Adrenaline Russ 19-Jun-19
hdaman 19-Jun-19
woodguy65 19-Jun-19
SteveB 19-Jun-19
T Mac 19-Jun-19
29-Nov-18

Adrenaline Russ's Link
Hello Fellow Bowsiters,

Some of you may already know this, but Ron and Jeannine have begun their well-deserved retirement from their bear outfitting business!

I visited with Ron recently and he has agreed to allow me to continue the Annual Christmas Auction! I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ron and Jeannine one more time for the past generosity.

My wife Shelley and I own Adrenaline Outfitters. We have been Bowsite Sponsors for many years. Our camp is located on the East side of Lake Winnipeg and would be considered a remote, drive-in Bear Camp.

The rules will be the same as in the past:

1. Bowsite, it's owners, employees, and its sponsors are not affiliated, or responsible for this auction or any issues regarding from it, nor will be held liable if any problems arise.

2. Adrenaline Outfitters Ltd. will not receive any monies generated from this auction. All funds generated from this auction will be donated to the charity of the winning bidders choice.

3. The Auction will run until December 20, 2018. If the bidding slows down prior to that, Shelley and I will give a 24 hour notice for the Auction to be closed.

4. You are bidding on an all-inclusive hunt, with tags and taxes included. This hunt may be taken in 2019 or 2020 available dates (please contact me for availability).

5. This is not a leftover or fill in hunt. You pick your dates (based on current openings at time of Auction close).

6. To claim your hunt, the Auction winner must donate to their charity of choice, their full bidded amount, then produce the tax deductible receipt showing the date and amount donated. Once that is provided, we will confirm your hunt dates and complete all booking forms.

Shelley and I would like to thank Bowsite for providing this opportunity to us.

Currently, our website is being updated, but for a review of the 2018 spring hunt, please check our Facebook page. Please PM or email us if you have any questions about the hunt, travel requirements, or any other details.

Good luck and thanks in advance to all bidders.

Russ and Shelley Mehling/Adrenaline Outfitters Ltd.

29-Nov-18
I’ll start at $1,000.

—jim

29-Nov-18
$2500, St Judes

30-Nov-18

Adrenaline Russ's embedded Photo
Pat with a happy hunter!
Pat with a happy hunter!
Some of you that have hunted with Ron in the past may recognize this young fella! We're excited to announce Pat has decided to join us for next spring (and beyond)! He'll bring a wealth of experience to an already stacked roster of guides!

Russ & Shelley/Adrenaline Outfitters

30-Nov-18
Way to go Russ! For those of you that don't know Russ he's a first class dude and I'm proud to call him a friend, but that's probably his downfall lol. Sure take some great bears every year - I've seen the pics!

30-Nov-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Hi Pat!

30-Nov-18
Having hunted with Russ at this camp before I can attest to the quality of hunt this is. Bid with confidence!

30-Nov-18

lineman21's embedded Photo
lineman21's embedded Photo

30-Nov-18
Hopefully whoever wins this auction gets to hunt with Pat! He's a first rate guy and a helluva bear guide! I had a ball hunting with him a couple years ago! Glad to see him doing well.

01-Dec-18
Thanks for the kind words Cole...yours is still one of the most intense hunts we've ever experienced!

Brotsky, I can definitely add a disclaimer that the winning bidder gets to choose Pat as his guide!

Russ/Adrenaline Outfitters

03-Dec-18
A few days ago Russ contacted me in regards to keeping our Christmas Auction running. What a class act and kind thing to do by asking to continue it. Jeannine and I had dinner with Pat and his wife Marie-Anne a couple weeks ago and the auction subject came up. A few days later Russ contacted us. We were thrilled to give his request the thumbs up. Pat is everything people say he is. I always said, if Pat can't find a wounded bear, it's not findable. I thought I was pretty decent but this guy is the bear whisperer!

Good luck with this Russ and enjoy the ride.

Ron and Jeannine Dare (Semi-retired)

03-Dec-18
Only if Jeannine is doing the cooking? :)

04-Dec-18
Sorry, while I can confirm Pat may be the guide for the hunt, I cannot say the same for Jeannine doing the cooking ;)

Russ

04-Dec-18

Mule Power's Link
$2550 Ryan’s Wings

04-Dec-18
Not getting too excited because I know Big Pizzaman will swoop in and outbid us all!

