Bigwoods 03-Dec-18
X-Master 03-Dec-18
Gator 03-Dec-18
bill brown 03-Dec-18
VogieMN 04-Dec-18
Swampbuck 05-Dec-18
grindersonly 07-Dec-18
01-Dec-18
I'm looking for some suggestions for new ladderstands. I have a couple that are not very good for bow hunting. What are you guys using for bow hunting? I would think a field up seat and generous platform are a necessity.

01-Dec-18
I buy whatever is on sale at my local menards. I’m cheap. And they work great. Thin the last two I bought were $49 apiece.

01-Dec-18
Don't have a brand for you. But when you get the big platform and the flip up seat that safety rail comes with it. That safety rail is for protecting the deer herd:)

01-Dec-18
Is price an issue? If not, the Millenium L110 is the best, most comfortable ladder stand I’ve ever used. I am starting to transition over to more ladder stands from hang ons on my property. I haven’t used very many different brands of ladders, but the Millenium is, by far, the best I’ve tried. No squeaks.....yet.

01-Dec-18
Big game warrior DXT is very comfortable and easy set up. Lightweight and inexpensive. Very stable.

01-Dec-18
As my wife and I are getting older ,we are using more ladder stands, especially on our own property. Put several new ones up last spring . Before putting them up i made sure there were no openings that could trap water (as in rusting). I also wire wheeled them in my shop , over the winter. Painted two coats of good paint . Last coat i camo painted with three colors . As far as sitting we both prefer ,raise up seat ,so you can stand up against the tree. I like to brace off the tree while shooting if need be. I deal with low back issues ,so the foot rest is also nice . I have already made my rounds at the local stores , so I will start checking later this month for year end deals. Last year Dunhams had the flip up seat and foot rest. Got three of them for a total of $260. This year they have nothing i am interested in ,but Rural King does. Also the ones with flip up seat and foot rest ,have arm rests too. Just makes for more comfortable, longer sits . I attach a seat pad to my pack and makes even more comfortable. With arthritis , I just need more comfort than 10 years ago. Makes me more successful, by not moving all the time .

01-Dec-18
I have a bunch of them, but I think I've made a mistake by not buying them with flip up seats. The next one will have that feature.

01-Dec-18
Dont even consider a stand that the platform doenst extend to the tree base and the seat doesnt fold up.... wider is better too and get a 5 foot extension..

01-Dec-18
I just looked at some at our local Gander Outdoors this evening. They had one that had an extra wide seat and foot platform which would be nice if you're wearing heavy clothes or need to shoot to the side or back.

01-Dec-18
If you don’t care about price and want a good quality quiet comfy ladder stand. I would do a millenium or a xstand. Those two are extremely comfortable.

01-Dec-18
I like the cheapo's so I can put out a bunch. I rarely sit when I'm in them. so the seat isn't a big deal to me...however, I'll never buy another one with a "mesh/webbing" seat = danger.

01-Dec-18
I like the mesh seat ladderstands, they are very comfortable. But they will eventually ware out. I bring in the seats after the season is over. I might buy a replacement seat or two. Another thing that I look at is the platform to seat height. For shorter people that can make a big difference. A foot rest is also nice. My next ladderstands will be a big platform, footrest, shorter platform to seat height, flip up seat (non mesh, so that they will last longer and I don’t have to take the seats off at the end of the season. I try to buy the same brand/model of stands in case I need spare parts for some reason on down the road.

01-Dec-18
I buy the cheap ones... because I'm cheap. I also use them like a climber and will carry one to set up on random trees while on the move, so the smaller platform and light wt is good. I also shoot from a sitting position so I don't need much other than a seat. I've also found that where I'm at (KS) that a tall stand limits the trees I can use so I take the middle section out and make it a 10' instead of 15' stand. Easy to put up, light, and movement isn't an issue on the draw (with a short stand) if you pay attention to what you are doing.

01-Dec-18
I bought one of the big game 1.5 man ladder stands. It has a mesh fold up seat and is really comfortable. Got it on sale for $130.

01-Dec-18
jmail20, I was just looking at one of those. I'm normally a tripod guy if I get off the ground but that ladder stand piqued my interest. I like the tripods for 360* shooting, as I shoot sitting down, but they are definitely harder to get hidden because of their foot print, plus the fact that most of mine are only 12' tall.

02-Dec-18
I just got a Summit 2 man for my daughter and I and it's got all the things you specified and I was very happy with it. Just keep in mind that it'll take you and another person a couple hours to put it together and will take two able-bodied men to hoist it into position.

