Mule Power 24-Nov-18
Bigdan 24-Nov-18
Jaquomo 24-Nov-18
Jaquomo 24-Nov-18
CPAhunter 24-Nov-18
Glunt@work 25-Nov-18
ELKMAN 25-Nov-18
20-Nov-18
So, I've made the decision to move to either Montana or Wyoming in the next few years. I am just not content with what is happening in Colorado for a variety of different reasons but primarily the political landscape and drastic population increase.. But with that said, I am pretty familiar with how Wyoming's hunting structures work. But can someone give me a simple answer to hunting opportunities available to MT residents for mule deer and elk (archery and rifle).. Are tags OTC? Are licenses draw only or are some units OTC? BLM and National Forest available to hunt? I believe I've heard that the public land available is limited due to the large amount of old private ranches, etc. Just gathering general info right now..

20-Nov-18
IDAHO

20-Nov-18
Congrats man! Enjoy the process

20-Nov-18
Ok.. Give me the low down on Idaho related to hunting opportunities

20-Nov-18
MT has lots of public land, although there are some checkerboard problems. I personally don't know how the resident licensing works, but mostly all the guys living there seem to be happy with the opportunities. I hear/read where Idaho has some of the same problems as Colorado, so not sure that would be recommended. It probably is much more confined in Idaho, but the same can be probably be said for Montana (Bozeman, etc.), and even Wyoming (Jackson Hole) to some degree.

20-Nov-18
There was a recent thread on this I started ... should come up in the search ... lots of good info in there.

20-Nov-18

midwest's Link
Here ya go COHOYTHUNTER...

20-Nov-18
I have nothing to add to this, but I'm jealous for sure.

20-Nov-18
Wether you choose MT or WY, public land hunting for deer, elk and antelope is pretty crowded and the target age structure is rather young. Many of the claims of taking animals on public land are Trumpian in nature. Yeah it's public but you need access through private to get there.

20-Nov-18
Well, I’ll try to explain ... as a resident.

Montana has both over-the-counter (OTC) elk and deer licenses. These are typically referred to as an “A License” or “General License/Tag” (there are no “tags” in Montana everything is either a license or a permit). So, to get a deer or elk license you go to an authorized hunting license dealer and purchase one say Wal-Mart, Scheels, Cabelas, Sportsman’s Warehouse, others (price vary depending on whether your a youth, disabled, senior, etc. but they are around $16 for deer and $20 for an elk for a resident). For Elk: The A license is good in those hunting districts (not units) that allow you to hunt elk using your elk A license. There are a lot of hunting districts that this is allowed (you need to check hunting regulation every year, because things change). Now, there is an elk “B license” that you need to apply for through a drawing. The elk B license is an antlerless (cow) license. Furthermore, there is an elk permit that you also can get through the drawing. The elk permit allows you to hunt those hunting districts that do not allow you to hunt using your elk A license. (Think of it this way ... the elk permit ... permits you to hunt using your elk A license). If you have a permit and harvest an animal, you put your elk A license on the dead elk. So, to sum it up (very quickly): Elk A License Elk B License Elk Permit. Similar explaination for the deer A license, B license and deer permit.

Now I’m confused ... just kidding. I grew up here, so it makes sense to me.

20-Nov-18
LOL. Wasn't that you that said Wyoming hands down in the other thread?

21-Nov-18
Not me ... I love it here in Montana. I travel to Wyoming for my job, occasionally, and have seen some big bulls in the back of some Wyoming trucks.

21-Nov-18
Love Montana, but my friend in Western Wyoming kills much bigger deer and much bigger elk than nearly anyone I know in Montana. Exceptions in some special draw areas, but Wyoming has great areas to hunt. Not sure how access rates in Wyoming for hunting, but I hate the stream access rules in Wyoming. but that's just me. My friend floats the rivers and catches tons of HUGE trout.

21-Nov-18
I just moved to Colo. that was a major improvement. Hunting was not the driver as there are hiways and airports that get me to hunting places. The drivers were taxes and weather.

21-Nov-18
Sorry JMG, that was directed to the OP, not you.

21-Nov-18
Franzen.. Not hands down, but strongly leaning towards Wyo.. But probably b/c I have first hand experience in Wyoming.. but now that I am facing the same question, MT is on the table and before I fully commit one way or the other, I would like to gather as much intel as much as possible about both..

