Paul@thefort 03-Dec-18
30-Nov-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
across the river
across the river
Some us have been there; and if you bow hunt long enough, it will happen to you.

A lost buck and this case a great WT buck.

I was hunting on private property in Nebraska in mid Oct. trying to fill two WT doe tags when the land owner told me that if I saw a buck, "shoot it!" as all of the deer did a lot of crop damage. Two days later hunting off the ground along a narrow cut wheat field along the river, this buck come by prior to sun rise. I grunt, he stops at 21 yards. The arrow hit him slightly high but he makes in across the field, through the high grass along the river and then crosses. There was a slight but discernible blood trail and I could see where he exited the river. I find half of the bloody arrow. Later I got permission to follow from the adjacent landowner but waited two more hours before I took up the blood trial. He left the river bottom and did a very large half circle through the hard woods and pins, and ended up back at the river, some 700 yards upstream. In some cases the blood trail was sparse but track -able. and I follow it for two hours back to the river. He never bedded down which was later a concern. At the river, the grass was very thick and chest high, but I did find a drop here and there and some times more, and then finely at the river's edge a pool of blood. I checked the other side but saw no evidence of him crossing. I check up and down the river but found no evidence of actually which direction he went. Later I went back up stream, crossed the bridge, and came back to the other side. No sign of there he went and since he never bedded down, I might have suspected that he made it to the river bank even before I came back to pick up the trial. And if he did cross, washed off any blood, and then disappeared. I was at a loss and gave up the chase.

So last week I returned to fill my second doe tag and on the third day I hunted the same narrow wheat field along the river. Without success, and around 10 am, I decided to walk the river, still with the memory of that buck and maybe, just maybe, I might find some evidence of how the buck had disappeared. The tall grass was now laying flat after the recent snow storm. Two hundred yards into the search and 100 yards from there I had found and last sign of the buck weeks earlier, I see antlers sticking out of the lower grass right next to the river and on the same side I had last seen any sign of the buck and yea, only 100 yards but down stream. After that last pool of blood, he did not cross the river, but some how, made it back down stream and died in the tall grass. A great 5x5 buck, 20 inch outside spread, and 24 inch main beams. I will do an euro mount and will be reminded of a great animal and that I did my best to find and yea, some closure. My best, Paul

30-Nov-18
Glad you go to close out your past hunt. Sometimes exhausting every effort to recover an animal doesn't work out. Always enjoy your threads.

30-Nov-18
Excellent deer.

30-Nov-18
Glad you got closure on that Paul. Nice buck as well.

-Mitch

30-Nov-18
Congrats on the find. I’m in the same shoes right now kind of I just hope I find mine or he lives.

30-Nov-18
From what it appears you killed him fairly quickly....you just couldn`t find him. That`s far better than finding him in this condition miles away. Nice deer.

30-Nov-18
Great post Paul. Definitely been there and glad you have closure.

30-Nov-18
Glad you found him. I had a similar story in Ks several weeks ago. Hit a buck high, at sundown. Waited a bit to track. Lost the blood trail in darkness and decided to return early morning Found him 50 yards from where I lost the trail But coyotes found him first All that was left was bones and some neck meat

30-Nov-18
Good for you bud. I've been there but was never fortunate enough to get the closure I searched so hard for. Now you know for sure his fate and have some piece of mind in that reality.

30-Nov-18
Did you fill your doe tag?

30-Nov-18
Bittersweet I’m sure and like u said if you hunt long enough it will happen. Great deer and find. Thank you for sharing!

30-Nov-18
Tell you what, it sure beats not finding him at all.

Great deer.

30-Nov-18
Always such a relief to solve a mystery like that....congrats.

30-Nov-18
Brad, I did not fill my second doe tag. Most if not all of the deer moved to un hunted adjacent property, next door where there was more and better feed. Actually, the first evening, last Monday, hunting from a ladder stand I had two 4x4 bucks walk by only 21 yards away but I only had a doe tag remaining. A good experience never the less. Paul

30-Nov-18
Glad you found him Paul, these are situations to learn from most of all. He's a great buck, hope you'll post the Euro pics once complete!

Good luck on the geese!

30-Nov-18
And you know what? I will always question myself, as we all do, could I/we have done better. I can only hope I learned something from this that will benefit me the next time. my best, Paul

30-Nov-18
Glad you got your closure, and yes that second guessing ones self will beat you up. Nice buck.

30-Nov-18
Very nice Buck, Paul. congratulations on the find.

30-Nov-18
Glad you at least found him Paul, that will keep you from wondering anyway. We all try to do our best, but sometimes it's just not enough.

