WapitiBob 27-Nov-18
smarba 27-Nov-18
Bill Obeid 27-Nov-18
Franklin 27-Nov-18
Muddyboots 27-Nov-18
Trial153 27-Nov-18
Charlie Rehor 27-Nov-18
27-Nov-18
I recently bit the bullet and bought a Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm Spotting Scope costing a little over $1,000. Maybe it is my eyes or my lack of experience using spotters but I hated it. I couldn't see through it and found it difficult to focus in on anything. I was only looking out to about 300 yards. I had it on a tripod and while the tripod wasn't the very high end it was steady. So I sent the scope back. I'm thinking I would do better with a GOOD pair of binos. The areas I hunt and my style will lead the direction of what I'm really looking for. I don't need to look for miles away and don't need to count stickers on a mule deer or score an elk to tell if he's a shooter for me (big frame and I'm going after him). I'm thinking looking from ridge to ridge maybe 1,000 or 1,500 yards max away is the limit there. Weight isn't really a big issue for me either. Size a little more so than weight as in whether I wear them in a bino buddy or keep in my pack until I get to a glassing point. I would also like to keep the price to maybe $700 max. What recommendations do you all have?

27-Nov-18
I'd spend a couple hundred more and look at Meopta Meostar HD's in 10x42. Good glass that can be found on sale for around $950. If you live near a Cabela's the same bino is sold under Cabela's Euro brand and you can find them in the bargain cave occasionally really cheap.

27-Nov-18
Meopta and Vortex, for my money are the best I've used.

27-Nov-18
I had the same experience looking through a Golden Ring spotter and it's surprising since the discontinued Golden Ring binoculars are very good (but a little heavy).

Meopta and Maven at your price point.

27-Nov-18
To elaborate I wear eye glasses and I also want your input as to what power you recommend (10x42 or 12x50, etc.) and what model, not just the brand. Thanks!

27-Nov-18
I don't know the glass in that price range so I will let others comment.

But, I am not sure that any binocular will get you the detail you are looking for at 1000-1500 yards. I carry the swaro 8.5x42 els and figure I can see deer out to a mile or two, but will need a decent scope to determine if it is worth going after - even at relatively short distances. I had a mule deer buck bedded on an open hillside at 350 yards this fall. There was scattered snow on the ground and sage behind him. I couldn't tell if he had antlers until pulling out the scope. By then he got nervous and skittered away to reveal he was very nice.

27-Nov-18
I have 10x42 Swaro SLC's and use them here in Missouri for whitetails bowhunting and gun hunting. I also use them out west for bowhunting elk. I'm not using them like a spotting scope, I'm using them like bino's and they are sufficient for me spotting elk over 1,000 yards away - 10x42.

--Mitch

27-Nov-18
10x42 is a great all around bino. If you know you won’t be in timber glassing close and 500+ if the norm then 12 power would serve your purpose.

27-Nov-18
I've had great luck with the Nikon, Monarch. Relatively cheap and pretty good glass.

27-Nov-18
For great glass way cheaper than the high end stuff take a look at Steiner. Solid warranty too.

27-Nov-18
$700 doesn't buy GOOD glass

Meopta/Cabelas Euro 12x50 will get you maybe 5 minutes less spotting time than new Swaros.

27-Nov-18
Apauls, I'm sure Cabelas will take care of those for you.

Regarding spotter, I'm beginning to see similar with my eyes. I have very good vision, never needed glasses, but with spotting scope no matter how I tweak the focus I just can't get clarity with either eye. That's with a Swaro & a Vortex. Binos seem to do much better for me. Perhaps somehow the dual vision helps cancel out individual problems with each eye? I'm going in for an eye checkup soon, but based on my experience I do think you'll be happy with binos Browtine.

27-Nov-18
If I ever leave my spotter behind .... I’d be carrying 12x or 15x . And if I had 700$ to spend , I’d buy a used pair of 12’s I guess.

But , I’ve had the pleasure of using a pair of 15x Swaro’s and they were the sweetest glass I’ve ever used.

27-Nov-18
Unless you`re making a living with them buying high end binos are just a luxury. I also bought the Leupold spotter and only crack it out to get a very good look at an animal.....I cannot "glass" with it. I have the same Leupold binos in 10x42 for glassing and they do fine. I don`t need to count nose hairs on my game....lol

27-Nov-18
I use 8 x 42 Leupold Wind River, about $250 when purchased about 15 years ago. Except for the eye cups not staying in place I would replace them with like kind. I don't need to count points at 1000 yards.

27-Nov-18
Looks like the under a grand market is being dominated at Nikon HGs at this time. Guys I trust and that have a lot of experience with higher end optics speak very well of them. The only glass I have used recently in that price range gas been the Zeiss conquests, I found them to be goos glass for the money. Personally I would step up to Swaro CL or SLC if your budget allows.

27-Nov-18

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Check out the Mavens. Wyoming Company

• Sitka Gear