mrelite 20-Nov-18
BigOzzie 20-Nov-18
ElkNut1 20-Nov-18
ElkNut1 20-Nov-18
Buglmin 20-Nov-18
ElkNut1 20-Nov-18
TD 20-Nov-18
19-Nov-18
Like many here I enjoy putting up a Trail Cam at active Water Sources, etc. I generally will leave them up the month of Aug. then pull them a day before the opener. I get quite a few photos but rare is the case do we receive photos of the bull we end up taking in the general area. (within 400 yards of the water) You would think you'd get at least one photo of him since the cam is set right there where he's living.

I do my best these days not to get tunnel vision of what's on the cam's. There's other bulls around that are camera shy! (grin) In the last 6 years I called in 6 bulls that we put down, only one was on a cam & he was only on it for a few seconds one morning, he never showed up on it again in the 30 days it was there.

I rarely sit water (if ever) but I do call around these water sources for the bulls I know are around somewhere. Have others here noticed the same thing?

ElkNut/Paul

19-Nov-18
Guess I need to make the questions a little easier! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

19-Nov-18
Sorry, don’t own a trail cam:-)

Also, don’t sit water for elk!

Just glass them up, find one I want, beat feet over there, follow them into the cover and then still hunt/call to get in range of the bull. Seems to work pretty well;-)

19-Nov-18
It's nothing for bulls to travel many miles when looking for scent and following bugles so no real surprise. Things are good if you know that there are cows and a few bulls around, IMO cameras are a blast but they are only a dipstick check of reality.

19-Nov-18
I keep reading about certain bulls rutting 15 miles from where they summer. I read similar stories about males rutting far from where they spend their summers about mule deer and sometimes white tails as well.

I had an interesting conversation with a biologist who noted that males in wild populations have to travel huge distances compared with females of the same specie to find a place to live. Especially certain species. In the case of large cats, at two years old, they often times make the choice between being killed by mature males, or walking and walking till they find an area that doesn't have a male. The final option is to sneak around and try and avoid the mature males which doesn't usually net a long lifespan.

And often times a certain male will be 'King of the Hill' for his entire life, then get his butt kicked by a younger male and have to find a place to lick his wounds.

I have a few cameras around the areas I hunt mule deer in Southern California. You won't see a single buck besides the occasional spike and occasional fork all year long. The bucks are all up in their hidey holes in the mountains. But come the rut, the bucks come out of the state park and national forest wilderness from miles away and their appearance corresponds with the height of the rut.

Lastly, I've scouted a few places that really didn't hold any elk at all during the summer. But there's rubs everywhere. You go in August and there's no fresh sign in the area. You go there in mid Sept, and there's bugles galore. And visa versa, I've found many places that have tons of elk sign, but you go there in mid Sept, and there's nothing there.

I think those summer photos are only worth so much. Opening day, especially those places that open earlier, I think they could be dynamite, but by mid-sept, you need yesterday's waterhole pictures to know what's going on right now.

19-Nov-18
Tavis, I hear ya bud! I'm referring to dark timber where glassing is really not an option, in most cases I don't even bring optics, it's all about calling them. -- Like yourself I'm not a big proponent on sitting water, I'm more of a Run & Gun guy.

mrelite, right on man! Very good evaluation. I couldn't agree more. -- There's many hunters that do not realize other elk are around because they do not have photos of them in their hunting areas. This is why calling around water sources to locate or just hearing these bulls call on their own can alert us as hunters that there are other bulls in the area outside of what we may have felt from our cam photos. -- What's interesting is these bulls I'm referring to have been there all along, this isn't new bulls moving in & out, yes this happens for sure & needs to be considered. -- All areas are not created equal, darn I wish they were! (grin) Thanks sir, very nice thoughts!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Nov-18
Great points Ike. Thanks for sharing, that’s good info.

19-Nov-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I get pics of bulls until the 10th of Aug and then nothing for 2-3 weeks then with a completely different set of bulls.

Cameras haven’t done anything to increase success for us. Only gives a level of entertainment and frustration at the same time

19-Nov-18
Yes, I agree, when cams are put out too early & pulled well before the season opener then it's a crap shoot.

My point is that these elk are there the same time the cams are there they just aren't walking those trails or drinking/wallowing at that source! I feel many times hunters do not think outside the box when sitting/hunting these areas, they think the only elk there are what they see on film! -- This is why many feel you shouldn't call from these areas. It's a personal thing but we've done well by locating bulls within 400 yards of these water sources that were not on camera even a day or two from being pulled! --- This has little to do with how far elk travel to find cows, these elk are there but not on film! This is why I enjoy calling from & around these active sources, you just never know!

This is a simple discussion on keeping open minded & not feeling the only elk there are the ones on the cam! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Nov-18
I often sit at water holes when the water and the adjacent trails show heavy use. Some water holes are used primarily by bulls early season, and some are mainly used by cows. I have found that water holes that are getting hit a lot, are an excellent place to set a tree stand. Having a camera can help inform you what is using the water hole, and their frequency. They are far from really reliable as many things can change things up. Still they can be fun to play with and to get you excited about what will not likely show up when you are there. The good news is that if a spot gets heavy use, you are likely to get something there. It sure beats the alternative.

20-Nov-18
A friend shot a unique bull that the outfitter had spotted over 70 miles away a few weeks earlier. His hunt was on a known breeding area and they attributed the travel distance to that.

