Charlie Rehor 16-Nov-18
Mulehorn 17-Nov-18
Jaquomo 17-Nov-18
LUNG$HOT 17-Nov-18
Jaquomo 17-Nov-18
Franzen 18-Nov-18
tobinsghost 18-Nov-18
14-Nov-18
It annoys me (to a very small degree) when people refer to a deer as a SHOOTER. To me that infers that it meets some kind of specific, universally accepted criteria., when in fact, the definition is purely personal. It would be more accurate to describe a deer as "a buck that I want to shoot" or "a buck that I choose not to shoot".

14-Nov-18
Except that to describe a deer as "a buck that I want to shoot" or "a buck that I choose not to shoot" requires too much verbiage. Shorten up to "shooter", and the rest of us know what you mean.

No different than someone saying "nice car". Obviously they can only express their own opinion, no need for them to include "in my opinion"

14-Nov-18
Yeah, the term has always bothered me too... Along with MacDaddy, Hammer, etc, etc... Wish they'd have a little more respect for the animal they are about to takes life... Those Bubba's and hillbillies have no respect...

14-Nov-18
A deer that the individual hunter would like to shoot. Doesn’t have to meet some international agreed upon size.

14-Nov-18
“Good morning world. And what am I offended by today??”

How about a shooter, over a corn pile that has been named from trail cam pics.

14-Nov-18
I guide deer hunters and when the ask me if it’s a shooter I always tell them, “ that’s a deer you might want to shoot but then again you might not, if he doesn’t meet your criteria”. Ohh wait ;) maybe not

14-Nov-18
Should I stop calling a fine looking woman a "looker" and start calling her "a girl I would like to have relations with" instead?

14-Nov-18
Brotsky that would be a GILF, so maybe we should call a shooter a BILS. There from now on I will be annoyed if we don’t call them BILS.

14-Nov-18
It’s “Good Lord” Pat. You’re so offensive ;)

14-Nov-18
Well I wish a friggin BILS would show up here so I can decide if he’s a shooter!!

Oh, Wait. I guess technically, I’d be the “shooter” and he’d be the “shootee”.

14-Nov-18
Somebody hasn't been seeing any "shooters" :)

14-Nov-18
I was going to go with Brotsky's logic,

then I though, Hmmmm I have a daughter, and I don't like the thought of Men calling her "a girl I would like to have relations with" kinda turned my stomach.

Then I thought again, It's a deer, not my daughter if I start giving deer human emotions or traits I will be no better than the anti's

Now I'm pissed being compared to the anti's Therefore "Call it a shooter and stick an arrow in it. We all know what you mean."

oz

14-Nov-18
I actually like the term "shooter". Better than "140 class cull buck" LOL.

For any species I hunt there are "shooters" and "not shooters". Score may be all over the map and I don't care. When I lay eyes on something it doesn't take my brain very long to decide if it's a "shooter". Usually instantly. I don't need to study it, evaluate score, minus deductions, lament that 1/4" of brow tine was broken off in a battle and because of that fact he's no longer a "shooter".

Then again I don't think I've ever used the term "shooter", it's just something I think in my brain when I lay eyes on an animal.

14-Nov-18
LOL - I did say it annoys me to "a very small degree". However, when someone puts a posts a picture of a deer and proclaims that it is not a Shooter, it seems to me that they could be insulting (albeit unintentionally) someone to whom the same deer may be a personal "Trophy of a Lifetime" (Another term that annoys me to a small degree).

14-Nov-18
You know if deer truly were "shooters" we'd probably all decide to hunt in CT so we didn't have to risk getting shot!

14-Nov-18
LOL!!! Loprofile, I think you’re digging deeper...

14-Nov-18
Wow really splitting hairs here. I think it's implied it is a personal standard. "Harvest" is my pet peeve though so I get it on some level.

14-Nov-18
It’s only 9:30, my lunch is almost all gone, with seven hours left to go and not a BILS in sight. Now that annoys me!

14-Nov-18
I’m w ambush..this is just a “Get off my lawn” thread..

14-Nov-18
Loprofile, we all have different standards. Some have even come up with scoring systems for GILF’’s. So it only makes sense that a BILS might be a 1 on my scale and an 11 on yours. No offense some of us just have more to work with. ;)

14-Nov-18
Mad online!

14-Nov-18
Can one person have more than one "trophy of a lifetime" for the same species?

