Eric Vaillancourt 02-Dec-18
altitude sick 02-Dec-18
Stekewood 02-Dec-18
bowbender77 02-Dec-18
Charlie Rehor 02-Dec-18
kota-man 02-Dec-18
APauls 03-Dec-18
01-Dec-18
I am just beginning the research process. Looking at 2021. Myself, my nephew and my son. Not looking for “trophy” but a great guided moose rut hunt. Please start the recommendations. None of us are rolly in dough, so also looking at economics

Thanks in advance

James

01-Dec-18
You probably don’t want to look at Yukon then. If budget and the whole group are priorities I would reccomend looking to either New Foundland or Alberta. In NF you all 3 can hunt for the same or less $ than Yukon!

—jim

01-Dec-18
Another question, it appears that Yukon moose may cost us $20k each. Is there a better option for the rutting moose experience?

01-Dec-18
Here in Manitoba the three of you could hunt moose for around $20000. Lots of Outfitters with excellent opportunities at bulls around and over 50". Remote fly in camps. PM me and I can give you a couple outfits to look into if your interested.

01-Dec-18
You may want to clarify whether you are looking to hunt the Alaska-Yukon Moose species, or any species of Moose. Enormous differences in where you can go and cost.

01-Dec-18
Sticksender. Looking for good rutting moose experience. Don’t believe it has to be Yukon

02-Dec-18
If you feel comfortable in the backcountry with your son and nephew a drop camp is affordable. Moose are relatively easy to hunt with no experience. With 3 men not too bad to pack. If that is out I would second Manitoba. Don’t go with the cheapest though. Check out Ganglers

02-Dec-18
gong to the Yukon and not being interested in a trophy is unique. That is what it offers over anyplace else. The advice above is great. You don't buy a mazzerati and say great handling, speed, and a smooth ride it not important to me in a vehicle.

you have a lot of great options for a moose and there is no such thing as a small moose.

02-Dec-18
Some info on expectations and all in budget will help. Lots of great options but e hunters in the Yukon can easily top 60k. Are you looking for just bull moose. Any moose or 50+ in bulls. Lotta knowledge on this sight, you just gotta help these guys fill in the blanks.

02-Dec-18

Mule Power's Link
Yukon Big Game Outfitters. Monsters! Tell Shawn I said hello.

02-Dec-18
"there is no such thing as a small moose" I second that! The thrill of a 40-incher coming to your calls is almost as exciting as that of a 70-incher, and you can do it three times as often for the same $.

02-Dec-18
Great advice so far. Let me fill in some of the blanks... Killing a 50 inch bull is NOT the driver

Here are the priorities -A good experience calling in a rutting bull into bow range. -an opportunity at a bull that is representive of the area. So if 30” bulls are good for the area, so be it - great opportunity to enjoy time with my son and nephew pursuing a different species - neighborhood of $10k each max

02-Dec-18
Quote: "Looking for good rutting moose experience. Don’t believe it has to be Yukon"

With that in mind, there are decent options for guided Moose hunts in southern BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland, and elsewhere in the southern half of Canada. Outfitter cost in the range of 6-12k per man. For slightly less cost you could book with a transporter for a DIY hunt in Alaska. Many threads exist on bowsite on this topic. You can also DIY for Moose by purchasing an auction license in ME, VT or NH (price range 7k-12K).

For guided hunts the best answer might be to simply talk to the Bowsite Sponsor: "Bowhunting Safari Consultants" and explain your wants and budget. Link is above, in the Sponsors drop-down menu.

02-Dec-18
Where do you find these “easy” moose hunts? I am 0-5 on guided moose hunts and yet to release an arrow.

0-2 in AK 0-1 in Alberta 0-2 in Maine

I hunted Maine the first week in October this year and never saw a bull.

They certainly have not been easy for me.

I may be jinxed.

02-Dec-18
Eric try Papa Bear or Wade Renfro drop hunts. Hunt NE of Bethel between Kuskokwim and Yukon River. Closer to the south side of Yukon. The moose are over capacity and as a result you are allowed to kill any bull. And hunt to Oct 1st. Don’t shoot a small bull though. Be patient. It takes 2-3 yrs in line with either outfitter for that very reason. Cancellation hunts come up every year though.

02-Dec-18
For 10k max per hunter and a great chance at Being successful, look at DIY Alaska or guided in Alberta or Newfoundland.

02-Dec-18
One thing you can count on is the longer you wait the more it will cost, as a rule of thumb. Moose hunt prices continue to climb as the years go bye.

02-Dec-18
If you get back in the Bush in Newfoundland I can’t imagine not getting one.

02-Dec-18
I agree with Charlie. If I was going to do a “group” moose hunt, I can’t imagine a better place than Newfoundland. (And I’ve killed moose in Ak, BC, AB, Yukon and Newfoundland). Pick the right outfit and you’ll all kill one the first week of October...

03-Dec-18
Good luck on your quest!

• Sitka Gear