02-Dec-18
Don't overlook Family Traditions stands. I picked up a fixed stand and the 20' ladder system just a few weeks ago. All welded, made in MI, shipped in a huge box, powder coated, high grade straps, etc....will last forever. Not inexpensive, be arguably one of the best made, IMO.

I'm haven't been a ladder stand guy, but plan on picking one of the FT ones up next summer to try.

02-Dec-18
Trial153 x2.

I've helped a buddy put up ladder stands (serious pucker-factor getting the straps around the tree and tightened) and hunted them, but have never bought one. It seems as though there's no standard for listing the height. Some manufacturers list the height to the platform, some to the seat, and for some reason, others list the height to the shooting rail. Might be something to keep in mind when comparing one stand to another. Good Hunting.

02-Dec-18

walks with a gimp's embedded Photo
I've thought about this for years and finally got around to building it last year. It is a bipod stand that is 16' to the 24 inch square platform and has a rotating seat in the middle with a "handle bar" that you straddle. The handle bar allows you to sit with your arms folded in front of you comfortably and when you stand up gives you more stability with your legs. It doesn't interfere with shooting while standing or sitting. It is just a small safety bar for security. I even made a strap that goes around you and the bar so you can lean back against it while sitting. Shot both my bucks out of it last year but this year the activity was elsewhere. The legs of this one are solid full length so it's not really packable but future ones will be. I can still get it around on my 4 wheeler but not too handy so it is a semi permanent stand on my place. What is nice about it is that you don't need more than a 4 inch tree to support it. A tree that would normally be leaning the wrong way for a ladder, this one can go on any side of the tree as there is no center brace needed. There is only a ratchet strap for the platform and a set up security rope that you wrap around the tree when first standing the bipod stand against the tree so you can climb and secure the ratchet strap. It fits close enough that you can lean against the tree while sitting or standing yet allows near 300 degrees of shooting around you.

02-Dec-18

The pictures taken were the first time I set the stand up in the yard so they don't really depict how well it blends in in the hunting woods. I also made it so it could be guy wired or strapped as to be freestanding in a corn field or stand of small cedar trees.

02-Dec-18

bigswivle's embedded Photo
4yr old milineum. Don’t always get what u pay for
bigswivle's embedded Photo
4yr old milineum. Don’t always get what u pay for

02-Dec-18
Try the Rivers Edge Lockdown 21-2man ladderstand. Not cheap but worth every penny. Its 21ft high at the seat, has a large platform and is very comfy. My sons sits with me and we have plenty of room between us. It's built to hold up to 500lbs.

02-Dec-18
I bought two Field and Stream 16’ Ladder stands with flip up seats this fall. Used them extensively and very happy with them. Especially the price. On sale $88 - one guy can put it up fairly easy. Great foot platforms when seat is up.

02-Dec-18
Family traditions are really nice well built stands

03-Dec-18
^^^^^^

I agree, glad I found them.

03-Dec-18
If you like things built like a brick house and love quiet sturdy stands....Family Traditions in Charlotte, MI is doing it. No thin stuff. No shortcuts. Made in USA.

03-Dec-18
I'm with deerplotter on the Field and Stream Lookout Deluxe ladder stands from Dick's.

03-Dec-18
Another vote for the Field and Stream Lookout Deluxe. Make sure you get the 5 ft. extension to get up to 20ft. Decent size platform and fold up seat. Make sure anything you look at has a platform that goes the whole way back to tree and a fold up seat. You can get them from Field and Stream or Dicks. Usually between $70 and $80 when on sale. Also you check out the Guide Gear 18' Ultra Comfort Archers Ladder Stand from Sportsman's Guide in the same price range.

03-Dec-18
Big Game 1.5 man ladder stands. Comfortable with plenty room. Have four and more coming. Bass Pro 179.00 - Rural King 119.00

03-Dec-18
We have a couple X-stands. Very nice and stable when you are putting them up.

04-Dec-18
I have a Muddy treestand with a flip up seat and its awesome. Great amount of room, stable and very comfortable.

05-Dec-18
Have several guide gear jumbo 18’ and a couple 25’. In the woods for 6 to 8 years. Plenty of room. Good price, but definitely paint them before you put them out

07-Dec-18
Ive been using the Rivers Edge Bowman a lot lately. I like them very much. I wasn't always a big ladder stand guy, but the girlfriend really prefers them as opposed to portables as far as climbing into, and we have switched over to mainly Bowmans and have killed some big bucks out of them.

• Sitka Gear