14-Nov-18
It really bothers me when someone says a given animal is within range. It makes me feel bad that their range may be longer than mine and it may be out of my range while in theirs. So little empathy for the feelings of others these days.

I think they should just quote the actual yardage and not equate it to being too far to shoot or not.

14-Nov-18
You really can't establish whether or not it was within range unless shot was taken.

14-Nov-18
If I smoke a deer that to me is a Shooter, but to you is not, did I smoke him?

14-Nov-18
I have named 1 deer ever, I usually name stands so its easier to set up buddies and discuss happenings. I don't mind the term "Shooter" and use it actually. Every bodies definition of "Shooter" is likely different for various reasons. Most of the TV guys make me sick with there banter...most not all.

14-Nov-18
I was talking with my dad the other day and we figured out that he has been bowhunting for 47 years. I don't think I've ever heard him use the term "shooter". He was and still is an equal opportunity deer hunter, if he gets the opportunity to shoot any deer he does it no matter how big or small. He's killed his share of nice bucks because they walked by first on that particular hunt, he doesn't discriminate.

It's funny how you get used to things. I also used to hate the term "shooter" and I really hated it when people started referring to buck size in "inches". As time has gone by I find myself using the slang. I guess we adjust to almost anything.

14-Nov-18
it just comes down to what you definition of "is"...is

14-Nov-18
So what you are saying is, it really wasn't a DYI because someone suggested which state you should hunt ......... hmmmm.

loprofile .... man you need to go out and shoot something .... "shooter or not - just kill it" LOL

14-Nov-18
Are we still allowed to call an under 28” walleye a “keeper” ?

14-Nov-18
I found a "shooter" last week on this day. He has now been lessened to "the buck on the right side of the freezer". I'd love to find another shooter this evening.

14-Nov-18
I saw only two shooters and shot one.

Saw a lot of non shooters tho.

14-Nov-18
Ambush, not anymore. Henceforth all walleyes under 28" shall be known as "One I would like to batter and dip in hot oil".

14-Nov-18
I like "Hooter" much better.....

Any size..... P&Y or not..... I'm not picky.....

14-Nov-18
If I see a small buck and a doe this weekend I plan to Shoot Her.

14-Nov-18
Dilly dilly for the term hooter!!

14-Nov-18
What about a really big buck that you miss? Can he really be a "shooter" if you miss him? Maybe a "misser"? I'm confusing myself now...

14-Nov-18
I saw only two shooters and shot one.

Saw a lot of non shooters tho.

14-Nov-18
I actually had this happen....while I was hunting recently I had a "male Whitetail deer with enough linear inches of antler on his cranium that would satisfy my self imposed limit prior to drawing my primitive weapon and ending the life of said animal".....by the time I finished my thought the deer was gone.

14-Nov-18
Is shooting a smoker the same thing as smoking a shooter?

14-Nov-18
My opinion is, who cares, life is too short to get caught up in this. Really, it's time to move on and look at the big picture. I will let you figure what the big picture is. BC

14-Nov-18

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I saw 6 non-shooters this morning. I saw one shooter and quickly made her the shootee. She ain't going in the freezer though.........

14-Nov-18
I like the term "shooter." It generally refers to a male of the specie that almost no one would pass up or you and your hunting camp wouldn't pass up.

14-Nov-18
But I do think that qualifies as a"dirt nap". If we are allowed to say that still.

14-Nov-18

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
Highly offensive term in my book...

14-Nov-18
I like a 'shooter' filled with whiskey

14-Nov-18
So what your saying is that a doe can't be a shooter so now we can't shot does?? Now I'm really confused !!

14-Nov-18
In Louisiana is it a "Chooter"????

15-Nov-18
Can’t shooter just represent a buck that one hunter would like to shoot? Again.. Get off my lawn!!

15-Nov-18
Standswithaknife. That’s how I look at it. I call deer I want to shoot shooters. Buck or doe. To me, a shooter buck is simply one that meets my own personal criteria. So is a shooter doe. I usually target doe fawns when I’m targeting a doe if she’s a shooter it means she’s young and tender!

15-Nov-18
I’m with TD. Shooters come and go depending on the freezer demands and such. But, I prefer Hooters any day. Now it’s just my wife’s that I actually get to enjoy. But, I still admire them all. Hooters rock.

15-Nov-18
"My opinion is, who cares, life is too short to get caught up in this. Really, it's time to move on and look at the big picture. I will let you figure what the big picture is. BC "

My opinion is that if you are reading and posting here you are already caught up in this.

