adogg437 27-Oct-20
Bowboy 27-Oct-20
SteveB 27-Oct-20
pav 27-Oct-20
Rupe 02-Nov-20
16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
I had the privilege to hunt Iowa for the first time last week and let me just say it is everything it is cracked up to be! I flew out on Sunday, November 4th and got to the farm a little before noon. A couple practice shots found that my bow made it safely and I was soon on my way to the stand for an afternoon hunt.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
The forecast for the week was perfect, cold all week which should have the deer up on their feet searching for those first does to come into estrus.

I got set up around 12:30, in some hard woods between a picked corn field and a cedar thicket and it didn't take long for the show to start. I saw a number of different bucks that afternoon including some nice ones but not quite what I was looking for.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
A bowsite staple!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
The first buck I saw on stand, a definitive shooter at home but not when you are in the land of giants.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Sunday Afternoons hunt came to a close and I had seen more bucks in one afternoon that I would typically see in a full week of hunting back at home and most were bigger than what I would consider a shooter at home. To say I was pumped up would be an understatement.

The plan was to hunt full day sits, which is not something I normally do at home as mid day activity is rare by me. Depending on the wind I would jump around the farm and try to cross paths with a deer that people come to Iowa for.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Monday the wind came out of the south, which found me hunting on the North side of the farm, which was also in a cedar thicket. With the south wind also came rain, all day long. Sitting in the rain in 40 degree temps with a 14 mph wind wasn't exactly the most fun thing I have done but luckily I brought a tree umbrella so it made it bearable. I kept telling myself that the one could walk by at any second. The day went on and I only saw two bucks.

16-Nov-18
Iowa rocks.

What is on your boots, duct tape!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Tuesday brought a North west wind and another 40 degree day. I was slightly under dressed for the temps but I wouldn't have time to notice today as it was non stop action. I saw deer basically all day long. I was back in the stand that I hunted on Sunday afternoon. Although I was seeing deer, the majority of deer I was seeing were to my west up a rise. I was seeing some great bucks and some nice action. Almost every deer that I saw was pinching through the same spot on the side of the rise but from where I was I couldn't tell why.

Keep in mind that home for me is New Jersey, where a 120" buck is a very very nice deer. Our buck to doe ratio is also way out of whack and we do not typically see the rut activity that you read about or see on tv. Obviously my goal for the hunt was to arrow a giant but I was also looking forward to seeing bucks fighting, chasing, grunting and what not. I forgot to mention that one of the bucks I saw on Monday gave a loud snort wheeze right after I grunted to him, how cool is that!

Being that I never rattle at home, around 10:30 there was a little lull in so I hit the horns together. After a short 30-40 second rattling session, I put them down and grabbed my bow. 2 minutes later I heard foot steps and my heart started pounding. Out walked a VERY nice buck. If his sides matched he would be pushing 170"! His right side was a giant 5 and his left was a funky 4 pt. He came in bristled up looking for what bucks were making a racket in his domain. He came in broadside at 5 yards and my release was on the string and I was at full draw......

And I let down. He was a great buck and fully mature and if his sides matched he was a no brainer but the rest of the week ahead of me and a perfect forecast, I let him walk. I hope that this doesn't come back to bite me at the end of the hunt.

I had a nice turkey and ham sandwich with some mustard at lunch and then saw non stop action all afternoon. Again most of the deer were pinching through the same spot on the side of the rise so around 2 my feet were frozen so I got down and walked the 50 yards or so to where the deer were pinching and found that a fallen tree had smashed a barbed wire fence there. The deer were walking in the timber along the field edge, then dropping down the ridge, crossing the barbed wire fence and continuing down into the cedars. The place was hot and screamed that it was the spot to be. That night I got a climber and knew were I was going the following morning.

16-Nov-18
Charlie- Yes Iowa does!!!!! Those are insulated muck boots, they did the job ok I guess.

Now back to the story!!!