30-Nov-18
Nice buck and glad you found him. So true, if you hunt long enough it happens.

30-Nov-18
You're right, Paul. It happens. A good ending and the buck gets remembered.

30-Nov-18
Congrats on finding him Paul. That's a mighty fine whitey!

30-Nov-18
Sorry you lost him; glad you found him; glad he didn’t suffer long. Bummer that you didn’t get to eat him!

30-Nov-18
It's always good to find closure, and we all second guess what happened and what we could have done differently. Knowing you, you did everything in your power to recover him. It happens. Great deer and thanks for posting this.

30-Nov-18
I’ve been there too. Always punch my tag on an animal I’ve hit in the body cavity as soon as it’s done

01-Dec-18
Very nice buck Paul glad you found him.

01-Dec-18
Glad you found him Paul. It happens....

01-Dec-18
Congratulations Paul, huge relief to at the very least know what happened.

01-Dec-18
Agreed on all the above. Thats a great deer. Really glad you found him. I've been there, it means a lot. Like you said, that's how it goes sometimes. No of us like it but its a fact. In my opinion you made a good enough shot and you did stick with it and recover your animal. WELL DONE PAUL.

01-Dec-18
I'm glad you got your closure. A guy can learn a lot about how a mortally wounded deer travels even when they find it weeks later.

01-Dec-18
Glad for you that you found him, Paul.

01-Dec-18
That sucks, Paul. Glad you at least found him. You fed a lot of other critters.

01-Dec-18
Glad you were able to get closure and figure out what happened to your deer, Paul. Stinks to lose one, but it definitely helped feed many other animals out there for at least part of the season.

01-Dec-18
Nice to have closure, and I’m glad for you that your stars aligned. Totally right, eventually it does happen, and it sucks when it does. Hadn’t happened to me since my first year Bowhunting until last year, searched for 5 days and finally found the carcass, disappointed and relief all in one breath. Almost a strange sense of satisfaction. Happy for you Paul

01-Dec-18
Several years ago I had access to some local private land in which a local river was the east boundary. I shot a doe one evening with my recurve that ended up crossing the river. I was out alone by flashlight and finally decided to call it for the night and took the next day off from work to continue. My son was in college and was home the next morning, so I rousted him and we headed back to trail. Like Paul, I found watery blood on the opposite bank and then she went about 150 yards along the river before apparently crossing back. I had my hip waders and walked the bank, but could not find any sign. It was early season and getting warm, so I was getting that knot in the stomach feeling that I had lost the doe. My son had was on the opposite bank most of the time and crossed on a downed log to help me track. He went upstream to find another log to cross and suddenly hollered, "Hey dad, I found your deer!". She was lying in the water with just an ear visible and very cold inside, so there was no meat loss. Apparently she had no strength to climb the tall bank and simply gave up the ghost. I presumed your recovery was going to entail being in the water as well, but I certainly understand the challenges of a washed out blood trail and tall river brush.

01-Dec-18
Glad you got closure Paul. Way to keep up the search.

02-Dec-18
As hard as it is it’s WHY we love it!

With certainty comes boredom. Bow hunting rocks! Enjoy your well earned trophy!

02-Dec-18
What a buck Paul! Glad you were able to recover the rack for closure. I know not being able to salvage the meat stings but sometimes it happens. Thanks for sharing the story Paul!

02-Dec-18
Glad you found him, Paul.

02-Dec-18
Great post Charlie

02-Dec-18
DD, I know the shot was slightly high and some of the blood trail showed signs of a high lung hit as there were a few blood spots with bubbles as might be indicated by a lung hit.

As far a "anything about the shot", I thought that maybe the other half of the arrow might be there, but no. I believe it worked its self out along the way. The coyotes did a great job of destroying any evidence. In hindsight, I thought how could I have missed him but I was convinced he kept going the same way as the last blood indicated and what the blood splatter indicated. I even thought maybe he sank in the creek, but no. As Charlie, pointed out, No boredom here. Something always to learn when hunting wild critters. As as indicated here, nothing goes to waste. Thanks for the question. my best, Paul

03-Dec-18

And another thought, in coyote country, regardless of three weeks after loss, two weeks, two days, one day, a few hours, the coyotes will find the deer. Hopefully one will see the deer go down or before last light.

I wrote a story a few years back, titled, THE FIFTY CENT BUCK. The jest of the story was-- the following day I found the buck but the coyotes beat me to him but they only had eaten half of him before I got there.

You know, half a buck is $.50 cents. :) my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear