Treeline 27-Nov-18
GF 05-Dec-18
elkmtngear 05-Dec-18
Inshart 05-Dec-18
TD 06-Dec-18
goelk 06-Dec-18
goelk 06-Dec-18
26-Nov-18
A bull is racking a tree less than 70 yds and his cows are off to the left of him. The wind is blowing towards you. What would you do? I'll wait to give my answer and what happen.

26-Nov-18
There is plenty of cover too

26-Nov-18
I’d pull out my TreeThrasher and rake back at him. Once he responded to my calling, I’d shoot him and them start crying uncontrollably (getting it all on video of course)

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Do you have any cover to possibly sneak in closer while he’s preoccupied with raking the tree without getting busted by the cows?

26-Nov-18
Must be a nut tree? ;-)

26-Nov-18
Blow the cows out and kill the bull. If he’s raking he won’t see or hear you.

26-Nov-18
Shoot him where he stands, [only if you shoot a Vortex tho]

26-Nov-18
1. Move diagonally toward him to the right (away from the cows).

2. Shoot him

26-Nov-18
did that once to a big bull that had over 30 cows. snuck in and shot him while he was raking at 30 yds

26-Nov-18
I've heard "they have their eyes closed and can't hear anything, just run in and shoot him".

The only time I have had a bull raking ~60 yards (I had to get to perhaps 30 to have a shot) I'm certain the wind was good. I was leary of racing in, so stealthily moved faster than I normally would have stalked, but much more quietly than if I were just running. Within half a dozen steps the bull blew out. Didn't see any other elk (cows) that may have alerted him. I was astonished to have gotten busted.

I suspect that rushing in might work if the bull is consistently raking and doesn't pause at the wrong time to catch you making noise or moving, but there's no way to tell when he might stop raking.

In the scenario stated I would likely stalk closer for the shot. Bugling or raking a tree are feasible options to make the bull think another bull has approached within his comfort zone and bring him over looking to fight.

26-Nov-18
Me bein’ me, I’d probably sneak straight at the bull, which is probably wrong.

THOUGHT:

Bull is distracted; cows are never ALL distracted at once. And if he starts moving, most likely, he’ll move with the cows.

So what if I were to get down and do the Leopard Crawl straight at the cows?

Seems that would minimize my chances of getting busted by giving the most eyeballs the least of me to look at, so I could get as close as possible to the cows and then take my shot at the bull when he got done with the tree and decided to catch up with the harem.

At that point he’d be moving and should have his eyes on the Ladies, which would give me my best chance at getting drawn and anchored.

Of course, my skills on moving targets would have to be up to snuff, but I've never swung on a moving deer or Elk and not had the lead work out just how I wanted it.

A bull moving at a purposeful walk is probably a 25-yard Max for me; stationary I might feel good out to 40 or so, depending on the shooting lane, the light, the shot angle, weather, tracking/trailing conditions and time of day.

26-Nov-18
Had this exact scenario this fall. I glunked at him...he bugled, I cut him off with a bugle ...he came on the run. Shot him at 8 yds. Super fun

26-Nov-18
Everything was exactly like your situation except I don’t believe he had cows...

26-Nov-18
I once walked right out into the open of a raking bull and shot him (42 yards). The next time I tried it (30 yards), he blew out after I stepped on a twig.

It'd depend. There's raking and then there's raking. Sometimes they're just doing it half-heartedly and sometimes they're doing it as a direct threat to your bugling. I think it's generally a good time to move up and Chuck Adams has said that it's one of his favorite times to get aggressive as he's more of a spot-and-stalk elk hunter.

26-Nov-18
If I had been harassing him already and I had the cover I would likely hammer right at him with a short aggressive bugle and get friggin ready. If he didn't come after a minute ish I would move parallel to him 20 yards and not quietly to a shooting position and rake a tree myself. His attention and his cows attention would already be on you or in your direction so getting in any tighter is not going to be easy in this case. Better to try and call him the last 50 rather than bust him out. Already being in that tight odds are pretty good he is sold you being an elk and will come. Had I snuck in there silent I may continue that approach and do what elkmtn gear outlined but most likely not. That would be nearly impossible with all the deadfall where I hunt. Inside of 70 they most likely already know you are there and are probably gonna get nervous fast if something doesn't turn into an elk soon. See plan A Looking forward to hearing some of the more experienced elk killers plans as well as how you handled it and the outcome.

26-Nov-18
I’d kill him. Don’t know how. But, I’ve always been pretty good at figuring that part out when it presents itself. Based solely on the moment. Can’t say what’s right without being there first hand.

26-Nov-18
Turn the dial to 70 and send it?

26-Nov-18
I would make sure the camera man is set and has a good clear view of the shot I will make. I would put in a plug for the maker of my cow call, then I would bleat on it a couple of times. Then with a plug about how great my "brand name" camo is going to work, I would start an epic sneak, which does not alert the Bull in the least. The cows would get edgy due to my over calling, but my "brand name" camo will save me once again. I would get within 25 yards and run out of cover, thus requiring my $7,000.00 guide to bugle from his position 2 clicks back. The guide would instantly break the bull loose from rubbing and it would pass bye me ,hiding behind a small lodgepole, at 5 yards.

I quickly determine this is not the bull I am after, I am hoping for something with longer brow tines and more width hopefully getting it closer to 380. Although I think it is a good bull it is just not the one I want. Unfortunately I will not get to use the new "brand name" cooler that I have aquired. Next I would ping my hunting partner and his guide on my satellite phone, to learn they are only a mile away and needing help packing out a stud bull his guide found for him. All the way to my partner I am logging gps points.

oz

26-Nov-18
I have never seen a Bull that had his eyes closed when raking, all of them were wide open.

There's a time to use calls, this isn't one of them in my opinion. He'll be there a while and I'd sneak in to 30 and shoot him.

26-Nov-18
You said there was plenty of cover. If the ground was wet and quiet, I would angle to get between him and his cows as fast as possible without making noise. If the ground was crunchy, I would set up with a couple of shooting lanes and challenge him with a chuckle or glunk like I was stealing one of his cows. If he bugles, cut him off and be ready for a fast shot!

26-Nov-18
First line of thought would be 'Can I cut the distance in silent mode & kill him' -- If no way, then I'd make sure I was hidden & rake back, that will get his full attention, I may give 1-2 very soft mews & rake some more. If he comes running I will stop him & kill him. If he screams a Challenge from my raking/cow call I'd challenge bugle right back or any other sound I feel I may need to use, done deal!

Knowing Why he was raking could also clue me in as to his attitude! Being there would answer that!

I don't have much patience for sitting there hoping the wind holds up for the duration it may take to have him come closer on his own! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

26-Nov-18
Assuming conditions are good for a stalk, I’d give him the meanest, nastiest challenge he’s every heard. He would then immediately round up his cows and walk out of my life forever. That’s what I would do....;)

26-Nov-18
I'm right there with you LINK!!! Fits me to a tee!!

26-Nov-18
lay those crosshairs on the dude and let the bolt fly

26-Nov-18
Try to wake myself up. Because this senario has to be a dream.

26-Nov-18
A few more notes and i will tell what i did. Interesting

26-Nov-18
Not enough information but I'd just go with my instinct and flush him into the next county.

26-Nov-18
I'd sneak in and kill him.

26-Nov-18
OK, I shared what I would have considered but here's what I think happened! (grin)

You attempted to Indian in on him & was busted by a cow & they all blew into another zipcode! (grin)

Honestly, I hope you slayed him!!!!

ElkNut/Paul

26-Nov-18
I’m with Paul! At least the last part... Hope you slipped in there and killed that bull!!

26-Nov-18
I’d aggressively move in on him every time as they’re extremely vulnerable when they’re trashing a tree whole-heartedly.

27-Nov-18
I had this situation this year with my dad. He responded to cow calls and a bugle by raking about 200 yards away. I ran, with dad in tow, to 80-100 yards with good wind and set him up. Backed down another 30 yard and cow called and raked then threw out a squeal. He came looking for friends and got plugged.

