Heat 20-Nov-18
Owl 20-Nov-18
t-roy 20-Nov-18
jordanathome 20-Nov-18
bigswivle 20-Nov-18
BOHNTR 20-Nov-18
elk yinzer 20-Nov-18
20-Nov-18
It seems like Western hunters often choose Sitka, First Lite, or Kuiu as though they are rooting for their favorite team. If you're rooting for an actual sports team it makes sense. But is it really a good idea to line up with a clothing manufacturer as though you're on their team?

I prefer to look at my clothing as more of a Fantasy Team. This way I can pick a base layer from one company, pants from another, and... well, you got the idea.

What kind of a team player are you?

20-Nov-18
My fantasy team consists of Sitka, kuiu, cabelas outfitter and soon to be first lite for all my hunting. Whether I am chasing elk in the mountains, mule deer on the plains, whitetails in the Midwest or coyotes where ever I can find them. I run a mix bag of camo colors as well as solid colors.

Some of my favorite pieces are Sitka jet stream jacket. Probably my most loved piece of clothing. Kuiu attack pants. It took me a while to warm up to them but now I love them.

20-Nov-18
You have too much time on your hands.

20-Nov-18
I wear all three...I also have ice breaker, smartwool, kryptek, and some others. I just buy whatever works the best for me!

20-Nov-18
I root for whatever team it is that no piece of clothing is over $100 and most of it is under $50. I stay dry and comfortable from Texas to Alaska hunting from a truck or a backpack. I might splurge on boots. :^)

20-Nov-18
I do what you do. I pick what I think the best gear is to suit my needs. Various hunting forums are my “go to” source for research.

I keep seeing a thread over and over again touting a well-known hunter’s “gear list” after years of experimenting. The first time I saw it I was excited to check it out. Turns out the “gear list” is basically every piece of clothing/accessories Sitka sells. Lol then I remembered he is totally sponsored by them.

20-Nov-18
I use all three as well :)

20-Nov-18
I'd be what you call a mongrel.

20-Nov-18
Generally there are two types of bow hunters, brand loyal, everything must match guys and nothing matches guys. I’m OCD so everything must match.

Very nice we can each decide independently.

20-Nov-18
All three . . . . All the time.

I like Sitka jackets, but Kuiu makes better pants. Side zips?. . . . YES PLEASE!

I'm a sweater! Can I have pit zips in EVERYTHING?

First Lite is easily the best value merino wool of all three. All my base layers are First Lite. I've never tried any of the First Lite outer garments, but that day is probably coming

Other than these 3, the rest of my clothing gear includes Icebreaker (I wear an Icebreaker Merino wool t-shirt EVERY DAY. Even to bed. 24 hrs a day, I'm in an Icebreaker T), Smartwool socks, Duluth unmentionables, and I'm a big Gerbing heated vest fan as well. Just bought my second one

20-Nov-18
First lite Sanctuary suit is my go to cold weather.....................base merino whatever I get on sale

20-Nov-18
I'll take hand-me-downs or a sponsor please. Any of the three. :)

20-Nov-18
I am like most. A hybrid. If I’m in the back 40 I might use heavier Cabela’s type wool or fleece items. Maybe even Carhardts. When weight matters I use Sitka and Kuiu. I’m not real happy with Kryptek quality. The thing I like about the high dollar clothing is after 7-14 days wearing the same item it keeps its shape and fit. For comparison low quality pants are 6” longer and the crotch is hanging to the knees after one day.

20-Nov-18
All First Lite for me.

20-Nov-18
I used Sitka for years, but had issues with zippers and what not. Kuiu and Kryptek are both nice, but doesn't fit me well. I used Onca Gear for a few years, but it's hard to get stuff cause they are made in Spain. Badlands is great stuff, their Wasatch jacket is unbelievable. I started using Eberlestock products this year, and have been pleasantly surprised in the quality of clothing. We'll see how they hold up to the granite and cactus of Arizona next month. I liked how the ASAT stuff fit me, and between ASAT and Eberlestock, it was a toss up this fall. But I love the solid Afterburner pants from Eberlestock, and King's is sending me a few pair of their XKG Preacher pants. So, we'll see.

20-Nov-18
I’m not sponsored or anything like that. But I prefer Sitka after trying all three over the years. Sitka seems to be the best to me.

Oh and I don’t care one bit about sports teams

20-Nov-18
I was wearing kuiu pants and a first lite shirt when i shot my bull this year. I did change into my kuiu shirt for pics... am i a bad person ?

20-Nov-18
I am a mutt. Unless the deer and elk start checking tags on my clothing, I will continue to buy what works for me and my pocketbook.