15-Nov-18
I was not a fan of the term but it is efficient and people understand it. It is OK.

15-Nov-18
I thought down south a shooter was called a Jont!

BTW, for me a shooter changes from season to season, day to day, even hour to hour sometimes. LOL. This year after not having any venison last year and nearly this year, I settled for the smallest antlered buck I've ever shot. I had come to the point where the next deer that offered a shot was getting an arrow pointed in it's direction. A 2.5-3" spike had a bad day yesterday. His tenderloins were delicious.

15-Nov-18

Craig's embedded Photo
Craig's embedded Photo
Shooter

15-Nov-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
LOL, Fred Eichler posted a pic of his wife and a young buck she shot. I guess she got razzed, so he replied by posting the photo and saying this: "My instructional photo on the best way to score a deer. This is for the two guys that asked why my wife would shoot a young buck"

Love that guy, he knows what he enjoys doing and sticks to it. Doesn't succumb to outside pressures and you have to love that.

15-Nov-18
it just means a legal buck/bull in my family....today until the 21st the shooters don't have antlers

15-Nov-18
Hijack Alert!

What about "Gross Boone/Booner"? Now that is a term that I'm sure most love....................

15-Nov-18
Great pic. Never seen Fred without a great attitude. And he walks the walk! NA 28 or 29 with a stickbow.

16-Nov-18
In my opinion a shooter is the animal he or she decides to take if your happy with what you shot than as an outfitter I’m happy. It’s not about the kill it’s about the experience. Happy hunting

16-Nov-18
lopro, how will that deer feel once he hears you called him a non shooter? he might be offended and get a complex, all his reindeer friends would call him names... nah nah nah nah nah nah so and so is a non shooter, he cant rut with us shooters! LOL ;o)

16-Nov-18
Man, I saw a shooter yesterday, a total toad, but that horse of a buck was over the boundary on private land so I just took a picture...guess he wasn't actually a shooter? I saw a bunch a forkies rutting all over the place too, but my freezers are getting pretty full and it was going to take a real big buck for me to pull the trigger, so I decided they weren't shooters either...I was rifle hunting too, and no one here wants to here about hunts like that anyway, so carry on!

16-Nov-18
Doesn't succumb to outside pressure? Looks like he has a Yeti cooler, wearing a Kenetrek hoodie, and a Leupold hat just like all the other tv hunters... but I don't think you can see the brand on his tape measure. ;^)

16-Nov-18
That Steve guy, the MEAT EATER says "shooter"

16-Nov-18
I say we all go with MacDaddy!

16-Nov-18
"Doesn't succumb to outside pressure? Looks like he has a Yeti cooler, wearing a Kenetrek hoodie, and a Leupold hat just like all the other tv hunters... but I don't think you can see the brand on his tape measure. ;^)"

That's just called business Franzen. If someone paid you to wear a hoodie it would be your choice whether or not you want to do it, but if you don't you are saying no to business not peer pressure. Fred has decided to be in the outdoor business.

16-Nov-18
I gave up using the word shooter also and now prefer “bomber”.

One step up from shooter.

Another good definer is “no doubt shooter”!

17-Nov-18
I had a freind who was a shooter but also looking at a shooter that he decided not to shoot. I said shoot, shoot, shoot shooter but he replied he wasn’t a shooter. We would have wasted so much time talking if we would not have used the word shooter!

17-Nov-18
I've known Fred since he was a teenager, proud to call him a friend. He is genuine as it gets. He turned what we love doing into a career, and nobody should care what sponsor gear he uses or wears. We all use gear that manufacturers give us.

And yes, he was the first Super Slammer with a trad bow.

17-Nov-18
Lou I prefer to smoke a crusher, instead of crushing a smoker! When I hear the term smoker All I can picture is my sister in law hacking her lungs up. I know lots of people in Co nowadays smoking hooters but that’s a different reference all together. It’s all so confusing. I’m still a fan of my Grandpas term “Wall Hanger”

17-Nov-18
One other thing about Freddie - he never got caught up in the celebrity "trophy" mentality. He's not shy about admitting he will shoot a forkie if the opportunity is presented. Always has been that way, still is.

18-Nov-18
Man guys, you two are about the last ones I would've expected to take that seriously, but I guess everyone makes a mistake now and then. ;^)

18-Nov-18
I'm no longer saying Shooter, either BIGDaddyRabbit or babydaddyrabbit.

• Sitka Gear