buzz mc 30-Nov-18
Iowabowhunter 07-Dec-18
deerslayer 07-Dec-18
21-Nov-18

axle2axle's embedded Photo
Brown Bear & my gear
Brown Bear & my gear
It has been two years since my disastrous first trip to Bob Ameen's Kodiak Buck Shack. As some of you may recall from 2016, a pair of brown bears decided to take my buddy's buck while we were deboning it...and separated us from our bows, backpacks and other gear. We killed the first bear with .44 magnum revolvers...only to discover his stunt double coming in moments later. Since we were nearly out of ammo in our revolvers, we instinctively backed away from the site...which the second bear and a few of his closest relatives claimed for the next four days. Long story short, my buddy had had enough of bears and flew back to Kodiak while I gathered up buried gear and rotten bear parts for the fish & game on day 6, and our trip was done. We had hunted a total of 3 hours' time on the first day. In over 40 years of bowhunting, this was the first time I was faced with a situation so far out of my control that it felt like complete failure. And I hate failure. So, two months later, I spoke to Bob Ameen...and in December 2016, he graciously allowed me to book the Buck Shack again for the month of November 2018. What follows is a story of redemption, Kodiak bowhunting style! My hunting partner for this trip is Joe Dietrich from Arizona (buglethemin)...and together, we tag teamed the Sitka Blacktails with our bows...alternating kills on subsequent days during our 11-day trip...and splitting the pack out weight between us on each deer. If bowhunting Sitka Blacktails is on your bucket list...or if you just want to follow along for fun, I will now chronicle our day-to-day activities and share some photos from our successful trip. We both hope you enjoy what you see and read. Kevin

21-Nov-18

Cessna 180 Skywagon on Bumble Bay
Cessna 180 Skywagon on Bumble Bay
On Halloween Day, Taj Shoemaker of Island Air put us on the beach with his Cessna 180 Skywagon. Like many before us, we hauled our gear up to the Buck Shack from the beach using the well-worn trail we respectfully named the "Inchon Mud Trail" in remembrance of the tidal mud encountered by U.S. Marines during the Korean War era amphibious landing of the same name. For those of you who have not experienced it yet...it is a steep, slimy, slippery trail with dark gray mud the consistency of axle grease mixed with used motor oil. It's tough enough to walk on normally, but loaded down with weight makes it extremely difficult to climb or descend without a trekking pole for stability.

21-Nov-18

Our gear on the beach
Our gear on the beach

21-Nov-18
Looking forward to the story! This is on my bucket list.

21-Nov-18
Looking forward to this as well.

21-Nov-18
Right on, this is going to be good! Bring it.

21-Nov-18

The Inchon Mud Trail
The Inchon Mud Trail
As quickly as possible, we set one of Bob's five-gallon water containers under the "spring pipe" to begin filling, then chopped weeds and grass along the "meat hanging" side of the Buck Shack so we could erect the electric bear fence I had borrowed from Ed Fanchin (BOWUNTR). Our goal was to dissuade bears from stealing our meat once we started hanging it there during our hunt. After chores were completed, we organized gear, assembled arrows, loaded our packs and headed out for a short evening hike. Deer were everywhere and we easily spotted over 15 bucks and as many does just on Cabin Ridge alone, which is visible through the small Buck Shack windows directly across a muskeg bench above the beach. We brought a soft sided cooler with meat for a few days...and tonight dinner consisted of blackened salmon with sautéed asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms and rice. The galley in the Buck Shack is top notch and we certainly made the most of it during our trip.

21-Nov-18
Redemption I guess!

Here we go!!!

Mark

21-Nov-18

21-Nov-18
Wow! Looking forward to the rest! Thanks for sharing.

21-Nov-18

The Inchon Mud Trail
The Inchon Mud Trail

21-Nov-18

Ed F's loaner bear fence
Ed F's loaner bear fence

21-Nov-18

Blackened Salmon for Chow
Blackened Salmon for Chow

21-Nov-18
Nighttime in the Shack is also a special time. With the windows cracked to let in some fresh air, the surf crashing below is clearly heard and is a real treat. The volume level changes with tide and surf intensity, but in any case, will put you to sleep like a hypnotist. Very relaxing sleep follows as you dream of close encounters with Sitka Blacktail bucks in the days to follow! Kevin

21-Nov-18
Sweet! Really looking forward to this tale as Kodiak is a dream hunt for me!

21-Nov-18

We woke to clear skies with thousands of stars above. It was 27 degrees outside with 10-mph wind. Bob has an anemometer mounted to a mast above the Shack with a digital readout inside. It was fun to watch the wind speed on the display, especially when it really picked up or during high speed gusts that sounded like we would be swept off the cliff we were perched on. We spent the day hunting Cabin Ridge. We spotted several good bucks there and most of them wanted to hang out just below the rock pinnacles on top. Although the rut was beginning, the does didn't seem to appreciate the buck's advances and kept in front of them while trying to feed. Joe and I used the pinnacles to our advantage and worked around the back side of them while peeking over the edge periodically in the gaps between the massive rocks. By late afternoon, I got in position for a stalk from above and shot a good 3x3 buck at 25 yards. Nearly every deer we shot on this trip went all the way to the bottom for a follow up shot or recovery...something we simply accepted as a "law of physics" and tried to take advantage of when it was on the camp-side of the hill. We broke the buck down as quickly as possible and headed across the muskeg bench as darkness fell. The trek back to the Shack by headlamp was clearly more difficult than during the day with plenty of boot-grabbing alder brush hiding in the grass and muskeg to trip you up. Once back to the Shack, we de-energized the bear fence, hung the meat and cape from the hooks under the eaves, re-energized the fence, then settled in for some chow and a good night's sleep. Pan-fried chicken thighs, mac-n-cheese with Mexicorn for dinner tonight. All-in-all, a great first day start for our hunt. Kevin

21-Nov-18

Kev's buck #1
Kev's buck #1

21-Nov-18
Great adventure! Special hunts make special memories. And no doubt a bit electrified with the backdrop of you previous hunt playing in your head.

