CAS_HNTR 21-Nov-18
Buckhunter 21-Nov-18
Genesis 21-Nov-18
Candor 22-Nov-18
hightine 22-Nov-18
Will 24-Nov-18
W 25-Nov-18
19-Nov-18
I'm in the market for a climbing treestand for mostly bowhunting, but will use it gun hunting too. What shall I get in your opinion and why? Pros, cons, ect. Most of my hunts are quite far of a hike.

19-Nov-18
Lone Wolf. Why? Because it's the best. Most portable, easiest to use, most secure to climb. Not the most comfortable but certainly not too bad.

19-Nov-18
Lone Wolf or XOP. Basically the same stand.

19-Nov-18
2nd that...Lone Wolf. I have both the sit and climb and the hand climber. If I had to choose one I'd go with the hand climber, just my choice.

19-Nov-18
Ive hunted out of my Summit Bushmaster for years. rock solid no squeaking easy to use and only 16 lb. not sure why they quit making this model but it is by far the best imo.

19-Nov-18

Rut Nut's Link
papadeerhtr- is this what you are talking about?

19-Nov-18
The LW is the lightest and probably the best overall climber on the market, but the Summit Viper is far, far more comfortable to sit in. If you're sitting for 2-3 hours and especially if you have a long walk to get to the tree, the LW is the way to go. But if you're going to do an all day sit, the Summit is incredibly comfortable for an all-dayer. I have two now and bought the cheaper steal one (don't get the original 30 pounder for actual use as a climber, it's too heavy, only if you're going to leave it) that's a permanent stand with a climbing stick just because it's so good for all day sits. Pull the foam/cloth for the offseason if you do this.

19-Nov-18
I've usedthe LW hand climber for the last 12 years. Light, portable, easy to climb, easy to adjust and very secure to the tree. I just did around 60 hours in it last week. Comfort isn't the greatest but it isn't the worst. I usually will just stand for an hour or so if i start to get uncomfortable. Guys i went with last week were using Summits. They were sleeping in them - so the comfort level is much greater.

I'll stick with LW - but Just my 2 cents.

19-Nov-18
I have a summit that I absolutely love. It's probably 12 years old. As others have said it is heavier (30-40#s?) but super comfortable. If I'm going to sit all day I generally pack that in. I think I probably take a cat nap every time I sit in it. I only have to pack mine in about a mile so it's not bad. I have no experience with a Lone Wolf and don't even know what they look like but if you have quite a hike to your setup it sounds like the LW is a lot lighter.

19-Nov-18
The tree walker is the most comfortable climber and has great accessories for bow and gun both. I love mine..

19-Nov-18
Regardless of the make and model, I would recommend a lot of climbing practice and never be in a hurry. I use a LW hand climber if there is a good tree in a known good spot otherwise I walk around the woods hunting a tree rather than hunting the sign.

19-Nov-18
Summit - Comfortable, bulky, noisy LW Hand Climber - Not as comfortable, streamlined, quiet, lightweight.

19-Nov-18
STEP ONE: Hand climber or Sit & Climb???

I prefer my Summit OpenShot hand climber over the XOP hand climber. It is easier to climb with and more comfortable. The XOP is quieter and folds flat. My Summit is MUCH quieter since I attached rubber tread steps at www.thirdhandarchery.com

19-Nov-18
I have a Summit Open Shot SD that I really like. I did a lot of research before I bought it because I needed one of the lightest climbers I could find for bowhunting public lands in steep terrain where I needed lightweight and a solid stand with a good review. At 15 lbs its up there with the lighter climbers. And with a simple old safety belt, I converted mine to a sit-n-climb if I want, and the addition of Third Hand Stabilizer Straps, I got a rock-solid, lightweight safe climber.

19-Nov-18
I agree with DarrinG on the open shot with the stabilizer straps. I’ve used Lone Wolf, API bowhunters, Quick & Quite ( great stand) Loggy Boyou. And hands down the quick and quite. At 70 years I’m thinking this may be my last year to use....may go to a pack seat..

19-Nov-18

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
Turned my Summit Open Shot into a sit & climb 16# stand.

19-Nov-18
Hard to beat a Summit

19-Nov-18
Xop sit and climb. Curved back bar makes larger trees a little easier to climb. Wvarcher

19-Nov-18
For you guys that like the Muddy Stalker, what locks it down to the tree? I use mostly hang-ons and ladder stands, but there are still some spots that I use my Loggy climber. Yes, a Loggy. Bought that stand in '97. Its the whale tail style with the extra spikes fastened into the support struts. Anyhow, the reason I ask about how the Muddy secures to the tree, is because the Loggy has a strap on the seat, goes around the tree and tightens down with an over center buckle. When locked down, that stand is rock solid.

19-Nov-18
LW xtra wide sit n climb flip top with hunt comfort seat. I can sit for over 5 hours before I even need to stand to stretch.

19-Nov-18
Summit open shot....i hated the lone wolf...very uncomfortable and the band made it horrible to climb down a tree in. I can't even believe people consider the LW especially at the price but that's the beauty of variety I guess!

19-Nov-18
Summit Viper steel: 30 lbs

Summit Viper HD: 20 lbs (aluminum)

Summit open step: 15 lbs

LW: 15ish lbs for the hand climber, 20 for the sit and climb, but there's a few models.