21-Nov-18
Yes, I believe WY would be my choice between the 2.

ElkNut/Paul

21-Nov-18
What are you going to do when you get there? Are you single? Retired? Kids? Big game only? Fishing? I ask these because I've seen more than one guy come from Colorado (depending on what part of Colorado) only to find it pretty remote compared to Colorado and Momma can't handle it and if Momma ain't happy then you're moving back!!!!! What part of Wyoming or Montana they are both huge with completely different regions regarding hunting, fishing and political view points and populations?

22-Nov-18
Here's a few video's to compare :)

Wyoming - https://vimeo.com/139020372

https://vimeo.com/108091856

Montana - https://youtu.be/nZOtwhhKsBE

With all that said, you better really like the cold and long winters both Montana and Wyoming have. Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Nev are the banana belt comparted to Montana and Wyoming. Idaho is a bit of all the above. A couple examples. The start of the Montana vid from this year is the worst mosquitos I've ever encountered. The Scouting Wyo 2015 I had to wear my rain gear with bug spray lathered on my face to keep them off me. Last year Billings had 103" of snowfall in town and 35 days with highs below zero.

Like Lonebull said above, you better know what you're getting into and better be prepared to harden up... a lot hehehehehehehe

23-Nov-18
If you are planning the move, if time it right to become a resident (6 months) in Montana you can buy a general season elk or deer tag. Good luck and remember there is more work is certain parts of Montana depending on what you do for a living.

23-Nov-18
If you are a Wyoming resident you can easily draw a Montana elk tag every year. If you live in Montana you are lucky tobdraw a Wyoming elk tag every 2-3 years.

If you live in Wyoming you can buy deer tags over the counter that takes non residents 7 years to draw.

Wyoming has more antelope than people. Fact.

If you are a Wyoming resident you can freely hunt wilderness areas that are off limits to diy non residents.

If you are a Wyoming resident I don’t have to compete with you in license drawings! Haha

All good reasons to pick Wyoming. I was a Montana resident for 12 years. The next time I grow roots out west there’s no question it’ll be in Wyoming.

23-Nov-18
Wyoming

24-Nov-18
OK, so WY gets the nod here. So what city (cities) would be best to investigate first. Initial criteria would be jobs, available housing and proximity to hunting area.

Imagine there would be 2 lists: one for bachelors or older retired couples and another for younger families (school systems) or wives that need to be reasonably close to their favorite stores?

I plan on putting boots on the ground, er pavement, next summer to start my search.

24-Nov-18
Why wait til next summer? Go now and get the full experience of Wyoming winter & wind :>)

24-Nov-18
Rock Springs. Laramie and Cheyenne maybe but I prefer the west side. Unlimited public land.

24-Nov-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
End less possibilities in Wyoming

24-Nov-18
If your wife needs to be close to her favorite stores, then Cheyenne is the place. Every Saturday its a parade down to Fort Collins from Cheyenne to shop.

Laramie is great if you enjoy wind, ice fishing, and winter sports (in the wind). And it's only a little over an hour to Fort Collins.

Casper isnt horrible and puts you in the middle of the state within striking distance of a lot of stuff, including great fishing.

Are you married with kids? Do yourself a favor and go stay in a motel for a few weekends in the winter in some different Wyoming towns. Coming from CO, you'll find a pretty drastic difference in the climate. I wanted to move to WY 20 years ago but my wife wouldn't agree.

24-Nov-18
Back when Aaron Johnson was being transferred to Cheyenne for his career, he and his wife were struggling with where to live. I tried to convince them to settle in Cheyenne for the hunting opportunities.

I still laugh when I remember her reply to me - "We're not living in Wyoming just so Aaron can get some hunting licenses!"

24-Nov-18
No state income tax in Wyoming.

25-Nov-18
Wyoming has 1/2 the population of MT. MT is bigger, but not twice as big. I considered MT and flew up there to interview. Would have no problems living there. I escape Colorado and hang out in Wyoming pretty often and it would be my choice. My advise would be Wyoming far enough north and/or west to eliminate the Colorado weekend crowd.

25-Nov-18
For Elk and Mule deer ONLY I would say Wyoming. For EVERYTHING else it is Montana and it's not close. Montana just has more diversity, and more opportunity when it come's an outdoor/hunting lifestyle.

• Sitka Gear