21-Nov-18

Joe & I in the alpine tundra
Joe & I in the alpine tundra
[Fri, Nov 2nd, 2018] Strong winds and cloudy skies greeted us this morning...and rain followed, but was light. Joe was up to bat and decided to go after a heavy beamed 3x3 hanging out on top of Nasty Ridge. Nasty Ridge is also visible from the Shack on the north side of Low Saddle, which separates it from Cabin Ridge. Joe was ultimately busted by the switching winds on top without a shot, but he got his exercise for the morning in the process. From there, we crossed Low Saddle and rounded the corner while climbing upward behind High Saddle. The driving wind out of the south made stalking the bucks on the north side of Cabin Ridge difficult, but late in the afternoon, Joe managed to sneak down a rock face to get on six bucks just before dark. The bucks were feeding on the edge of the alpine tundra bowl below High Saddle. Around 4:45pm, Joe ignored the smaller bucks only a few yards away from him, and took a 55-yard shot at the biggest buck in the group and missed...just high. Watching this group of bucks moving upward through the carpet of green alpine tundra then skylight themselves together on High Saddle before disappearing on the other side, made it worth the price of admission! Fatigued by another long day's hike, Joe's close miss ended our day of hunting and we headed back to camp. Hot links and veggies for chow tonight, which marks the end of the fresh meat we brought along on this trip. From this point forward, we either had fresh venison or some canned meat that allowed us to mix up the menu. Kevin

21-Nov-18

Joe with lakes in the background
Joe with lakes in the background
[Sat, Nov 3rd, 2018] Clear night skies found us cruising down the beach by headlamp while predawn surf rolled in next to us as we walked below the bluffs. We were trying to cover part of the hike while it was still dark so we didn't waste any daylight that could be better spent stalking deer. We scaled the razorback ridge on the grassy bluff leading up from the beach and arrived on top of the muskeg bench at the base of Nasty Ridge as dawn arrived. We glassed several good bucks at the base of and up high on Cabin Ridge, so we wasted no time crossing over Low Saddle and around the back side of Cabin Ridge as we had done the day before.

21-Nov-18

Kev on a tundra trail behind Cabin Ridge
Kev on a tundra trail behind Cabin Ridge
High winds were switching around like crazy on top, and turned what we thought would be an easy day of stalking into something much more difficult. Several hours later, Joe and I spotted a good 3x2 buck bedded below a pinnacle near the west end of the ridge staring our over the ocean. Joe made a perfect stalk using the pinnacle as a pick play, and arrowed the buck in his bed while I looked on from a distance through binoculars.

21-Nov-18

Joe glassing up his buck!
Joe glassing up his buck!

21-Nov-18

Joe's buck #1
Joe's buck #1
After the recovery, photos were snapped and the buck broken down for the free ride back to camp. With two bucks down, we were off to a good start, and looking forward to what lie ahead with so many days left to hunt!

21-Nov-18

Joe enjoying Sitka Blacktail tenderloin fajitas
Joe enjoying Sitka Blacktail tenderloin fajitas
We sat on Bob's deck and enjoyed a beverage and the "million dollar view" of Bumble Bay. Our sea lion pals were still hanging around in the swells near the beach and seemed to enjoy our daily walks in front of them. Ultimately, the sunlight waned from view, so we headed inside to light the lanterns and prepare a meal. Dinner was a real treat this evening as we dined on Sitka Blacktail tenderloin fajitas with fresh bell peppers and onions, diced chilies, and served with flour tortillas, refried beans, grated cheddar cheese and Cholula hot sauce! We were eating like kings! Another great day to be on Kodiak! Kevin

21-Nov-18

Heading down to the beach by headlamp
Heading down to the beach by headlamp
[Sun, Nov 4th, 2018] Clear skies and plenty of stars were above when we woke this morning. With Joe's first buck hanging under the Buck Shack eaves behind Ed's electric bear fence, I knew I was up to bat today and I couldn't have been happier! We made breakfast and headed down the beach by headlamp again, only the destination this time was Roy's Saddle Basin and the ridges that surround this area. The tide was up so we used the High Tide Trail to access the lowest saddle on Nasty Ridge, which is very close to a large rock formation we named "Moby Dick Rock" because it looks very similar to a giant whale...mouth and all...from a distance. Before reaching this ridge, however, we had already spotted several bucks with does cruising the trail and ducking over the ridge in front of us. Our confidence was high that this would be a good day to get another buck.

21-Nov-18
Awesome. I'm not even sure I could call this a bucket list being a non-resident, but man I want to do this hunt!! Thanks for sharing I look forward to checking back on it!