20-Nov-18
We find trail cams to be a lot of fun on elk, but near useless for hunting specific animals in most scenarios...

20-Nov-18
You're not putting enough cameras out. You need to get 40-50 of them out to really know what's going on. Seems to be the trend.

20-Nov-18
Yep cazador!

And then claim ownership of any big bulls that you get pictures of!

Have actually have had issues with guys in Arizona (including some very well known outfitters and hunters!) on water holes or with bait out. Literally blocking public roads, following us around, telling us that they had hunters up about every trail in the area and hounding is as we got our packs on and hiked up the trail. To the point of yelling at us and almost coming to blows!

20-Nov-18
I totally agree on the entertainment comments, that's basically what they're for, sorta like Turkey hunting in April, it's something to do in the woods awaiting elk season! (grin)

Cazador, I only have 2 cams, obviously I'm not real serious about them but it's pretty interesting to note how close all 6 of these bulls were to this wallow/waterhole with only one on it. I've found it to be so where I put the cams in other tight dark timber as well.

This is why it can be productive to call around these water sources even if ones cams do not show much activity from bulls at that same time. -- I appreciate all your thoughts guys, thank you!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Nov-18
Only 2 cams? You're a boy amongst men! I was listening to a podcast the other day and it blew me away how many cameras guides are putting out there. Interesting, they were putting them on saddles, and travel corridors keeping tabs on the bulls they ended up taking vs traditional waterholes where everyone gets their stuff ripped off. To contribute to your thread, I agree you can/could keep track of bulls alot easier in say early August vs late/September

Not a fan of them, but that's well documented.

20-Nov-18
Area around a camera is kind of vague unless area equals a 5 mile radius or 25 square miles, IMO when talking elk "area" never means one canyon or meadow. So you get pictures for a month then you start your hunt and call in a bull you haven't seen on film, I don't see how one could say that the bull was there all along, he could have traveled quite a ways in one day so does that mean he was in the area all along?

20-Nov-18
I have noticed a similar thing with Whitetails. I put a couple of cameras around the place, which is in the middle of thousands of acres of forest service land. I get some nice bucks on camera from time to time. But I don't think I have ever had a mature buck on camera that I killed. I seem to always get a buck I have never seen before. The only time I have gotten photos and shot the buck were young immature deer.

oz

20-Nov-18
Ha Ha, yes I am! My cams are in secluded areas, no one in their right mind would find them even though they are no more than a mile from dirt roads. The terrain is treacherous & keeps most sane folks out! (grin) I will say these bulls are taken early, they give one bugle in most cases & then shut down, those are the challenging yet fun ones to bring in!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Nov-18
mrelite, In the case of the areas we elk hunt odds are pretty fair that these elk don't come from very far. This is dark thick timber & not more of the open sage/timber terrain that one would experience in WY, MT or CO where animals can travel long distances from feeding to bedding or just roaming. -- In a lot of this country these elk feed, bed & water in these same areas. These areas are small in comparison, more like a mile by 1/2 mile areas. When the elk are there we find them more in the 1/2 mile wide to 1/4 mile high, the only reason they leave is from hunters or predators, mainly wolves. They will show back up in a week or so at times when pressure lightens.

It really isn't that important where they come from or how far, the main focus is these elk or other elk are generally within earshot of these active water sources when in these areas. I don't find the elk at the water itself but they will bed nearby usually within hearing distance. I have quite a few areas as this scattered throughout the units we hunt, this isn't a rare case. Calling for location has proven productive here & am sharing it!

Many times we see Threads on this Site about calling at water sources, should we or should we not! Many have cameras on these water areas & fear they may run elk off by calling, I've found it quite the opposite. Just food for thought for those who may sit water or hunting near water & hear a bugle, should they call or not? It's situational but it would be good to be prepared mentally to do so to take full advantage of any & all encounters especially on these OTC units. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Nov-18
I don't run cameras for elk, use them for bear and mule deer. And you'd be surprised at the elk that show up on these cameras in the middle of the day to drink and swim.

I often thought of going to several well known tanks and ponds in Arizona, installing 10 foot sections of 6" pipe in selective areas around the waterholes and charging a modest fee to put cameras up on them. Heck, one well known pond had 11 cameras on it this year, and most are kept up all year long. Some guys will be out next weekend to start putting up blinds for the December/January deer hunt.

We have two arms that will be completely void of elk for weeks at a time, then the cows and young bulls show up, and soon the bigger bulls, places biologists call rut zones. Another place up high, elk get pushed into by the pressure of other hunters. Little bowl can be down right frustrating with so many elk in it.

20-Nov-18
Ah ha, I'm such a dork! (grin) It's the Title that's misleading!!!!! No wonder so many are referring to elk that show up in due time for whatever reasons, all are true too!

The Title should say Where Were They Hiding! (grin) I know there's elk in these areas I hunt, they are there mid Aug & stay if not pushed out or killed or snow gets heavy throughout Sept. --- Those who rely heavily on cam photos be aware there's a good possibility there are other bulls around! The End! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

20-Nov-18
Yes, they can travel huge distances..... but there are places they always seem to wind up every year. Plenty of folks here have such spots, local knowledge. One place we killed 3 bulls in 2 years, all in an area of maybe 200 yards across. I'd bet they were back in there this year later Sept.

• Sitka Gear