06-Dec-18

06-Dec-18
$2700 Transverse Myelitis Association

07-Dec-18

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo

07-Dec-18
$2800, St Judes

08-Dec-18
Hey Bowsiters,

I'm about to take off for the weekend to my son's hockey tournament - and believe it or not, we won't have wifi for the weekend!!

Hopefully bidding picks up, but if it doesn't, Shell and I will make a call to end it earlier. We'll see where things are at Monday, but we will make sure to give a 24 hour notice to the close of the auction.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Russ & Shelley Mehling - Adrenaline Outfitters

09-Dec-18
I don’t know if I’d pull the plug early Russ. As an avid eBayer I can tell you lots of people hold off on bidding until the final hour.

09-Dec-18
Russ, maybe you could share more detail about your operation. More info here might encourage more bidding. Your website appears to be very limited. Where are you located? Logistics? Fly into where? Pick up at airport or need to rent a car? Average size bears? Percentage pope and young? Color phase? How many hunters per week? Etc.

09-Dec-18
Exactly SDHNTR!

09-Dec-18
No problem, here is some more info:

Our camp is approximately 2.5 hours NE of Winnipeg MB. We stay in a motel in the small town of Manigotagan. Our hunt area is North and East of that community. Normally we put two hunters in a room. Each room has a private bathroom, satellite tv, and 2 double beds. We operate with a maximum of 6 guests per week. The area is allocated, which means there are no other outfitters in the area and we know resident pressure is all but non existent.

Hunters are required to get themselves to camp. It is all paved road, except the last 2 miles. Plan to arrive Sunday late afternoon. After supper Sunday, we issue tags and go over an orientation covering sizing/sexing bears, treestand etiquette, and explain the week's schedule.

You will hunt Monday to Friday, predominantly evenings. Each guide will have 2 hunters. Breakfast and lunch are eaten in the restaurant attached to the hotel - it is only open to our guests. A bag lunch is packed and hunters usually take part of it to the stand and leave some to snack on when they get back.

You will leave camp between 2 and 3. Stands are from 1/2 hour to 2 hours from camp. We aim to hunt the last 6 hours of every day. We have a lot of sites and only stands with the proper wind will be hunted. You will get back to camp between 11 and 1 am depending on the stand you were at and the time of year. Stands are generally 2-man ladder stands, 15' high and from 18 to 22 yards from the bait.

You will hunt Monday to Friday. Departure is Saturday morning after breakfast. Most hunters drive in for the hunt and take their meat/hides with them since crossing the border is easy. If one wants, we have an excellent taxidermist to recommend.

Our first week fishing season is closed, but after that, we have 2 boats on hand for guests to use. The walleye fishing gets better as the season progresses and peaks in late May. It usually stays excellent until the end of the season.

Bugs will start up around May 15 and get crazy after that. Bring a thermacell!

Our opportunity rate is near 100%, with our kill rate around 80% (not including unrecovered bears). We only started weighing our bears this spring, but an honest average would be 225-250. Hides will generally square at 6'+. Since we tube skin most of our bears, it is hard to get true squares.

We seldom get skull sizes from our guests, but having been a P & Y scorer involved in many bear kills and scoring a ton of them, I would estimate we kill a couple 18's per week, and will get a couple in the 20's per season. Over the past 3 years, hunters have averaged seeing 3+ bears per sit.

If you would have asked me 3 years ago about taking a colour phase, I would have said 1 in 25 or less! This has been changing and last year we took 2 colour phases and saw 4 more.

My favourite statistic is our repeat clientele. All of our 2018 guests are returning, and we have some booked for 2019 that hunted with us prior to that.

Hope that clears a few things up, and if there are more questions, please ask on here or contact me.

Thanks for following,

09-Dec-18

Here are some pics of our bears...

09-Dec-18

Great father/son moment on one of our Youth Hunts
Great father/son moment on one of our Youth Hunts

09-Dec-18

Another Youth Hunter
Another Youth Hunter
Another Father/Son double!
Another Father/Son double!