21-Nov-18

Roy's Saddle Basin
Roy's Saddle Basin
Once over the ridge we settled in to glass the surrounding area. We spotted several other bucks in the area, including two larger 3x3 bucks with much heavier antler mass than the others we were seeing. And then we saw them! A large brown bear sow and her two cubs! Fortunately, they were on the move away from us, and while the cubs were preoccupied wrestling together, their reluctantly patient mom would pause occasionally waiting for them to catch up. Eventually, the trio made their way through Roy's Saddle and out of sight. A truly spectacular sight to see from a safe distance! My attention returned to the large 3x3's, and I decided to make a play for one of those bucks. During my stalk, however, while out of sight behind the rock ridge, another larger 4x4 buck showed up and pushed both big 3x3's out of the area. This would not be the last time we'd see this big 4x4 buck...and he dwarfed the other bucks around him. Later that day I had another stalk on a good 3x3, but switching winds betrayed me and pushed the buck from his bed and out of range before I could get a shot. My final stalk of the day was on a 3x2 buck bedded at the base of a large, jagged rock pile that extended from the top of the ridge to a point roughly half way down. The rocks would provide perfect cover if I could pass through the alder brush that surrounded the rocks without being detected. The wind was steady now out of the north, but the wind speed had increased and the gusts were beginning to push me backward as I slowly crept down the ridge from rock pile to rock pile. I rounded one large rock only to find a bedded doe no more than 5 yards below me sound asleep with her head tucked into her belly. I was immediately thankful this was not a sleeping bear instead...having just seen some earlier this morning! She eventually caught my scent, rose from her bed and walked calmly away. I continued to stalk. Reaching the last jagged rock pile, I peeked over and saw the bedded buck below. I ranged the buck at 43 yards...with and ARC (horizontal) range of 29 yards. My first shot was high...burying in the dirt directly on top of the bedded buck. He snapped is head as if now alert, but didn't move. I nocked and drew a second arrow, but the wind began to gust and I couldn't hold my bow on target. What seemed like a minute passed as I fought the wind and continued to hold at full draw...then the wind began to slow...I settled the pin and released the shot. This produced a spinal hit, which disabled the buck. After closing the distance between us, a second arrow put the buck down for good.

21-Nov-18

Kev's buck #2
Kev's buck #2
We took some photos, and broke the buck down, while constantly watching for the bears we had seen pass through this very spot just hours before. Once loaded up with meat, cape, and antlers, we made our way through the thick alder patches and muskeg flat to the bluffs above the beach. We continued down and reached the beach about an hour or so before low tide, but we were able to carefully pick our way through the long rocky section that was still wet from the receding tide. Once we covered the entire length of the beach on foot, a final hump up the Inchon Mud Trail and we were back at the shack with Buck #3 of the trip.

21-Nov-18

Nasty Ridge at sunset
Nasty Ridge at sunset
We hung out on the deck while the sun set, then made chicken fettucine Alfredo for dinner using canned chicken, two box mixes, a can of condensed milk, and fresh broccoli. I made some notes in my journal, then we hit the rack and drifted off to sleep listening to the surf pound below. Kevin

21-Nov-18

Cabin Ridge at sunset
Cabin Ridge at sunset

21-Nov-18
Awesome thread, looking forward to the next installment!

21-Nov-18
Keep it coming!! Can’t get enough of this stuff.

21-Nov-18

Joe glassing toward the Red River Knobs
Joe glassing toward the Red River Knobs
[Mon, Nov 5th, 2018] We woke to another clear night sky, and I thought to myself...we must be living right to have such beautiful weather during our hunt! Joe was up to bat today, and our spirits were high! Today we headed down the beach, then up the bluff toward Low Saddle. While crossing to the left of the thick alder brush and muskeg flat, Joe was on point about 25 yards in front of me. He snaps me out of my daydream by saying "BEAR!" We immediately reversed direction and walked back to a large boulder and climbed up on top to get a better view. From our vantage point, we could see the two cubs from the day before playing. Joe says "HEY BEAR!" in a firm voice and mama bear stood up from an alder patch and faced us...roughly 100 yards away. Once she spotted us together on the boulder, she darted away with her two cubs in tow. We were both relieved by her good judgement! We waited for her to cross over Low Saddle...waited a few minutes longer...then followed her path up to the top and looked over. Since we had two deer carcasses at the base of Cabin Ridge...and now one at the mouth of Roy's Saddle...we wanted to hunt the back side of Cabin Ridge and out toward the Red River Knobs. Passing to the right of Low Saddle and rounding the corner toward High Saddle, we passed below a rock formation we named "Trojan Horse Rock" because it looks like a huge bedded horse from the direction we were hiking. Lying in the alpine tundra we glassed no fewer than 10 good bucks bedded along the back side of Cabin Ridge. We immediately lost any desire to continue on toward the Knobs and focused on the bucks in front of us instead.

21-Nov-18

Joe spotting deer in the pinnacles
Joe spotting deer in the pinnacles
The wind turned out to be our worst enemy on either side of the ridge as we cross stitched from side to side past the jagged pinnacles on top. Bucks kept bailing from their beds as the wind continued to betray us at every turn. Joe finally says "lets check that last pinnacle where I shot my first buck and see if anything is there!" Amazingly, there was a 3x3 buck lying in the same exact bed...and he was also staring off over the ocean! Joe made the identical stalk as the one from two days earlier and arrowed the buck at 12 yards as it stood from its bed and gawked at him kneeling next to the jagged rock pinnacle like a statue at full draw! The buck traveled roughly 50 yards and piled in. Unlike the other bucks we had killed, this one hung up on some alder brush and didn't roll all the way to the bottom of the hill before stopping.

21-Nov-18
This is fantastic...Great adventure.

21-Nov-18

Joe's buck #2
Joe's buck #2
We snapped photos, broke him down quickly and headed back to camp. We had now killed four bucks in just five days' time! The meat hooks were getting filled under the eaves on the Buck Shack and Ed's bear fence gave us hope nothing would still our meat. We sat on Bob's comfortable deck at sunset and watched the orange glow fade on the faces of Cabin Ridge and Nasty Ridge across Bumble Bay...a truly spectacular view!