16-Nov-18
Wednesday Morning- November 7th. High of 40 degrees, clear skies and 15-20 MPH winds. I took the climber and got set up about an hour before light. As the sun came up so did the deer action. This time I was at ground zero and I had deer coming by what seemed like all day at point blank range. I was in THE Spot!! I had never felt so confident of a spot as I did in this location. I saw some nice bucks, including a 140" 8 pt with a nice deep split G2 and a number of does. I saw bucks chasing and grunting and acting just like they are supposed to during the rut. The bad news was that the wind was cutting right through me and I was freezing. Around 11:30 or so I couldn't feel my feet or my fingers and I was badly wanting to get down and go for a walk to warm up. The wind also started to come out of the west more which was pushing it into the path of the deer once they crossed the fence so I decided to get down and go sit a bean field for the afternoon on the North East side of the farm. I got down and snuck out without being detected.

16-Nov-18
Hunting with an outfitter? DIY?

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
I got in the stand around 1, which was located in the back left corner of the field. The tree was about 15 yards off the corner in the field so beans actually wrapped around the stand. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much till later in the afternoon when I thought the deer would pour into the field to feed. Around 1:30 I heard deer fighting in the timber off the right side of the farm. They fought for around 2 minutes. After a minute of silence, I decided to do a couple grunts to see if I could pull one of those bucks into the field and see what it was. I finished my grunts and focused back on the timber where I heard the noise. 30 seconds later I heard a grunt directly to my left and I just about fell out of me stand. There was a buck that dreams are made of. He was walking down the field edge and was about to walk into the thicket. I quickly turned back to my right and grabbed my bow and by the time I turned back to my left he was 20 yards away but was in the thicket offering no shot. I couldn't see his rack clearly through the thicket but you could tell this was a buck that dreams were made of. He stood there for a few seconds and then walked away. I grunted a few times to try to draw him back out but it was to no avail. I sat there in disbelief thinking that I may have just squandered my opportunity at a buck of many many life times and I was just praying that he would come back to check the field once it filled up with does around dusk. I saw some more smaller bucks for the remainder of the day and to my surprise, I only saw two does at dusk feeding in the beans, and needless to say, the buck never came back.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Here is the little opening that he walked into and disappeared into the thicket. He walked down the field edge to the left and walked into the cedars where that little grassy spot with the sun in the center of the picture is. Man what an animal.

16-Nov-18
Good read so far. Keep it coming, Rob!

BTW......I love me some Iowa whitetail hunting too! ;-)

16-Nov-18
Keep typing! I got five more cold hours to sit and I need the excitement.

16-Nov-18
Thursday November 8th- High of 30 and a NW wind at 5 mph.

I went to find a stand on the East side of the farm which was close to where I saw the giant the night before. Long story short- I couldn't find the stand and after looking for a half hour, I started sweating pretty good due to all the layers I had on. I immediately know I was in for a cold day. I finally gave up on the idea of the new stand and went back to my climber where I had seen the previous action. This was on the direct opposite side of the farm that I had seen the big one but with the wind, it was my best option. I climbed up the tree and got settled in and immediately had a deer walk through and cross the fence in the dark. It was a buck and it was grunting with every step. I couldn't help but think it was him and wishing he had walked through 20 minutes later in the light. Oh well.

First light- 6:25- I had a spike cross the fence. Shortly after I had a doe and a fan cross. this is the 4th deer of the morning and all crossed the fence at 15 yards.

7:00am- I looked to my west, and saw a giant buck walking down the ridge from my left to my right. It was the buck from the night before!!! He was in no major hurry and when he reached the bottom of the ridge he was on, he stood there for a minute or two, looked around then dropped down into some small cedars. I tried to grunt and he looked but didn't come my way. After 5 minutes or so I decided to rattle to try to draw him in but that didn't do anything either.

7:20- Three coyotes followed the same path the buck took and entered the small patch of cedars and I saw a couple deer come flying out of the other side running directly away from me. DAMN YOU COYOTES!!!! The second time he walked out of my life. Would there be a third opportunity and would I make it count?

8:00am- I had a button buck walk by. At this point due to sweating so much in morning I was really starting to get cold and starting to question if I could stay in stand all day long. I also checked the forecast and it was calling for a high of 28 the next day with 30 mph winds and there was no way I could sit all day in that. I was praying my opportunity would come soon and come quickly.

