APauls 26-Nov-18
t-roy 26-Nov-18
hunt'n addict 26-Nov-18
SBH 26-Nov-18
Screwball 26-Nov-18
Fuzzy 27-Nov-18
KHunter 28-Nov-18
24-Nov-18
Hello, I’m currently researching a gift for my husband (giving at Christmas but hunt is next rut), however, I sought the internet for many with more knowledge than myself on this. I’ve narrowed it down to WY or MT. He is an avid bow hunter, though very proficient in rifle hunting, but preference is bow. He enjoys the actual wilderness and hunting experience, but has spoken of always wanting an Elk hunt. (Also - I researched tags/licenses, etc. so needing help with outfitters and experience with them, good or bad). I’ve looked into the Bob Marshall and really think he’d enjoy that, but I know it’s a massive area of public land and was thinking private land for the first trip? Also, no canned hunts. Any advice?

24-Nov-18
I like your thinking about Bob Marshall, that would be an adventure. Way better than a private land drive around in a truck hunt. Consider Canada as as long as you are spending substantial money, in Canada you are not dealing with as much of a draw issue. You could apply for some of the better WY draw elk units and you will know the results early winter as it is unlikely he draws then you can book the other hunts you will have researched. Good luck.

24-Nov-18
Huntingwife, if things don’t work out with your husband at some point, shoot me a Pm! I kid, I kid!

Depending on how anal your husband is, he might want to be part of the process for picking an outfitter. Maybe a “coupon” for an elk hunt? Might not be quite as exciting but I know I’d rather pick the outfitter so I could ensure it was done “right”. Either way, cool idea and good luck in your hunt for a hunt!

24-Nov-18
So, this is where it’s fun for me. He knows I’ve been seeking info for a hunt “of some sort” but completely trusts my judgement given my personality for over researching everything and taking things like this seriously and to the extreme. I’ve spoke with 2 outfitters and then researched but don’t have the “warm and fuzzy” I was looking for yet. I don’t want him to hunt with other hunters that aren’t 110% into it - or he’ll be annoyed (case and point: he was on a 9 day hunt in ohio for rut - couldn’t believe the amount of hunters who were back at the lodge by noon. He’s the leave at 3am type and home after sunset). Which is why the BM intrigues me, because I can’t imagine anyone going with the above mentality.

24-Nov-18
Since you have narrowed it down to Wyoming and Montana I would get in the draws. Both states require a draw. Wyoming will have the first app deadline.

Wyoming has some units that can be had with zero points. They also have a random side in there draw.

24-Nov-18
Glunker: is WY better for Elk than MT? I know nothing is a guarantee, but I do want to send him on an adventure with the best odds in his favor.

25-Nov-18
Montana Hunt and fish company !!

25-Nov-18
Does he have any points in Wyoming?

25-Nov-18
If you are also looking a guided hunt. Try the Spearhead Ranch. They are a bit pricey, but he would have a great time. With a great chance of getting an elk. They will help you get a tag. Just go to the bowsite sponsor bar an look them up. Dave Moore can help.

25-Nov-18
Budget? Without drawing a tag good hunts will require $5k and up in some form to access areas with good elk or get a good landowner tag. Put 80% of your budget into $$$$ for a good tag/area.

25-Nov-18
No points in WY yet, but I plan on getting as many as they’ll let me for both states (this way I can surprise a later hunt once I get confirmation he draws a tag in WY, I’ve heard it can take a couple years). Budget is $8-10k ( including points).

I’m going to look into the recommended guides above as well. Thank you!!

25-Nov-18
You should know that the Bob has a lot of acres between elk. Beautiful place but elk can be hard to find.

Take Hunts advice and look into Montana Hunt and fish. I believe the general elk tag is good for most of there areas.

25-Nov-18
I would avoid the BOB MARSHALL if seeing and killing elk is important. Rickm is spot on. Many of those outfitters have shut down due to not being able to put people on elk. Theres tons of beautiful rugged country and adventure to be had in MT that actually have good elk populations. The BOB is a wild place for sure but the elk are no longer there like they used to be. Stick to SW/Central MT.

25-Nov-18
That is an awesome Christmas present. With no points in WY and a budget of 8-10k, I'd be looking at New Mexico.

25-Nov-18
No personal experience here, but Charlie Rehor has been to Rocking R a couple times I think. PM Charlie for more info, but that’s a place I would check into.

Good luck and congrats for being a good wife !

25-Nov-18
Thanks drycreek - I’ll PM him as well.

A great husband makes a wife want to be equally as giving! Definitely blessed in the husband dept.

25-Nov-18
PM sent

25-Nov-18
If you want to purchase a elk hunt as a gift skip the "Wyoming points" deal. There are plenty of outfitters in Montana and New Mexico that won`t require drawing points.

I wish I could help but almost all of my elk hunting has been non-guided. But I am throwing in with some guys on a guided elk hunt in Colorado for the fall in a OTC unit just for sheets and giggles. It`s a horseback/ wall tent hunt that is reasonably priced. But that`s fall of 2019.

25-Nov-18
With that kind of budget, I would look at the CS ranch in New Mexico.

25-Nov-18
Me too New Mexico

25-Nov-18
I always thought s horseback adventure in the Thorofare would be awesome. Can’t you draw those type 9 tags with zero points? Since they’re all wilderness?

But for that budget, I think a solid landowner tag in New Mexico would be high on the list!

What was the name of the place Jason Hairston hunted in Montana? What does that ranch run? If it fits the budget, that’s where I’d go!

25-Nov-18
What is a solid landowner tag? I’m assuming it’s “landowner”, are those transferable?

25-Nov-18
Everyone assumes this is his wife posting, I think it’s him getting info, lol!