21-Nov-18

Sitka Blacktail backstrap medallion steaks
Sitka Blacktail backstrap medallion steaks
For chow we ate pan seared Sitka Blacktail backstrap medallion steaks with sautéed veggies and a cold Alaskan Amber. What a fine finish to a great day bowhunting on Kodiak! Kevin

21-Nov-18
This is great! You guys did very well. The weather was awesome that week for hunting and the deer were all over. Great year to be hunting kodiak. Congrats, looking forward to the rest!

21-Nov-18
Loving this thread. Brings back great memories from one of my all time favorite hunts. Look forward to the rest.

21-Nov-18
Sounds amazing, great pictures. I am jealous!

21-Nov-18

Joe keeping an eye on my failed stalk
Joe keeping an eye on my failed stalk
[Tues, Nov 6th, 2018] Today it's cold and cloudy with strong winds. The morning temperature was 38 degrees and it would drop to 34 by afternoon. I'm up in the rotation today...so it's game on! Deer movement seemed to slow and bucks were less visible initially than previous days. We cruised down the beach, up the bluff, and jumped on the High Tide Trail heading for Roy's Saddle Basin. Once over the rim of the basin, we quickly spotted a good 3x4 buck and a heavy bodied 3x3. The 3x3 was a bigger deer and pushed the 3x4 around with ease. He eventually pushed the 3x4 off his does, then up and over Nasty Ridge. Once over the top I followed up the ridge in hopes of locating them and attempting a stalk. Nasty Ridge has certainly earned its name, with towering rock pinnacles, many of which are too steep to climb safely while others have thin razorback edges with thick alder brush skirting them making progress difficult climbing uphill with a bow in your hand. Despite these obstacles, I was able to climb to the top and locate both bucks. The 3x4 was bedded roughly 150 yards down the steep backside of the ridge, and the heavy 3x3 was pushing a doe back up toward the top in front of me. He was totally preoccupied with his doe and looked as though he would end up in a good location for a shot if I could only get there in time before they crested the ridge for a second time. Unfortunately, they were faster than I was and made it over the top before I could get into position. To make matters worse, the doe immediately fed up the ridge on the far side of a small saddle between us, putting me in direct line-of-sight if I moved. So there I lie on my belly...91 yards away...pinned down on a thin, alpine tundra covered razorback ridge watching the buck push her from side to side as she used a small pinnacle as a pick play to keep away from him. For nearly an hour I watched and waited for an opportunity to advance while the icy wind attempted to turn me into a human popsicle. Finally, the doe made her break to escape and dashed back over the ridge in the direction they had come while the big 3x3 chased her down and stopper her roughly 30 yards from the ridgeline. This was my chance to close the gap and get the shot opportunity I had hoped for. I slid to the opposite side of the razorback ridge from the deer and got to my feet. I moved ahead quickly about ten steps only to run face-to-face into a spike buck that had snuck in out of sight from my pinned down location. The spike came unglued in front of me and bounded away at top speed, taking the same path as the big 3x3 and his doe...and that was game over for this stalk. A true opportunity lost, but that's bowhunting! A few smaller bucks still lie in their beds below me, but my will to pursue them was nonexistent having been so close to getting a shot at a stud buck of this caliber. Joe and I regrouped, tried to laugh off the failed stalk, then headed back to the Buck Shack to warm up and make some chow.

21-Nov-18

Washed up Buck on the beach
Washed up Buck on the beach
Once we dropped off the bluff and onto the beach, Joe spotted a dead deer in the sand. The tide had left it there while we were hunting. It was a badly battered buck with broken antlers and legs contorted and bent in the wrong direction. It wasn't clear what killed this deer, but birds and foxes had been feeding on it during the day...so we were grateful bears had not discovered it yet! It was extremely heavy as if the chest cavity were filled with sand, but I drug it down to the surf line anyway, hoping the next tide would return it to the sea and off the beach we walk on every day!

21-Nov-18

Kev on the deck
Kev on the deck
Back at the Shack, we hauled more drinking water from the spring, sat on the deck for a few minutes, then made some dinner. Although disappointed in today's outcome, we are both hopeful we can fill our remaining tags during the last four days of hunting. All-in-all, a great effort on a beautiful buck, and I couldn't have been happier! Kevin

21-Nov-18
Glad to see that this trip went much better than your first. Congratulations on a great hunt!! That mother bear and her two cubs must have been the ones that left the tracks on the beach when my friend and I were there in September, even though we never saw her or any others. Can’t wait to hear the rest of your hunt.

21-Nov-18

Kev preparing chicken fajitas
Kev preparing chicken fajitas
[Wed, Nov 7th, 2018] Cold and rainy today with 50+ mph winds. We opted to stay in camp and remove the capes from the deer skulls, tidy up the Buck Shack a bit, and see if the afternoon becomes huntable. We ate piles of pancakes with jam for breakfast and got to work. The afternoon deteriorated, with heavier rain, wind speeds reaching 76 mph, while the temperature dropped to 36 degrees. We took advantage of the foul weather and enjoyed some well-deserved rest, and hoped the conditions would improve during our last few days of hunting. We made canned chicken fajitas for chow and enjoyed an Alaskan Amber in the warmth of the Buck Shack. Kevin