10-Dec-18
Those are some very nice trophy photos....well done!

10-Dec-18
Russ, could you elaborate on the meal situation further? Are you saying that a sack lunch is it for the rest of day?

10-Dec-18
I think he meant to say breakfast and dinner are at the restaurant and you take a sack lunch hunting. But then again.... you don’t get back to “camp” until 11pm to 1am so maybe not. A sack dinner?

I’d be leaving a pizza at the hotel for when I got back. Or my good old Jetboil and some Mountain Houses.

10-Dec-18
I would think big lunch and breakfast . Then sack lunch for stand. Come home few beers . Then large breakfast next day. You want die skipping one meal . I promise .

10-Dec-18
He says you leave camp at 2-3 PM to head to stand. So you would eat breakfast and lunch at normal times at restaurant. After lunch you would head to stands with a sack lunch(dinner). Is how I understand it.

10-Dec-18
FWIW....on my hunt last year in that area with an outfitter....it was common not to get back to camp until 1100-pm - 1200pm....one time later. We ate dinner then. The bag lunch/snack was eaten around 5-7pm.

The other open question is there a max size limit on the walleye?

10-Dec-18
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back on here. I wasn't at a computer all morning.

Yes, we serve a big breakfast, then our large meal is at lunch. In the past, we packed bag lunches for the day, then had our large meal after the hunt. At the recommendation of quite a few of our guests, we changed it. Since then, most have been happy with this schedule.

What was happening was some hunters getting back to camp an hour later than others. Some would feel obligated to wait until everyone was back before eating, or would eat by themselves. If they waited, it just got too late. Most did not enjoy a large meal just before heading to bed, and didn't sleep well.

So, we moved the large meal to lunch (1:30ish) and pack a bag lunch for hunters. Some would take a bit to munch on in the stand, then finish it off at camp when they got back. This also provides an opportunity for everyone in camp to share a meal at the same time.

Regarding walleye sizes, there is a slot limit and any walleye over 22" have to be released. That's ok, since our experience shows the 18-20 walleyes are the tastiest...and we have a LOT of experience when it comes to eating walleye. :)

10-Dec-18
EXCELLENT and detailed response. Fine photos too. My only question is if there's any option to stay closer to the action? A 2 hr drive to and from stands sounds like a bit of a drag. How close is the fishing?

10-Dec-18
The boats are parked about 300 yards from the hotel!

We can have you in several stands in less than an hour from camp. So, as long as the winds are good, and there are good bears in the area, we can keep travel light for those that request it.

Even though we are staying in a motel, this area is quite remote. We are literally at the 'end of the road', so there are very few options regarding accommodations.

Russ/Adrenaline

10-Dec-18
Any option for 2 bears? If that's even legal, of course.

10-Dec-18
Aside from good hunting the thing that makes or breaks a hunt is the people you do it with. Sounds like you have that part covered Russ. You seem like a very nice guy. Organized too which I like.

10-Dec-18
Manitoba is a one bear province.

MP, thanks for the kind words.

Russ

11-Dec-18
Got it. Thanks for the reply. OK now, back to bidding!

13-Dec-18
Are you allowing rifle hunts at the same time as your bowhunts?

13-Dec-18
It is a general season, which means any weapon is legal. With that said, we had all bowhunters in 2018, and only two rifle hunters in 2017 - one was the wife of a long-time guest of ours that had come along as a non-hunter for years.

Without really trying, we have become almost exclusively bowhunting. I'd have to check stats to confirm, but I would say over 85% of our hunters are bowhunters. For 2019, I believe we have 2 rifle hunters and 1 cross bow hunter on the books.

Russ/Adrenaline

13-Dec-18
Just a reminder the auction ends in 7 days - December 20, 2018.

We'll go until 3 pm Central Time. Right now, huntinelk is at a $2800 donation to St. Jude's.

Russ/Adrenaline

13-Dec-18
Pm sent Russ.

17-Dec-18

A defined hump and sway back usually define a mature bear
A defined hump and sway back usually define a mature bear
Compare the size of this bear to the barrel. A hunter had this bear at 22 yards last spring...not quite ready when it came in!
Compare the size of this bear to the barrel. A hunter had this bear at 22 yards last spring...not quite ready when it came in!
This big bear showed up very early this Spring!
This big bear showed up very early this Spring!
Into the last 4 days gents!

