midwest 21-Nov-18
Brotsky 21-Nov-18
LBshooter 21-Nov-18
standswittaknife 21-Nov-18
midwest 21-Nov-18
G-Man 21-Nov-18
Neubauer 21-Nov-18
20-Nov-18
For the last two years i have tried both. Last year i had sitka incenerator binds and jacket and this year the asat set of sanctuary set..

I sold off all the sitka because (insert your eye roll here) because i felt like I’ve never been seen more with a camo pattern by whitetails in my life than sitka (i had evo2) . So when i kept reading about the asat camo i switched when first lite had their close out sale.. just because i wanted to.

I sat in 30 degree weather give or take a couple degrees for each year.

My assessment of both of them is that sitka is simply superior in most ways when it came to fit and thought. Everything was so thought out with sitka it was crazy. Between the lined pockets like muffs so simply the fit. Sitka is king...

But first lite is not far behind. The bulk from first light compared to sitka comes to mind, as well as the weight. Sitka is superior. The warmth from sitka is also better.

First light was measurably quiet..er.. than sitka. That was the biggest factor to me on the difference. I had to layer up more with first light.

Basically if sitka could have a better camo pattern and be less noisy when moving they’d be superior.

When whitetail hunting, ill later up more for the quiet difference and am glad i changed. I know I’ll get some bashing here because camo is camo, and stay still.. blah blah blah.. but I’m happy i changed..

Anyone else?

20-Nov-18
Good review. I currently use a Sitka Fanatic jacket and First Lite Sanctuary bibs. Love that combo. I feel I can wear FL merino EXP base layers and the bibs/jacket and be fine in the teens. With the Woodbury I had to layer more and was heavier. The Sitka bibs are too bulky and burr magnets. Mix and match has worked well for me. I also use the Stratus Set and love the conveniece and comfort for 40-60 degrees.

20-Nov-18
Neat to hear from someone who has tried both. I have the first lite woodbury jacket. Great jacket, I can wear it over a t-shirt to 30 degrees. 20's I just layer a light fleece under. Can't imagine needing much warmer. It is a touch bulkier than my prior layering system, but subjectively I think warmer.

That Sitka elevated camo is so bizarre. I've seen it brought up elsewhere and to me it has always had a clearly blueish hue to it. My eyes see what they see. I am not a camo guy, I wear a lot of drab solids and plaid in the stand. But the scientists say deer see into the blue spectrum well, and that blue of the Sitka treestand pattern is undeniable. I'm not a Sitka hater. I hate their prices but I've bought several things on sale and there is no doubt the quality is top of the line. It's mind boggling that such well thought out gear would fail so miserably in that department if indeed the scientists assertions about deer vision are correct. It's enough to deter me from wearing it.

20-Nov-18
I also converted from Sitka to First Lite last season. I’ve been completely happy with my First Lite and echo the OP’s review and comparison pretty much word for word. I use the Sanctuary bibs and Woodbury jacket.

20-Nov-18
Had a similar conversation on out Kansas trip this year. A guy we hunt with picked up some sitka gear before the trip and was disappointed he was getting picked off if he moved at all. My dad and I both wear sitka in ev2 and have not had this issue. The defining difference between us was that he is sitting in stands 10 to 12 feet off the ground and my dad and I hunt 20 feet plus off the ground. This drastically changes your back ground and what colors you need to blend into it. As someone above mentioned it does have a blue hue to it. That is because from a deers height looking up to a stand 20 feet plus in the air the sky is a large part of the back ground. I think ev2 is great in a higher stand but would never use it from the ground or a 10 foot treestand. You will stick out big time.

20-Nov-18
Curious for those that have knowledge of first lite. What are the biggest differences between the sanctuary jacket and the Woodbury jacket?

20-Nov-18
Michael, the Woodbury is a little lighter and a little less warm than the Sanctuary. I like to layer underneath and I can wear it in a little warmer temps without sweating my boys off. I wear Kuiu guide pants and kenai insulated pants with the Woodbury until it gets really cold then I go to the Sanctuary bibs. I layer a puffy under the Woodbury in frigid temps and I'm good to go down below 0.

