BC173 29-Nov-18
deerhunter72 29-Nov-18
Griz34 29-Nov-18
NIson 03-Jan-19
Animal Killer 03-Jan-19
ainsleyhunt 28-Dec-20
stringgunner 28-Dec-20
27-Nov-18
I'm wanting to try a thumb release for hunting and don't have the option of shooting any before I buy. I shoot a d loop and like the idea of just clipping it on and forgetting it til the shot. Also not looking to break the bank either. Looking for some suggestions. Thanks

27-Nov-18
I went to a Tru Fire Hurricane Revolution 4 finger 3-4 years ago, after using a Truball 4 finger for a couple years. like it so much I bought a second as backup and don't plan on ever changing. It did change my draw length due to how different you have to anchor but thats a minor issue. I love having my hands free in the treestand. Love it.

Craig

27-Nov-18
Spend the money on a good one. Carter is hard to beat. I have the Nock 2 It....great release.

27-Nov-18
Carter or Stan. Like Nick said....don't skimp.

27-Nov-18
Pick up a used exxus made by Scott. They no longer make them.

27-Nov-18
I have a carter wise choice. I loved it for target but executing a back tension while hunting is beyond me. I mashed the crap out of the trigger. I’m going to try my index release and see if I can get it to shoot as well as the thumb and if so, I’ll go back to it. If not, I’ll stick to the thumb with the realization my pea brain can’t execute back tension when there’s an elk screaming at me.

27-Nov-18
I really like my T.R.U. Ball Max 4 Pro. This was my first year using a thumb release and I really like it.

27-Nov-18

x-man's Link
I prefer a more compact three finger for hunting.

27-Nov-18
First off, don't skimp on the release. I like Carter, but others are also good. Oh, and buy 2, and keep one in your pack. I've never laid mine down somewhere and forgotten it (but I also used the same sunglasses for my entire flying career - almost 40 years, and the same pen that I received with my first Captain bid 'til I retired -19 years), but know others who have.

27-Nov-18
I agree with x-man.

I like a compact release. I use a Tru Ball Fang 3. I like being able to put it in my pocket or keep it on my wrist. I run paracord through it, and then run that under the strap on watch so it will stay attached to my wrist without fear of dropping it when I'm stationary for periods of time.

27-Nov-18
Carter are hard to beat, not cheap at first but when you can shoot the same one for 20 plus years they actually are cheap. My brother shoots the old Carter Big Boy I believe and he has shot them for at least 20 years. Shawn

27-Nov-18
As far as the Vapor, I feel it is the best direct linkage release on the market. I still think it is a step back from any seared release.

27-Nov-18
3 Finger, Stan Shootoff. Great! I switched from a caliper wrist-type strap about 5 years ago and I love having both hands free. The Stan is adjustable and super crisp.

27-Nov-18
I switched to a Trufire Edge four finger about 4 years ago. Never going back to a trigger.

27-Nov-18
Trudall falkrum

27-Nov-18
I lose them to much....in any event in addition to any carter or stan....Trubal blade is good handheld for hunting. Positive easy attachment, soild nor travel on the thumb button. Comes in a couple sizes. If your looking for a deal on one there is medium in unit 37 WY on the ground that fell of my pocket when I was taking a dump.

27-Nov-18
I have shot a hot shot vapor like mentioned above (have 2) but as Bowfeeak mentioned just not quite as crisp as I would like. I have yet to find the perfect release for me (and I’ve got a small fortune invested in trying). Right now I am using a combo of Spot Hogg’s for hunting. Not sure if I’ll stick with them or not, but the best combo of features I’ve found for my personal preferences right now.

—Jim

27-Nov-18
I have a Carter Ember 1. Great release.

27-Nov-18
Buy a good one. Don't worry about how much they cost. There are a lot of good used ones out there too. I use a Nock2it and carry a 3 finger Wise choice as a back up. Carter releases

29-Nov-18
Thanks for the comments so far sounds like I really need to just get a good one and not settle for second best!

29-Nov-18
Go look on archerytalk classifieds. You can pick up a nice one for cheaper then new in great condition. I switched bout 5 years ago when I bought a carter chocolate lite. Recently picked up a tru fire synapse and absolutely love how it feels in my hand.

29-Nov-18
I shoot a Carter and Stan. Try as many as you possibly can, and when you finally decide which one you like best, but at least 2 of them.

I can’t even image hunting with anything other than a thumb release.

29-Nov-18
Started as a youngster with a thumb release, an old school Hot Shot which I still have, and was never able to get comfortable with a trigger release. Also, I love being able to leave it on the string and have my hand totally free. I used the Hot Shot for over 30 years because I couldn't find another thumb release that I liked better. Finally I came across the Stanislawski SX3 and I LOVE it. Feels great in my hand, is totally adjustable, and is an absolute quality piece of equipment. They aren't cheap but are worth the money. You can pick up a used one if you look around. I think I bought mine off of Archery Talk classifieds.

29-Nov-18
I've use a Scott Sigma the last couple years. I love it but one thing I'd say is practice with bulky clothing. This year I had a situation where I was holding back for to long as a buck made a scrape. I decided to let down and the thumb button hit my jacket. I shot right into the side of a tree.

03-Jan-19
I am wondering of the Carter releases everyone has used which is better for hunting purposes. Would like to be able to hold them and shoot some but it's not an option right now. Thanks

03-Jan-19
You can find great deals on releases on AT in which thats where i picked mine up. a carter just be cuz for like 125 tmd. dont like it sell it and try another or trade for another. carter is the best release for hand held in the business. good luck with your choice

28-Dec-20

ainsleyhunt's embedded Photo
ainsleyhunt's embedded Photo

ainsleyhunt's Link
I love being able to leave it on the string and have my hand totally free. I used the Hot Shot for over 30 years because I couldn't find another thumb release that I liked better. Finally I came across the Stanislawski SX3 and I LOVE it. Feels great in my hand, is totally adjustable, and is an absolute quality piece of equipment. They aren't cheap but are worth the money.

28-Dec-20
Nice add for the hunting community page ainsleyhunt.

• Sitka Gear