Here are some photos of bears we know made it through the season!

18-Dec-18

This bear was living here all spring but tricky winds kept us from hunting this stand.
This bear was living here all spring but tricky winds kept us from hunting this stand.
Great way to judge a bear...if you can fit him in the barrel, too small. This one is not fitting in the barrel!
Great way to judge a bear...if you can fit him in the barrel, too small. This one is not fitting in the barrel!
Gotta love hunting the rut!
Gotta love hunting the rut!
3 days left!

More bears we are targeting for 2019!

19-Dec-18
Great looking bear Russ.

20-Dec-18

Dusty's first bear from this Spring!!
Dusty's first bear from this Spring!!
7 hours left boys!

20-Dec-18
TIC (Talk is Cheap Inc.) $3000

20-Dec-18
This is a great hunt guys. I’ve only been on 2 bear hunts but this one was far and away the best. I’d be bidding on it if I didn’t have my vacation days spoken for in 2019.

20-Dec-18
$3100 , St Judes

20-Dec-18

Long time guest Dennis with his 2018 Spring Bear!
Long time guest Dennis with his 2018 Spring Bear!
4 hours and counting...

20-Dec-18
$3300 TIC Talk is Cheap, Inc

20-Dec-18
$3400, St Judes

20-Dec-18
$3600 TIC Talk is Cheap, Inc

20-Dec-18
$3700, St Judes

20-Dec-18
3,850.00 "International Christian Concern" ICC Doug

20-Dec-18
$4500 TIC Talk is Cheap, Inc

20-Dec-18
Getting close now guys!!

I will stay at my computer until 3. At that time I will hit refresh and the high bidder will be notified.

Thanks for all who are bidding. I've checked out the charities and all seem very worthy. Good Job Bowsiters.

20-Dec-18
Attaboy Steve!

20-Dec-18
$4600, St Judes

20-Dec-18
4,700.00 ICC Doug

20-Dec-18
$4800, St Judes

20-Dec-18
T - 5 minutes!

20-Dec-18
5,350.00 ICC Doug

20-Dec-18
5550.00 ICC Doug

20-Dec-18
2 minutes!!

20-Dec-18
$5750 TIC and Africa Health and Hope

20-Dec-18
Auction is closed. Thanks to everyone who bid - I was getting pretty jacked near the end.

At this time, Saphead is the Auction winner for a bid of $5550. I will let everyone know once all has been confirmed.

Thanks Ron, Pat and Bowsite for allowing us to continue this incredible tradition.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Russ/Shelley/Luke Mehling - Adrenaline Outfitters Ltd

20-Dec-18
SteveB - sent you a pm

20-Dec-18
Wow!

Thanks to all of the bidders.

Congrats Saphead!

Russ, what a professionally conducted auction. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

20-Dec-18
Awesome job guys! You are going to have an awesome hunt!

20-Dec-18
Can't wait. Taking at least 1 son. Thanks Russ for the donation of the hunt!

Doug

20-Dec-18
I’m confused. Looks like SteveB won the hunt not Saphead???

20-Dec-18
I believe SteveB's final bid was placed after the bidding was closed.

20-Dec-18
Hey MP (and anyone else who noticed the discrepancy),

As I promised, when my computer hit 3:00:00 pm Central, I hit refresh and Saphead was the winning bidder. I typed the final result in, and when I hit 'Submit Message' and the page refreshed again, I saw SteveB had placed a higher bid.

I immediately PM'd SteveB to explain what happened. I felt terrible writing the PM, then I thought, 'hey, this is my auction, I don't have to feel bad!', and came to a decision.

Saphead is the winner of the auction. Once I receive the documentation required, that will become official and him and I will start making plans for his hunt.

SteveB is the consolation winner. I have discussed with him and if he provides documentation of his donation bid, we will start making plans for his hunt as well. Think of the extra $200 as a late bidder penalty!!

At the end, we'll have raised over $11,000 for charity. I'd like to applaud SteveB and Saphead for playing, as well as all the other bidders. It was a good time.