20-Nov-18
I do about 75 days each year Hunting whitetails (7 states this year) and have never worn a better pattern than the Sitka Elevated 11 for not being seen by deer. Ungulates see things way different than humans. Most of my set-ups are in places that require deer to pass without detection and that happens hundreds of times each season. I’ve never worn FL but I’m 100% satisfied with the E11 pattern. The function, layering and ability to hunt all weather is unmatched IMO!

20-Nov-18
have any of you had any issues with whitetail or elk seeing the Optifade Subalpine pattern? I like that pattern a lot better than the elevated.

20-Nov-18
I agree, the elevated pattern makes no sense with what we know about what colors a whitetail sees. I sincerely hope that they change this, or at least offer another option in the whitetail line.

20-Nov-18
I have the Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket in the old Forest pattern. I'm REALLY wanting the Incinerator, because I do hunt late season down into the negative Zero range sometimes. And I also want the waterproof. I keep hanging on, hoping they'll come out with an upgrade and a different camo.

I'm not a camo snob. I'm generally a funny mixture of multiple Sitka Patterns plus a Kuiu pattern or two. I've shot deer out of stands in Sitka Open Country. Actually quite a few deer out of stands with Open Country

But I'm just not a fan of that Elevated camo. It is NOT versatile to me. And that is a huge thing I look for in all my gear. Versatility. I can't afford to buy a $200 jacket for elk, then a $200 jacket for whitetails, etc. I know Sitka is trying hard to make everyone do exactly that, but I just can't. And won't. So I buy a hodgepodge of pieces that I think will work for me while deer/elk/turkey/pig/etc. That's why I look like a funny caricature with multiple camo types from several manufacturers

Now, I realize that Incincerator bibs are a specialty item. They're for late season whitetails or some similar hunt where you sit in frigid temps. I just wish that camo was a little more functional

20-Nov-18

ACB's embedded Photo
ACB's embedded Photo
I have the fanatic jacket and bibs , sanctuary jacket and bibs ( in ASAT the reason I bought them ) and arctic armor in jacket and bibs . Agree with above assessments the Sitka is so well thought out except the camo and fleeece that picks up every hitch hiker within 10 feet of you . The sanctuary set is warm and is quieter and does not pick up unwanted riders , but it has more bulk . It saddened me when first lite discontinued the ASAT camo for this is the reason I started using first lite products in first place . The Arctic Armor is the least bulky of the three and is very warm . It Is relative quite and camo is much better than Sitka. I had a set of Tree Bark camo when they first came out in late 70’s or early 80’s not sure of the date , but the deer would pick you out in that blue suit in a heart beat and the Sitka camo is a little better but not much they will pick you out in it . I have worn a lot of camo patterns over the years and believe me some are much better than others . But for what ever reason the ASAT really works on ground or in the tree . Not sure why it is not more popular.

20-Nov-18
I have quite a bit of Sitka, I’m not up on my camo color pattern/names but it is their first version. I’ve read where Universities have studied deer eyes/cones and determined they see the color blue and every other color is black, white, gray. It (Blue) sticks out like humans seeing the color orange. If true, I’ve always wondered why Sitka would put any shade of blue in their camo.

20-Nov-18
How do the FL sanctuary bibs fit? I have a larger belly than I would like (need to work on this). I have the Uncompahgre jacket and fits tight around the belly with a sweatshirt type layer underneath.

20-Nov-18
Last week in Kansas when it was 18 degrees my Sitka finatic jacket sounded like loud velcro. Time to try something different.

20-Nov-18
If its dead quiet--impossible to beat the Woodbury for silence. I prefer the fanatic if its windy and that kangaroo pouch is almost worth the jacket alone. I can sit forever in the fanatic. The fusion pattern is almost invisible in the woods---it's crazy.

I know what you guys are saying about the 'blue hue blues' but if can sit longer, with the limited time I have, Ill take warmth and comfort over camo. Maybe Sitka will come up with a different pattern but the Stratus and Fanatic line with Windstopper really allows me to layer light and hunt longer. Both incredible companies.

20-Nov-18
I have the FL sanctuary bibs and they are not real beer belly tolerant to be honest. I really like the stuff its about as quiet as it gets.

20-Nov-18
I also bought a bunch of First Lite ASAT last year when they discontinued it. It's my favorite camo pattern as well.

