bash a sponsor of this site?

25-Nov-18
Yea fixed blades work Well when placed in the right spot. No one is arguing that. And Steven never said vortex are the only broadhead ghat can work on animals.

I think where the large cut heads come into place is when the shots are less than perfect

25-Nov-18
Brian How many big game animals have you shot with a arrow?

25-Nov-18
I think Brian is avoiding the question.

25-Nov-18
Yes you did, Brian. That tells me you haven't had much experience, but would like to talk like you do.

Apparently, from your post on another thread, you've also had hand to paw combat with grizzly bears.

25-Nov-18
Don’t take yourself so serious DC. It was a little attempt at humor. Now you are an expert on what virtues I have. Give me a break. I really feel sorry for you.

25-Nov-18
There is something that evokes pity when watching a little fish wriggling on a hook. Back you go Brian.

The OP can delete my posts as they have nothing to do with Vortex and are really just as useless as the silly comments I was responding to.

25-Nov-18
Answer the question Brian

25-Nov-18
Forest he’s trolling. Ignore him.

25-Nov-18
It’s hilarious how a guy gets on a post saying how great fixblades are, given a good bunch of these guys are straight up killers.

Assuming 15 is a real number Brian , that’s a normal season for some of us...

25-Nov-18
I have been Bowhunting close to 46 years , won't even say how many animals I have killed with a bow , would probably get laughed at . Thru my early years I used to shoot 150 arrows a day and shoot 80 lbs , and as I got older it started taking a tole on my right shoulder . Probably doing 100 lb dumbbell presses did not help . In 35 years never once used a mechanical , and used one of the smallest heads out there a G5 Striker . About 10 years ago , I was not shooting as much and my accuracy got worse . I went to a mechanical , in the last 10 years that big cutting heads saved my ass more than once . I think if your a real good shot , and put it in the boiler any fixed head will work . IMO , you get like myself and start to make marginal shots that big cutting head helps .

25-Nov-18
Yep^^^

25-Nov-18
The one thing you have absolutely NO control over is the reaction of the animal to the shot! I don't care if you are the greatest shot in the world. When and if the animal turns inside out trying to jump the string and your shot does not hit the animal exactly where you aimed..... that's when the BIG cutters shine.

25-Nov-18
This thread got silly real fast. Hmm, maybe if Ward gives away some freebie heads like the other guy the negative nancies might come around.

26-Nov-18

Sheep on my mind. I'll be shooting the Vortex 100 grsin 2.75" on this hunt.

26-Nov-18
Good luck on the sheep! That is a once in a lifetime opportunity for sure. How in thee hell did you draw that tag? I look forward to hearing/seeing the story.

26-Nov-18
Being in the bathroom with a sheep is a felony in some states. :)

Good luck on your desert BH hunt!

26-Nov-18
LOL @ Ken!

Good luck, Steven...wow!

26-Nov-18
Good luck on the hunt Steven, there is no doubt a ram that is living his last few days right now.

26-Nov-18
Please start a new thread so we can follow this......

26-Nov-18
The hot tub in the background is a nice added touch! ;-)

Good Luck on the sheep hunt, Steven!

26-Nov-18
Good luck on the sheep hunt Steven! Hope to see another thread here doing a recap!

27-Nov-18
Good luck Steven! I cant wait to see your write up. Like the decoy. This should be a fun hunt for you.

27-Nov-18

Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
New 125 gr steel

27-Nov-18
Brian?!? “Cricket cricket cricket “

27-Nov-18
Good luck Steven...although I don't think you need luck! Somewhere out there is a ram that's about to get a ride in you pack. Just keep that heart rate down in the safe zone! Aim small brother.

30-Nov-18
There is only spotty service where he is at. The location of the hunt is in the Berry Goldwater bombing range east of Yuma AZ.

30-Nov-18
Steven is Sheep hunting with Laser guided bombs??!! After this thread, I came to the conclusion that NOTHING compared to the lethality of a 2-3/4" Vortex!! May as well hunt with a recurve..... ; ^ )

Wheres Brian?

01-Dec-18
Good luck Steve! Please post pictures and story after the hunt.

03-Dec-18
Steven killed a ram today at about 1:30pm or so. At 5:15 they had reached the bottom of the mountain and have not heard from him since. I think they had a 5 mile hike back to camp.

04-Dec-18
Head Doctor, Any updates? I hope his packout went well.

04-Dec-18
Every thing is good...Thank God! He called me right after he shot the Ram and I have never heard Steven in that tone of voice. I immediately assumed something negative. Did He fall off of a cliff? Did He have heart issues? Did someone helping him hurt himself????????????? He finally got it out and said "I killed one"!

04-Dec-18
Congrats Steven!

04-Dec-18
Which one of your heads did he use for this hunt?

04-Dec-18
100 grain 2-1/2 I believe. As far as I know he spine shot it at 18 yards.

04-Dec-18
It was only a matter of time before he killed one. When I was with him in August he was saying how he was told it is nearly impossible to kill a ram in that unit with a bow. He killed on in a few days. Steven is a stone cold killer and I would not want to be an animal with him chasing me. Congrats buddy!!

04-Dec-18
Wow...Fantastic...Congrats Steven.

04-Dec-18
When I was with Steven in September he was mentally preparing to hunt the entire month of December and only taking time off for Christmas (his family always takes priority). Guess now he's gonna be spending time shopping for presents! Way to go brother!!

04-Dec-18
Congrats to Steven. And I want to hear this story.

04-Dec-18
100 grain 2-1/2 I believe. As far as I know he spine shot it at 18 yards.

04-Dec-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo

04-Dec-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo

04-Dec-18

05-Dec-18
"Saying one broadhead is the best because you say it's the best probably isn't accurate. "

No, but nobody ever claimed that their product was 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best either. I would fully expect the manufacturer of a product to say theirs is the best. I mean you don't see Chevy, Ford or Dodge ads on TV saying "Hey our trucks came in 3rd on JD Powers survey on customer satisfaction". Or chanting we're number 2, we're number 2.

EDIT -

Congrats Steve!! What a fine ram!!

05-Dec-18
Congrats Steve, nice Ram!

05-Dec-18
Nice ram! Congratulations.

05-Dec-18
WTG Steven!

05-Dec-18
Very Nice Ram, Congratulations!!!

05-Dec-18
AWESOME! I am so jealous. Congratulations! How long did it take you to draw the tag?

05-Dec-18
Congrats on a nice Ram!

05-Dec-18
Great job Stephen ! Congrats !

07-Dec-18
Thanks guys, it was an amazing experience. If you haven't seen it yet im writing a short story on the sheep page.

10-Dec-18

10-Dec-18
Congrats again Steven!

10-Dec-18
He shot it with one of his own heads. Why would he use anything else?

10-Dec-18
Guessing they are joking Considering the thread is about vortex

11-Dec-18

11-Dec-18

11-Dec-18
Dang that’s a giant coues

18-Dec-18