I have an open step and a LW and IMO, they're no different in comfort. The Summit Viper is more comfortable because, not only does it have a thick foam seat, but your butt can sit over a foot from the tree, and allows your feet to rest even farther away, which is a more reclined position.

The LW and the open step force you to sit upright like a Catholic nun requires of her students with your back and butt right up against the tree (uncomfortable) and your feet straight down. It's fine for 2-3 hours. It's miserable for long sits.

I actually avoid getting in my Summit on leaning trees because if you get on the top of the angle and recline the upper section, you'll just fall asleep because it's like a lazy boy.

19-Nov-18
Summit Viper with the surround seat is my favorite all around as it is a bit bulky, but more than makes up for it with its comfort. I typically don’t carry my stand further than .5 mile in though.

20-Nov-18
The biggest comfort factor to me was bringing a screw in step to get up about 4’ before ascending. Try it, you’ll like it..

20-Nov-18
Only used two kinds, X-Stand Sit and Climb and Lone Wolf Hand Climber! Lone Wolf all the way! Way more stable than the other one, lighter too!

20-Nov-18
I have to agree with blood trail on this. I have a Summit Viper SD, comfortable, but can be a pain at times. You have to press down on the lever to get the rubber wrap around, to adjust, and can be noisy at times. Practice with it.

However I usually cache mine in spots, and it is very safe and comfortable to sit in.

One thing that has not been mentioned, is the stabilizer straps, that are made by 3rd Hand archery, best thing I bought for my climber. check them out on u tube

The Lone Wolf hand climber is popular, but check out Dan Infalt on the Hunting beast, on u tube he shows the tricks, on how to use it properly, which a lot of users do not do.

Also I would go with the xop, if I had to start over....

20-Nov-18
It's all pretty much been covered here. I had to use a climber a bunch( summit ) on hunt this year and it only convinced me that I prefer a saddle.

20-Nov-18
Summit Viper man. An awesome stand, that is super comfortable and safe!

20-Nov-18
Dumb question of the day. On the Lone Wolf sit and climb does the sit bar swing out of the way when done climbing? If not when you stand you can only stand on the end of the platform and not stand and lean against the tree?

20-Nov-18
Don't buy anything until you look at the Equalizer. Extremely comfortable, light, safe to climb and sit in and is adjustable while in the stand. Best stand I have ever owned. They quit making them for a while but started up again last year and I bought one just to have it for the future. I don't get all the votes for Lone Wolf. I had one and hated it. Most uncomfortable thing I have ever owned but I must have missed something as they seem popular. Just sat in my Equalizer for 5 days straight and still love it.

20-Nov-18
I have a Summit climber almost 30yrs, safe as they get , and my seat is great for long sits, dont slip on trees . never had a reason get another , yet i did once , I got a Lonewolf , sold it a week later , death trap

20-Nov-18
My first climber was a Loggy Bayou. Used it for years. Then I borrowed my brother-in-law’s Summit Viper one year when he blew out his knee. I used it once and vowed to never use that dang Loggy ever again! Never did! Bought a Summit in the off-season and been using one ever since. About 6 years ago I bought the Summit Bushmaster used from a Bowsiter. I liked it so much, I ended up selling my Viper. It’s lighter, nests together a little better and takes up a little less space due to no front bar on top section. IMHO, it’s the perfect combination of comfort, size and weight!

I made some modifications to it and now I can sit all day in it just like I used to in my Viper.

20-Nov-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Here is my bushmaster with padding salvaged from an old Summit that my buddy gave me- I put it around the seat section and on each armrest. Insulated from the cold and also increases comfort.

20-Nov-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Also got the insulated platform cover. Again, it insulates from the cold and eliminates the squeaks from wet boot soles.

20-Nov-18
Yep- and you had to have the balance of a tightrope walker to swing that seat up with your foot, then step over it! ;-)

21-Nov-18
Rut Nut, forgot about my Loggy. Still hanging in my garage. I was chuckling at your comment. Forgot about the tango I had to do to get the seat up. Started using it as a hang on in later years. Comfortable once in it.

21-Nov-18
I have been using an API bowhunter for over 20 years.....same stand, same chains, same pins, same everything except some extra paint here and there and a couple different versions of chain wrap.

Although I won't say it's the best "designed" stand or most thought out compared to some of the others, I really have had absolutely zero issues with it ever and I has been used hundreds and hundreds of times.

21-Nov-18
Summit sit all day take a nap if you like

21-Nov-18
Owned the all......API will climb anything and the Ol man is the best “sitter”

22-Nov-18
I really like my Treewalker. It is not what I would choose for long walks as it does not pack flat.

I have a Summit Viper, LW, Loggy Bayou and Treewalker. They each have their distinction and things I like about them. There is nothing that meets every need superlatively. The TreeWalker is my go-to simply because it sits on the tree more solid than anything else and is very comfortable without giving up much else. But it is not good for long walks. But...I hunt a lot of naked pine trees and carry artificial branches with me. The Treewalker is the easiest for me to hang and prop branches on to break up my silhouette.

22-Nov-18
Lone wolf sit and climb with a summit seat.

24-Nov-18
I've had the same Summit Bushmaster (the old one with straight tubes vs the ones now that sort of "swoop"). Love it. Easy to climb, reasonably light to pack and quiet.

25-Nov-18
Treewalker

• Sitka Gear