PECO 01-Dec-18
PECO 01-Dec-18
Matte 01-Dec-18
ElkNut1 01-Dec-18
Mule Power 03-Dec-18
PO Cedar 04-Dec-18
Z Barebow 04-Dec-18
26-Nov-18
I recently lost my saw that I had for about 25 years. I bought one of the small Gerber packsaws, but after using it on one elk I felt it was not really up to the task. Any suggestions?

26-Nov-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

cnelk's Link
I use these - you can find them at Lowes for $12. I made a Kydex sheath for it.

Be sure to get the 'sharp tooth' fine tooth

26-Nov-18
Love the Wyoming saw. I carry the smaller one with extra blades. Have the big one too but the small one works just fine and packs away small.

26-Nov-18
Silky makes great hand saws and they’ve got several folding models

26-Nov-18
X2 on the Wyoming that breaks down in a leather case.

26-Nov-18
A simple wire saw off eBay works great on deer. Never used it on elk but, I’ve been using the same one for about a dozen deer and it still kicks butt. And it doesn’t gunk up like the folding saws do when dawingbthe lower legs off the shanks.

26-Nov-18
WY saw.

26-Nov-18
X3 on the Wyoming. With proper interchangeable blade either saw bone or trees out of the way.

26-Nov-18
I prefer the longer length of the Wyoming Saw II.

26-Nov-18

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Much lighter version of the Wyoming saw.
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Much lighter version of the Wyoming saw.

26-Nov-18
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will look at all these options.

26-Nov-18
I use the Dandy 18" saw..

26-Nov-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

26-Nov-18
Wyoming saw. I also have a NMWapiti 3oz Carbon saw.

26-Nov-18
Exactly what I was about to suggest Kodiak! Works great. Beats those little folding pack saws by Gerber and others!

26-Nov-18
One of my jobs is landscape design/sales/management, and those Corona saws like JTV posted are what we all keep for hand saws. They’re great.

I’ve cut down 3” caliper trees with them like nobody’s business. Keep it in my gear bag during hunting season. They are very durable, stay sharp, light and cheap.

Silky saws aren’t worth the money over those, in my opinion.

26-Nov-18
Ike is a machine with a Gerber saw on elk. Buy a Gerber save some weight and call Ike when you got a bull down.

I like a havalon they are light and scary sharp.

27-Nov-18
HOOEYMAN! Hand saw with five foot and ten foot extensions cover all of my needs.

27-Nov-18
Also use the smaller WY saw. Used it on 2 elk and 4 deer this fall with good results. (It has been in my pack for 6-7 years and gotten deer/elk most of those trips - no issues yet.)

Back in 2001 or 02, we hunted moose in MN. We didn't have a handsaw big enough for the antlers so my pop used the chainsaw. I stood back 40' and still was speckled with 'matter'. Took forever to clean that thing out.

28-Nov-18
Cool options, thanks for sharing...

28-Nov-18
Altitude.... does that Gerber come with a hacksaw (bone) blade or can you put one in? Nice!

29-Nov-18
Wicked Tree Saw for me. They have a bone blade option but I use the regular blade for tree limbs and bone. These don’t break. Some of the big names are junk.

29-Nov-18
x2 on the Hooyman, especially if you also need a pole saw for limbs.

29-Nov-18
What are you guys using these saws for?

29-Nov-18
For treestand hunting, I use it to prune limbs on the way up the trunk.

I also use mine to cut the lower legs off of things I’m about to pack out, cut the head free from the neck, and to cut the spine where it meets the body line. On deer, I bring the neck out whole. Saves meat lose due to drying when I decide to grind it. If I have enough ground meat, I remove the neck meat from the bone and, the trachea, for one huge neck roast. I also use it to remove horns from the skull.

I’ll say it again gentlemen, consider the little carbide wire saws. They are awesome.

29-Nov-18
That was my question.... what are you cutting? The OP said "on elk" so I'm going with bone..... my experience is bone blades work MUCH better on bone than coarse pruning blades. The WY saw comes with both. I've used it on a few elk and use the WY saw a fair amount cutting off velvet antlers making euros. Works great. The longer one would work a bit better on elk skull caps, the short one's stroke is a bit short there.... but it works good.

Gerber folders are light and if I recall come with both bone and pruning blades. They work fine. But they take a good bit more kerf, the WY blades are thinner and IMO sharper. They definitely cut better. I prefer the push stroke that you use with a frame saw rather than the pull stroke Gerbers, etc. Maybe just more used to it.

For wood the Silky Gomboy folder (a pull stroke as most folders are) is the cat's azz..... lives in my fanny pack when up in the trees. Be careful, you can cut yourself just lookin' at it.....

29-Nov-18

grubby's embedded Photo
grubby's embedded Photo
I bought this15" Irwin protouch saw last spring, its an awesome saw and can be had under $20! we canoe camp quite a lot and it can stack up the firewood quick!

29-Nov-18
Um... this thread isn’t about tree stands or camping. More about lightweight compact saws for elk hunters.

30-Nov-18
Sorry...... I can remove my saw if it offends you.

30-Nov-18
^^^^ Classic ! luv it Grubby!

30-Nov-18
The Knives of Alaska bone saw is really nice. I’ve used it on several animals and a small tree and it’s help up nice.

01-Dec-18
Jtv, how is the Corona on bone for elk hunting?

01-Dec-18
Wyoming Saw

01-Dec-18
Wyoming Saw

01-Dec-18
Cut up a ton of deer and elk and have never used a saw. Cut the tendons at joints and they snap off like toothpicks. Debone the rest for the pack out. Last time I used a saw on meat was when I worked in the butcher shop at our local IGA store while in High School.

01-Dec-18
Saw is mainly used for cutting racks off! I also use it since I have it to remove all 4 legs & any trees or crap on the ground that needs removing for breaking down an elk, In my opinion a good saw is priceless, it also speeds up the process!

ElkNut/Paul

03-Dec-18

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
That’s ok grubby I forgive you. It is a nice saw.

I keep this Wahl beard trimmer in camp in case I shoot something and want to look my best for pictures.

04-Dec-18

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
PO Cedar's embedded Photo

04-Dec-18

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Here is what I use. Like it so much, I replaced it when I lost the first one. I have owned Gerber and Coughlan. This one tops them both. Review on Amazon speak highly. (VS Corona)

• Sitka Gear