Now I have to go explain to my boss (Shelley) why we are giving away 2 hunts!! LOL!!

Russ Mehling - Adrenaline Outfitters

20-Dec-18
Man this is really cool. Major kudos to the sponsor and both of you guys for stepping up. Dilly dilly!

20-Dec-18
Well done as usual! Hope the winners have a great hunt. Cool to see this each year. Thanks boys!

20-Dec-18
That was mighty nice of everyone concerned to do this for a charity....well done gents!! Maybe this will gin up some other charity auctions.

20-Dec-18
Wow that’s pretty generous Russ. This auction has always been a class act and you are certainly carrying on that tradition. Best of luck to both winners.

20-Dec-18
Dang generous Russ. Good job. Doesn’t surprise me though. When I booked a bear hunt with Russ a few years back we agreed on a price for a hunt in a new area. If I remember right, we were to bring our own food and help the guide with camp chores and such. I think this was a new type of hunt for Adrenaline but I’m not sure. Anyway, it was discounted from their regular hunts at the hotel with meals. About a month or two before the hunt Russ called and said they were building a huge powerline through our hunting area and he was concerned about it negatively affecting our hunt. He offered for us to hunt at the main camp with all meals taken care of for the price of the discounted outpost camp. It was an awesome gesture that was very much appreciated. I’ll be back soon Russ!

20-Dec-18
I’m happy to have been able to be a part of it. Had I lost out, I would have been 100% ok with it and accepted the results. However, Russ and his family just like the Dare family obviously understand the value of giving and accordingly I’m happy to complete my commitment. Anytime you can combine giving and hunting I’m all in.

21-Dec-18
Amazing job here with wonderful people.. thx all

21-Dec-18
Bowsite wins the internet yet again. Great work by all the bidders and especially Russ for doubling up for charity. Hope you have a tremendous season next spring!

21-Dec-18
I'm just glad that you didn't end the auction early......look at how much the bids increased in the last 7-8 hours of the auction...….almost double.

21-Dec-18
Exactly Jake. That’s how it always goes. I sometimes set a reminder in my phone for the last hour of auctions. It’s fun to hit the refresh button and watch the numbers change. On eBay I bid when there are 5 seconds left! Lol

21-Dec-18
Great stuff!

21-Dec-18
Russ - your winning bidder will not be disappointed.

21-Dec-18
Excellent work gentlemen! Russ that is one heck of consolation prize!

I always enjoy these threads, I just can't hang with the big money guys on bidding.

Congratulations and enjoy your hunts, well done by all!

21-Dec-18
Russ, thanks for doing this. Taking both hunters shows your true colors. Thanks to the bidders too.

21-Dec-18
Well done Russ!

Jeannine and I are happy for both bidders/winners. And thanks for keeping the auction a Bowsite Christmas tradition.

24-Dec-18
Just was looking to see how the auction went. WOW! Incredible bids and donation by Russ and the hunters! Congratulations!

19-Jun-19

Zane took his bear on Wednesday night. Great shot, easy recovery, incredible memories!!
Zane took his bear on Wednesday night. Great shot, easy recovery, incredible memories!!
Samuel waited until the last day to take his bear. He was awesome on the trailing job helping the old guys find his bear!! One dad, two sons, two bears = one incredible week of memories!!
Samuel waited until the last day to take his bear. He was awesome on the trailing job helping the old guys find his bear!! One dad, two sons, two bears = one incredible week of memories!!
We completed our 2019 Auction Hunt...well, at least one of them. Auction winner #1 Doug brought his 2 sons up last week and both took their first bears and both with their bows! Was the perfect way to end the season.

Stay tuned this December for another opportunity to donate to your favourite cause and win a bear hunt at the same time!! Have a great summer everyone!!

Russ & Shelley Mehling - Adrenaline Outfitters Ltd.

19-Jun-19
Thanks to the two of you for doing this!

19-Jun-19
Congrats to those two young men - awesome bears!

19-Jun-19
This is so awesome on many level...and I am excited to get my auction hunt in next Spring! Congrats to Samuel, Zane and Doug on outstanding success and making lifetime memories!

19-Jun-19
Wow awesome I’m all regards! Well done guys!

• Sitka Gear