21-Nov-18

Joe eating chicken fajitas
Joe eating chicken fajitas

21-Nov-18

Rehydrated hash browns and eggs for breakfast
Rehydrated hash browns and eggs for breakfast
[Thurs, Nov 8th, 2018] We were greeted with a bright starry morning today, with 50+ mph winds and 32 degree temperatures. Rehydrated hash browns and eggs for breakfast. Before it was light enough to see, however, we were getting wind gusts to 97 mph !!! Crap !!! We kept telling each ourselves...the rain is gone, we'll deal with the wind somehow! Our plan from the night before was to set up a pair of "Miss November" inflatable decoys on a large 6-foot diameter scrape we located just over the ridge from the High Tide Trail at Roy's Saddle Basin. Wind speed and direction was going to make that impossible, so we opted for the west-facing slope below High Saddle behind Cabin Ridge. So down to the beach we went...only to discover the washed-up buck that I had drug to the water's edge several hundred yards away, two days earlier, was now washed up closer to the walk bridge below the Shack. Suck deal !!! The good news was...it was mostly buried in the sand now, was ice cold, and not giving off any odor we could detect. That would have to do for the time being...and we went on our way.

21-Nov-18
Dang you guys eat right too!!

21-Nov-18

Kev inflating a Miss November decoy
Kev inflating a Miss November decoy
As we reached Low Saddle, we immediately spotted mama bear with her two cubs. This time they were on the opposite side of Low Saddle...way off in the bottom near some lakes, making their way toward Roy's Saddle from the backside of the hill. Perfect position for our plans today...so we continued on. We made our way around the corner behind High Saddle staying below Trojan Horse Rock. The west-facing edge of this finger was sunny and somewhat protected from the wind by Cabin Ridge...so we huffed and puffed into the inflatable decoys while laughing at each other, then deployed these doe look-alikes to see how bucks would respond. Gusts of wind would blow them over periodically, which was a bit frustrating, but we gave it an hour or so and didn't get any takers. Since bucks were bedded within sight, and they didn't seem interested in our plastic prostitutes, we abandoned the decoy approach and jumped back in to spot-and-stalk. Once the decoys were deflated and back in our packs, we headed back up into the rocks above Cabin Ridge, only to find most of the bedded bucks had moved downhill toward the Red River basin. One of these bucks was a big 3x3 that cruised out of sight around the corner below High Saddle.

21-Nov-18

Joe with his Miss November decoy
Joe with his Miss November decoy

21-Nov-18
Good lord what an epic adventure! Wow! Just read the intro and had to jump ahead! Will have to back up and take this one slowly!

21-Nov-18

Kev's buck #3
Kev's buck #3
By late evening, we had reversed direction and hiked back below High Saddle, still on the back side of Cabin Ridge...and there he was! The big 3x3 was feeding in the center of a wide-open alpine tundra bench lying between us and the rocky trail leading back to Low Saddle. Unless you're the size of a field mouse, his current location seemed and unlikely spot for a stalk since there was absolutely no cover. Daylight was waning fast so it was time to fish or cut bait. I suggested the only realistic chance of arrowing this buck would be to continue on toward Low Saddle above him, then drop out of sight over the edge and make a giant clockwise circle using the topography to stay out of sight. If I made it that far without being detected, I could then come up from below him on the downhill side and attempt to get within range. Joe said he'd wait high on the ridge and keep and eye on the buck as I attempted the stalk. Moments later, I was on my way. Everything went as planned until the buck spotted me belly crawling toward him in the carpet of alpine tundra roughly 130 yards away. In the low light conditions, he seemed very relaxed despite watching me push my bow ahead of me while crawling at him yard-by-yard trying to stay as low to the ground as possible. What seemed like flat ground from above, turned out to be a series of ditches that I had to crawl into and out of as I closed the distance. When I reached what seemed like 70 yards, I tried to take a range reading. Some readings were clearly behind him...others way in front...so I crawled forward some more, got to my knees, guessed at what I thought the range was and took my first shot...a miss, but I couldn't see where the arrow went. The buck took a couple of steps and stopped. And then my second shot, another miss, and I still couldn't see my arrow in flight. Damn it !!! The buck started walking to my left now looking away...so I nocked another arrow, got to my feet, and started walking directly at him. He was walking, but I was walking faster and closing the gap rapidly. He stopped broadside and I ranged him at 55 yards. My third shot was on its way...another miss, this time just low. He started walking again and I followed. When he stopped broadside, he was now at 45 yards, and my forth arrow passed through his chest a moment later. He jumped and kicked, and ran a few steps forward before stopping. I nocked another arrow and watched without moving. Long moments passed and then he tried to walk forward but began to stumble. He quickly moved to his left and bedded down with his head up looking directly away from me. I took this opportunity to continue stalking in the silent tundra from directly behind the buck. At 20 yards, the bedded buck's chest was clearly visible and I put an arrow through it. He attempted to stand, but only managed to roll over and was done! I turned toward the ridge Joe was sitting on and I could hear him above me shouting congratulatory sounds that were muffled by the wind and the distance between us. I couldn't believe this stalk actually worked...and that this buck allowed me to continue shooting at him let alone walk directly at him without spooking. I had just tagged out on Sitka Blacktails, and this was my biggest buck of the trip! What an amazing conclusion to a bizarre stalk!