--Mitch

20-Nov-18
I agree about stand height and ultimately location/background for the Sitka EVII pattern.

Charlie, in all of the whitetail sits you do each year, what is your typical stand height?

20-Nov-18
I have a mix of Camo from both Sitka and First Lite. I agree that Sitka is top notch when it comes to the engineering of their products (fit, pocket #/locations etc ...). The Fanatic is awesome for being quiet as it has the fleece finish. The camo pattern is hot or miss depending upon the terrain. I'm sure the Elevated pattern works great in the right conditions and I have killed deer in it, but I've also been busted. I can't blame the camo for getting busted, but I can say that it sure seems like you have more margin for movement with ASAT that just about anything else that I have tried. I found that the ASAT Leafy Suit over the top of my warm Camo was a killer combination this season. No doubt it's an extra layer and it does interfere with some of the pockets and such ... best of both worlds for me. It also helps in that the ASAT Leafy suit is great for other seasons and weighs nothing and takes up next to no space in the pack. It's a no-brainer that has allowed me to get away with close movement on Elk and Turkeys as well.

20-Nov-18
I have to say, I don't think I've ever been picked off due to the type of camo I was wearing at the time.

I have ASAT, KUIU and Sitka in the elevated II pattern (Fanatic bibs and jacket). That Sitka is hands down the best hunting clothing I own, even if it does attract all the burrs in the entire forest (beard brush helps remove them).

20-Nov-18
I have both sets because the deal on the FL Santuary set was one I could not pass up. Also helps when introducing new people to hunting like my father in law I am taking this weekend. I can clothe them so we can actually hunt for more than an hour.

Anyways, here are my takeaways having both. My Fanatic set is about 6 years old and thus not the new gear or pattern.

First off, the whole Sitka science of nothing animal eyesight thing is pure BS in my opinion. I thought it from the start and still do. Disagree with me if you want. But if that dark pattern sticks out like a black blob in the tree to me I can not with all the wanting in my being believe that someone it disappears for a whitetail. If it was so perfect - why suddenly change the pattern to EV2?? And if the science supports pattern #1, what supports pattern #2? Anyways, I hate the pattern but I've ranted about that before.

That being said, the Fanatic suit is a wicked awesome whitetail suit. Warm, dry, well thought out in many many ways, kangaroo pouch, rangefinder pocket, so many great features. There's a reason I kept the suit. It's the warmest set of clothing I've ever bought. It is more windproof than the First Lite, and so most likely edges it out slightly in warmth. When it got too cold for the Fanatic I tried layering my Kuiu super down underneath which did help quite a bit. This year however, I tried my First Lite Sanctuary jacket and Super down combo and it was warmer. I think because the First Lite is "roomier" underneath. And one thing about down, it can't be compressed. The First Lite jacket is also much longer. Top to bottom like. The one thing I don't quite like about the Fanatic Jacket is it is a little shorter, and more "athletic." Well there's nothing athletic about sitting all day. It doesn't need to be that short. It isn't excessive, but could be longer like the Sanctuary. Both are quiet garments, but the FL Sanctuary is quieter. It's essentially noiseless. I drew and drew down on a roughly 5-6 yr old whitetail in negative Fahrenheit temps at 18-20 yards with not much wind and he never caught a peep of it sitting in bald poplars 12 ft off the ground no cover. I honestly think that slight bit of noise difference made a difference. Although in hindsight, maybe him catching me would have been a good thing and I actually would have released an arrow instead of waiting for a better opportunity...but I digress.

I have the FL Santuary set in fusion camo which I do think is far superior to the Elevated I. I'd like to see that Elevated eleven camo Charlie is rocking cause it must be superior to 1 and 2 by far ;) For me, I've actually taken to hanging lower, because I was getting picked off way too much up higher. I'm better off lower blending in with trees in the background.

My takeaway on either set is that both are fantastic sets of clothing. Either one will get you through a whitetail season in both comfort and be quiet. Either one is vastly superior to anything on the market from 10 years ago, or from almost any other supplier that I could find. The shooters cut on both is awesome for an archer, and I would say if you can get your hands on either set at a good price I'd hammer down and get em. I brought my FL set up moose hunting thinking I wouldn't need it and ended up wearing it pretty much every day. It's really nice.