9:00am- I was shivering when I looked to my left where the picked corn met the timber and I saw a nice 130" 10 pt heading down the same ridge that the big buck went down. This buck was also taking his sweet time. He got about halfway down the ridge when his demeanor changed. He stared down towards the cedars at the bottom of the ridge and I focused my binoculars there and out popped the big 5x4. The big one bristled up and marched up the ridge to fight the 10 pt but the 10 ran off away from me. He know who was the boss and didn't want to tangle with the 9. I was frozen solid and I thought with a couple days left to go but with absolutely brutal temps that I didn't know if I could sit through, if the big 9 walked by I may shoot him. I grunted, he looked then continued on, I snort wheezed, he looked and then continued on, following the direction that the 10 pt ran off in. Once he was out of sight I hit the horns together and he did turn back to look, but then turned again and walked away. It was now about 9:15 and I was frozen solid.

16-Nov-18
I think you're hunting about an hour from my house, but I live in Nebraska. I've got a friend with a huge chunk of farmland in Iowa that I can hunt anytime and I've never taken him up on it. You may be persuading me to apply for a tag over there!

16-Nov-18
9:20am- I catch movement to my left at the field edge, I put my binos on the area and immediately see a giant rack. I couldn't tell what it was but it was huge. I saw it for a split second when it ran off away from me. The way the buck ran though, I could tell that he was chasing a doe. I was praying that the doe would come down the draw and cross the fence where the majority of the other deer had done the past few days.

16-Nov-18
9:23am- All is quiet when I suddenly hear the unmistakable noise of a deer running on fallen leaves. From the direction where I had just seen the big buck, a lone mature doe came running 50 yards down the draw where she slowed to a walk. Her mouth was open and her tongue was hanging out and she was panting like a dog. There was hardly any wind, maybe 1 mph but it was going perfectly from her to me. With each breath steam would come out from her mouth. If I was able to get video of this it would be priceless. I immediately stood up as I knew whatever buck or bucks were chasing her would soon be on their way. I grabbed my bow and readied myself. She stood at a fork in the path, one would take her to the fence crossing which would put her and whatever buck was chasing her at 15 yards and the other would take her down the draw and out of my life. Time stood still and she made a right and started coming to the fence crossing. I vividly remember thinking "This is going to get interesting quickly". Still no buck in site behind her though.

16-Nov-18
9:24- The doe is closing in slowly on the fence crossing when I suddenly hear the crunching of leaves following her. As you can imagine, my heart starts to beat faster and harder. All of a sudden, there he is, 75 yards away is the buck that I had seen the night before and earlier this morning. It was the first time I was able to get a really good look at him. He was a mega giant, a buck that you only see on the cover of magazines, but yet somehow here is, 75 yards away and closing.

The doe now gets to the fence crossing, which is to my right about 15 yards away. Instead of crossing it and dropping into the cedars, she stops, turns parallel to the fence and walks down it 10 more yards and stops and browses on some leaves on a branch 25 yards away.

The buck is now about 50 yards away and directly in front of me and coming. There is a small rise between us and he breaks to his left (my right) at a 45 degree angle and is now walking directly to the doe. I am now in kill mode. He passes behind an oak tree and I come to full draw. He is a giant, easily 250 pounds! I figure he is at 30 yards and the pin is tracking him. He isn't walking quickly and as his front right leg takes the next step forward I stop him. "Maaaw". He stops and looks my way. The pin finds the crease behind his front let and the arrow is on its way...............

16-Nov-18
Only to fly directly under him!!!! Are you freaking kidding me?!!!!!!!!! I just missed the shot of a deer of many many life times. The buck takes two jumps directly away from me. The doe has no clue any of this has happened and she is still munching on some leaves. The buck stops and turns around to face me. Looking back on it all, the combination of the buck being much bigger body wise, about 100 pounds larger, than what I see at home, I figured he was closer to me than he actually was. I later ranged where he was and he was at 40 yards.

