Ironbow-cell 21-Nov-18
Kurt 21-Nov-18
Zbone 22-Nov-18
WapitiBob 22-Nov-18
HEAD DOCTOR 25-Nov-18
19-Nov-18

Bow Bullet's embedded Photo
I started bowhunting when I was in high school back in the '70s and around 1977 or so I bought a used Jennings "W" handle compound and I still have it. The bow is in pretty good shape for being as old as it is but I did one modification I now regret. I cut off the adjustable rest shelf so I could put a flipper rest on it (the threaded type, not the stick-on). I never killed anything with it but it holds a lot of sentimental value to me. I'm curious if it has any collector value.

At one time I also had a two piece quiver on it but I have no recollection of how or why that disappeared. If anyone has a rest shelf and/or quiver they are willing to part with, send me a message. In the alternative for the rest shelf, if you have one but don't want to give it up, I'd be interested in getting the dimensions so I could possibly fabricate a replacement.

Thanks!

19-Nov-18

Here are a couple pix I found on the web of the adjustable rest.

19-Nov-18
Try newarcheryproducts for the rest.

19-Nov-18
That's an old one, may have been their one of their first production models of Arrowstar/MasterHunter model... Am guessing 1972- 74 era...

Collection value, doubt much, don't believe to many people collecting old compounds, unless you can somebody looking for that exact model and willing to pay... Old stickbows a different matter, there's a bunch of collectors...

19-Nov-18
I had a Jennings model W compound with the Future Wood riser which was a black laminated wood. I think I bought it in the early spring of '76 but it was used. It had the guitar tuning keys for adjusting cam sync in the side plates.

19-Nov-18
Highlife - I can get a plunger flipper rest at Lancasters. The metal shelf (the part I now wish I hadn't cut) was an integral component of the bow. In the last picture you can see the set screw that allows for adjusting the center shot.

Zbone - I suspected there wasn't much if any collector value but I was hoping I was wrong. It is close to a trad bow with that whopping 20% let-off! :D

walks with a gimp - my bow also has the guitar keys for tuning. It has S-hooks for attaching the Dacron string to the cables. My riser is either magnesium or aluminum. I thought I read that the wood riser model was called the "I" handle and the metal riser without the wood grip was the "S" handle. But my knowledge is only based on what little info I could find through web searching.

20-Nov-18

stagetek's embedded Photo
stagetek's embedded Photo
A couple of vintage Jennings.

20-Nov-18
stagetek - My Arrowstar looked a lot like that one on the left...

20-Nov-18
stagetek, yes mine was like the one on the right in your picture. I honestly now don't know where that bow went but my next one was a PSE Pacer.

20-Nov-18
Those old bows are a slice of archery history in the flesh. I cant help but think that over time they will become very collectable.

20-Nov-18
The original 4 wheelers. Had the metal riser Jennings, then a Bear Alaskan and finally a PSE Citation. Ultimate tune ability with those old bows and a simple flipper rest. Best of all finger friendly.

20-Nov-18
Jennings was the first, he held the patent, and like said above, that first photo looks very similar to the first production models, which I think were 4-wheelers... Hey Bow Bullet, whats the writing on the upper riser say?

20-Nov-18

Here's the label. Patent No. 3486495. Unless it's under one of the side plates I don't see a serial number on the bow.

20-Nov-18
Upon closer inspection I found "9794" stamped on the large washer of the lower limb bolt. Other than that and the sticker, no other markings.

20-Nov-18
Yeah, that might be their first production model since they didn't even name it... It may be collectible now, it not certainly someday in the future...8^)

If your going to sell it, wouldn't know how you'd advertise it though, might try Ebay, like "Early Model Jennings Compound Bow", or something like that.... Or, maybe contact Bear Archery since they bought out Jennings, they might have more info on it, and/or may want to purchase it from for museum or something... Good luck, and thanks for sharing...

20-Nov-18
Allan patented the compound bow. Jennings first bows were made with wood risers in the late 60's.

21-Nov-18
Yeah Bob, now I think about it you are right Allan patented the compound bow... My bad... Thanks...

Bow Bullet - I just google search, there are earlier earlier wood riser Jennings, I don't really remember them but age is creeping up on me and memory fails me sometimes...8^) Sorry to have misled you, my apologies...

Back in the 60's I was still shooting kids fiberglass bows though, didn't hear of compounds until the mid-70's... My first real bow was a Ben Pearson Cougar recurve around 1972... Bought with my own money at Western Auto...8^)

21-Nov-18
Z bone,Allan had the patent,Tom Jennings wouldn't pay Allan for the use.A lawsuit was filed against Jennings Archery,Allan won,and Tom Jennings was forced out of business as Mr. Allan wanted,and Bear Archery picked up the Jennings Line.

21-Nov-18
PSE also made the Citation in a 4 wheeler.

Had one of the Arrowstars, wish I had one again.

21-Nov-18
Had a wood riser Jennings 4-wheeler I got in the fall of 1974. Killed a doe with it that fall. Killed my first elk with it in 1975. The riser failed a year later when I was at full draw. Unhurt, but scared the hell out of me. I later had an Arrowstar...it was heavy as heck. Swore it off after carrying it into the Sangre de Cristos on a back pack sheep hunt in 1980.

22-Nov-18
Yeah Rancher, I remember something about a lawsuit... Come to think of it, yeah that's why Jennings had to sell out... I think it was actually Papa Bear that came to his rescue... Think Fred and Tom Jennings were buddies if I remember correctly... Thanks for jogging my memory...8^)

22-Nov-18
Jennings never put their licensing fee money in escrow like PSE did; stupid move.

25-Nov-18

HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
Here is a photo of the bow.
HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
Here is a photo of the bow.
Here is a bow given to me by Tom Jennings when he used to come over and hunt javelina's with us. As a matter of fact Steven from Ward's Outfitters got him on some javelina's. Steven was about 10 years old at the time. Mr. Jennings told me he converted a crossbow riser and turned it into this bow. It was never put on the market. I believe this is one of about 6. I wish I could ask him he was an extremely nice and knowledgeable man. He has since passed. :(

• Sitka Gear