DanWesson357 12-Dec-18
dirtclod Az. 12-Dec-18
Wv hillbilly 12-Dec-18
01-Dec-18

Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
The gun hunters will be done with the woods tomorrow evening. I’m gonna get back after some yotes. I ran a few snares and traps on two properties for a couple weeks before gun season started here in Ohio and got a few critters. I was lucky enough to bow hunt in three different states this year. Since the freezer is full it’s time to put it on the yotes again. I’ll start putting out some new sets Monday after work. I’ll try to update each day but we’ll see how it goes. Feel free to add any pics of critters your getting also. I hope there’s a few people doing some predator control around. Here’s a few pics of some yotes from this year. Got 10 in the shed so far.

01-Dec-18

01-Dec-18

01-Dec-18

Mud ball. Second one in this trap
Mud ball. Second one in this trap

01-Dec-18

01-Dec-18

Double. Shot the closet one and before I could shoot the second it pulled the anchor and took off.
Double. Shot the closet one and before I could shoot the second it pulled the anchor and took off.

01-Dec-18

I’ve had three chew outs and two pull the anchors so far. This one came back for more. It had a chewed off snare on it.
I’ve had three chew outs and two pull the anchors so far. This one came back for more. It had a chewed off snare on it.

01-Dec-18
Nice work so far look forward to following along.

01-Dec-18
Thanks tmac I’ll try to keep it interesting. I think Wisconsin teacher is gonna help out also. Today is opening day for cables up there. I’m sure he’s out slamming in some sets.

01-Dec-18
Nicely done....that light red is a really interesting looking yote.

01-Dec-18

Different colors so far
Different colors so far
Thanks Franklin, I get a few cherry colored ones each year

01-Dec-18
Good looking dogs. Nice work.

01-Dec-18
That's a great start. Wish we could use leg hold traps.

01-Dec-18
Wv Hillbilly was correct, I was out scouting and adding sets this morning. I picked up 2 new places this year. I scouted one and set 13 cables on it today. A lot of good sign. I also set a CRP field that I have trapped the past two years. I got 9 sets in there. I could have added more, but the forecast is calling for snow, and I want to see what is out there after we get snow.

This is my 3rd year using cable restrains for coyotes. It is a good time and a great way to get out in the woods. If I catch 1/2 as many as Wv Hillbilly, I will be happy.

01-Dec-18
WvHillbilly, I finally got to catching them late January last winter. Early January ,they kicked my behind . I refer to coyote caught with snares as, "" the ring around the neck syndrome "" . Enjoy your thread . Keep on posting !!

03-Dec-18
Sooo close this morning. Had a coyote walk up to a cable and stop a yard from it and then turned around and walked away. The tracks in the snow don't lie. All you can do is smile and keep plugging away.

03-Dec-18

I try not to brush them in much on open trails.
I try not to brush them in much on open trails.
I didn’t get in from work till late today. Only had about 45 minutes of light. I was able to get in 8 snares on a property I’ve trapped for a couple years. Was only able to set one fence row of it and just set good spots that have produced in past years. I did set one coon snare on a good path. I’ll keep adding more as time allows. I left there and used a headlamp to put snares back up in a spot I had set before gun season opened. Should have some yotes by the end of the week. It’s been over 7 days since I shot one. I’m starting to get the shakes and foam at the mouth.

03-Dec-18

Coon snare
Coon snare

03-Dec-18
What are fur prices looking like this year?

03-Dec-18
T roy.from what I’ve been reading yotes will be anywhere from 10$-100 depending on where you are. The very best xxl coon from northern states might hit 20$ but the majority won’t average over 5-8$. Rats should be around 3$ or so. The best mink might hit 12-15$ and you might get 15$ out of a great beaver.

Not great prices but I’d rather take a few out of the population than see starvation or disease kill them. Several years ago we had distemper hit the coon hard around here. It was terrible seeing so many of them staggering around dying.

03-Dec-18
Love it that y’all are getting out and running trap lines! Great fun and keeps those woodsmanship skills alive.

Unfortunately, Colorado has gone liberal and outlawed trapping, cut out our spring bear, still leaves the gates wide open for everyone and their dogs for elk, and will probably bring wolves back soon to destroy what’s left.

03-Dec-18
Nice job Wv.

04-Dec-18
Thanks fellas. Tree line I think we discussed it last year and your right. Won’t be long and Colorado will have wiped out their elk heard and no one will be left to fight for hunting rights there. Predators have to be controlled. Period. Once the antis start seeing them show up in their neighborhoods eating their pets it’ll be to late.

Caught one coon today. Was able to put out about 20 more snares. I still need another 20 on that property. Once it’s set completely I’ll move to another and start setting it up. Hopefully have three good places set by the weekend.