16-Nov-18
And you woke up and it was all a dream.

16-Nov-18
While this happened, I quickly grabbed and knocked another arrow and my release was on the string. I am not a religious man but I would be lying if I said I wasn't praying non stop for a second shot opportunity. The doe looked at the buck then went back to feeding. The buck was about 50 yards off to my right at about a 45 degree angle. He stood looking uphill, past me for about 20 seconds when all of a sudden, he took a step towards me, then another, and another. He kept coming up the hill from my right with the small rise between us and the low bush covering his vitals. He kept looking up the hill for what made the noise that was the bow going off.

Keep in mind that when I missed under him, he was at the top of this small rise, so when I shot under him, the arrow never hit the ground and it flew and lodged in to the next small rise 50-60 yards downhill and behind him. Had the arrow hit the ground and leaves and made a ton of noise I may be telling a different story but luck was on my side.

The buck is now standing 25 yards directly in front of me, broadside, facing left and looking up the hill. Brush is blocking his vitals but no shot. The doe is 25 yards to my right still and still browsing. The buck is looking uphill and to my left. Time stands still as he looks for what made that noise. It appears as though he had temporarily forgotten about the doe. 30 seconds goes by, then a minute, then a minute and a half. I am now totally in Kill mode and I am pissed that I missed the first shot. He is SOO close but I still have no opportunity and then it happens.

The doe takes two steps and the leaves crunching cut through the still cold air like a hot knife though butter. The buck immediately snaps his head around, sees her and remembers what he was doing before he was interrupted by my first shot. He turns and now again for the second time is coming from directly in front of me to my right at a 45 degree angle, this time he is closer. There is a small 4' tall cedar that I ranged that morning at 22 yards and it looks like he is going to walk directly behind it in a few more steps. He passes behind the same oak and I am again coming to full draw. My 20 top pin is tracking him and is glowing bright green on his sweet spot. A couple more steps and he passes directly behind the cedar. He clears the cedar and the bow goes off. The arrow cuts through the still air and disappears exactly where I was aiming!!!!

The buck takes off down the hill, with the bottom of the hill being about 50 yards away. He is out of sight for a quick second before I see him start to come up the ridge where I saw him that morning. He got about 20 yards up the ridge when he stopped and fell over!!! He was done.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
It didn't fully register what had just happened. I hung my bow up, sat back down and looked to my right and the doe was still standing there. I sat quietly for about a minute in a state of shock. Had I really just taken a deer that dreams are made of? The doe walked off and brought me back to reality. I looked back down the hill where the buck laid and this is what I saw...........

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
I called my father and told him what happened and he was obviously happy for me. I quickly text a few friends, packed my stuff and then climbed down the tree. Imagine this, I wasn't frozen solid anymore for some reason! There was no tracking needed, but I had a good blood trail. Halfway down the hill this was my sight. His rack is getting bigger!!!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
A few more quick steps and here was my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow................

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo

16-Nov-18
Good Lord!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo

16-Nov-18
gorgeous buck and great story. Adds a little excitement to a Friday afternoon at the office.

16-Nov-18
Whoa.... Great buck, congrats!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
It was surreal putting my hands on him. How could something this magnificent actually exist. How lucky was I to cross paths with him....

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
What are the odds that I would even get an opportunity at him, only to blow it?

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
And what are the odds that I would get a second opportunity and capitalize on it?

16-Nov-18
Agree BadlandsRoger, sitting here in the office and reading this sure got my heart to thumpin'! Awesome Iowa whitetail njbuck!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
I was in total disbelief and I just sat there admiring the most beautiful animal that I had ever seen in my life.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
A couple quick calls and help was on its way to get him out of the woods.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Once we got him back to camp, we took pictures and relieved the moment over and over again. To be honest, it still didn't sink in.

16-Nov-18
Oh man, dream buck! Very well told story also. Congrats! Gotta know the score on that beast

16-Nov-18
Congratulations I would have blown it!!!