21-Nov-18

Kev during the night pack out
Kev during the night pack out
We took some photos and began to break the buck down as darkness fell. We finished the job by headlamp and kept throwing scraps to a hungry fox that had joined us just after dark...anticipating a meal from whatever we would leave behind. We were both thankful it was a fox that came in and not a bear, as we loaded our packs with meat for the long haul back to the Buck Shack. Going was tough by headlamp as Joe lead us to the narrow trail leading down the steep rocky slope back to Low Saddle. As we plodded on under the pitch black new-moon sky, our heavy packs tested our already fatigued bodies. We eventually arrived at the top of the bluff and made our way down the narrow, grass-covered rib to the beach. Several hundred yards further down the beach we found the walk bridge and began our last ascent of the day up the Inchon Mud Trail to the Shack. It was well after 8pm now and we were both physically exhausted. Once the meat was hung from the eaves and the bear fence energized, we headed in for some chow and a cold beverage. Joe whipped up a killer tuna casserole and we attacked it like we hadn't seen food in a week! What a day...97 mph winds in the morning...goofing around with inflatable decoys at midday...a great 3x3 buck down just before dark...and now I'm lying in my sleeping bag listening to the surf roll in. Only Kodiak can combine such a surreal set of events into reality! Kevin

21-Nov-18

Joe stalking a buck on Nasty Ridge
Joe stalking a buck on Nasty Ridge
[Fri, Nov 9th, 2018] Today is our last hunting day, and Joe has one more tag to fill before we head home. Since Bumble Bay is above 57 degrees north latitude, the days are really getting short now, and we've lost 45 minutes of daylight during the 10 days we've been here. The skies are clear this morning and the wind fairly calm. Once down the beach and up the bluff, we paused like many mornings before to check our surroundings. Most days we see several bucks and does, but this morning there she is again! Mama bear and her two cubs at the base of and far west end of Cabin Ridge. She spotted us almost immediately, then headed up and over the ridge toward the Red River Knobs with her cubs close behind. Once out of sight, we turned our attention back to deer. Joe headed after a good 3x3 buck that had come through the gap above High Tide Trail making his way up onto Nasty Ridge. The buck moved much faster than we could keep pace with and soon was out of sight in the steep labyrinth of rock pinnacles that earned this ridge its name. We dropped back down to Moby Dick Rock and over the edge to Roy's Saddle basin.

21-Nov-18
Amazing . I love that place!!

21-Nov-18

Roy's Saddle Basin
Roy's Saddle Basin
We hunkered down in the rocks since the icy wind had picked up and it had become fairly cold. We weren't there long before sighting several good bucks including a great 4x4 with a big body. Joe attempted a stalk in the rocks above High Tide Trail, but by the time he reached the end of the rocky, brush-covered ridge, the buck had vanished into the deep cuts in the beach bluffs in front of us. We spotted lots of other bucks between us and Anna's Saddle, so we slowly worked our way in that direction. We watched for more than an hour as bucks and does alike began to bed in the sun, many of which were in excellent locations for a stalk. One spot in particular had three good 3x3 bucks bedded close to each other. But wait! The big 4x4 buck from earlier in the morning was working his way toward us down the ridge from Monument Saddle. We named this buck "Home Wrecker" because he systematically kicked up every group of bedded bucks and does we had been watching for hours. He would scent check each doe then move on to the next group of deer and harass them. He basically made a mess of our plans, then slowly walked out of sight in the direction he had come.

21-Nov-18

Joe ridge running near Anna's Saddle
Joe ridge running near Anna's Saddle
Some of the evicted bucks moved up and bedded near the rocks below and between Anna's Saddle and Monument Saddle. It was game on! We back tracked toward Roy's Saddle, then went straight up the face to the top of the ridge. From there we remained hidden along the rocky spine as we made our way toward Anna's Saddle. We then dropped off the backside and worked across the alpine tundra to the far side of Anna's Saddle and above where the majority of bucks had gone to bed after Home Wrecker's visit. It was getting late in the afternoon by then, and we moved as cautiously as possible above the bedded bucks. Unfortunately, we couldn't escape the watchful eyes of several does that stood from their beds and walked away from us. This in turn got the bucks up from their beds following the does. Three of the bucks and a single doe moved into a large bowl-shaped area between two beach bluff ridges and began feeding near some alder brush in the bottom of the bowl. After a careful stalk, Joe was nearly in position for a close range shot at one of the bucks when the lone doe busted him at close range, then blew the bucks out of their beds again! Sunlight was fading fast and the range was too far for a Hail Mary attempt, so our time pursuing big bucks with bow & arrow on Kodiak had come to an end.

21-Nov-18

Sunset over Bumble Bay on our last day hunting
Sunset over Bumble Bay on our last day hunting
We worked our way to the High Tide Trail as darkness fell and made it back to the Buck Shack by headlamp around 7pm.

21-Nov-18

Canned fajita style beef
Canned fajita style beef

21-Nov-18

Canned fajita beef with veggies
Canned fajita beef with veggies
We made a quick meal out of our remaining veggies and a can of fajita style beef and hit the rack. Kevin

21-Nov-18

Joe cooking hash browns and eggs for breakfast
Joe cooking hash browns and eggs for breakfast
[Sat, Nov 10th, 2018] Today is our last work day before our bush flight back to Kodiak tomorrow. It was cold and a light rain fell as we began stirring in the morning. After Joe made a delicious breakfast of hash browns, eggs and toast, I finished caping the skull from my last buck, and we deboned the remaining quarters we had hung under the eaves.

21-Nov-18

Enjoying a great breakfast
Enjoying a great breakfast

21-Nov-18

Joe & Kev with their bucks
Joe & Kev with their bucks
We organized gear, broke down bows & arrows, got packed up, and made arrangements with Taj Shoemaker at Island Air for tomorrow morning's 10am pick up using Joe's SatPhone.

21-Nov-18
Spectacular recap! Thank you for the time and effort to put this story together. Truly a hunt of a lifetime an redemption was sweet!

