TD 29-Nov-18
Grunter 29-Nov-18
Nick Muche 29-Nov-18
YZF-88 29-Nov-18
Backpack Hunter 29-Nov-18
Tracker 29-Nov-18
TD 30-Nov-18
28-Nov-18
How warm is this piece during periods of inactivity.

28-Nov-18
7.5 on a scale of 10

28-Nov-18
Lowish 30s with no wind. I thought mine wasn’t that warm for its bulk.

28-Nov-18
I bought one this year. I've worn it in CO as low as teens with wind. I was fine with a Sitka heavyweight base, Klamath grid fleece, super thing Wild Things wind shirt and the puffy over it. The wind shirt was only because I had the puffy off when moving and no need to remove/replace when the puffy went on/off.

I've worn it in TN (humid cold - worse than out west in my opinion) down to around 20 degrees while stationary with the same set up. I was fine.

Different people handle cold differently. Hard to tell you, friend. I've learned, duck hunting for years, that some people just are miles apart from each other in how they handle the elements.

28-Nov-18
I'm usually warm and I find that the uncompahgre puffy is great for warmth and for the weight its hard to beat. 20 degrees outside and I'm fine with it on.

--Mitch

28-Nov-18
I’ve never been cold with mine. Of course, I wear a couple of light merino wool layers underneath when it’s really cold outside and I’m not moving. I’ve worn it with a few layers riding a four wheeler in December on late elk hunts when it’s 10-20 below zero in the morning with no issues. Everyone is different though. What gets me every time is my toes

29-Nov-18
It's usually my 4th layer, with a merino base, fleece second, merino vest 3rd. Never been in weather I could wear it when active at all, too warm. Only inactive. Have only needed the 5th layer Yukon jacket when real windy or wet. Most times in those conditions I'm wearing the Yukon as second, third or forth layer without the puffy.

For me, with it's size, weight and packability (is that a word?) it's pretty darn good. It lives in my pack. Down may be better insulation and weight wise, but i worry about getting it wet and how it holds up to being very compressed over time.

Is it just me or is it kinda fun to say "puffy".......

29-Nov-18
I love this jacket. Wore it elk hunting glassing in the morn this year. Also used it as my outer 3rd layer bowhunting all Nov in WI. I stay warm with it down to 32 with little wind. Anything colder and you will need a 4th layer for all day sits. I highly reccomend

29-Nov-18
I've worn one on two musk ox hunts with layers under and over it as well, I wasn't cold. I've used it while glassing many times and it's done the job as well.

The Chamberlin is MUCH warmer, but it's down and a bit bulkier. I prefer synthetic, but when it's not necessary I've used the Chamberlin instead. I think it is the warmest puffy jacket out there.

When backpacking, I use the Cirrus as it's lighter than the Uncompahgre and synthetic as well. I've had that jacket soaking wet while stalking a caribou in the rain (started raining after the stalk began) and it still kept me warm. Works just fine for glassing with layers underneath it as well.

29-Nov-18
Through September I’ve never need anything more. I hate cold too.

This year I had two late season elk hunts that were forecasted to be damn cold and they were!!! I bought a puffy vest (one size smaller) to wear under it when not hiking, glassing or at camp. Worked great and killed 2 good bulls...so it had to have been the vest.

29-Nov-18
I have stayed warm to 28 degrees wearing two lightweight merino shirts underneath. It cuts the wind well, and while not waterproof it is pretty water resistant.

29-Nov-18
Thanks for all the feedback.

30-Nov-18
Makes an OK pillow too....... =D

• Sitka Gear