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
The giant weighed 254 pounds on the scale and we broke out the tape and started writing down numbers. When the ink dried and we entered the numbers I could not believe the number that came up when we hit the equal button......... 214"!!!!!

16-Nov-18
Great read and awesome buck! Congrats!

16-Nov-18
My goodness, what a buck! Huge congrats to you!

16-Nov-18
Congrats. Great story and great buck!

16-Nov-18
Wow! That is a GIANT!!!! Nice job!

16-Nov-18
Thanks for sharing, and congrats on a great buck! Been waiting for some great stories to be shared and this one did not disappoint!

16-Nov-18
You don't even have to try to make that one look big. He's an amazing deer. Congratulations.

16-Nov-18
Awesome read. That is an incredible buck too.

Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Awesome, awesome and one more awesome!!

Great story to go with a fantastic buck! Congratulations on keeping it together after being so rattled by the first shot. Not your last trip to Iowa, I’ll bet.

16-Nov-18

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
The rest of the afternoon and night found myself walking out to the shed to admire him. What an animal. One I know that I am blessed to even see, let alone take.

The following day we took care of the buck and I was able to change my flight and jump on a direct flight home. I packed my gear and the rack and cape and headed west to Omaha, checked in, had a bloody mary and enjoyed the flight home reliving the moment over and over again.

A few hours later I landed in Newark and went and got my bags and somehow the tote with the rack was no where to be found!!!!! I was going insane, how could they possibly lose an irreplaceable item? After about a half hour and me begging the airline to go check the plane again, they finally agreed and went on the plane and found that they never took it off the plane! To say I was relieved was an understatement!

My first trip to Iowa will never be topped, but I am looking forward to trying the second I can draw another bow tag in a few years!!!!!

16-Nov-18
Oh my goodness gracious holy moly what a buck and what a STORY!!!! Congrats WOW!!! Congratulations - very cool!!! What a buck!!

16-Nov-18
Incredible deer man!! Thanks for posting the story too!

16-Nov-18
wow

16-Nov-18
I swear I've heard this story before. Congrats again buddy!!!

16-Nov-18
oh my......................

16-Nov-18
WOW, GREAT buck, many CONGRATS!!!

16-Nov-18
Terrific story and awesome buck! Congrats.

16-Nov-18
Congrats man!!!

16-Nov-18
Congrats !! Thanks for sharing !

16-Nov-18
Damn that’s a monster congrats!

16-Nov-18
OH DEER!!!!!!!

16-Nov-18
Crusher! congrats on a great buck

16-Nov-18
GIANT...Congrats

16-Nov-18
Sheesh. WOW. What a deer.

16-Nov-18
WOW!!! Great story and buck.

16-Nov-18
Oh my, that’s a giant. Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Wow! If I were telling that story I would have left out the part where I peed my pants when I saw him too! Ha! Such an amazing, beautiful animal. Awesome story telling too! Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Congrats! Dream buck right there!

16-Nov-18
Outstanding....great story also...congrats!!

16-Nov-18
Congrats I came down with a serious case of buck fever reading your posts

16-Nov-18
I think that's a SHOOTER! Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Much congrats. Truly a buck of a lifetime. Enjoy every minute!

16-Nov-18
Made my heart drop when you said airline lost him. I would have been in jail for sure if I thought they lost a buck like that of mine. Awesome story and magnificent animal. Congratulations.

16-Nov-18
Absolutely unreal. While luck may have played a part, you played yours by passing up many bucks that most would be thrilled with. And the results are astounding. Congrats and my goodness that buck is photogenic

16-Nov-18
Woohoo! Awesome story, awesome buck. Incredible!

16-Nov-18
Congrats!! Great story...thanks for sharing!!

16-Nov-18
What a Buck man. Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Well, I'm a meat hunter, so I would have shot the doe but whatever.

hahahaha....Congrats man and thanks for the story! GIANT!

16-Nov-18
So are you on a lease, friend, or outfitter?

16-Nov-18
Truly a world class animal with a story to match.

I'm really happy for you. Thanks for the story, it's one of the best I've ever read.

