Alexis Desjardins 17-Nov-18
GF 17-Nov-18
Zbone 22-Nov-18
Surfbow 24-Nov-18
Zbone 25-Nov-18
15-Nov-18

Alexis Desjardins's embedded Photo
Found this guy yesterday at our place was wondering if u know what kind of hawk it is he died hanging upside down never seen that before, he forgot to go south. We’re in manitoba.

15-Nov-18
Funny, I had a red wing blackbird do the exact thing last week. I think they just get sick and die on their roost still clutching the perch.

15-Nov-18
Maybe ingested something foreign and died while perched. Strange!!

15-Nov-18

U would think they would let go when they die but not always,

15-Nov-18
Ate too many bats?

15-Nov-18
Looks like a Red Tail Hawk.

15-Nov-18
My Parakeet died like that (of old age), when I was a kid :^(

15-Nov-18
Yeah, it's a Red Tail Hawk... The most common hawk in North America...

15-Nov-18
he is playing possum and just waiting for a squirrel to come too close and then it will be dinner time

15-Nov-18
scary cat got him..

15-Nov-18
Thanks, it does have a reddish tail.

15-Nov-18
No Greg the fox got scary cat yesterday, the fox got some pellets this morning.

15-Nov-18
Alex - It actually looks like a dark phase of a Red Tail, notice the dark colored chest... Think they are more common out west, but here in the Midwest they are usually lighter color phases, and here in Ohio most usually don't migrate south but say year round... Google Red tail Hawk and you'll see different colors of them...

Here's a good linky:

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/featured_photo/bird.cfm?pix=Red-tailed_Hawk

15-Nov-18
Don't know about hawks but turkeys have a bone in their ankle that locks in when they roost so they don't have to hang on all night.

15-Nov-18
I took a look zbone there is a lot of different red tails one was close. Thanks for the info guys.

16-Nov-18
Years ago I found an dead owl that was “perched” much the same way. Old age? LOL Alexis about the fox getting pellets... gonna miss that little scary cat. 8~)

16-Nov-18
When I was a kid a hawk was sitting on the power lines by our house and got zapped during a rainstorm, he swung over upside down and hung that way for months. Finally the body rotted off and just the legs were left, they were there for almost two years.

16-Nov-18
it may quite possibly be West Nile Virus. How long have mosquitoes been dormant in your area? Have you seen and sick or dead crows, ravens, jays or magpies in the area?

16-Nov-18
elkmtngr, I too had a pet Parakeet when i was younger, next to my Lab in intelligence and just a great pet.

16-Nov-18
Hey Alex, was watching the Packers/Seahawks game last night and the Seahawks mascot is a Red-tailed Hawk, and a unique colored one at that... Has a white chest with a real dark colored back... A few years ago, I seen a pure white one two years in a row in the same area... I have a long range cell phone photo of it if anyone is interested...

As for why your hawk died like that, wouldn't know but everything has to die someway, could have been naturally...

16-Nov-18
Probably August the last time I got a mosquito bite, when I got west Nile I got it right after spring season a matter of a couple weeks not sure but I don’t think westnile. He was hunting birds here even when the first snows came then I thought he went south but he did not. No other birds dead in the area maybe the cold got him. That’s pretty neat seeing a white one zone, last year I seen a hawk mid winter the color of a snow owl white with speckles of grey first time ever but they say there is some. Chuck I’m not going to miss scary cat u couldn’t get him away from the house after u guys left lol.

16-Nov-18
That was our goal Alexis! 8~) Never been a cat guy but those little kittens last fall were a lot of fun. I suppose they all grow to be cats. Hope you & April are doing well!

17-Nov-18

grape's embedded Photo
grape's embedded Photo
That cat was a trained killer when we left.

17-Nov-18
And also a trouble maker lol, Ibow we r doing great hope alls well with you’s, Grape good luck in Saskatchewan this week text me some updates. Blessings

17-Nov-18
A “Seahawk”’is an Osprey. Kinda doubt the football team would have a Redtail for their mascot instead.

And yep. Birds have foot structure that locks the tendon in place so that it requires no effort to stay perched. That’s how they sleep.

But I suspect it takes something unusual to get them to stay locked up when the legs extend. Probably something neurological, like lead or some other toxin. Lots of raptors die after eating critters that have been poisoned. Hate that kind of stuff.

22-Nov-18
Actually there is no such thing as a "Seahawk", there are Seaeagles though, but not hawks... Seen a piece of coach Pete Carol talking about it too... They use a Red-tailed for a mascot because it is a hawk...

24-Nov-18
We just had this discussion with my in-laws at Thanksgiving so I had to go and inform myself...The Seattle Seahawks live mascot is actually an augur hawk, which comes from Africa and is not a seafaring bird at all. The USFW would not allow the Seahawks to use an osprey commercially because it's a native bird of prey so they had to find something that looked similar.

25-Nov-18
Surfbow - "The Seattle Seahawks live mascot is actually an augur hawk"

Wow, did not know that... Thanks for sharing...

The few times I seen it they only showed it briefly... Knew it had a unique color for a Red-Tailed... I just looked "Augur Hawk" up, their classification is Buteos, same as our Red-Tails, so I imagine they are biologically closely related, yet a different species on different continents... Also, I didn't know native birds of prey were not allowed to be used commercially, makes sense... Again, thanks for sharing...

• Sitka Gear