25-Nov-18
Promise - I’m the wife! Just trying to make sure a gift like this is worth the funds and it’s a memorable adventure for a husband who’s hard to shop for.

25-Nov-18
In New Mexico, a landowner tag can be good for the ranch that’s selling it, or it can be good for the entire unit. Basically it’s the voucher you’re buying, so you still have to buy the tag on top of the voucher.

25-Nov-18
Worth going private land in a high quality unit with that kind of budget. He could hunt elk the real hard way every year with it for a while. Or could do one really amazing one chasing trophy unpressured bulls on private. I'd say if I only got to hunt elk one time in my life I'd choose bugling bulls like a primos video. Nothing compares to elk in the rut.

25-Nov-18
A good unit wide elk landowner archery or muzzleloader voucher tag for NM is running about $7,000 to $10,000 plus another $4,000 to $5,000 for the outfitted hunt , plus another $773.00 for the NM non res elk license . I worked at a camp this fall that had 4 guys with LO tags and that’s what they all paid. They all went home lighter in the pocket but they all had smiles on their faces, elk antlers in their trucks and said they’d be back.

25-Nov-18
So a person with a LO tag can sell it to an individual and the individual just purchases the license? This I assume replaces that person needing to get a tag through the lottery? Is this available in all states?

25-Nov-18
Not all states. NM is one state that has lo tags . Yes, the landowner can sell his lo voucher to anyone for any price no draw. You buy the lo voucher, you buy the elk license, habitat stamp and access stamp and you’re good to go on your own or hire a outfitter for what ever they charge per hunt. The good unit wide NM tags are very expensive but they will sell out fast in June .

25-Nov-18
Some of those Wyoming outfitters are at 8500 to 10 not including tag...id buy either a tag for a private ranch or 16a/16d unit wide vocher Nm!

25-Nov-18
Ranching for wildlife tags in CO to

25-Nov-18
Ranching for Wildlife tags are for Colorado residents only

25-Nov-18
No, RFW tags can be sold to anyone. The public draw RFW tags are resident only.

Not sure that a RFW tag would be that great as they hunt with rifles through the rut on those ranches.

25-Nov-18
PM sent.

25-Nov-18
I know of one RFW ranch that voluntarily offers archery only hunts during what they consider the two prime rut weeks. It's a fun atmosphere in camp those two weeks[ I used to work there] with generally everyone being serious bowhunters. There are lots of elk and it falls within your budget with a guaranteed tag. There are not a lot of huge bulls there, but he would get bugling action pretty much every day. Send me a PM if you think this might be of interest. I can give you the name and contact info. Good luck and I'm sure you will find something that is an excellent experience for your husband.

26-Nov-18
If he hunts the Bob, be prepared for big bears. Just saying. That is an admirable thing you are doing for your husband. Best of luck to you both.

26-Nov-18
He sounds like the kind of guy that plans and hunts his own way. Not sure I would risk this kind of hunt on an unknown outfitter. Placing the quality control of his hunt in someone else's hands seems risky for a this kind of fella as most outfitters aren't used to the hunt hard types. With that kind of budget, I'd buy him a top notch Gila NM landowner tag and set him off to hunt on his own on public land. He'll have a world class hunt and wont have to worry about someone else negatively impacting his experience.

26-Nov-18
I would also suggest looking at a guided Ranching for Wildlife hunt in Colorado. Many ranches to choose from and varying seasons. The draw is for Colorado residents only on them, they sell the guided hunts.

26-Nov-18
I like the Gila NM idea. If he would prefer a great hunt vs. being pampered and following a guide around that would be a great idea.

26-Nov-18
If he doesn't have any points in Wyoming, than you're most likely not going to get him a hunt in Wyoming. All elk tags are given out via lottery and you get a point every year you apply and don't get a tag. Drawing with zero points can be done in the general draw (draw period is in January), but you'll be looking at 1 in 9-10 odds at the regular draw price (about $700) and about 1 in 4 odds at the special draw odds (around $1100) and then that would allow you to hunt about 1/2 the state and there's a lot of outfitters to choose from and good places in the wilderness to hunt.

In MT, you still have to draw the tag as well, but that should be easy for just an elk tag and than I'd go with HUNT MAN's suggestion.

In NM, you'll have to pay big money for a really good LO tag, but there's some deals out there for good hunts if you look. Additionally, there's a lottery for the non-LO tags and an outfitter pool - your guide would walk you through it and there's outfitters that you can put in for the outfitter pool and if you don't draw, will have LO tags, but it'll tack on several thousand dollars that way.

26-Nov-18
I wish I could help, but had to post only to say you are the best.

26-Nov-18
Lots of guys on here with great information. Another source of information would be to contact a reputable hunting consulting firm. They usually have a direct line to many outfitters/ranches, etc. A couple of the better ones that come to mind are Bowhunting Safari Consultants and Bow And Arrow Adventures. Both of these consultants cater strictly to bowhunters exclusively.

26-Nov-18
X2 t-roy - going through a hunting consultant will not cost you extra, but you specify exactly what the type of hunt your husband would dream of.

26-Nov-18
I would get him a free pass to shop for the hunt he wants. Make sure he gets what he's after.

26-Nov-18
I did a guided hunt in the Bob. 10 hours horse back ride in and out. It was an incredible adventure. The five of us that went harvested 1 bull 6x7, seen several but things went awry. Truly a rugged, beautiful, adventure but odds are low, and it is a tough hunt.

27-Nov-18
I'm next in line after Ucsdryer ;)

28-Nov-18
New Mexico in one of the Gila units. 2nd archery season late September. You can get a great hunt for the budget you have.

• Sitka Gear