04-Dec-18

samman's Link
They already are eating pets in Colorado. The link is from an article back in January. Our wonderful hunting dollars are going to the CPW to prevent coyotes from killing pets. Gotta love the liberals & their inability to understand that the trapping ban is the major contributor to excess coyotes, not just the building of more houses.

04-Dec-18
Nice work! Brings back so many memories...love it!

05-Dec-18
Congrats nice yotes I'm putting steel in the ground tomorrow. I enjoy trying to fool the coyotes and cats as much as I do bowhunting anymore

05-Dec-18
Trapping and bowhunting have a lot in common. Trapping requires a lot of attention to detail. You've got to the read the sign and being close isn't good enough - you've got to know exactly where that animal travels in order to successfully snare one. Then when it comes time to set the snare scent control becomes critical. I've truly enjoyed it. I guess we're lucky because in VA we can trap coyotes any time of the year.

05-Dec-18

wisconsinteacher's embedded Photo
I’m on the board!! Nice female this morning.

05-Dec-18
Thanks fellas. Let’s see some pics. Good job Matt! Nothing for me today. Got another half dozen snares out this evening. I’ll have something tomorrow hopefully.

07-Dec-18

I was able to get a double this morning. 2 degrees when I left the house. Beautiful morning though.

07-Dec-18
Nice!

07-Dec-18

Gonna try my hand at some smaller critters this evening. The dog is some kind of upset bout a mouse in the shed.
Gonna try my hand at some smaller critters this evening. The dog is some kind of upset bout a mouse in the shed.
Can’t remember the last time I went 4 days without a catch. Only got a possum today. The kids will be happy it’s their favorite. I’ve got around 40 or so snares out now. Just need a little more patience.

08-Dec-18
Those are awesome pics! Love that red colored one!

08-Dec-18
You need to level out your pan on your mousetrap WV....and your bait is spread to wide...lol

08-Dec-18

Franklin your right those victors need some adjusting. I had it bedded solid and ended up with a catch. The dogs happy now.

08-Dec-18

First time I can remember going 5 days without a catch. Had a deer at the first spot I checked. After a white knuckle rodeo ride I got her cut free and she took off. About 500 yards from the truck had a tie rod break on the wheeler. Luckily I wasn’t going very fast and didn’t wreck. I’ve got a masters degree in hillbilly engineering so I was able to get it wired back together and limp through the rest of the places I had to check. I was planning on setting up two more properties but had to play mechanic. Several beers some blood and a lot of cussing I got a new one on it. Hopefully tomorrow turns out better.

08-Dec-18

Tennjed9's embedded Photo
Tennjed9's embedded Photo
Nice job hillbilly! I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy trapping coyotes too.

10-Dec-18

Had a volunteer for the shed today
Had a volunteer for the shed today
Tennjed9 if you can get one to step on a trap pan your doing something right. Keep after em!

11-Dec-18

#4 today. Classic set up for this one. Between a cut corn field and hay field is a 10 yards grass water way. I drove my atv across it and set a cable over each tire track. 2 days later I got one.

11-Dec-18

Fourth one I’ve caught on this trail. I just keep brushing it back in
Fourth one I’ve caught on this trail. I just keep brushing it back in
Got another cherry colored one today

11-Dec-18
Dang, didn't realize those cherry colored ones were so common… Curious are those cherry pelts worth more or less that the grays?

11-Dec-18

powder's embedded Photo
powder's embedded Photo

12-Dec-18
Looks like a good one powder. Zbone from what I’ve been told the cherry ones are graded lower then the grays and not worth as much. Guess it’s harder to dye them.

12-Dec-18
Very cool!

12-Dec-18
Thanks Wv hillbilly...

12-Dec-18

Second one on this trail. Small female. Brushed it back in and put another snare on it.
Second one on this trail. Small female. Brushed it back in and put another snare on it.
On more today and a coon

12-Dec-18

Here’s a good one
Here’s a good one

12-Dec-18
Wv, Had one of those on my wife's car. She would get notes left under her wipers saying what a bad person she was, one said that Kids kill,maim and injure innocent wildlife. We live in CT. Enough said.. P.S. I need another sticker.

12-Dec-18
Dang bigern. I’ve never got anything but good comments. It’s crazy people want to argue with the truth. Send me your address in a pm and I’ll mail ya a new one

12-Dec-18
Will do,awesome & thanks.

12-Dec-18
Awesome thread!

12-Dec-18
Wv hillbilly what can I do to get you to send me one also..Please?

12-Dec-18
Dirtclod az. Send me your address in a pm. I’ll get it to ya. I’ve got a couple left

Thanks dan Wesson 357

• Sitka Gear