20-Nov-18

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
I’m usually wearing all 3 all year. Kuiu Attack pants are the best pant out there IMO. Kuiu Merino wool gloves are the only glove I’ve found I can shoot in and not have it affect my shot at all. My First light hoodie is always my base layer up top, and the Sitka Fanatic hoodie is one of my favorite pieces of clothing due to the built in neck/face gator and the built in mittens. I have lots of all 3 company’s stuff and wear what I think is best. If I lost any one of the pieces above, I’d replace them with the exact same thing.

20-Nov-18
When chasing elk in mid to late September my Fantasy Team includes: First Lite base layer shirt, Exofficio boxer briefs, Kuiu Attack pants, and Sitka 90% jacket. Hat depends on weather. Might be a $5 fleece beanie from Walmart.

20-Nov-18
I'll look into those Kuiu attack pants. My First Lite Kanab 2.0 pants don't even make it one season before they're full of holes. They are an expensive consumable!!!!

20-Nov-18
I just wear flannel and dickies...but I put all of their stickers on my truck ;?)

20-Nov-18
I'm the truest of team players. I let my buddies take home and wear all the fanciest gear, while I generally pick up what's on sale. Every now and then I put out the effort and money to take home top quality though.

We are talking about clothes, right?

20-Nov-18
The attack pants are ok. The First Lite corrugates are way more comfortable. The attack are a little thicker and will get you later into the year with just the pants alone.

If you need a 3xl top of any kind Sitka is the only company to make one that even comes close to fitting.

Just my opinion but paying a premium for any baselayer made by the 3 is a waste of money. For merino places like Sierra Trading post are awesome for discounts.

20-Nov-18
I use all 3. Just started investing in KUIU and really like it so far. I have the Sitka pants and Jetstream jacket, and love it! I have the first lite merino shirts, rain gear, and cold weather gear. I like them as well. My only complaint with First Lite is the merino wool shirts unravel over time. KUIU seems to make a more robust merino shirt. I also don't like that First Lite got away from ASAT and are now exclusively using their own camo. Other than that, all great stuff from all 3!

20-Nov-18
yes blind brand loyalty is a good thing

20-Nov-18
I'm sponsored by On Sale, so I pretty much have to go with that wherever I hunt.

20-Nov-18
I’m in the combination of many brands bunch. Basically what Lou said. On sale gets my purchase when needed.

20-Nov-18

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
My system is nothing but FL base layers and Predator for the outers - I love predator camo patterns. I just wish the clothing was more technically advanced like some of the others in this thread. Also have an ASAT leafy I mostly wear turkey hunting or ground hunting whitetails, especially if i sit in corn.

The only other garment I wear as a mid layer is Cabelas thermal zone stand hunter top.... which will burn you up if you try to walk around in it.

20-Nov-18
I like First Lite's wool. Have 3 of their tops, two thin ones one thick one. Also have the Kanab 2.0 pants but I'm not particularly impressed with those. Have Kuiu Attack pants that I don't wear much for hunting. Same with my Kuiu Guide jacket. Both are solids that are worn more generally. By far I have more Cabelas in Outfitter Camo in various synthetic versions including Microtex and a few fleece tops.

20-Nov-18
Ex Officio, FIrst Lite Merino and then top it off with layers of Kuiu. I only own 1 pair of Sitka pants. My Kuiu Puffy jacket was the single best piece of gear I've bought for hunting on my feet.

20-Nov-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I’m kinda like APauls, a mongrel too. I’m kind of partial to first lite base layers. They seem to me to be the most comfortable and softest.

20-Nov-18
All I know is the Sitka warranty is the real deal. Buy it once....sure it costs alot.....but you never have to buy it again. Wear it out and they replace. Free. With brand new stuff. Nuf said. That is my rain gear. The rest is a miss match bunch of whatever. Camo...really.....gimme a break.

20-Nov-18
I’ve got to much invested in under armor junk to buy anything else. Lmao, it is JUNK. I do have a Sitka beanie though

20-Nov-18
I own all three.....mix and match them all depending on what I'm hunting. If I had to choose just one, it would probably be Kuiu, but all three are quality gear.

20-Nov-18
Do team kuiu, sitka etc. dudes (and don't forget the "huntresses") have some kinda rivalry? Like when a team sitka dude or dudette sees a team kuiu dude or dudette are they secretly rooting for them to yank the shot or sprain an ankle?

I mean I get it, sports were brought up by comparison and I pray for forgiveness on Sundays for some things I've wished upon the likes of Wilson, Ovie, Burfict, Lewis, et al. in the heat of the moment

Conversely is it all warm and fuzzies when fellow mountain athlete pokes something while wearing his teams' fave mountain athleisure? Always wondered that about the camo matchers?

• Sitka Gear