16-Nov-18
Great story and great buck. I'm with Midwest, I'd probably have shot the doe and then regretted it. Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Congrats on an awesome buck! Thanks for sharing the hunt. I'll be in the "land of the giants" next year and can't wait!

16-Nov-18
What a buck, I mean SHOOTER! SHOOTER! SHOOTER! Congrats and nice story.

16-Nov-18
Huge congrats again Rob!! I don’t get on here like I used to but I been checking periodically waiting for you to post. You really deserved that buck after everything that’s been going on. Was awesome to hear this story when you call myself and buzz from Iowa. All I can say is good luck ever topping that buck!!! Congrats again bro!!!

16-Nov-18
Congrats on a super buck!

16-Nov-18
Oh my my my!!!!! What a PIG!! Congrats man. Buck of ten lifetimes. Wow!

16-Nov-18
Fan-freakin-tastic. Huge congrats to you!

Are you considering applying to Iowa in the future?

16-Nov-18
Fabulous buck, and a great story! Thanks for taking the time to share such a wonderful experience.

16-Nov-18
Wow!

Now that is one hell of a monster whitetail!

Spectacular job of holding it together after the first shot and not losing your mind while he was still right there, then making a perfect shot with that second arrow!

Stone. Cold. Killer.

Congratulations!

16-Nov-18
Awesome buck and an even better story. You made me feel like I was in that tree stand, too.

16-Nov-18
Cant say more than what has been said.... other than Well done on a beauty!

16-Nov-18
What a story and what a gorgeous buck. Congrats on a surreal experience.

16-Nov-18
Amazing buck. Grats!

16-Nov-18
Unreal!!! Congrats to you and an amazing buck!

16-Nov-18
Good deal. Congratulations

16-Nov-18
Dream it then make it happen. You did well. Congrats!

16-Nov-18
Rob, nicely done all around, --story , hunt, kill. Dreams that are made, for sure. You did good! my best, Paul

16-Nov-18

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
The wide-ass buck Jack effed up on!
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
The wide-ass buck Jack effed up on!
Congrats Rob -buck of a lifetime doesn't quite seem to do that one justice. Hell I blew the shot on THIS buck on 11/4, thought it was 22 yards and it was 29 and the arrow zipped just under his heart and never touched him. Like your buck, I nearly got him again - he had no clue he nearly lost his life was just focused on the doe.. I would have had an aneurysm crapped myself if that buck u got gave me a shot (own a rangefinder now, it's about time after 34 years of bowhunting). Could not be happier for a fellow bowhunter, you did NJ proud. AND - you did it with your climber - you saw what was going on, read the wind, the sign, and knew where that stand had to go. That buck deserves cover of NA Whitetail - as I told you a few days ago. Glad you posted it up here. As it gets easier and easier to pass up bucks I used to salivate over - YOUR buck makes it even easier. I should be able to draw Iowa next year - looking forward to it. I just hope for a 170 class buck. Maybe, just maybe I could keep it together to make a lethal shot on a 170... DEFINITELY not a 214! LOL

16-Nov-18
Awesome, thanks for taking us along. Forrest

16-Nov-18
Awesome buck NJ!! Great job. I spent two weeks in Iowa last year and it was incredible. I didn’t have your success, but it was an amazing trip. Iowa is amazing. Congrats on an awesome buck!!

16-Nov-18
So how many guys just googled Carter Lake and started looking at draws? lol

16-Nov-18
Amazing..

16-Nov-18
WOW just wow! Great story also.

16-Nov-18
Wow!! Great buck!!

Lee

16-Nov-18
Really enjoyed the story. Great buck. Congrats

17-Nov-18
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

17-Nov-18
You just ruined the rest of your Whitetail hunting career. How do you top that? Be chasing the dragon from here on...Great story and an amazing buck! Congrats!

17-Nov-18
Dang NJ a perfect hunt. Savor the moment because hunting is hunting.

Congratulations on a great season. I’m

17-Nov-18
Congrats!

17-Nov-18
Great read and congrats on a truly amazing buck. Thanks for sharing.

17-Nov-18
Congrats great hunt

17-Nov-18
Yes, Iowa is a great state to hunt whitetails! Do come back Rob!!

