Michael 29-Nov-18
ki-ke 29-Nov-18
MPN 29-Nov-18
Grunt-N-Gobble 29-Nov-18
Bowfreak 30-Nov-18
Cheesehead Mike 30-Nov-18
BadlandsRoger 30-Nov-18
28-Nov-18
I got 5 PP's for Elk in WY, 4 for Deer, 4 for antelope. What to do? Never hunted elk, but got a mule deer in 2012 and 2014 and antelope in 2012 and 2014.

28-Nov-18
Tommy 5 for elk is no mans lands. Too much to spend on general tag and too few to get you a good limited entry tag. flip a coin or wait. Deer...WY took a beating in the top regions the for winter kill. If you had a good spot to burn those points I dont think you'd miss anything for quite some time. Or better still hold on to them and add to them and hope that in about 4 years you can draw G or H with 8 or 9 and that it made a come back.

4 points will get you into some Dandy lope units if you wanted to and are willing to do some leg work.

28-Nov-18
You're a long way from an elk hunt worth holding out for, burn em if you want to hunt or wait another 10.

28-Nov-18
I had a great hunt in a 5 point unit and killed a bull bigger than what came out of most of the high point units from what I saw. PM if you want some info

28-Nov-18
Trial, I disagree that 5 points is "too many" to burn on a general tag. In not too many years, that's what the Gen Tag is gonna cost. And if you're willing to put in for the special draw price ($1100), there are units that will provide a better-than-general-tag hunt in the upcoming few years if you have 5 now. Do some research: it's not too tough to find out what you'll be able to draw now and in 1, 2, 3 years. Most people who have their eyes set on a specific unit aren't going to point it out to you.

28-Nov-18
Ilk, I hunted WY this year. In fact I have hunted WY 3 of the last 10 years for elk, I wouldn't burn 5 points on Gen tag just yet. While I think your right that it may take 5 point for gen tag in the future, it doesn't right now and I wouldn't burn 5 points on one.

28-Nov-18
Thanks all. I'll probably just keep holding on to them. But i'm not looking for a giant, just a respectable 5x5 or 6x6

28-Nov-18
You could apply 2019 for a general tag with a Bowsiter with zero points, you both would be in the draw with 2.5 points. Should be enough for a general tag next year or any other unit that historically has taken 2 points to draw. Choose wisely!

28-Nov-18
You could possibly do some research into a unit you may be interested down the road. Then apply for a cow tag as a second choice, in order to get some boots on the ground knowledge before you burn your points. Just a thought

28-Nov-18
"But i'm not looking for a giant, just a respectable 5x5 or 6x6"

The thing is, the better the unit, in general, the easier it is to arrow one of those. If those are the oldest bulls and there's not that many of them, they can be very tough. They're much easier when there's a lot of them and older bulls as well to keep them away from the cows.

28-Nov-18
Do points work for residents same as non resident? Wife and I are trying to move to WY and currently have 4 elk points

28-Nov-18
Do you have a partner? If not and you want one you can both draw a General tag with those 5 points.

Or if not are you hunting solo or with someone who has the same points as you?

28-Nov-18
Bob - no, Wyoming residents do not have points for elk, deer, or antelope. The general elk and deer tags are otc for residents.

28-Nov-18
I have 6 points at 70 years old I will try for one more tag then i'm out. it takes to long

28-Nov-18
Tough spot to be for first time elk hunter? Not really!. Sharing with someone with experience in a general would be a win win. Especially if you plan to archery and rifle. Makes a lot of sense to me!

I have two boys with 8pts that have elk hunted before, but not enough imo to waste 8 points on a diy deal type 9 archery on there own. Just something to think about.

29-Nov-18
That's definitely not too many to burn on a general tag, in my opinion. It's only 2 more than required. I'm a lousy elk hunter but when I can manage a Wyoming general tag, I'm on bulls every single day. There's never a dull moment. You can either build points for 5 more years for a hunt that's slightly better than a general unit, or you can, in that time, go on two hunts and have twice the fun.

29-Nov-18
Go when you can and try to get the best you can at your point level.

Sitting out and building points to with the expectation of pulling a top end tag will most likely have you taking them to the grave.

The deck is definitely stacked against you catching up and drawing a tag significantly better than a general tag in the next 20 years and who knows how many changes the state will make to the system in that time.

You could have several really good elk hunts in Wyoming with a lot less investment in the same time frame.

29-Nov-18
I have 10 points and actually thought about cashing them in on a general hunt with a bunch of buddies who had zero. I'm sick of the points game and will be going solo on a type 9 hunt this year to be done with it. Gen elk in Wyoming is 10 times better than anywhere else I've been. Back when you could draw it as a second choice in 2014 and 15 I had the best elk hunts of my life, barring my 25 years to draw a Utah San Juan archery tag.

Now to figure out which type 9 unit to hunt this year, but that's a different topic :)

Cheers, Pete

29-Nov-18
I also have 5 points and have been thinking the same thing.......Splitting them with a buddy and just doing general. I am wondering if it's possible for someone to NOT apply their points to an application. I got a friend with 5 and he's thinking alike. If one of us could not apply our points and save them for a future year, we could draw two general hunts. Probably not possible but it would be nice.

29-Nov-18
If you get a tag you lose your points

29-Nov-18
Your friend could apply for RP Cow/calf tag. No PPs required and he dont lose ANY points

29-Nov-18
I currently have 3 elk points. I have never been elk hunting but I've been to Wyoming twice for antelope and mule deer. I'm not looking to kill a huge elk I just want to kill my first bull. Do I wait and hold on to my points and go do an otc in a different state? Im just looking for some advice I appreciate any help.

29-Nov-18
three points I would spend on a Gen tag, 5 points I wouldnt as I think there are slightly better options

29-Nov-18
Just to clarify, I have zero interest in a cow hunt. Any decent bull elk hunts for under $5K?

29-Nov-18
There are a handful of units that you could have drawn in the special draw last year with 1 to 2 more points then what you have.

I have personally been in 2 of them and would love to hunt either one of them again.

So I wouldn’t say your in no mans land. With point creep you should draw a tag in the not to distant future.

29-Nov-18
I believe there exist several opportunities for a good hunt in a 5pt unit where you can have a fantastic hunt. You may need to adjust your budget north a bit......

Pm for details.

29-Nov-18

29-Nov-18
This thread is basically the same question i was going to ask in a few years, however by then id have 8 or 9 pts. Im sitting on at least 5 but thinking 6.

Im glad to hear there are good options cause i really dont want to wait another 10yrs. Might even split them with the right person.

30-Nov-18
I'm in the same boat with 5 points. Debating on whether to split my points or keep banking them. I am not picky and would consider it a good hunt just to be in elk with opportunities.

30-Nov-18
Keep banking them so you don't compete with the guys like me who will hunt general every year I can draw...

30-Nov-18
I'm following this one. I've got 4 PP right now. I've never hunted Wyoming but I have a few ideas of where to go. I also have two different friends who own ranches in Unit 7 that I could access if I should get a tag there. I haven't done any homework on any of it yet though. I've just been lazy and applying for the point every year.

• Sitka Gear