27-Nov-18
I would do nothing and move on....I`ve never seen a bull "racking" a tree...lol

27-Nov-18
I've always wanted to find myself in that scenario, minus the cows. And I did! 9/17 in Wyoming. I watched the bull come off a ridge and onto a sage flat. When he was about 200 yards out, I was able to use a creek bed to close within 100 and ran out of cover, nothing but sage. Then he started raking a few greasewood bushes.....when he raked, I ran, hunkered as low as I could. When he stopped, I froze. Eventually I was on my knees at 40 yards with a great broadside shot. The whole time I was stalking I was sure he was going to catch me since the cover was 3' high at most, but it worked!!

Bucket list experience for sure...

27-Nov-18
First off don't make as sound! Get the wind right and advance in stealth mode every time he engages said tree, when your inside of 40 yards take the first GOOD shot opportunity he gives you. Wait 45 minutes to trail if everything looks correct on the shot... (or watch him drop if your shooting a Rage 2 blade) ;-)

27-Nov-18
goelk, does not say how far the cows are to the left? I'm assuming since he knows they are there he can see them? If so slipping in silent would be near impossible.

Or, he was able to scatter the cows & scream a challenge! Been there done that a time or two!

He needs to clarify that very important piece of info! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

27-Nov-18
Ok guys here what happens. The 6x6 bull raking the tree for over 10 minutes and his cows to the left of him. Wind blowin down towards me. Im about hundred yards and can see him and cows the whole way. Plenty of cover. I decided to sneak in on him and close the distance to 50 yards. My only problem im shooting a recurve. Too far for me. Wind still good. Moving along now at 40 and a cow that i didnt see staring at me. Standoff for about 5 minutes she ok and moves to the other cows. When she move the bull stop raking and looking my way. I can shoot but not totally comfortable at 40. The cows start moving away from me and the bull follows them. I did a lost calf call and the bull stops but still 40 yards. I want to shoot but i know im not consisted at 40. Stare off for another 5 min. I call again using the lost calf sound. The bull starts towards me. Than it happens, BOOM! What the #$%&* I look over to the ridge about hundred yards there a muzzleloader. They take off and never to be seen again. I step out of cover and wave my bow. The muzzleloader cannot beleive im there. He high tails back up to the top and not seen again. Second time in 40 years i had a muzzleloader screw things up. But next day i came back and shot a bull that lost for the first time in 40 years.

27-Nov-18
Dang, glad you're OK dude!

ElkNut/Paul

27-Nov-18
That sucks!

05-Dec-18
So does anybody know exactly what happened with the ML’er’s shot?

Sounds as though nobody followed up...

05-Dec-18
Guy shot and ran off???

Wow!

05-Dec-18
Was he doing something illegal to make him simply run off?

06-Dec-18
He missed? Guessing you likely would have heard a hit? I've been close to animals hit with firearms...... you hear the hit then the gunshot. I've heard the bullet sizzle overhead before the gunshot as well. Or rather, used to be able to hear it......

Nobody check for blood..... nothing?

06-Dec-18
OK when he shot he was above me and i can hear the bullet going pass me. When I step out he just i high tail out. Didn't even come down and see if he hit anything. I went over and check to see if there was any blood did not find any. To this day i really don't understand why he did not come down. What ever his reason was it was not good sportsmanship. He should have come down and check. Im not mad at him for the shot not knowing i was there or may be he knew i was there. i'll never know. The bull was something you see in units like #1. Big bull. I never did find him again.

06-Dec-18
OK when he shot he was above me and i can hear the bullet going pass me. When I step out he just i high tail out. Didn't even come down and see if he hit anything. I went over and check to see if there was any blood did not find any. To this day i really don't understand why he did not come down. What ever his reason was it was not good sportsmanship. He should have come down and check. Im not mad at him for the shot not knowing i was there or may be he knew i was there. i'll never know. The bull was something you see in units like #1. Big bull. I never did find him again.

• Sitka Gear