21-Nov-18

Joe preparing Sitka Blacktail tenderloin carne asada tacos
Joe preparing Sitka Blacktail tenderloin carne asada tacos
For chow tonight, Joe made Sitka Blacktail tenderloin carne asada tacos...and they were absolutely delicious!

21-Nov-18

Enjoying Sitka Blacktail tenderloin carne asada tacos
Enjoying Sitka Blacktail tenderloin carne asada tacos
We drifted off to sleep with full bellies while listening to the surf pounding out an 8-second interval. Kevin

21-Nov-18
Congrats and thanks for posting!

21-Nov-18

Meat, capes, and antlers staged above the beach
Meat, capes, and antlers staged above the beach
[Sun, Nov 11th, 2018] Dawn arrived with high ceiling clouds and the prospect of broken sun during the day. Winds were calm but cold, and after breakfast, we began hauling our gear and meat down to the beach for our bush flight out. The Inchon Mud Trail was worse than ever after the rain from the previous day and the arduous task of moving roughly 350 pounds of meat and gear down a slippery trail took its toll on our already fatigued bodies. Once completed, we tidied up the Buck Shack, moved water containers and Bob's cooler inside for winter and closed the door for what we thought would be the last time. We then made what we thought would be our last trip down the Inchon Mud Trail and settled in by our gear to wait for Taj. And we waited...and waited...while the tide began to consume the beach landing strip before us. Pretty soon we started to worry...then we broke out the SatPhone and called Island Air for an explanation. Apparently, Kodiak airport was socked in and we weren't getting picked up today! So there we stood...surrounded by roughly 350 pounds of gear and meat we had just hauled down one steep, miserable, muddy trail. Damn it !!! Guess we should have called at 8am when Island Air opened for business to see if they were actually coming that morning before hauling everything down the hill, but 20/20 hindsight comes at a price I suppose. Oh well, we located a spot on the bluff to stage the meat, capes, and antlers overnight, and erected Ed's fence around it to protect it from bears. We then made three more trips up the Inchon Mud Trail with our gear on our backs, and moved back into the Buck Shack. Boredom was followed by several games of Gin Rummy to pass the time. We had pitched the remainder of our perishable food earlier...so we dined on Mountain House dinners for chow and hit the rack hoping tomorrow would be better flying weather in Kodiak and that we'd actually get picked up!

21-Nov-18

Sorry for the mud on the deck Bob!
Sorry for the mud on the deck Bob!

21-Nov-18

Joe waiting for his Mountain House dinner to rehydrate
Joe waiting for his Mountain House dinner to rehydrate

21-Nov-18

Joe with his Mountain House breakfast
Joe with his Mountain House breakfast
[Mon, Nov 12th, 2018] We got way too much sleep last night and were up early wondering if Kodiak was clear enough for us to get picked up. Skies looked promising above Bumble Bay, but we were 125 miles from Kodiak and clearly that kind of distance can change things radically. After chowing on a Mountain House Breakfast Skillet meal, we promptly called Island Air at 8am sharp! They said it looked promising, but told us to call back at 8:45am when it was light outside to make sure Taj was coming. So, we waited some more, then called at the specified time. Taj said he'd be wheels-up in 15 minutes and heading our way.

21-Nov-18
Livin’ on Alaska time;-)

21-Nov-18

Saying goodbye to Bob's pet Buck Shack Ermine
Saying goodbye to Bob's pet Buck Shack Ermine
So once again, we closed up shop, said goodbye to Bob's pet Buck Shack Ermine, hauled our gear back down to the beach and waited.

21-Nov-18
Awesome! My dream hunt someday.

21-Nov-18
All smiles here after reading this one!!! Hunt

21-Nov-18

Taj and his Cessna 180 Skywagon here to pick us up!
Taj and his Cessna 180 Skywagon here to pick us up!
This time we could hear Taj coming, and the sight of the blue and white Cessna 180 Skywagon overhead was a relief. Taj made his normal clockwise pass over Bumble Bay and set her down on the beach with ease. He taxied to our staging area and we began loading the plane for our return flight. Within minutes of his arrival, we were airborne and heading back to Kodiak. The high ceiling and broken clouds above the Buck Shack gave way to storm clouds and rain the closer we got to Kodiak. By Larsen Bay, the bush flight became more like a combat mission as winds batted us around making for a white-knuckled affair trying to stay in your seat or keep from hitting your head in the back seat where there wasn't much head room. Taj didn't seem to be bothered by the stormy weather while Joe and I wondered if the plane would hold together long enough to get us back to Kodiak. We landed at the airport in what looked like an inch of water on the tarmac. We were both grateful to be on the ground safely and now realized just how easily you could be delayed by weather for much longer periods of time. In our case, one day was insignificant and we made our commercial flights the next day without incident. During our trip, we spent 13 days in the Kodiak Buck Shack, had taken 5 bucks with our bows, seen hundreds of other bucks, had seen the same family group of 3 brown bears on four different occasions, saw bald and golden eagles, ptarmigan, magpies, crows, foxes, field mice, Bob's pet Buck Shack Ermine, and of course our friendly and curious Bumble Bay sea lions. We enjoyed spectacular scenery, experienced extreme weather conditions, ate fantastic meals with great company, did everything in our power to get totally exhausted, and end our trip feeling a deep sense of accomplishment! Having tried and failed during my first Kodiak bowhunt, only to redeem myself this time around, I hope some of you reading this now...that haven't made a trip to Kodiak...are motivated to take the plunge and give it a try. I sincerely believe you won't regret your decision! Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck to each of you! Kevin

21-Nov-18
Grats on a great trip. Fantastic job on the write up. Thanks for taking the time to do it. It takes a lot of time to post that many photos and write that many words. Great entertainment for the rest of us, thanks again.