If you wanted my dream set, I'd take the Sitka Fanatic, with the jacket lengthened a touch and a little roomier in case I want to add another layer underneath and make it all PREDATOR FALL GREY baby!!! :)

20-Nov-18
APauls nailed it!

20-Nov-18
Amen to Predator Fall Grey!!!!

20-Nov-18
Yes but I’ll go one step further and one up Him with Fall Brown..

21-Nov-18
I bought a lefty suit in ASAT this year for the very reason I could wear what ever I need to but still have my ASAT camo on out side .

21-Nov-18
As others have said the first lite bibs are not generously cut .

21-Nov-18
I live in Maryland and hunt in VA and PA for whitetail and really don't hunt in extreme cold weather. My western hunts are always in SEP. When it's cold I wear my RAB Micro Lite Summit jacket under my Stika 90% jacket. If its really cold I will wear it under my Silent Predator Wool Jacket. I have used both brands but only have Sitka now. The fit and designs are great and it wears like iron. My 90% stuff is like 10 years old and looks like new after 100's of day afield. I could care less about camo patterns and would wear solids if I could get it in the pieces I like. Stand location and movement is what counts from my standpoint.

21-Nov-18
none of these manufacturers are going to be beer belly friendly. They are purposely tailored for people who are extremely fit.

21-Nov-18
Great reviews here for sure!

Predator, ASAT, Blow Down (King of the Mountain) and other similar open patterns certainly seem to work very well in a wide variety of conditions. Although not sure they are any better than grey/brown solids or large pattern plaids in flannel and wool.

The two biggest issues with Sitka, KUIU, First Lite, etc are that the synthetic materials are noisy and shiny/flashy. Kind of wonder if the shine is not the issue that guys are having with some of these garments and not the camo pattern. They also tend to get pretty smelly after days of sweat soaking in the woods.

Wool doesn’t have those issues. It seems that the texture of wool tends to help soften your outline and make you harder to see no matter what the camo pattern. I’ve used my old KOM on all day sits in sub-zero temps for white tails pretty effectively. Love wool, except for it’s attraction to burrs.

21-Nov-18
Mertyman: My stand heights vary from low to high. I sit where the circumstances require to maximize ambush potential. When deer pass by that I’m not going to shoot I don’t get seen unless I move. I let hundreds of deer go by each season and don’t understand how guys don’t like the effectiveness of the pattern.

Fortunately for others there are lots of options but Sitka has a SPECIFIC product line for Whitetail hunting which allows me to stay on stand from September to January. The Midwest winds are brutal at times.

21-Nov-18
Sanctuary jacket and bibs on sale right now.

Jacket $280

Bibs $240

21-Nov-18
Get the Woodbury jacket for $140, better choice than the Sanctuary. You can throw a layer under. You can get a great system with the Woodbury Jacket and the Sanctuary bibs right now for less money than just the Sitka jacket.

21-Nov-18
I would have bought first lite but they stopped selling the ASAT to save money. Their camo I'm not a fan of. If any of you have some first lite bibs in ASAT and want to get rid of let me know xxl.

21-Nov-18

standswittaknife's Link
These are hard to find.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Lite-Sanctuary-Bibs-XL-ASAT/233014367915?hash=item3640bd16ab:g:LTwAAOSwAx9b9Mpb

21-Nov-18
Woodbury is available in ASAT in some sizes.

21-Nov-18
I did the same as ACB and bought a ASAT leafy suit. I put to put over my Sitka EV 2. Best of both worlds. The fit and feel of the sitka just works better for me. For me the Fanatic bibs are more true to size (2XL).

I do have some First Lite (base layers, unpronounceable jacket) and it fits well. I tired on a 3XL Sanctuary bibs and they were too tight in the stomach area.

21-Nov-18
I’ve had the Sitka fanatic suit and the sanctuary suit but was never happy with the slight noise they both had in cold dead calm weather. I use the Cabela’s stand hunter coveralls and love it. It’s pretty heavy but dead quiet and unbelievably warm. I carry the suit to my stand and put it on there. My search is over.

• Sitka Gear