17-Nov-18
Wow. Thanks for sharing!! What a deer. Hunt

17-Nov-18
Beauty! Congratulations!

17-Nov-18
Great buck!

17-Nov-18
Nice buck. Private, lease, outfitter?

17-Nov-18
What an absolute stud, congratulations.

17-Nov-18
Rob, you need to put this buck's picture on the meatpole thread.

17-Nov-18
What a deer! Congrats thanks for sharing

17-Nov-18
That is a GREAT buck, congrats sir

17-Nov-18
awesome buck and story! Thanks for taking us along,

17-Nov-18
What an incredible buck, Rob! Way to make it pay off when you got your second chance. A huge congrats!

17-Nov-18
NICE ! Everything after that day you shoot will be a disapointment

17-Nov-18
As has already been said many times ..... WOW .... good things come to those who wait. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

17-Nov-18
Awesome, Congratulations

18-Nov-18
Awesome deer and story! Perfect Sunday morning read

18-Nov-18
Wow....just Wow. The buck being lifted by the tractor is a different buck....but they are BOTH nice bucks!!

18-Nov-18
That is a dandy one...congrats!! Well written story too.

Is that a different buck on the John Deere bucket? The right antler looks quite different than yours? Maybe the angle??

18-Nov-18
That is a buck of many lifetimes right there! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

18-Nov-18
Hell of a buck, hell of a story, you did good.

18-Nov-18
Wow!! Awesome deer and a great story to boot! Congrats man, definitely a deer of a lifetime!

18-Nov-18
Holy buck Batman!! Congratulations!!!

19-Nov-18
Wow is right! I hope you are still riding the high! A HUGE Congrats and thank you very much for sharing! MO

19-Nov-18
Wow! Incredible deer. Congrats.

I too am curious if it was private, public, outfitter etc. Like you, I have never hunted Iowa.I have enough points to hunt any zone as a non res. Would love to hear more about it.

19-Nov-18
Absolutely awesome buck and story, congratulations!!!

19-Nov-18
O my goodness. Congrats!

what was your bow setup?

19-Nov-18
My GOSH man! I don't have any words! CONGRATS on a buck of many lifetimes!!!

19-Nov-18
Congrats on your buck of a lifetime!!!! Iowa is truly the land of giants. I hope to hunt there again someday.

19-Nov-18
CONGRATULATIONS... awesome buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now post your own "man up" video after the recovery. That buck deserves one.

19-Nov-18
CONGRATS!

19-Nov-18
GREAT STORY!!

CONGRATS!!

19-Nov-18
Doh!!! What a buck, and great story! Many congrats!

19-Nov-18
Wisconsin and Illinois have more B&C and P&Y entries but Iowa is indeed a special place. Congrats again!

19-Nov-18
Congrats again, my man. Incredible.

19-Nov-18
Great buck! Congrats!!!

20-Nov-18
Great story even better outcome!!!! thanks for sharing! You went thru my neck of the woods in Nebraska and your timing for hunting big bucks was great!

20-Nov-18
Congratulations, what an animal!

21-Nov-18
WOW!!

You did great

I just got back from Zone-5, what a wonderful experience for me

Congrats njbuck

Good luck, Robb

21-Nov-18
Congrats!

21-Nov-18
amazing deer with a great story!

21-Nov-18
You might reconsider the non religious statement you had to say a prayer over that one congrats great buck and story Lewis

14-Jan-19

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Well the 60 day drying period has come and went. On Saturday morning I went to visit bowsite's own "Shug". Mark is one hell of a good guy and he is both a P&Y and B&C measurer. Mark has measured some animals of mine in the past and we stay in touch though out the season. Mark got to work putting the tape on my buck. When it was all said and done we tallied up the totals. 214 7/8" Gross Non Typical 204 4/8" Net Non Typical.

The buck not only qualifies for P&Y but also will qualify for B&C! What an outstanding animal. Thank you again Mark for taking the time to measure him.

14-Jan-19

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Life is great as a bowhunter!!!!

