jmiller 26-Nov-18
rooster 27-Nov-18
LINK 27-Nov-18
tobinsghost 11-Dec-18
Muddyboots 11-Dec-18
drycreek 11-Dec-18
Urbncwby 18-Dec-18
19-Nov-18
My daughter wants Santa to bring her a bow so she can shoot with daddy. She's 6 years old with a 18.5" draw length. Any recommendations? I looked at a Mission Craze at the local shop. I want something decent but being her first bow I don't want to spend too much in case she doesn't like it. The local box store has a Bear Brave. The Brave obviously isn't the bow the Craze is but it's about $175 less. Let me know your thoughts please.

19-Nov-18
Recurves and longbows work great for kids. They are simple, inexpensive, take a beating and can fit multiple kids. As they grow a bit their increased draw goes along with a little extra draw weight. My 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter have been shooting trad bows from Fleetwood Archery since the were 4 or 5. My son also has their Envoy compound that has a huge weight and draw length adjustment without needing extra parts. Its too big for a 6 year old but a good fit for around 10 through adult.

If you think a Brave is a fit, shoot me a PM. I have a couple in the garage they have outgrown.

19-Nov-18

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
I went with a Craze for my six year old four years ago now... A great investment as he has grown A LOT since and the bow just keeps growing with him. Big picture, it is an initial investment, however worth it if your daughter stays with it... If not, you can always sell it and get back a good chunk of the investment.

20-Nov-18
I`m with Glunt…..I think some form of plastic/glass longbow type might be in order. At 6 we had a yardstick and some string...lol. Holy crap Duke....your kid is a beast if he can pull that thing.

20-Nov-18
I’ve got my daughters mini genesis with a whisker biscuit rest barely used with 6 arrows. I’ll send it to you for $100 plus shipping.

20-Nov-18
Having started them with both, a trad bow is the way to go! One of the most important things is sharp arrow tips!!! If their arrows are bouncing off the target instead of sticking in they get really pissy! Check out Black Rhino longbows!

20-Nov-18

LINK's embedded Photo
My 6 year old
LINK's embedded Photo
My 6 year old
My 6 year old bought a Brear Cruzer lite with her Christmas and birthday money. 5-45#. I like it better than my older daughters Hoyt Ruckus but both are bows they can and will hunt with. Don’t critique her form and no we haven’t adjusted the peep yet. We are just working on building muscle and flinging arrows.

20-Nov-18
You can get the cruzer lite on eBay, sportsman guide and Walmart.com for $250. 12-27” draw or they come with an extra set of draw modules that make it essentially an any length draw without stops so multiple kids could shoot the same bow at the same time.

21-Nov-18
I went with a Diamond Atomic for my son when he was 5. I wanted him to start with fingers just to get a feel for it. That is how I started. He is now 6. He is getting a peep and release for Christmas.

21-Nov-18
I have a Mission Craze with attachments I was thinking of selling, my son has moved up to an adult bow. If you are interested I will see what a fair price is and get back with you.

21-Nov-18

LINK's embedded Photo
My oldest at 7
LINK's embedded Photo
My oldest at 7
My oldest, now 9, started with a “real” bow at 7. The mass weight is a lot the first few times they shoot it, then they quickly get used to it. My oldest was pulling 28# at 7. Don’t be scared of the investment. My daughters love having their own “real” hunting bows.

21-Nov-18
Diamond Atomic is a great little bow. Lots of adjust-ability. Mini-Genesis is also a good option and are shot with the fingers but be ready to teach proper anchor as there will be no let-off.

21-Nov-18
New breed spawn

21-Nov-18
The kids that I've started showed a lot more enthusiasm shooting traditional bows than compounds. With compound bows there are just way more moving parts and it takes away the fun. It seems that the simpler is better.

Like oldgoat stated above - make sure the tips are sharp. Kids hate it when their arrows bounce off of targets. It absolutely deflates them. Sharpen the tips by stroking them across concrete if you have to.

21-Nov-18

GF's embedded Photo
Here he is at 5
GF's embedded Photo
Here he is at 5
GF's embedded Photo
Same boy, same bow, six years later
GF's embedded Photo
Same boy, same bow, six years later
Black Rhino LB Model 48L

22-Nov-18
I agree with Glunt and the others about starting them with a trad bow. My kids are 8,5,3. We have two of the Bear traditional bows that they sell at Cabela's for $30 or so, and two Hoyt Ruckus compounds. None of my kids are strong enough to shoot with the compounds yet, and they love shooting the trad bows.

22-Nov-18
I started with a Matthews Genesis when I was 5 or 6 I believe, loved that thing. I’m sure their current Mission equivelant is even better

22-Nov-18
Vids, that’s what’s nice about the bear. It will get down to 5 pounds. At 5 pounds the nock will barely turn loose of the string, lol.

22-Nov-18

25-Nov-18
Redfisher, please let me know about the Craze...I may be interested. Thanks,

26-Nov-18
I am planning on getting my 9 year old daughter a Bear Limitless. Looks like a good bow for a fair price. She's pumped to hunt next fall

27-Nov-18
I made the mistake of buying two Bear Brave bows for the oldest 2 grand kids. At 10 years old the grand daughter was already too big for it. Sam at 6 loves it but they are simply "toy" bows. I'm now in the OP's boat looking for something better for both. I think Aubrey may like a trad bow that she can "decorate" but, Sam may want one more like Pappy's.

27-Nov-18

LINK's embedded Photo
My oldest shooting her Brave when she was 4.
LINK's embedded Photo
My oldest shooting her Brave when she was 4.
Rooster right on with the Brave. My oldest daughter had a neighbor pass one down when we helped them move. They are good until the age of 6-7 but that’s about it. The mass weight of a “real bow” is slightly more than the brave but stripped of their quiver theres not much weight difference. Pick your brand but get one that goes down below 10 pounds draw weight and skip the toy bow market for any kid 6 or over. My 6 year old is as weak as they come and she can handle the cruzer lite just fine.

11-Dec-18
So what brands or models do NOT increase draw weight automatically when you increase draw length?

11-Dec-18
I have a Maddog youth longbow which is a real nice bow. I paid about $105 for it including 3 youth arrows. Agree with many of the posts above- A light recurve or longbow will get the kids started and plenty happy.

11-Dec-18
My kids are all grown and only one grandkid ever took up the bow, but I'm delighted to see the pictures of these kids that y'all posted. Maybe all is not lost....

18-Dec-18

Urbncwby's embedded Photo
Mission Craze II
Urbncwby's embedded Photo
Mission Craze II
I started mine out with a mini genesis when he was 4-5 years old. For his 10th birthday last year, he got a bow “he could hunt with”. He reached 35lbs after a few months and here we are in October.

• Sitka Gear