21-Nov-18
Thanks for the great write up. That hunt is definitely on my list. Congratulations on a fantastic hunt.

21-Nov-18
THAT was a great read, thanks for taking us along. OUTSTANDING.

21-Nov-18
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Loved the story and pictures.

21-Nov-18
An amazing adventure that i have to do..

21-Nov-18
Excellent write up of your adventure. I love that island!

22-Nov-18
Great stuff!

22-Nov-18
Outfrikenstanding.... you guys did good. My favorite story of the year. Ed F

22-Nov-18
Great write up and trip! Kodiak is special. Congats on your bucks and thanks for sharing,

22-Nov-18
Well done! Kodiak is a bowhunting paradise. Those that are thinking of going. DO IT!! This is a hunt I'll do as much as possible for as long as I can.

22-Nov-18
Kevin and Joe, And here I thought my recent duck and pheasant hunt to Eastern Colorado was exciting. But that was UNTIL I read the recap of your Kodiak deer hunt. Great pictures, great story telling. Glad you guys survived and did well.

my best, Paul

22-Nov-18
Great story!

22-Nov-18
Man, what a great hunt, thanks for sharing! Kodiak is so high on my bucket list!

22-Nov-18
What a great adventure and an even better recap of it! Redemption indeed! This is definitely on my bucket list of trips. Congrats on you guy’s success and thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

From past stories, I seem to remember a marker mentioned set up on Roy’s Saddle. Is it still there, or did the bears tear it down again?

22-Nov-18
What a great recap! This is what makes Bowsite special! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share the experience!

22-Nov-18

Roy's Saddle Monument (my 2016 Photo)
Roy's Saddle Monument (my 2016 Photo)
Good morning all of you...and Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for all the kind words. Joe and I had the time of our life on this hunt...and I knew before we headed north that I wanted to share it with all of you...since I have enjoyed so many hunt reports from many of you in the past. I tried to take good notes in my journal...often writing them late in the evening by lantern light...sometimes nearly falling asleep with a pen in my hand. Sorry about all the typos, but hey I'm an engineer not an English major! Ha! Again, all the best to each of you...and good luck during the rest of your season!

And for you t-roy, yes there is a wooden cross monument at Roy's Saddle, but we never did hike to the mouth of the saddle to have a look. I'm guessing it is still there...just not standing up! Bob Ameen has tried to keep it standing ever since he placed it there, but the deer use it as a rubbing post, and the bears simply knock it down for fun!

22-Nov-18
Thank you for a great read!!

22-Nov-18

My 2016 Inscription on Roy's Saddle Monument
My 2016 Inscription on Roy's Saddle Monument
Here's a photo of the inscription I left on Roy's Saddle Monument two years ago...probably taken less than an hour before the bears came in and changed my life! Never would have dreamed it would all work out the way it did...and I wouldn't change a thing even if I could. I've learned a great deal from these experiences and I'm thankful for the opportunity Bob Ameen has made possible through his Kodiak Buck Shack! Hunts like this make us who we are...and this particular hunt will always hold a special place in my heart! Kevin

22-Nov-18
Redemption, indeed! You guys did great, very nicely written as well!

22-Nov-18
Neat story. Food looks extraordinary.

22-Nov-18
Nice write up Kevin, not bad for an engineer. Lol I talked to Bob a few years ago about doing this hunt, but drew a NM tag and put this on hold. Your story put this back on the map for me. Thanks for sharing.

DJ

22-Nov-18
Epic trip and great story! One day I hope to see the buckshack!

22-Nov-18
Thanks for sharing! Way to go. Great hunt!

22-Nov-18
Great story, congrats on the bucks!

23-Nov-18
Thanks for taking us along!! Great story!

23-Nov-18
Awesome trip and write up! Thank you for taking the time to share it w us! Congratulations yo both of you!

23-Nov-18
Thanks for the share! Epic hunt and story telling!

23-Nov-18
Thanks a bunch, Due to some health issues I have been unable to get out this year. Your story had me imagining I was right out there with you. Thanks for the escape.

26-Nov-18
AWESOME post and congrats!!!

26-Nov-18
Such an awesome hunt and story! Good friends, good hunting, good food in wild places always make for the best memories! Thanks for sharing it with us and congratulations on an amazing adventure!

26-Nov-18
Awesome read, story & photos!!! Thanks for sharing....

>>>>-------->

26-Nov-18
Awesome story, every picture you shared brought back memories of that place. Congrats!

26-Nov-18
Really cool, great adventure!

26-Nov-18
Great bucks, write up and pics!!!!

Thanks for taking us along!

Mark

26-Nov-18
Great stuff man! I loved it and look forward to hunting blackmails on Kodiak in the not to distant future!

26-Nov-18
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

27-Nov-18
Congrats to you guys. Well deserved. Nice write-up.

27-Nov-18
Tremendous post. What an adventure. Inspiring! Thanks for sharing

27-Nov-18
Outstanding!!!!!! Well done!

27-Nov-18
Wow, these are what dreams are made of. You did a great job on the story and pictures. I felt like I was right there with you. Big congrats on your redemption!

30-Nov-18
Congrats and a great read!!! You guys can really make canned meat and dehydrated hashbrowns look good.

07-Dec-18
Thanks for posting, I need to get there before too long

07-Dec-18
Awesome thread! Thanks for the stories!

• Sitka Gear