TheTone 23-Nov-18
wyobullshooter 24-Nov-18
RJ Hunt 24-Nov-18
skull 24-Nov-18
RJ Hunt 24-Nov-18
23-Nov-18

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
I asked for your advice last year. Nick Muche recommended a specific Bison Gear pack. I have tried to purchase it for a year, and their site says they are still relocating. They were supposed to be taking orders by this past Spring, so I am wondering if they are closed?

Decided not to wait. Shopped Cabela's, Bass Pro, on-line etc.

Finally settled on this Tensing, purchased at Scheel's. It has the right compartments for me to organize my gear for a guy that packs his stand in each time. Quiet material also, a must.

Now laugh, but this was the key. When fully loaded the pack will remain upright, as pictured. All of my other packs would always fall over, with the back of the pack facing up. This may seem like something little, but not having to mess with a pack trying to hang in the dark reduces noise and movement, and is just less frustrating. This pack minimizes fussing around.

I know this doesn't sound manly, but it makes life easier for me.

Anyway, thanks for all of the good suggestions last year!

23-Nov-18
Agree. I have been in search of a good day pack for years. I have used Badlands for years, they are ok but am tired of fussing with stubborn zippers, 1000 compartments to lose your knife or keys in ect. Just want a good simple pack to take to that stand and hang on the hook.

23-Nov-18
RJ,

Because of last year's thread I really looked at the Badlands. Wanted to go with it based on reputation and the recent comments about strapping your LW directly to it.

I like straps on my stand that allow it to fit over my pack for two reasons. The pack and stand tied together are more cumbersome for me to toss onto my back. Second, I put the stand on my back, hang my third or fourth stick and then immediately hang the stand without coming down. It just works for me, what I have gotten used to.

Thanks.

23-Nov-18
Oh, and I just didn't think they were worth the extra money. Seems more like marketing to me, yet I buy Hoyt bows-go figure!

23-Nov-18
As far as pocket configuration, and meat hauling/with bag basically used as the meat shelf, I think it's hard to beat the EXO pack. I've been running a kifaru long hunter for 15 yrs, which I love. Just don't like that it's black, and no pockets.

Trying to talk myself into biting the bullet and trying the EXO. My fear is that it won't be as comfortable as my long hunter loaded. Love it.

23-Nov-18
What do you guys think of the Slumberjack Railhauler 2.0 as primarily a meat hauler?

23-Nov-18
Ha, the stand up when loaded is a pet peeve of mine too. I have a badlands diablo I really like other than there is no way for it to “stand up”. I guess that why there are about a million choices these days!

And don’t always listen to Nick, he is 80% full of crap! ;). Good Luck with your new pack.

—Jim

23-Nov-18
80% that is a slight increase?

23-Nov-18
I won a Slumberjack Railhauler 2.5 a couple years ago. So far it has been very comfortable to use and also carries way more weight then I will ever pack.

23-Nov-18
Sivart, I'm pretty confident you can buy most any current Kifaru bag and it will fit the frame you already have. Lots of options with regards to amount of pockets and load shelf capabilities.

24-Nov-18

Two hunts in, and I love it. I found my pack, just hope it proves durable.

24-Nov-18
Just finished my 3rd season with my Tenzing. Love it!

24-Nov-18
I really like the looks of your new pack HW One problem I have is I often hunt in coastal mountains here in Oregon and is a wet, an inch a day wet sometimes during our late season. Think I need to find a water proof version somewhere. Oh the pack dilemma. I went through all mine yesterday. As I looked at em all on the floor there are good and bads of all. Hoping one day to find the “one” that solves one more PITA of gear transport and ease of use. Keep us posted on durability.

24-Nov-18
RJ,

It comes with a rain cover. I am buying a second one!

24-Nov-18

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt, I have the exact same backpack. I was looking for one that was waterproof. This comes with a waterproof cover. Problem solved for me

24-Nov-18
Awesome. Thanks

• Sitka Gear