14-Jan-19
Awesome...congrats again!

14-Jan-19
Congrats again on a world class buck!

14-Jan-19
Thanks for following up with the score results. Congrats again on that monster!

14-Jan-19
Congrats!

14-Jan-19
Congrats!

14-Jan-19
No archery animal harder to get than a Whitetail that nets B&C All time! Hats off sir! C

14-Jan-19
I missed this first time around....What a beast congrats!

14-Jan-19
Congrats again! Thanks for tying up the story

14-Jan-19
Love that deer and the story! Congrats, Rob!

14-Jan-19
I grew up bowhunting in NJ and besides all the congratulations you deserve, plus all the thanks due you for nicely sharing such a dream; all I can say is it's going to be rather hard hunting those anemic Jersey deer after taking that Iowa beauty! A big congrats and many thanks for the great write up.

14-Jan-19
When scoring the buck, what is the blue tape for....to mark the position of the base of the tine (where it meets the main beam)?.....or something else?

14-Jan-19
Great story, and a great buck. Congrats. That would take some intestinal fortitude to have to re-nock after a miss and take another shot at that whopper.

14-Jan-19
Great story... missed it when ya first posted it.. Congrats again and TY for allowing me to score it for ya!!

Please turn the photo I look fat at that angle

14-Jan-19
Jake, I'm not an official measurer, but yes that is what the blue tape is for. It looks like Shug is using red to mark the abnormals and blue to mark the base lines.

Congrats on a great buck!

14-Jan-19
Franzen is correct Jake

14-Jan-19
Amazing animal and story! After the miss and still hold it together . Impressive

14-Jan-19
My name is Buck and I'm here to... Kill a huge BUCK! Hell yea! Thanks for bringing this one back because I missed it in November. Awesome deer and even better story. Thanks for the write up.

14-Jan-19
That's a smoking buck!! Congrats!

14-Jan-19
A guys sees a lot of pictures over their lifetimes of 200+ inch deer, but I don't know what it is about that buck it is just handsomer than the rest. That is such a stud buck. Congrats on a dream fulfilled.

14-Jan-19
What a beast!

14-Jan-19
Awesome buck! Congrats!

19-Aug-20
Re-read this thread again. Just fantastic, love that I get to chase bucks in Iowa each year.

Havent seen any like that however!

Congrats again sir

19-Aug-20
Well done a giant for sure congrats.

26-Oct-20

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Well the story has now come full circle. I got the mount back home yesterday and I could not be more happy with how it came out.

26-Oct-20

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo

26-Oct-20
Had to read that story again seeing as how the rut is about to kick off here in ohio... what a buck! Congrats again!

26-Oct-20
Totally awesome taxidermy for a truly special buck! Wow! Congratulations again!

26-Oct-20
Atta-boy, enjoy

26-Oct-20
Looks great

26-Oct-20
Great Story - Congrats what a fantastic buck!

26-Oct-20
Great Story - Congrats what a fantastic buck!

26-Oct-20
Incredible once in a lifetime buck, for sure! Mount looks great, as well. Congrats, Rob!

26-Oct-20
I can’t imagine missing this thread the first time around but evidently I did. Congrats on the buck of a lifetime !

26-Oct-20
Beautiful mount, great buck. Thanks again for sharing the story.

26-Oct-20

26-Oct-20

26-Oct-20
Atta-boy, enjoy

26-Oct-20

27-Oct-20
an all time classic well worth revisiting congrats again. wow

27-Oct-20
Beatiful pedestal mount! Thanks for keeping us updated til the end.

27-Oct-20
WOW what a Buck!! Congrats, Great recap I really enjoyed reading it. 2 Chances, Sounds like throwing some up to Man upstairs really helped! Again Congrats well done.

27-Oct-20
Congrats and I really like that mount.

27-Oct-20
Spectacular buck! Congratulations!!

27-Oct-20
Like you said Rob....buck dreams are made of....Congrats!!!

02-Nov-20
Really enjoyed rereading this story. I’ve been out 1 day didn’t see a single deer.

• Sitka Gear